• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

3-1-12 been in humidor since 5-1-11
    Particulares Reserva Privada Churchill 7x 48
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Arsenio Ramos

Arsenio Ramos is not a name many toss out as one of the “great” blenders. His name is not often heard along with names like Don Pepin Garcia, Litto Gomez, or Hendrik Kelner. However, this is name might deserve to be more of a household name in the cigar world. He has done work blending for Alec Bradley, Illusione, Padilla, and Viaje. He focuses mostly on the science cultivation so it makes sense that his factory (Tabacalera Tropical) is vertically integrated. Much like Kelner, he controls everything from seed to smoke.

Thanks to Alienmisprint for getting this cigar to my door.

This is a large cigar. As of late, I have been tending to smaller cigars due to time constraints and of course, because I tend to like smaller cigars better. I find the flavor more interesting. Given that a toro usually lasts me 2 hours, I get bored with large smokes. I hope this is not the case with this one. The Particulares Reserva Privada's simple black and gold band is nothing to get excited about. It looks nice but it is very simple. The wrapper is a reddish brown with seems that are easy to see due to some mild color variation. A few dominate veins are protruding giving the wrapper a rustic look. The smell of the unlit cigar is very classic tobacco leaning slightly to hay. The lick on the cap has an oily feel on the lips with a slightly dry and sour feeling left in the mouth. The draw is coco and has a hint of a spice to it. The resistance on the draw is good.

I light with my usual soft flame.
    the first few puffs are very woody and have a spice undertone. There is a slight sweetness that seems to transition into the spice. There is a “meaty” quality to it that I cant quite pin down. It is very light. As the cigar settles in the spice dims down, only showing up in the finish. It is more of a texture than anything. The meatiness picks up. This first third tones down quickly and smooths out nicely. The finish by the end of the first third is less spice and more spinach in quality. There is also a “mineral” quality to it. The texture is actually the low point of this cigar. It is very pulpy in nature and slightly distracting. This doesn't really surprise me given that it is a Nicaraguan puro.

When this cigar is resting the smoke is almost nonexistent; almost to the point of thinking it has gone out. However, once a puff is drawn a huge volume of smoke comes out to play. The burn is good through the first third and the ash drops consistently at one inch.

The middle third is starting off smoother than the first third. The only flavor that really shows up that wasnt there before is a slightly “charred” flavor. It is very mild. The meaty flavor is mostly on the finish now and it is tending to lean to leather. By the mid point the spice has all but disappeared. It is just smooth and leathery-sweet with a mineral undertone. A faint coffee at times enters the mix on the finish. Through the nose is the only place where there is spice at all.

The final third is starting to show the strength of the cigar as medium to medium-full at most. The flavors have not changed much but they are intensifying in general. As the final third progresses, the spice starts to make a comeback. The charred flavor picks up some but not in a bad way. I am just more aware of it. The last third overall is very uneventful.

Burn to the nub
    burn time: 2hours 30 minutes

Burn: 9
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 8
    Overall: 8.4 of 10

if you like my reviews, please see my blog and follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Excellent review as always Kuz. I had my first one of these a couple weeks myself, albeit in a smaller vitola, and found it to be an excellent smoke as well. I think I read somewhere that the line was / is being discontinued??? If so, thats a shame... could see Particulares going into the regular rotation if they're still out there to be had.

• Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I found the toros for some reason always kick my ass. Weird because I lean towards fuller sticks.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Excellent review as always Kuz. I had my first one of these a couple weeks myself, albeit in a smaller vitola, and found it to be an excellent smoke as well. I think I read somewhere that the line was / is being discontinued??? If so, thats a shame... could see Particulares going into the regular rotation if they're still out there to be had.

i have it at an 8.4 for me. its a good smoke but given the humidor space that i have (or dont have) i want to buy things that rate higher for me or that i have yet to try. i just dont see it being in my rotation. im glad i had it, but im not rushing out to get more.
  • Options
    rossdavey2:
    I found the toros for some reason always kick my ass. Weird because I lean towards fuller sticks.
    it may just have seemed not as strong for me because i did have a very large meal just before smoking this. plus i was very hydrated. maybe if this was a different day where i didnt have as much to eat i would have felt it as stronger.
    remember: one cigar on one day.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    The Sniper:

i have it at an 8.4 for me. its a good smoke but given the humidor space that i have (or dont have) i want to buy things that rate higher for me or that i have yet to try. i just dont see it being in my rotation. im glad i had it, but im not rushing out to get more.
    Understood. This wouldnt be a "special occasion" cigar by any stretch, but for times when Im tinkering and just want something good to puff on without paying a ton of attention to it, I think the Particulares would be a winner.

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    kuzi16:
    The Sniper:

Understood. This wouldnt be a "special occasion" cigar by any stretch, but for times when Im tinkering and just want something good to puff on without paying a ton of attention to it, I think the Particulares would be a winner.

That was my take on this stick when I read this as well Glen. Great review Matt!
  • Options

La Herencia Cubana CORE corona (5 x 42)
    Wrapper: Habano Ecuador sun-grown ligero
    Binder: Esteli Habano viso
    Filler: Esteli ligero, Jamastran ligero, Pennsylvania Broadleaf, Nicaraguan Ometepe ligero
    Blender: AJ Fernandez

Given that the wrapper is a ligero leaf my usual concerns about combustion apply. However, given my experience with AJ blends and knowing the care he takes in his fermentation process, my mind is set a bit at ease. For those that may not know, the ligero leaf is left on the plant longer than all the other leaves when using the “priming” harvesting method. This leaves them in the sun longer giving them time to grow thicker and richer. The trade-off is a leaf that does not burn as well. Usually the ligero leaves are a part of the filler. Not only are they they part of the filler, but they are in the center of the filler surrounded by leaves that will help them burn. They still burn slower than the other leaves and you are left with a cigar that will have a cone shape “cherry”if you smoke it at a normal pace.

What is also interesting about this blend is that a new found wrapper leaf is being used as a filler. PA Broadleaf has been used as filler and binder for quite some time but AJ Fernandez found a way to make it a good wrapper and put it on the map as such (Man o War Puro Authentico Maduro, 5 Vegas AAA, Diesel). Now we find this “wrapper” in the filler again.

The other very notable leaf int his blend is the Nicaraguan Ometepe Ligero. Ometepe is one of the finest growing regions in Nicaragua. Tobacco from this region is difficult to acquire, transport, grow, etc. These difficulties are mainly because Ometepe is the island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. The Volcanic soil, moist conditions and near perfect cloud cover make it one of the best growing regions in the world. The tobacco grown there is tall and lush due to the growing conditions that are often compared to the conditions in Vuelta Abajo (one of the best growing regions to grow tobacco in Cuba.)

The Cigar has what I could jokingly call a “brown paper bag” band. However, this band has the La Harencia Cubana Logo embossed on in it dark brown and gold. The dark brown of the lettering is about the same brown as the color of the wrapper. There are a few notable veins and the seems are easy to see. There is an oily sheen to it. It is a rustic little box-pressed cigar in overall appearance.

The Band is very difficult to get off of the cigar. This is a personal pet peeve of mine. Too much glue on the band at best makes the band hard to get off. At worst, it takes a bit of the wrapper with it and damages the cigar. After a struggle with the band the cigar survived unscathed. The smell of the cigar is slightly to the woody side but unremarkable. The lick on the cap has a decent amount of spice to it. It feels oily in the mouth. After a cut with a double guillotine a chocolatey draw with a hint of spice is exposed. The draw is a touch on the tight side.

Lit with a soft flame.
    The fist few puffs have quite a bit of spice to it. There is an overall woody flavor and pulpy texture. There is a very slight clove flavor to it. A meaty undertone is present throughout and eventually is the finish. It seems to linger. Pepper and wood seem to be very dominant. As the cigar settles in the spice smooths out but is still present. A chocolatey note pops in and replaces the meaty tone and the finish shortens but remains chocolatey and in a way still meaty.

As the cigar enters the middle third, it has settled down quite a bit. There is still spice there but it has smoothed out. The finish is wonderful and long. It works with the initial taste but the initial taste feels a touch thin. It is almost as if this cigar was designed to come on late in the puff. The second third is much more enjoyable than the first. The flavor explosion of the first third is almost overwhelming.

The final third begins with a touch up light. The flavor becomes very heavy on the wood and the spice kicks back up. The smoke has a pulpier texture than before. The strength is noticeable now. I would plant it in the full category but not as full as some of the super-full heavyweights out there. The further into the final third I get the hotter it seems to burn and there is more bite to it.

Burn to the nub.
    Time 1 hour 30 minutes

Burn: 8
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 9
    Overall: 8.4 of 10

if you like my reviews, please see my blog and follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Excellent review. I have three of the Core resting in two different sizes and from the review, I might try one later in the year. I'm wondering if this blend would be a good candidate for long term rest...
  • Options
    Great review kuzi, you really nailed this one! I personally love this stick, especially in the robusto. The wood & spice you mentioned are a big winner to me, and I always get a ton of these which is a plus. This stick continues the "really good stick at a SUPER price point" value trend that LHC is known for. I would rank em - 1. Core - 2. LHC Original - 3. LHC Oscuro Fuerte personally, That being said, they're ALL great sticks I look forward to when I see em in the humidor.

• Options
    SaVas:
    Excellent review. I have three of the Core resting in two different sizes and from the review, I might try one later in the year. I'm wondering if this blend would be a good candidate for long term rest...
    yes yes yes.
    especially for someone like me that generally likes cigars that are less spicy.
    this cigar feels young to me. much like the 5 Vegas relic, i feel this will probably be very good with 5+ years of age on them.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Great review kuzi, you really nailed this one! I personally love this stick, especially in the robusto. The wood & spice you mentioned are a big winner to me, and I always get a ton of these which is a plus.
    as you can see by the score it is a bit much on the spice/wood/pulp combo for me. 8.4 is a respectable score but it is hardly in my "favorites list"
    i feel that it could have been more balanced.
    The Sniper:
    I would rank em - 1. Core - 2. LHC Original - 3. LHC Oscuro Fuerte personally, That being said, they're ALL great sticks I look forward to when I see em in the humidor.

i would rate them in the same order as you.
    however, i would say that the LHC line is the weakest line in AJs premium lineup. of course the price point gives that away as well. the MoW being the best brand.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    The Sniper:
    I would rank em - 1. Core - 2. LHC Original - 3. LHC Oscuro Fuerte personally, That being said, they're ALL great sticks I look forward to when I see em in the humidor.

i would rate them in the same order as you.
    however, i would say that the LHC line is the weakest line in AJs premium lineup. of course the price point gives that away as well. the MoW being the best brand.
    Agreed brother. Anyone reading this should keep in mind two things 1) any time you get a chance to jump on AJ sticks at a low price point (sale or everyday value), you gotta jump on it! and 2) The weakest of AJ's blends would be the creme de la creme of Gurkha, Graycliff and a host of others! :-)

• Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I love cigar and agree that it will probably get better with age. I enjoyed a dagger last night great construction and draw only down side would be that doesn't burn have as long as the toro size that cost the same. My thinking was the extra price was due to it being tougher to roll. I def could feel the Toro in the gut more than any other cigar so I think that one is the strongest due to size. It's def in my top 3.
  • Options
    the dagger is efectively a fatter, shorter robusto.

the roll on that is actually easier to do. it is much more forgiving in terms of the bunch and application of the binder. in a thinner ring any twist or tight bunching in any spot will cause a difficult draw. in a larger ring there is still a decent draw if there is a slight twist or tight bunch in one spot with in the filler.
    this is one of the reasons that the lancero size is always expensive. you have to use the best rollers to make it.
    i cant be sure, but i would guess that the cost difference comes in due to the larger amount of tobacco, the bigger boxes, shipping cost, etc for a larger product.
    i could be wrong.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I just had the dagger tonight, it was strong, flavored of wood and spice. I couldn't tell much more than that.
  • Options
    I just figured the chisel tip was harder to roll and it was the only thing I could come up with due to it being the shortest burn time. I had 5 of them and they all burned for a shorter time than MOW PA that I also have been smoking. I def will take your word for it kuzi just can't justify the price since the toro can burn up to twice as long and the robusto I only had one but I thought that thing would never go out. I bought the daggers on the DD for a great price so I have no complaints just if I were gonna buy a box I would go with the toro. I love this cigar but it fits what I love in a cigar to a t. It made my eyes water when I retro haled and hurt my belly when I was done which I love I know I'm weird and the wood, leather, and spice were all there. I love everything about ligero. I got a feeling if you guys age this cigar you will love it. I had a hard time with fresh cigars I want to age I love I can't I like um as potent as possible. I am gonna try my hardest to age a couple of the little devils on the way.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890:
    I like um as potent as possible.
    ever try a Punisher?

• Options
    Yes I have had one and thought it was good but should try another maybe the shorty. I like the spice and numbing on the lips kinda like super hot wings but I thought the strength smoothed out about half way through. I'm hoping the little devils kick my butt this weekend.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Gaetano7890:
    ever try a Punisher?

Funny you should mention that one, aside from the lip burn I found the Punisher to be about medium+. Of course different palates on different days are going to see things differently.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    Gaetano7890:
    ever try a Punisher?

Funny you should mention that one, aside from the lip burn I found the Punisher to be about medium+. Of course different palates on different days are going to see things differently.
    totally agree
  • Options

3-7-12 been in humidor since 1-28-11
    Casa Magna Colorado Belicoso (6.5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Manuel Quesada and Nestor Plasencia

The robusto vitola of this cigar was Cigar Aficionado’s cigar of the year in 2008. This Particular cigar was handed to me at Nestor Plasencia's Segovia Cigars Factory in Estali, Nicaragua. The tobacco for this cigar was grown in Estali and Jalapa Nicaragua. Estali tobacco tends to be stronger than other regions of Nicaragua. Jalapa (north of Estali) grown tobacco tends to be milder but have more complexities and refinement to it. The overall flavor profile between these growing regions is very similar with the biggest difference being the strength. One of the key differences in the growing regions is the soil. Estali has a rich dark (almost black) soil that produces the rich dark tobacco, whereas Jalapa has a soil that is more clay in nature that is not quite as nutrient rich.

Not only does the tobacco have a pedigree, but so do the creators. Casada has been in the cigar business since the mid 70's. He originally started with mild to medium blends that had mostly Dominican fillers and Connecticut wrappers. The Casa Magna is a foot in the door to the full bodied world that may of today's smokers are demanding. The Plasencia family has been growing tobacco in Nicaragua since the 1960's after the Cuban Revolution eventually forced the family out of Cuba. In the 80's the Family lost the farm and Factory to the Sandinista Revolution and they opened a Factory in Honduras. Currently the Plasencia Family has two locations. One in Estali, Nicaragua and one in Danli, Honduras. Nestor Plasencia Sr and Jr now oversee operations of the family business and are considered to be some of the top Tobacco growers and foremost authorities in cigar tobacco in the world.

The Wrapper On the Casa Magna Colorado is dark but with a very slight red hue. It feels oily in the hand with a very smooth wrapper. The seems are difficult to see and there are few, if any, dominate veins. The black and gold band doesn't seem to be anything special.

It has a slightly spicy smell with a classic barnyard overall profile. The lick on the cap before the cut is spicy and oily. It is one of the most spicy licks on a cap I have ever had. Cut with a double guillotine. The draw has a licorice hint to it and the draw is smooth and even.

The usual light with a soft flame applies.
    The cigar opens up with a surprisingly sweet cedar note. Through the nose there is more wood and a hint at spice. The finish has a hint at coffee but it is short and light at the early minutes of the cigar. The texture is very smooth. The “pulp” aspects that I find in most Nicaraguan puros is at a minimum. This first third is milder and more delicate than was expected. The ash holds firmly and at just over an inch I knocked it off with a surprising amount of resistance.

The middle third starts out pretty much the same but with a slightly longer finish. The wood through the nose is exceptional. The balance is wonderful. The flavors are still what I would call “delicate,” but they are defined. This keeps them interesting. As the middle third progresses, coffee notes start to mingle with the mix. Much of this is on the finish and every now and again it is through the nose. This progression continues the entire middle third.

There are a few burn issues with one side consistently burning much slower (if it is burning at all) than the other side. A touch up is needed from time to time. It doesnt seem to detract from the flavor but it is slightly annoying and does detract from the overall feel of the cigar.

The final third of the cigar is again much like the first two thirds. There is a slight increase in spice while still retaining the smooth qualities. What has impressed me so far on this cigar is the depth of flavor. There may not be as many different flavors in this cigar as some other cigars and there may not be as much of a “journey” in this cigar as others, but the flavors it does have are on different levels from each other. It manages to feel round while retaining a straight forward quality. There are a few more burn issues at the usual spot for a hand rolled cigar (near the band) but none of them have a huge impact on the flavor that I can see.

The end of this cigar bring on more smooth coffee notes. The cigar is never overwhelming, never abrasive in any way, and never harsh. It is a very well balanced cigar that I recommend to just about anyone.

Burn time 2 hours 10 minutes

Draw: 10
    Taste: 10
    Balance: 10
    Overall: 9.1 of 10

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Great review kuzi. I enjoy these a lot in the afternoon. The oscuro is pretty good too.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

3-7-12 been in humidor since 1-28-11
    Casa Magna Colorado Belicoso (6.5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Manuel Quesada and Nestor Plasencia

The robusto vitola of this cigar was Cigar Aficionado’s cigar of the year in 2008. This Particular cigar was handed to me at Nestor Plasencia's Segovia Cigars Factory in Estali, Nicaragua. The tobacco for this cigar was grown in Estali and Jalapa Nicaragua. Estali tobacco tends to be stronger than other regions of Nicaragua. Jalapa (north of Estali) grown tobacco tends to be milder but have more complexities and refinement to it. The overall flavor profile between these growing regions is very similar with the biggest difference being the strength. One of the key differences in the growing regions is the soil. Estali has a rich dark (almost black) soil that produces the rich dark tobacco, whereas Jalapa has a soil that is more clay in nature that is not quite as nutrient rich.

Not only does the tobacco have a pedigree, but so do the creators. Casada has been in the cigar business since the mid 70's. He originally started with mild to medium blends that had mostly Dominican fillers and Connecticut wrappers. The Casa Magna is a foot in the door to the full bodied world that may of today's smokers are demanding. The Plasencia family has been growing tobacco in Nicaragua since the 1960's after the Cuban Revolution eventually forced the family out of Cuba. In the 80's the Family lost the farm and Factory to the Sandinista Revolution and they opened a Factory in Honduras. Currently the Plasencia Family has two locations. One in Estali, Nicaragua and one in Danli, Honduras. Nestor Plasencia Sr and Jr now oversee operations of the family business and are considered to be some of the top Tobacco growers and foremost authorities in cigar tobacco in the world.

The Wrapper On the Casa Magna Colorado is dark but with a very slight red hue. It feels oily in the hand with a very smooth wrapper. The seems are difficult to see and there are few, if any, dominate veins. The black and gold band doesn't seem to be anything special.

It has a slightly spicy smell with a classic barnyard overall profile. The lick on the cap before the cut is spicy and oily. It is one of the most spicy licks on a cap I have ever had. Cut with a double guillotine. The draw has a licorice hint to it and the draw is smooth and even.

The usual light with a soft flame applies.
    The cigar opens up with a surprisingly sweet cedar note. Through the nose there is more wood and a hint at spice. The finish has a hint at coffee but it is short and light at the early minutes of the cigar. The texture is very smooth. The “pulp” aspects that I find in most Nicaraguan puros is at a minimum. This first third is milder and more delicate than was expected. The ash holds firmly and at just over an inch I knocked it off with a surprising amount of resistance.

The middle third starts out pretty much the same but with a slightly longer finish. The wood through the nose is exceptional. The balance is wonderful. The flavors are still what I would call “delicate,” but they are defined. This keeps them interesting. As the middle third progresses, coffee notes start to mingle with the mix. Much of this is on the finish and every now and again it is through the nose. This progression continues the entire middle third.

There are a few burn issues with one side consistently burning much slower (if it is burning at all) than the other side. A touch up is needed from time to time. It doesnt seem to detract from the flavor but it is slightly annoying and does detract from the overall feel of the cigar.

The final third of the cigar is again much like the first two thirds. There is a slight increase in spice while still retaining the smooth qualities. What has impressed me so far on this cigar is the depth of flavor. There may not be as many different flavors in this cigar as some other cigars and there may not be as much of a “journey” in this cigar as others, but the flavors it does have are on different levels from each other. It manages to feel round while retaining a straight forward quality. There are a few more burn issues at the usual spot for a hand rolled cigar (near the band) but none of them have a huge impact on the flavor that I can see.

The end of this cigar bring on more smooth coffee notes. The cigar is never overwhelming, never abrasive in any way, and never harsh. It is a very well balanced cigar that I recommend to just about anyone.

Burn time 2 hours 10 minutes

Draw: 10
    Taste: 10
    Balance: 10
    Overall: 9.1 of 10

I love this cigar, first time I smoked it I couldn't believe how good it was for the price point. I grab one of these every chance I get.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

3-14-12 been in humidor since 2-28-10
    El Triunfidor (Original blend) Lancero (7.5 x 38)
    Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
    Blender: Pete Johnson

thank you Brandon (bbc020), wherever you are, for gifting me this back at Kuzipaluza. I hope you are doing well.

The wrapper on this, though dark in appearance, is not actually a maduro in the truest senses. It is naturally dark and does not get the extra fermentation at high heat and pressure that a leaf undergoes to be a true maduro.

This blend was designed to be released in Europe only basically so that the claims on the old Cuban name could be solidified. The plans were already in the works for the new blend that is currently on the market and banded in red. This original release was only in one size, the lancero and was to be limited in scope. The cigar received rave reviews, almost legendary in fact. Now the cigar is produced in small quantities in the My Father Factory.

If you would like to try this cigar in a different vitola, it is rumored that it is pretty much the Cabaiguan Maduro (a slight misnomer as mentioned above) blend. He never intended that line to have a lancero.

The wrapper isnt even in appearance. There is a definitive variation in tone over the length of the cigar. The triple cap has a pigtail finish to it. This is a very unassuming looking cigar. There isnt much to it.

the smell of the cigar unlitis very mild. Again, there is not much to it. The lick before the cut feels oily in the mouth and has a bit of a spice to it. There is also a sweetness to the lick. After a cut with a double guillotine the draw that is slightly tight has a licorice taste to it.

I light with a soft flame lighter. The first few puffs are milder than most of Pete Johnson's blends. I shouldn't be surprised given the rumor that this is basically the same blend as the Cabaiguan Maduro, a decidedly mild line. There are woody notes and a bit of a hint at spice. There is a soft sweetness and through the nose there is the classic woody spice that is a hallmark of Nicaraguan Tobacco. There is also a “deep musk.” I put this in quotes because it isnt rich or full flavored, but rather on the “bottom” of the flavor profile. I'm not sure how to explain it other than if it was music, it would be the bass line.

As the cigar settles in, the musk turns up a bit and a leathery quality sneaks in. the spice is light and mostly on the finish. It feels either slightly unbalanced or that it is missing something.

The middle third starts off mostly the same. The spice has died out a little. The wood notes prevail and the texture is slightly pulpy. At the mid point the cigar has proven to be not very complex in nature. It has good flavors so this doesnt seem to be much of a problem. The draw seems to be getting more difficult as the cigar moves along.

The final third has a bit more spice on the initial flavor. There is also a more defined wood taste. Cedar dominates the room note and also the finish. This has been the best third of the cigar so far. The draw however, keeps getting worse.

There is nothing that is actually bad that I can say bout this cigar. Unfortunately it has yet to “wow” me in any way. This cigar came with a ton of hype and though it is a good cigar, it does not live up to its reputation.

Burn to the nub
    burn time: 1 hour 25 min

Burn: 10
    Draw: 7.5
    Taste: 9
    Overall: 8.6 of 10

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Very interesting review Kuzi, thanks for posting.

Sometimes I feel like it can be hard to get an objective review once the word 'tatuaje' appears before a cigar, so your objectivity is what makes this one a good read. I tend to really enjoy almost anything DPG, and have been exploring lanceros . . . a little. So with that combo its only a matter of time before you stumble onto talk of this cigar. I've been looking to pick up a few but haven't actually pulled the trigger yet.

Ironically enough your 8.6 along with your description really solidified the fact that I'd probably enjoy this cigar quite a bit and will have to pick some up. Woody notes, a hint of spice, mild sweetness, musk and leather sound amazing to me. I'm good with a lack of copmplexity too.

Sucks your draw was bad, but I'm assuming thats more the exception rather than the rule with a DPG made cigar.

Again, great review man.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    BoydMc------While all of our tastes are different I have not heard anything "bad" about this cigar and Kuz says its solid. For what its worth, its in my Top 5 all time Fave's----Gotta try it man.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    This was the first Lancero I smokes and I'm glad I did!
  • Options
    boydmcgowan:
    Sometimes I feel like it can be hard to get an objective review once the word 'tatuaje' appears before a cigar, so your objectivity is what makes this one a good read.
    im not a big tat fan. i have not been wowed by any of his stuff. im never mad at it but i have yet to finish one and think to myself "damn, i need to buy a box of these NOW"
    as vulchor said above, we all have different tastes. i can see why people like Tatuaje, but they just dont seem to be for me.
    boydmcgowan:
    I tend to really enjoy almost anything DPG, and have been exploring lanceros . . . a little. So with that combo its only a matter of time before you stumble onto talk of this cigar. I've been looking to pick up a few but haven't actually pulled the trigger yet.
    trade for one or two first.
    i dont consider this to be a DPG cigar even though it is made in the My Father Factory. Pete definitely has his hands in the blend. i look at it as more of a Pete Johnson cigar than a DPG.