Home General Discussion

End Cuban Embargo

There is an online petition to end the Cuban trade embargo which would allow us to buy Cuban cigars legally. Check it out here... https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/end-embargo-restrictions-cuba/5cTMVjys?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

Comments

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    No petition will ever work for this
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    PsychoSJG:
    That's the spirit
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    It won't happen until Fidel dies.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Yeah, I wouldn't click on that link. Something in the URL looks fishy!
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I wont click it either... Also, It will end on it's own... We cant just not trade with Cuba because they are communist, when our preferred trade partner, China, is also communist.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    JDH:
    It won't happen until Fidel dies.
    From talking with some Cubans while there recently, this is the conclusion most of them come to as well.

The reason for this is that Fidel and Raul have used the embargo as the main reason why most Cubans find themselves living the way they do.

If the embargo were to end tomorrow, things in Cuba really wouldn't change for the average Cuban, the effect being the emperor would be seen to have no clothes.

As is the case in EVERY country in the world... the leader lives a life much different from the common man.

As a matter of fact, several Cubans I talked with said the same thing. They have no idea or vision of what Cuba will be like when Fidel and Raul are gone. These people are NOT fans of Fidel or Raul, but they "know them" and what to expect from them. With them gone the the future is completely open to changes of almost any kind. Cubans may look forward to the day when Fidel and Raul are gone, but they are also worried and cautious of when that day may happen too.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont want the embargo to end. i know it will but i dont want it to.

why?

it will ruin Cuban cigars for years. the quality will drop as production goes into hyper-drive trying to keep up with the demand from the new cigar boom. the quality is questionable for many as it is. any further drop in product quality is not what i would like to see.
    let me get a few boxes of good ones in the aging humidor first, then we can talk about the end of the embargo.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Kuzi, the newer years of CC have been very well constructed and also smoke better even fresh. The quality is back from what many people are saying.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

why?

it will ruin Cuban cigars for years. the quality will drop as production goes into hyper-drive trying to keep up with the demand from the new cigar boom. the quality is questionable for many as it is. any further drop in product quality is not what i would like to see.
    let me get a few boxes of good ones in the aging humidor first, then we can talk about the end of the embargo.
    +1
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

why?

I am pretty sure that the cuban embargo goes WAY beyond our desire to smoke cuban cigars. I'd love some cubans, but frankly, I am more concerned with the economic hardships we've placed on the citizens of the country for no good reason.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Kuzi, the newer years of CC have been very well constructed and also smoke better even fresh. The quality is back from what many people are saying.
    i agree with that. thats why i said i wanted boxes of the good ones before it goes back to *** because of the push to rush them out once demand goes through the roof.

I bet it would take 5 years for the market to get back the quality it has now.

there are some people out there that will swear up and down that the quality right now is shaky at best. i have yet to have a problem with any CCs that i have had (all made in the last 8 years)
    kuzi16:
    Marker:
    i agree with that. thats why i said i wanted boxes of the good ones before it goes back to *** because of the push to rush them out once demand goes through the roof.

there are some people out there that will swear up and down that the quality right now is shaky at best. i have yet to have a problem with any CCs that i have had (all made in the last 8 years)
    The people who are talking trash about Cuban cigars are likely people who have a vested interest in cigars from other country's.

As for the shortage problem for Cuban Cigars... I don't see that happening. The prices may go up due to demand for a short period of time, but seriously, most BOTL in the US who want to smoke a cuban have NO TROUBLE finding them now. I honestly think the biggest problem will be unscrupulous people faking them and trying to pass off crap as real cubans. Of course that will have, as it does now, have an impact on peoples opinions of the quality of Cuabn Cigars.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Will the embargo end? Yes. In the next 10 years? Doubtful. Economically now is not the time to end the embargo for the US and the government knows it. If the US ends the embargo it will put another burden on the US to aid them and get them back on their feet. Same thing with Mexico at the moment (no embargo of course). We won't help Mexico until it threatens us substantially because the US has bigger problems, like Afghanistan being one. Plus with the elections, economic uncertainty, and Mexico being the #1 Western Hemisphere concern, Cuba isn't important at all :.
  • I would think that we would start seeing cuban leaf used by all of our favorite blenders and possibly make Cuban Puros under their supervision. I'm sure they won't move back but that doesn't keep them from buying the tobacco and rolling them in Nicaragua, Dem. Rep. and other places. Right?
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I would think that we would start seeing cuban leaf used by all of our favorite blenders and possibly make Cuban Puros under their supervision. I'm sure they won't move back but that doesn't keep them from buying the tobacco and rolling them in Nicaragua, Dem. Rep. and other places. Right?
    Cuban tobacco is already sent to other countries for them to roll custom cigars. Just not meant for the US producers.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    slickric:
    PsychoSJG:
    That's the spirit
    Nice sarcasm, but I didnt say petitions dont work, I said it will never work for this. The cuban missile crisis ended 50 years ago, and get revoted on every year. There are obviously politics and secret agendas in the embargo, and americans signing a paper means diddly here.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:

why?

All true, but imagine the deals we'll see on non-cubans once these go on the market. Competition is always good for the consumer. But, Yea , stock up.
  • Marker:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I would think that we would start seeing cuban leaf used by all of our favorite blenders and possibly make Cuban Puros under their supervision. I'm sure they won't move back but that doesn't keep them from buying the tobacco and rolling them in Nicaragua, Dem. Rep. and other places. Right?
    Cuban tobacco is already sent to other countries for them to roll custom cigars. Just not meant for the US producers.
    right.. But I'm thinking we will see it commonplace if the embargo ends. I was told many of the companies moved out of Cuba partly due to the US market being closed off. I guess my theory is the quality of traditional Cuban sticks will dive temporarily but at the same time, cuban leaf will make its way into US market cigars and people like Don Pepin and AJ among others will have Cuban offerings and not sacrifice their quality. Cuban companies might not care but AJ and the gang will care about quality
  • joshvoigtjoshvoigt Posts: 325
    kuzi16:

why?

Well said my friend. Keep it just the way it is. I'm not one to drool on CCs too much competition now anyways and great cigars from so many nations and countries.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Marker:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    right.. But I'm thinking we will see it commonplace if the embargo ends. I was told many of the companies moved out of Cuba partly due to the US market being closed off. I guess my theory is the quality of traditional Cuban sticks will dive temporarily but at the same time, cuban leaf will make its way into US market cigars and people like Don Pepin and AJ among others will have Cuban offerings and not sacrifice their quality. Cuban companies might not care but AJ and the gang will care about quality
    Now if AJ could get his hands on the tobacco, that's a whole new ball game. Im in.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Marker:

The people who are talking trash about Cuban cigars are likely people who have a vested interest in cigars from other country's.

As for the shortage problem for Cuban Cigars... I don't see that happening. The prices may go up due to demand for a short period of time, but seriously, most BOTL in the US who want to smoke a cuban have NO TROUBLE finding them now. I honestly think the biggest problem will be unscrupulous people faking them and trying to pass off crap as real cubans. Of course that will have, as it does now, have an impact on peoples opinions of the quality of Cuabn Cigars.
    The problem will be just like the boom problem, where production of cigars in Cuba shot through the roof way too quickly, causing all concerns for quality control, blending, etc. to go right out the door (the dark years from '99 through 2001 or so) when demand exceeded supply. If suddenly every Joe Schmoe on the street could suddenly smoke the Forbidden Fruit, whether they are a regular cigar smoker, or a guy who smokes a cigar a few times a year on the golf course or while playing cards, the numbers just won't add up. Think about cigars like the Montecristo No.4... they are one of the most widely produced cigars coming out of Cuba right now, and they are inconsistent as hell. Imagine if they suddenly had to double the number of cigars they were producing? Chaos. Total chaos.

For the sake of the cigars I love to smoke, I hope it never happens.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    docbp87:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Marker:

The problem will be just like the boom problem, where production of cigars in Cuba shot through the roof way too quickly, causing all concerns for quality control, blending, etc. to go right out the door (the dark years from '99 through 2001 or so) when demand exceeded supply. If suddenly every Joe Schmoe on the street could suddenly smoke the Forbidden Fruit, whether they are a regular cigar smoker, or a guy who smokes a cigar a few times a year on the golf course or while playing cards, the numbers just won't add up. Think about cigars like the Montecristo No.4... they are one of the most widely produced cigars coming out of Cuba right now, and they are inconsistent as hell. Imagine if they suddenly had to double the number of cigars they were producing? Chaos. Total chaos.

For the sake of the cigars I love to smoke, I hope it never happens.
    I have to agree with Doc and others on this one...it wouldn't be worth the quality compromise which is finally starting to get back on par with the "cubans of the good days" and I would hate for this trend to get stunted.
    xIcedGuardianx:
    THIS WOULD BE THE REAL BENEFIT OF AN END TO THE EMBARGO. As we all know, there are some terrific blenders and growers operating in Nicaragua, Honduras and the Dominican. If AJ or Pepin, or the Padrons, or the Olivas, etc, had access to Cuban leaf for blending purposes, the quality of the cigars coming from these producers would be absolutely unprescedented. It may well be the end of the market for Cuban puros, at least for several decades. I don't think there's really any way they could compete.

Note, this is coming form someone with a very limited experience with Cuban cigars, so I may be way off base, but I really don't think I am.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    JDH:
    THIS WOULD BE THE REAL BENEFIT OF AN END TO THE EMBARGO. As we all know, there are some terrific blenders and growers operating in Nicaragua, Honduras and the Dominican. If AJ or Pepin, or the Padrons, or the Olivas, etc, had access to Cuban leaf for blending purposes, the quality of the cigars coming from these producers would be absolutely unprescedented.

This is very true.

JDH:
    It may well be the end of the market for Cuban puros, at least for several decades.

This is not. Outside of America (ie. The entire rest of the world), no one smokes NCs, or cares about them. There are obvious exceptions to the rule (as with any rule), but really those exceptions are Padron, Davidoff, and Fuente. Tatuaje recently debuted in England, and has a bit of a market in Germany, but realistically, Cuba still has the reputation as being the best in the world, heads and tails above the rest. I tend to agree, if we are speaking in broad general terms. You just can't truly compete with the original best, when they have the best conditions for growing the best tobacco in the world.
    docbp87:
    JDH:
    THIS WOULD BE THE REAL BENEFIT OF AN END TO THE EMBARGO. As we all know, there are some terrific blenders and growers operating in Nicaragua, Honduras and the Dominican. If AJ or Pepin, or the Padrons, or the Olivas, etc, had access to Cuban leaf for blending purposes, the quality of the cigars coming from these producers would be absolutely unprescedented.

This is very true.

JDH:
    It may well be the end of the market for Cuban puros, at least for several decades.

This is not. Outside of America (ie. The entire rest of the world), no one smokes NCs, or cares about them. There are obvious exceptions to the rule (as with any rule), but really those exceptions are Padron, Davidoff, and Fuente. Tatuaje recently debuted in England, and has a bit of a market in Germany, but realistically, Cuba still has the reputation as being the best in the world, heads and tails above the rest. I tend to agree, if we are speaking in broad general terms. You just can't truly compete with the original best, when they have the best conditions for growing the best tobacco in the world.
    Hey Doc, how you doin? You're probably right. Like I said. I have limited knowledge of the forbidden leaf, and the rest of the world is their oyster, so to speak. It's all hypothetical anyway. It would be great to be able to go down there to vacation. My only sympathies are with the average workaday people in Cuba. I would love to see their circumstances improve.

Are you up for a trade? Shoot me a pm if you are.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Marker:

I dont think there will be as big of a shortage as people perceive . What is not being taken into consideration is that the embargo is not just going to end one day out of the blue with no warning.

Their will be political maneuvering , back room deals , interested parties with clandestine meeting and very very much money changing hands. The actual lifting of the embargo will be preceded by one to two years of political sabre rattling and backroom deals . Cuban Cigar mfg in Cuba and former ones in other countries will have more than ample time to ramp up factories to go into full swing before the embargo ends and is signed into law. I dont see very much of a shortage or drop in quality and certainly if present not lasting more than 2 years .

The Cubans will have a heads up with plenty of time to deal with quality and production , I'd bet on it . Too much money involved not to take full advantage of and maximizing profit will come from being able to provide a quality product in a timly manner with minimum cost increase .
  • PM to you Doc
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Marker:

I dont think there will be as big of a shortage as people perceive . What is not being taken into consideration is that the embargo is not just going to end one day out of the blue with no warning.

Their will be political maneuvering , back room deals , interested parties with clandestine meeting and very very much money changing hands. The actual lifting of the embargo will be preceded by one to two years of political sabre rattling and backroom deals . Cuban Cigar mfg in Cuba and former ones in other countries will have more than ample time to ramp up factories to go into full swing before the embargo ends and is signed into law. I dont see very much of a shortage or drop in quality and certainly if present not lasting more than 2 years .

The Cubans will have a heads up with plenty of time to deal with quality and production , I'd bet on it . Too much money involved not to take full advantage of and maximizing profit will come from being able to provide a quality product in a timly manner with minimum cost increase .
    Well stated Gene.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've read that the Cubans are very protective of their tobacco, and don't actually export that much of it to other countries, even now. I've no idea what the actual numbers are though. I wonder if guys like AJ, and DPG will even be able to get a hold of it if the embargo lifts. I sure hope they can when the time comes. If it comes.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    oldsoulrevival:
    I am more concerned with the economic hardships we've placed on the citizens of the country for no good reason.
    The rest of the world hasn't been embargoing them, so you can't put all the blame on the US for Cuba being a third world shithole.