Home General Discussion

End Cuban Embargo

2»

Comments

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    oldsoulrevival:
    I am more concerned with the economic hardships we've placed on the citizens of the country for no good reason.
    The rest of the world hasn't been embargoing them, so you can't put all the blame on the US for Cuba being a third world shithole.
    It's a third world shithole because it's a communist country. Only person to blame is Castro.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Psycho just wanted to type shithole because it passed the filters, but I agree with him.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Many Carribean nations are in the same state as Cuba and are not communist...
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    YUP ! What about Mexico? No embargo there, no communist government, and I can tell you that I saw much worse poverty there in some areas then I saw anywhere in Cuba.

I would not consider Cuba a third world country at all. Third world country's do NOT give free medical coverage or free university educations to those who score well on the entrance exams. Come to think of it... neither do Canada or the US.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    laker1963:
    YUP ! What about Mexico? No embargo there, no communist government, and I can tell you that I saw much worse poverty there in some areas then I saw anywhere in Cuba.

I would not consider Cuba a third world country at all. Third world country's do NOT give free medical coverage or free university educations to those who score well on the entrance exams. Come to think of it... neither do Canada or the US.
    Some states in the US do...North Dakota, Florida come to mind. But I agree, Cuba is A LOT better off than most "3rd world countries"
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    laker1963:

Some states in the US do...North Dakota, Florida come to mind. But I agree, Cuba is A LOT better off than most "3rd world countries"
    So how about them Cuban cigars?
    Thewelder:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    laker1963:

Those States have FREE medical and university education systems? I had no idea. I stand corrected. Up here our medical system is cheap... but not free, unless you are below the poverty level.

So how about them Cuban cigars?

The ones I smoked in Cuba sucked. They were too fresh, and much too moist for my liking. Like I said, next time I am bringing cigars with me to smoke while there. One day I hope to get to Nicaragua... the home of most of my favorite sticks.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    laker1963:

Shaun I tried to look for this information but could not find anything. Could you point me in the right direction to find this information? You were talking about FREE medical and FREE university educations correct?
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Not to bring Presidential politics in to it but Ron Paul is all about ending the embargo.
    laker1963:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    laker1963:

Shaun I tried to look for this information but could not find anything. Could you point me in the right direction to find this information? You were talking about FREE medical and FREE university educations correct?
    Sorry for the confusion, free medical doesn't exist in the US, but those states give free education for high marked scholars. IE: North Dakota says that is you have a 3.5GPA in high school and a 30 on our ACT then you get free statewide tuition. Florida has a similar system that is there to different levels.
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    laker1963:

My oldest daughter is a senior at ASU and got a free ride (tuition) based on test scores.......
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Not to bring Presidential politics in to it but Ron Paul is all about ending the embargo.
    We got worse stuff in this nation to deal with than whether we are nicey nice with Cuba. Ron would have a lot of work to do without sending troops all over heck and sending 1/2 our money all over heck too.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Free is generally worth what you pay for it.
    zoom6zoom:
    You may want to look into that belief a little more. The current life span of a Cuban with free communist medical services is higher then that of a North American. Just sayin, not looking for an arguement.
    zoom6zoom:
    Depends on what costs you look at...monetary cost, opportunity cost, etc.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    laker1963:
    JDH:
    It won't happen until Fidel dies.
    From talking with some Cubans while there recently, this is the conclusion most of them come to as well.

The reason for this is that Fidel and Raul have used the embargo as the main reason why most Cubans find themselves living the way they do.

If the embargo were to end tomorrow, things in Cuba really wouldn't change for the average Cuban, the effect being the emperor would be seen to have no clothes.

As is the case in EVERY country in the world... the leader lives a life much different from the common man.

As a matter of fact, several Cubans I talked with said the same thing. They have no idea or vision of what Cuba will be like when Fidel and Raul are gone. These people are NOT fans of Fidel or Raul, but they "know them" and what to expect from them. With them gone the the future is completely open to changes of almost any kind. Cubans may look forward to the day when Fidel and Raul are gone, but they are also worried and cautious of when that day may happen too.
    . . . I . . . I . . . I agree with Laker (that was hard to say Stick out tongue [:P]). A lot of people forget that most of the rest of the world trades with Cuba; that still hasn't helped the average Cuban. The leaders and military are the recipients of any wealth that comes in. Until the Castro's are dead and the military swept aside, Cuba won't change.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    zoom6zoom:
    Depends on what costs you look at...monetary cost, opportunity cost, etc.
    If you want to expand on the arguement then sure, But that was not what we were discussing when I made that comment.

There is also a cost to living in what we consider the free, modern world. As in EVERYTHING there is give and take, always.
    xmacro:
    laker1963:
    JDH:
    It won't happen until Fidel dies.
    From talking with some Cubans while there recently, this is the conclusion most of them come to as well.

The reason for this is that Fidel and Raul have used the embargo as the main reason why most Cubans find themselves living the way they do.

If the embargo were to end tomorrow, things in Cuba really wouldn't change for the average Cuban, the effect being the emperor would be seen to have no clothes.

As is the case in EVERY country in the world... the leader lives a life much different from the common man.

As a matter of fact, several Cubans I talked with said the same thing. They have no idea or vision of what Cuba will be like when Fidel and Raul are gone. These people are NOT fans of Fidel or Raul, but they "know them" and what to expect from them. With them gone the the future is completely open to changes of almost any kind. Cubans may look forward to the day when Fidel and Raul are gone, but they are also worried and cautious of when that day may happen too.
    . . . I . . . I . . . I agree with Laker (that was hard to say Stick out tongue [:P]). A lot of people forget that most of the rest of the world trades with Cuba; that still hasn't helped the average Cuban. The leaders and military are the recipients of any wealth that comes in. Until the Castro's are dead and the military swept aside, Cuba won't change.
    SEE! That didn't hurt , that much. LMAO