Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    Very nice review. Have you had the JDN Celebration? Was wondering how it compares to the Cabinetta.

"The draw is a bit firm (almost too firm) and tastes heavily of coco. It is damn near candy-like. "

That's exactly how I'd characterize the Torano 50 Years - exactly. In fact, much of what you are saying about this cigar (except appearance), I believe also applies to the Torano 50 year. Interesting.
    the Celebracion is one of my top 10 blends of all time. it is much fuller, much rounder, and when smoked slow much woodier. the flavor of that cigar coats your palate like very few cigars do. i buy that one by the box and almost always in the toro size.

i have a torano 50 year in the humidor but i have yet to smoke one.
    I feel the same way about the Celebration...a great smoke for the money, and one of my favorites. It's a med. version of the Antonio, I think.

If you want, I'll send you a couple more of the Torano 50's, and you could do a comparison review?
    a comparison to the cabinetta? i have the 50 and can review soon. that isnt a problem.
    Yea, the Cabinetta. Send me your address, & I'll send you a few more Torano 50's. It's always good to smoke more than just one before you review, don't you think?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    every single one of my reviews has been one cigar on one day. i am fully aware that this means that if i get a dud it will be a very skewed review of that cigar. its just the way i have always done my reviews.

however, if you feel the need to send me cigars i can PM you my address.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    every single one of my reviews has been one cigar on one day. i am fully aware that this means that if i get a dud it will be a very skewed review of that cigar. its just the way i have always done my reviews.

however, if you feel the need to send me cigars i can PM you my address.
    Send it. When I get enough addresses, I'm gonna put 'em in a jar and randomly pick one for a bomb.
  • Options

2-7-12 been in humidor since 12-2-11
    La Flor Dominicana 2000 series El Toro
    (6.25 x 54)
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler, Dominican, Brazilian
    Blender: Litto Gomez

The blend of this cigar is elusive. The above is the most commonly found listing for the blend. Other listings included Nicaraguan tobacco as the binder, in the filler or both.

The 2000 series was released just before Y2K. At this point La Flor Dominicana was still a newer brand to the industry and hardly making a “blip” on the radar. The cigar that would put them on the map (Limitado I) was still about three years out. Just a few years previous, Litto Gomez had switched his brand from “Los Libertadores” to “La Flor Dominicana.” The 2000 series is LFD's original Cameroon cigar and is still out there. It is less expensive than their popular Cameroon Cabinet line, and harder to find. A good percentage of the tobacco grown for this cigar is grown on the Gomez Family farm with extra care taken in growing it. Rumor has it that the plants are placed farther apart to allow each plant to get as much sun as it can.

This cigar is a large toro (“standard” being 6 x 50) and has a serious box press. The wrapper seems dark in comparison to many other Cameroon wrappers. The smell before the light is rich and barnyard with maybe a hint of coffee to it. The lick on the cap has a slight sweetness to it. And does not feel very oily at all in the mouth or in the hand. After a quick cut the draw test has a good solid draw that is on the tight side of perfect but still damn near it. The cold draw has a raisin flavor to it, however, nowhere near as sweet.

The light with a soft flame takes a while due to the larger ring. The first draws have little flavor. There is a sweetness and a leather flavor with a very light spice late on the finish but all of these are very mild. As the cigar opens up the vegetable-like sweetness that is the signature of Cameroon tobacco comes into play and a woody musk shows up, mostly through the nose. Half an inch in the cigars burn line is perfect and it has picked up a creamy quality to the texture. Like all LFDs the flavor is mouth-coating.

Entering the middle third and this cigar reminds me very much of the Cameroon Cabinet. Te flavors are more delicate, softer, less defied and the power to the cigar is less as well. It feels like a lighter version of the Cameroon Cabinet. The burn is still amazing and the draw has actually smoothed out. The woody flavors are complex and soft. The sweetness is light and has a slight root-beer (read: sassafras) note to it. The middle third also brings on a tang on the finish. This tang is very different than the Cameroon Cabinet.

The final third has a few more spicy notes but none of the spice would I consider to be “pepper” in nature. It is light and interesting. There also seems to be a coffee note that is trying to come out. Many cigars at this point seem to lose some balance due to a hotter smoke, however, this cigar seems to become more balanced than it was at the beginning. This is not so much a surprise but it is surprising in a way because it was already very well balanced. The finish is what I find the most enjoyable point of this cigar. It is woody and sassafras in nature and it lasts a very long time. Each puff is individually satisfying and it encourages me to smoke slow and really enjoy the cigar. There has not been a single burn issue, fast burning spot, soft spot or even a flaky ash. The construction is amazing.

Even this far into the cigar, I would place the LFD 2000 series as a medium bodied cigar. The flavor is full on and in your face. This is a great example of body vs. flavor. Not all full flavored cigars are full in body. I have a lot of respect for blenders that can make a cigar with this much flavor that wont put you on your ass.

The cigar winds down as a rich flavor bomb. This is very different from the beginning of the cigar. It has a journey. It takes you with it. Very few cigars will do that.

I am very confused with one aspect of this cigar: why is this a hidden gem for LFD? This is a very good blend. It is complex, it feels good in the hand, and it is not exorbitantly priced (about equivalent to the Air Bender in price). Is this “nothing special” to the folks at LFD? Is it being phased out? Is it just twelve-year-old news and therefore not high on the marketing list?
    I don't know.
    I do know that I will buy more as I find them.

Burn to the burn time: 2 hours 5min

Burn: 10
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 10
    Construction: 10
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 10
    Overall: 9.6 of 10

seriously, why isn't this cigar bigger news or a bigger hitter in the cigar world?

if you like my reviews, please see my blog and follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Nice review there Kuzi. B&M I hit up is loaded with LFD, old and new stuff. Can't remember if they had these or not. Definitely have to check next time I go in there.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Great review. Now I want one. lol
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    So have you tried any other entries in the 2000 series? I'm curious to know if they're all blended the same or if the El Toro is a departure from the others.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    So have you tried any other entries in the 2000 series? I'm curious to know if they're all blended the same or if the El Toro is a departure from the others.
    i found zero information indicating that they are in any way different from the rest of the 2000 line. standard ring gauge differences.
    the LFD site is under construction and the old one didnt have the 2000 series on it at all. so there is no help there.
  • Options
    Interesting. I saw the 2000 series described as mild whereas the El Toro was described as medium, that's what prompted my curiosity. Guess I'll find out the old fashioned way.
  • Options
    do you have a link to that site? id love to see what other info is out threre on it.
  • Options
    2-13-12
    Room 101 Connecticut 315 (robusto 5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian grown Connecticut Seed
    Binder: Honduran Corojo
    Filler: Honduran, Dominican
    Blender: Matt Booth, Christian Eiroa

Most people that are in the know in the cigar world have seen or heard the line that Matt Booth apparently likes to say: “Connecticut with a kick!”
    Personally, I have never heard him say this. However, during the “Cigarmageddon” tour to promote the new lines of Room 101 cigars, at the Village Tobacconist in Akron, Ohio, I did have the opportunity to actually discuss the Connecticut blend with him in person. One of the points we discussed was the noted lack of a mint note or grassy note. Neither of us liked that stereotypical flavor profile of a Connecticut wrapped cigar. This was something that he went out of his way to make sure was not in there.

In my research of this cigar, I cam across at least one person that claimed that Matt Booth names his cigars after area codes. I am not sure if this is true or not, but for the record, 315 is an area code in upstate New York. It stretches from the eastern border of Monroe County to Little Falls, north to the Canadian border, east to Massena and south to near Courtland.

If that is true, I have no idea why that area means enough to him to name a cigar after it.

This Cigar is sligtly darker than the typical Ecuadorian-grown Connecticut seed. It is also slightly fuzzier. In fact, this cigar is almost rustic in nature, especially when compared to something like a Davidoff Classic (also Ecuadorian-grown Connecticut seed). This goes to show how much the process after harvesting has on tobacco. The black and silver band feature the Fu. ( from the room 101 website: “FU is a descendant of the Okinawa Shisa (or Shishi dog) - No nonsense characters that had but one mission in life – to protect ancient temples from evil.”). The band is a great presentation.

The smell is slightly floral and summery in nature. The lick on the cap has practically no flavor to it, but the nose can pick up the bouquet of the cigar as it rests in the mouth. I cut with my usual Xi2 and take a cold draw. There is quite a bit of flavor. I am hesitant to pin it down but licorice seems to come to mind. I know this is not right but it is the closest thing I can think of. The resistance on the draw is perfect.

I light using a soft flame and immediately there is a quick run maybe a quarter of an inch down one side. I can see that this is clearly a case of poor construction. The binder and filler are actually not touching the wrapper. It should not be an issue throughout the entire cigar. The first puffs are incredibly smooth and very light on flavor as well. Most of the flavor comes out through the nose with an earthiness and a slight musk. The underlying flavor is a wood that carries to the finish. There is a good balance, but it is still very light right off the bat.

As the cigar opens up there is a very light cinnamon-like spice to it. The woody notes are taking over and the round nuttiness that I associate with Honduran tobacco starts to come out. By an inch in there is a good sweetness that comes out. The burn is kind of ugly and corrective actions are needed. The flavor is wonderful.

The middle third brings on more flavor. The wood and nut flavors are nice but the finish is wonderful with hints of licorice and a nice sweetness that coats the mouth. Through the nose a slightly musky wood dominates. This cigar is mild in body and has a medium to full flavor. This could easily be a sunrise cigar.

The final third is about the same but now with a white pepper not to it as well. This is a good addition to the mix. The balance is retained.

Burn to the burn

time: 2 hours even.
    Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Aftertaste: 10
    Construction: 8
    Feel: 9
    Overall: 9.0 of 10

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Excellent review. I'm prob gonna have to pick up some more of these soon.
  • Options

2-14-12 been in humidor since 5-20-11
    Carlos Torano Exodus 50 1959 Years Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Brazilian Arapiraca Sun-Grown
    Binder: Honduran
    Filler: Esteli & Pueblo Nuevo, Nicaraguan
    Blender: Carlos and Charlie Torano

A big thanks to JJ20030 on the Cigar.com Forum For those who may not know, this cigar was named after the year that the Torano family fled Cuba in 1959 after the government took over their lands, Nationalizing the tobacco industry.

Since its release, the exodus has been one of the top rated cigars in the industry. 90+ ratings abound. Yet somehow, I have never had one. Today will change that.

This cigar is dark and oily. The copper and black band almost blend into the cigar. The cigar and band combo is dark enough that it is difficult for me to get a good picture with the camera and lighting that I have currently, so I had to get one from an outside source (http://torano.com/toranobrands/exodus50years). The smell of the cigar is a fairly classic maduro smell. It is barnyard and earthy. The lick on the cap has an ever so slightly sweet and sour note to it but otherwise there is very little. This is lighter than I thought it would be. A cut with the double guillotine and a perfect draw greets me with coco and cream notes. The draw is surprisingly flavorful given the lack of flavor when I tasted the cap alone.

A toast and a light and we are smoking. The first few buffs are very sweet. This is one of the sweetest cigars I have tasted in a while. As I roll the smoke in my mouth, the flavor transitions to a leathery-sweet, then finally a pepper on the finish. Through the nose there is a woody-spice that is quite mild. I am actually amazed at the sweetness of this cigar.

As it opens up, some of the sweetness seems to fade. It is still there but in a much subtler form. A leather note starts to emerge and maybe a coco note. The finish and through the nose still the same.

The middle third brings on more of the same. The more I smoke though, the less balanced the sweet feels to me. I would like to see the woodier tones or coco tones more in the front. As the middle third progresses past the midpoint just what I was looking for happens. The almost over the top sweet gives way to a slightly sweet coco and wood with spice on the back of the palate.

This cigar does not lend itself well to my ultra slow smoking style. It has a tendency to want to almost go out. The burn tends to be inward more than most cigars.

The final third is stronger than the the other two-thirds. This is where the “full” part of the “medium-full” listing comes in. the power has built but the flavor has remained the same. The flavor is about the same as the middle third but the spice comes out a bit more and the sweet has joined the mix on the finish. The final third is easily the best part of this cigar.

Burn time: 1hour 50 min

Burn: 8
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 8
    Overall: 8.6 of 10

if you like my reviews, please see my blog and follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Great review on the room 101 connecticut, Kuzi. This one sounds right up my alley, and I'll have to find out where to pick up some of these.

ans man, you've pretty much matched my 2012 cigar total in the last two days too. . . . having a toddler during cold and flu season is BRUTAL.
  • Options
    boydmcgowan:
    you've pretty much matched my 2012 cigar total in the last two days too. . . . having a toddler during cold and flu season is BRUTAL.
    after the review i had a Fuente 8-5-8 maduro.... no cigar tomorrow. too much BS around the house to do.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    boydmcgowan:
    you've pretty much matched my 2012 cigar total in the last two days too. . . . having a toddler during cold and flu season is BRUTAL.
    after the review i had a Fuente 8-5-8 maduro.... no cigar tomorrow. too much BS around the house to do.
    haha, good for you Kuzi.

Yeah, bad luck for me with the germs coming home from daycare this year, I'm getting crushed. Nothing major, but I've been sick almost straight through from christmas with cold after cold after cold, so I haven't had a chance to fire up more than a couple of cigars in 2012. Oh well, its the way it goes sometimes. I prefer smoking outside in the evenings anyway which is nicer in the warmer months. So I guess i'd rather be sick now than in the spring/summer. Can't wait till cold and flu season to be over though.
  • Options
    this may sound crazy, but wash your hands more. because of my job, i wash my hands around 30-40 times a day. i am convinced that i dont get sick as often because of it. once a year at most.

and i should get a flu shot...
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    this may sound crazy, but wash your hands more. because of my job, i wash my hands around 30-40 times a day. i am convinced that i dont get sick as often because of it. once a year at most.

I can completely vouch for this. I work in a lab but I split time between molecular bio and animal behavior. Believe it or not i wash my hands LESS handling animals than dangerous chemicals, lol. Last year I was doing more mol bio and didn't get sick. This year I've spent a lot more time with the animals and have had bronchitis and 3 separate illnesses altogether.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    2-16-12
    Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux (6.1 x 42)
    Wrapper: Vuelta Abajo Cuba
    Binder: Vuelta Abajo Cuba
    Filler: Vuelta Abajo Cuba
    Box Code: ORE JUN 03

a big thanks to j0z3r for this one

The Le Hoyo des Dieux is part of the the “Le Hoyo” series. The Le Hoyo series was released before the Cuban nationalization of the cigar industry in the 1940s as a fuller bodied option to those loyal to the Hoyo de Monterrey line.

“Hoyo de Monterrey” translates (Spanish) literally to “the hole of Monterrey.” this name was chosen because of the land features of the area around Monterrey were concave in nature. The valley was preferred by tobacco farmers.

“De Dieux” translates (French) roughly to “of the Gods.” Apparently this vitola was the best of the line.
    The full, literal translation is “the hole of the gods” or the “valley of the gods” giving this a very “full-egoed” name.

Don’t break your arms patting yourself on the back quite yet fellas. I need to smoke it first; and i have some doubts.
    I have smoked several Cuban cigars in the past. Some of them were pretty darn good. However, none of them have ever come close to living up to the hype that surrounds Cuban cigars. In fact, none of them have even made it on my list of favorite cigars. This will be my first experience with the Hoyo de Monterrey marca let alone the Le hoyo Series.

The cigar itself has no band on it. The line did not have a band until somewhere around 2005 and this particular cigar this is from 2003. the wrapper is a light brown and fairly rustic in appearance. The entire thing is “crooked” with a distinct bend to it. In short, this is a relatively ugly cigar.

The smell of the cigar is a sweet earth and woody. It is light. The lick on the cap is about the same just even lighter and maybe a slightly sour note. The wrapper feels oily on the lips. The draw is perfect. The cold flavor is very good. It has a sweet peat flavor and slightly licorice.

An easy light with a soft flame brings out some toasty notes with a good “sharp earth” undertone. Most people describe undertone as the “Cuban twang” but to me it just seems “sharp earth.” (“sharp” as in sharp cheddar vs mild cheddar). This flavor is in every Cuban cigar I have had, but not often replicated in non-Cuban Through the nose there are hints of vanilla and a light chocolate with a very mild sweetness. There is little to no spice even through the nose. There is a slight descant quality to the smoke. It does not detract from the overall flavor profile.

The ash falls a bit more frequently than I am used to. Some of this may happen due to the ring gauge and some of it may have to do with other factors. At least it is consistently falling at a touch over half an inch. The burn is very good. It isn’t “perfect” in the sense that it is a razors edge burn with no variance but no relights have been needed.

As the middle third begins there is a sweetness that develops on the initial draw that quickly fades into a woody-vanilla tone. The sharp earthiness still lingers and through the nose is almost identical to the initial third. There is a complexity to each puff that is quite wonderful. Nearing the end of the middle third the sharp-earth intensifies especially through the nose and on the finish.

The final third has many of the same flavors. A slight spice through the nose develops. A woody note throughout the flavor shows up and the sharp earth is in full force. As the cigar approaches the end the smoke never heats up, it never burns bitter, or gets too spicy. It is constantly complex and smooth to the the very last puff. There is not not a single burn issue through the entire smoke.

Burn to the burn
    time: 1 hour 40 minutes
    Burn: 10
    Aftertaste: 9
    Feel: 9
    Overall: 9.3 of 10

This is the only Cuban cigar that has rated over 9.0 in my catalog so far.

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Ooo, I wish I had not gifted my last (read: only) 2001 Hoyo du dauphin away today in the post. Great review.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

I can completely vouch for this. I work in a lab but I split time between molecular bio and animal behavior. Believe it or not i wash my hands LESS handling animals than dangerous chemicals, lol. Last year I was doing more mol bio and didn't get sick. This year I've spent a lot more time with the animals and have had bronchitis and 3 separate illnesses altogether.
    Yeah you guys are totally spot on there, and usually I'm solid with this. This year I think I've been a bit lax though, but the wildcard in the equation is the toddler, haha, its amazing how fast snot can get from your kids nose to your face. seriously. I don't even know how it happens, or the best is when you get home from work, pick them up for a big old daddy hug and BAM they sneeze on your face. hahaha, its all over from there, and at that point, all you can do is laugh it off and thank them for being so . . . . generous.

I'm actually over the hump on this third cold of the season and feeling good today, I think I'm gonna jump on this for my 4th and 5th cigar of the year tonight. My First Camacho SLR from Todd and my first MOW PA from Glen are going to die a fiery death tonight.
  • Options
    Great review too Kuzi, thanks for posting. I've checked out the blog a few times as well and enjoy it, but really glad you post them here too. Thanks for doing that, brother.
  • Options
    boydmcgowan:
    I've checked out the blog a few times as well and enjoy it, but really glad you post them here too. Thanks for doing that, brother.
    i was gunna stop posting here to drive post count there, but at some point i dont care about the post count. the reviews are for me anyway, not for attention. if people see it, ok. if they dont, ok. ill keep posting them here. they tend to spur conversation in a forum format.
  • Options
    Nice review. I really think the Des Dieux is a special cigar, the meeting point of great tobacco and expert blending, which imo you don't always see in Cuban cigars.
  • Options
    i think i can agree with that.
  • Options

2-21-12 been in humidor since 9-30-10
    CAO Escaparate Costa Rica, Vegas Edition
    Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Costa Rican maduro
    Binder: Ecuadorian
    Filler: Nicaraguan (Esteli, Jalapa and Condega)
    Blender: Tim Ozgener

This cigar is a very limited edition cigar that CAO put out to the Corona Cigar Co. However, this cigar does not come from there. It is from a Davidoff shop in Las Vegas. I am fairly sure that the blend is the same.
    “Escaparate” translates roughly to “showcase.” This cigar gets this name because of the exclusivity of it. CAO has an aging room where they place very race cigars that they have blended and “attempted” to produce but could not because of difficulty to maintain leaf quality or supply. This is one of the cigars that was in this room for a while. The Wrapper leaf has an undisclosed process to it that gives it a “Pink” hue (according to Mr. Ozgener) on a maduro. This color/process is why this cigar is a limited release edition. The consistency would not be there for a large run. Only a “few thousand” have ever been made.

The cigar, in fact, is Reddish-brown in color. It is a deep rich brown and only hints at red. The red, white, and blue band looks very “USA-centric” until you look closer and realize that it is in fact the Costa Rican flag, Coat of Arms and all. The second band is red black and gold and simply states “Vegas Edition.” Its a decent presentation. This Slightly box pressed cigar feels like a very fine velvet on the fingers. The bouquet is barnyard and also seems to have a minty quality to it. I had to do a double take (double sniff?) on that. After smelling it a few times I am still slightly in disbelief. The lick on the cap has a sour note to it and if held in the mouth for a moment, a bit of spice. This prelight is incredibly unique. After clipping with my Xi2 an excellent draw is reviled. There is a vegetable-like sweetness that is interestingly spicy as well.

A soft flame lights this cigar.
    The first puffs are incredibly sweet. There is a coffee tone and a spice element right off the bat. The finish on the first few puffs has a slight bitter note to it. Through the nose there is a wood flavor with slight earthiness to it. As the cigar starts to open up, a hint of spice develops on the finish. This initial third, once it settles in, is a sharp woody flavor. There is a very slight coffee and earth undertone. There are hints at spice but nothing strong

The middle third starts out on the same woody note. The smoke is slightly drying in nature. The finish is fairly short and woody with hints at spice but it never really attains that quality. The middle third differs from the initial third by being significantly less sweet. A touch up is needed as the burn veers into “unacceptable variance.”

The final third starts out with a bit more of the coffee notes. The coffee is early in the puff and fades quickly to the wood and earth. The hint at spice is still there. The sharpness of the wood flavors boarders on sour/bitter. It is not bad, but it is soomething that I dont normally get out of a cigar. The texture is turning more to the Nicaraguan side with a pulpy wood feel.
    As with many hand made cigars, the final third is also plagued with burn issues. A few minor corrective lights are needed. The balance seems to fall away in the final third as well.

Burn to the nub
    burn time: 1 hour 20 minutes.

Burn: 7
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 8
    Overall: 8.3 of 10

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Very nice! Wish they were easier to find. If you contact a rep directly are they available at ccom?
  • Options
    zeebra:
    very cool Kuzi, congrats.
  • Options
    thanks guys. im not sure how it was found by them, but i liked the repost and link.