Home General Discussion
Options

Cuban cigars, home-made humidor, java?

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I'm not really sure that this is a good question for a first post, but i'll ask anyways...

Later this year i'm going on a carribean cruise with Royal Carribean and I was wondering if it's possible to get real cuban cigars while i'm down there, and if i'd be able to bring any back with me on the boat?  It'd be a nice conversation starter if I had some...

Also, i'm thinking about building a humidor, i'm a fairly competent woodworker with all the necessary tools, sooo... how big should i make it, what sort of design should i start with, and for shiggles.... what is the most and least favorite feature of your humidor and why?  besides the inevitable response that it's not big enough of course...

i really like the java line from drew estate as far as infused sticks is concerned, but not a lot of people i've met have smoked them.  how about everyone else?

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bacon.jay:

I'm not really sure that this is a good question for a first post, but i'll ask anyways...

Later this year i'm going on a carribean cruise with Royal Carribean and I was wondering if it's possible to get real cuban cigars while i'm down there, and if i'd be able to bring any back with me on the boat?  It'd be a nice conversation starter if I had some...

Also, i'm thinking about building a humidor, i'm a fairly competent woodworker with all the necessary tools, sooo... how big should i make it, what sort of design should i start with, and for shiggles.... what is the most and least favorite feature of your humidor and why?  besides the inevitable response that it's not big enough of course...

i really like the java line from drew estate as far as infused sticks is concerned, but not a lot of people i've met have smoked them.  how about everyone else?

Speaking of the Java ....I love 'em and the Tabak Especial as well ....they also have unbelieveable customer service as well ....( No I don't work for them but I wish I did)

• Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    To be safe, just mail me any and all boxes of Cuban cigars while on your cruise. I'll hold onto em for ya, till you're back in the States, of course.
  • Options
    Luko:
    To be safe, just mail me any and all boxes of Cuban cigars while on your cruise. I'll hold onto em for ya, till you're back in the States, of course.
    So it is possible to get them down there, you just can't bring them back in?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    Luko:
    So it is possible to get them down there, you just can't bring them back in?
    I don't know from direct experience, but from what I've heard, you about a 20 percent chance of getting real Cubans. If you do, may be difficult to to get em back.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    bacon.jay:

Speaking of the Java ....I love 'em and the Tabak Especial as well ....they also have unbelieveable customer service as well ....( No I don't work for them but I wish I did)

Is the Tabak another Drew Estate concoction? i've never heard of them, i'll have to check them out. what are they like?
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    gmill880:
    bacon.jay:

Is the Tabak another Drew Estate concoction? i've never heard of them, i'll have to check them out. what are they like?
    Yeah its by Drew Estate as well..... my opinion is the Tabak Especial tastes almost like a cross between a infused cigar and a good tobaccoey flavor...rich deep tobacco with hints of cocoa and mocha-a great smoke I had one today about lunch time
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd imagine there is a better chance of getting authentic Cubans in the Caribbean than a place like Mexico. Do an internet search for a la Casa del Habano in the Caribbean and see if there is one close to where you're going, that is a Cuban cigars store run/licensed by the Cuban govt. and a guaranteed authentic source, probably the only guaranteed authentic source actually. And if you find some Cubans, buy a Bolivar if nothing else, that's one of the finest cigars, Cuban or otherwise, that I've had...look for the petit corona, royal corona or belicosos finos. If you can hide them away pretty good, you can probably get them back on the ship with you, they're not the ones who would scrutinize you, it'd be Customs who would do that.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I'd imagine there is a better chance of getting authentic Cubans in the Caribbean than a place like Mexico. Do an internet search for a la Casa del Habano in the Caribbean and see if there is one close to where you're going, that is a Cuban cigars store run/licensed by the Cuban govt. and a guaranteed authentic source, probably the only guaranteed authentic source actually. And if you find some Cubans, buy a Bolivar if nothing else, that's one of the finest cigars, Cuban or otherwise, that I've had...look for the petit corona, royal corona or belicosos finos. If you can hide them away pretty good, you can probably get them back on the ship with you, they're not the ones who would scrutinize you, it'd be Customs who would do that.

This is good advice. I picked up a box of monte # 2s. Sealed with the cuban seal. Handwritten signature of the roller, I assume, inside. The label looked authentic and checked out. I wasn't impressed with the cigar. Seemed a little green. I have read where 95% of Cubans that make into the states is fake. Quite a racket they have going...
  • Options
    I wasn't very impressed with the Monte #2 either. I've read that this cigar in particular is wildly inconsistent due to the demand for it. Apparently they are rolled in several different factories so any quality assurance goes out the window. I guess that's the price you pay with such an iconic cigar.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I read the same thing... I guess the moral of this story is to stay away from the iconic Cuban cigars.
  • Options
    That'd be my advice.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I really dig the Java and Tabak Especial as well. I prefer the Java to the Tabak, to me it seemed like the Tabak was much sweeter. I just got a box of Isla Del Sols in, and I gotta say they are damn good too. They are more flavored than the Java or the TE, but at $1.50 a stick, they are worth every penny.

As far as bringing any back with you, every time I have gone to the Carribean (3 times total), I have brought back a few Cubans, never more than 5 though. I always have them at the very top of my bag so they are the first thing the customs officer sees when he opens it. I always tell them I am going to smoke them and have no plan on selling them and have never had an issue. Maybe I just happened to get lucky with a cool customs agent each time, I dunno. I definately see an issue with trying to bring a box through though.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bacon.jay:

the Carribean islands will have tons of fake cuban cigars just waiting for people like you: tourists.
    many people think that they can go down there and pick up a few and it will all bee good because they arent in mexico. However, the same rules apply. look for "Casa del Habano " and you should be fairly safe. this may be difficult to find and expensive once you find it.
    as far as customs go, you can take the chance but if you get caught there are fines.

again, i will not tell anyone how to break a federal law. That kind of talk should be left off of the open forum (for your sake and cigar.com's sake)

building a humidor....
    how big should you make it? walk in size. no matter how big you make it, eventually, you will want it bigger.
    whats the best feature of my humidor? i like the rich dark wood of the exterior of it. thats just personal taste.
    worst feature? too small. i know you said "...besides the inevitable response that it's not big enough" but seriously, thats the only problem i have with it.

java...
    yuck. thats all.
  • Options
    dafeeshdafeesh Posts: 9
    Hey there, I'm also planning on making a humidor. I brainstormed in a 3-d program and I think I got a model that I'm happy with. It will have two rows of three storage drawers in the middle, a long shallow drawer on the bottom with humidifiers and fans for circulation, and a larger lidded bin on the top that should be able to hold a couple boxes, or a whole bunch of singles. Not a huge humidor but should be able to hold at a minimum 150 fat sticks. If I can can figure out how to upload a pic then Ill get a render of the design. Also when I start building it I will most likely keep a build log in either general discussion or non cigar related forum. Here is a link for about the cheapest place that I have found Spainish Cedar for humidor lining: http://internetlumber.com/lumber-products/SPANISH-CEDAR-HUMIDOR-LINING
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I do have the perfect way for you to get Cuban Cigars into our country! It might be a bit tricky, but it can be done!!! I'm not as stuck up as Kuzi about this...

First you have to hire a good staff that can really work the media and then run for President. Do all the interviews you can on MTV, CNN, CBS, NBC and speak at every college in the country and win the election. After you do that you can have the embargo done away with and POOF!!! You can get you cigars. To hell with Customs! haha Good luck if you decide to take that route!
  • Options
    thats not breaking a law... thats change we can believe in. yes we can.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    At least I came up with a solution! All you did was use scare tactics about the law coming down on the entire forum... More of the same old fear mongering... hahaha J/K Ooooooook.... Thats enough of the political catch phrases.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    At least I came up with a solution! All you did was use scare tactics about the law coming down on the entire forum... More of the same old fear mongering... hahaha J/K Ooooooook.... Thats enough of the political catch phrases.
    lol
  • Options
    right now i'm trying to find out exactly what the ports-of-call are. when i find out i'll post them here and we can go from there... also, anyone besides kuzi got anything specific they like/dislike about their humi?? type of hardware, (latches, locks, etc.), exterior hardwood shell vs. complete spanish cedar w/ veneer/finish, type of finish, anything? be picky!!
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    I really dig the Java and Tabak Especial as well. I prefer the Java to the Tabak, to me it seemed like the Tabak was much sweeter. I just got a box of Isla Del Sols in, and I gotta say they are damn good too. They are more flavored than the Java or the TE, but at $1.50 a stick, they are worth every penny.

As far as bringing any back with you, every time I have gone to the Carribean (3 times total), I have brought back a few Cubans, never more than 5 though. I always have them at the very top of my bag so they are the first thing the customs officer sees when he opens it. I always tell them I am going to smoke them and have no plan on selling them and have never had an issue. Maybe I just happened to get lucky with a cool customs agent each time, I dunno. I definately see an issue with trying to bring a box through though.

Alien if you like the Java you would like the Koni as well ...give these a try they are good
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    alienmisprint:

Alien if you like the Java you would like the Koni as well ...give these a try they are good
    Koni? Haven't heard of em. I did try the Leon Jimenes Cafe Dominican, and they were okay. I prefer the Isal Del Sols to them for a cheaper, sweeter version of the Java. Where can I find these Konis?
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    gmill880:
    alienmisprint:

Koni?

my bad ...I've had a few drinks this evening ...try Kopi Luwak
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Ports of call are irrelevant, except of course for U.S. territory like PR and VI. Otherwise, you can expect signs as you get off the boat "We have Cuban cigars" usually hand written in crayon. My most enlightening experience was in a little hole in the wall shop in St Martin. The guy says "If you want to take them back to your country, we can switch the bands", and then he showed me a box of loose bands with a Te Amo label. Immediately on to the scam I asked "If you're switching bands, how do I even know the Cubans are real?" To make a long story short, I didn't buy any. Best cigar deals in the Caribbean are in the DR. (outside of Cuba, obviously)
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Most of the guys on here are right in saying Casa del Habana is one of the few places you can trust as it's owned by the Cuban government. I can speak from experience in saying that it will be expensive and I (as well as a few others with me on the cruise) did not have any problem getting through customs. I bought a travel humidor and brought my own cigars on the boat to be smoked in the cigar lounge on board. I replaced all those cigars with cubans bought on the islands (a few I knew would be fakes, just so I'd have the experience and be better at spotting fakes).

There's an internet coupon for casa del habano floating around somewhere for 10% off your purchase and they honored it for me back in November. However, still plan on spending $100 or more on a small handful of authentic smokes. As for customs, they were just looking to push everyone through as quickly and smoothly as possible. I claimed alcohol and souveneirs and they didn't question me at all. I would recommend a nice sturdy travel humidor, so you can pack the cigars with your luggage and not worry about them.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Most of the guys on here are right in saying Casa del Habana is one of the few places you can trust as it's owned by the Cuban government. I can speak from experience in saying that it will be expensive and I (as well as a few others with me on the cruise) did not have any problem getting through customs. I bought a travel humidor and brought my own cigars on the boat to be smoked in the cigar lounge on board. I replaced all those cigars with cubans bought on the islands (a few I knew would be fakes, just so I'd have the experience and be better at spotting fakes).

There's an internet coupon for casa del habano floating around somewhere for 10% off your purchase and they honored it for me back in November. However, still plan on spending $100 or more on a small handful of authentic smokes. As for customs, they were just looking to push everyone through as quickly and smoothly as possible. I claimed alcohol and souveneirs and they didn't question me at all. I would recommend a nice sturdy travel humidor, so you can pack the cigars with your luggage and not worry about them.

I'll see about a decent travel humi. if anybody's got any suggestions on good ones, chime in...

Also, if i do end up finding a casa del habano i would be ok spending $150 or maybe a little more on sticks i'm certain are authentic, so it isn't an issue of price. i just wouldn't want them confiscated. I will have to look for that coupon you mentioned...
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    I'll see about a decent travel humi. if anybody's got any suggestions on good ones, chime in...

Xikar or Herf-a-dor
    i have both. love em both
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    bacon.jay:

Xikar or Herf-a-dor
    i have both. love em both

5, 10, or 15 ct? i'm kinda leaning towards the 10, but does anybody else have an opinion?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Mine holds about 15. As for finding the shop, just google casa del habana and the name of the island(s) you'll be visiting to see where one might be located. I know in Grand Cayman, there's one in Georgetown near Margaritaville. As for the coupon, it's on the right side of the page in this link

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/LaCasadelHabano.htm

Unfortunately, that coupon is only good for the store in Cayman, but it may be worth searching around for one.
  • Options
    dafeeshdafeesh Posts: 9
    Thanks for the link for the coupon. The wifey and I just made reservations for a cruise that hits Georgetown in mid May.
  • Options
    mmaggimmaggi Posts: 9
    I've probably smoked more Cuban cigars than non-Cubans in my lifetime. A few notes: 1) Depending on where you come into, customs can be a pain or it can be a breeze. The few times I've brought them in I always go through JFK-NYC and I never, ever had a problem. Maybe it's because of the very high volume of passengers. Just remember that if you get caught bringing cigars in, they will be confiscated and you will be forever scrutinized whenever crossing into the US. 2) The majority of Cuban cigars I have purchased were authentic because I purchase them from credible sources and not some shady shop in tourist/port cities. On my last cruise I purchased smokes from some swanky cigar shop in the Grand Caymon Islands. They were real. 3) I have also had some "fake" Cuban cigars that were actually made from Cuban leaf, that is tobacco leaves from Cuba. In other words they were Monte #2, #3 & #4 in their boxes but they were not made in a Cuban cigar factory. Believe me when I tell you that the cigars were still good. How do I know they were made from Cuban leaf? Well a good buddy of mine has a father that grew and rolled the stuff until he left Cuba back in 1971 and he serves as our blood hound whenever we purchase smokes from shady characters. 4) I can't say I agree with the statement by some poster that 90% of Cuban smokes are fake. Again, don't buy from shady characters and in high turnover tourist/port cities. Buy from authentic Cuban government smoke shops and you will be fine. 5) It has been my experience that the chance of finding fake Cuban smokes in Europe is slim to none. If you're ever in Italy or Switzerland chances are you can walk into any smoke shop and find reasonably priced Cuban cigars. The airport isn't too bad a either.