Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

1k posts...let's play poker! RESULTS ARE IN!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
So with 1k posts approaching I thought of doing a typical pass or contest, but something about that didn't seem authentic. I'm a poker player, and I instead want to play a hand of poker with you guys. I need to credit the fact that this idea was inspired by wwestern's poker run idea that never quite made it to fruition.

So here's the deal: we can only have a maximum of 10 participants, because this is a poker table after all (and a deck of cards is only 52, you'll see why that matters). Provided the maximum of 10 is hit by then, I'll "close registration" at midnight monday.

1) Each participant will "ante up" a package of cigars, minimum 5, which will become a pass. Included in that pass will be 5 specific playing cards (I'll tell you which ones so we don't get doubles in the pass) and a list of who to pass to next (I'll supply the info. for that as well).

2) These passes will be sent 4 times. Each time you receive the pass, you do what's typical of a pass, take/put, and also take one playing card (but DO NOT replace playing card!)

3) At the end of 4 passes we will all have a poker hand, 5 playing cards. Post a pic of your hand, best hand wins and rakes the pot (all non-winning hands send the pass to that player).

Some finer details:
a) If I get a big response to this I'll put all names in a hat and draw out 9 names to play with me, and if it goes well we'll run it again so others can join in.
b) Each player will be given a letter for their pass so there is less confusion. Please write this letter clearly on you cards as well so we can make sure alll hands at the end contain 5 cards with 5 different letters.
c) It should go without saying, but no collusion.
d) All passes need wait to go out until the last one is complete, so we don't end up with a player having two passes at once (and an unfair advantage of choosing cards).
e) To play you must be on the good trader's list or have someone vouch for you as a reliable trader. More than anything I want this to go off as quickly as possible...
f) VERY IMPORTANT: do not pass super-premiums. This isn't supposed to be an episode of High Stakes Poker, it's just a home game...

Step right up...
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Congrats on your 1000th post! I'll play unless you were looking for higher post counts...
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    rburke1129:
    Congrats on your 1000th post! I'll play unless you were looking for higher post counts...
    Forgot about that part. I'll edit the original post. If you're on the good trader's list or someone will vouch for you, it's all good.

EDIT: I haven't up with the TPB thread as much as I should. You're definitely good in my book!!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Ken Light:
    rburke1129:
    Forgot about that part. I'll edit the original post. If you're on the good trader's list or someone will vouch for you, it's all good.

EDIT: I haven't up with the TPB thread as much as I should. You're definitely good in my book!!
    I'll vouch for him. He's a top notch bork. And congrats on 1k post Ken!
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

As E said, rburke1129 is good peeps, he blew the h3ll out of both of us.

As far as the poker pass goes, I'll sign up. If I win (which is highly unlikely, LOL) I will donate the cigars to the DCCC. If whoever wins donates the cigars to the DCCC, I will match the number of cigars donated.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play - if there's room for one more.....

Thanks for the game.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Ken,

As E said, rburke1129 is good peeps,
    +1,, I know im coming late to the game, if theres still room? If not thats cool ,, either way Congrats KEN!!!!!!
    The Kid:
    bandyt09:
    Ken,

+1,, I know im coming late to the game, if theres still room? If not thats cool ,, either way Congrats KEN!!!!!!
    Definitely room, not late at all! I'm keeping this open until midnight monday and if we have more than 9, names go into a hat. Just want to be fair to those that don't check every day!

And thanks all for the congrats!!
    Bump everyone check the new rule: no super-premiums.
    Bump, changed the title to maybe get more takers...I think we have the minimum met but it would be a lot of fun to get 10 hands in the pot...
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Ken,

As far as the poker pass goes, I'll sign up. If I win (which is highly unlikely, LOL) I will donate the cigars to the DCCC. If whoever wins donates the cigars to the DCCC, I will match the number of cigars donated.

I'm in, if it's not too late. Plus, I'll make the same offer to match bandyt09 with the donation to the DCCC.
    Toombes:
    bandyt09:
    Ken,

I'm in, if it's not too late. Plus, I'll make the same offer to match bandyt09 with the donation to the DCCC.
    This could end up quite a great donation to the DCCC. I don't have the collection to offer to match, but I'll definitely donate if I win!

With the limited turnout so far, I'm not expecting this to exceed the maximum 9 players (9 + me that is) so it's my guess that everyone that has replied so far will be in.
    bump. couple days left to ante up.
    Oh, by the way, congrats on hitting 1000!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    bump. couple days left to ante up.

I think I missed something. Am I supposed to send you 5 sticks as the ante? And then those five sticks comprise a part of the pass? I thought I was supposed to add my 5 when the pass got to me. Please straighten me out. Thanks.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Congrats on the 1k dude
    Marty, PM sent to clarify.

Thanks Toombes and dire!
    Ken Light:
    Marty, PM sent to clarify.

Thanks Toombes and dire!

Welcome!
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    bandyt09:
    Ken,

Definitely room, not late at all! I'm keeping this open until midnight monday and if we have more than 9, names go into a hat. Just want to be fair to those that don't check every day!

And thanks all for the congrats!!
    Ken,, somethings come up and Im gonna have to drop from this pass, However that doesnt mean our business is done,,,,lol,,, Enjoy and again congrats!!!
    Not a problem, Kid...I'll just pretend I didn't hear the second part of that post...

Marty's out as well, so this leaves us with only 3 participants though, we really need one more to make this run. Any takers?
    C'mon, y'all. We can't let this fade away. It's an awesome idea and one he11 of a chance to stumble into some sticks you may have never sampled. Ken, I'll try to get my buddy Jon(kentuckytrooper) in on this. Hopefully some more BoTL/SoTL will step up. Kid, this may call for a spanking, I was gonna bribe Ken to put my name after yours...
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    Ken Light:
    Not a problem, Kid...I'll just pretend I didn't hear the second part of that post...

Marty's out as well, so this leaves us with only 3 participants though, we really need one more to make this run. Any takers?
    only 3???? hell, count me in
    Ken Light:
    f) VERY IMPORTANT: do not pass super-premiums. This isn't supposed to be an episode of High Stakes Poker, it's just a home game...

Step right up...
    im not trying to be difficult here just wondering what we are calling super premiums...

i want my part of this pass to be up to par, but at the same time i dont want to break the rules
    415:
    Ken Light:

Step right up...
    im not trying to be difficult here just wondering what we are calling super premiums...

i want my part of this pass to be up to par, but at the same time i dont want to break the rules
    I'd probably define super-premium as 15-20+ price range. The Anejos and Opus are a gray area because at MSRP some can be had under that range, but they're difficult to find for MSRP. To simplify, let's just go with the INTENT of the rule though, because that's probably more clear. Basically I don't want a pass that you need a great collection to participate in. So if there's 1 or 2 high end sticks in there with a bunch of average to above average stuff, that's fine by me because then anyone can take and put in that pass. My collection isn't all that high-end, so I'm trying to avoid not being able to participate in my own pass! :D
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,
    Congrats on 1k...and this is one he11 of an interesting idea that should make for a very cool pass. You and I haven't done any business yet but this sounds exciting and I'd like to get in on it if you still have room. If not that's all good too - it will still be interesting to follow and see how the poker hands play out.

John

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Ken,
    Congrats on 1k...and this is one he11 of an interesting idea that should make for a very cool pass. You and I haven't done any business yet but this sounds exciting and I'd like to get in on it if you still have room. If not that's all good too - it will still be interesting to follow and see how the poker hands play out.

John
    You're in, if I could count I'd guess that makes 6 including myself.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    You're in, if I could count I'd guess that makes 6 including myself.
    Great, looking forward to it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Bump last chance tonight before midnight EST, that's 4 hours.
    Ken Light:
    415:
    Ken Light:

Step right up...

I'd probably define super-premium as 15-20+ price range. The Anejos and Opus are a gray area because at MSRP some can be had under that range, but they're difficult to find for MSRP. To simplify, let's just go with the INTENT of the rule though, because that's probably more clear. Basically I don't want a pass that you need a great collection to participate in. So if there's 1 or 2 high end sticks in there with a bunch of average to above average stuff, that's fine by me because then anyone can take and put in that pass. My collection isn't all that high-end, so I'm trying to avoid not being able to participate in my own pass! :D
    sounds good. i ve got some decent stuff within that price range. this should be fun
    OK I've got a list of 6 names including my own. I'm going to send out PM's today to get addresses and I'll be getting together pass lists and dealing cards this evening to let you all know how to start.
    Just waiting on 415's addy, all else is in order.