Home General Discussion

5 vegas gold maduro

So I bought a 5 pack of rubustos which right of the bat is odd for me I rarely smoke anything short of a toro. Bought these a month ago tomorrow smoked the last 1 just now and I gotta say I have never had as many burn problems as I did with these the last 2 were virtually unsmokeable. Has anyone else had this issue? I had no problem with the toro and the box press size.

Comments

• LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    At Cigarfest, I had a box-pressed from the 5 Vegas sampler that I tossed 1/4 of the way in. After having to re-light it 4 times and getting my hand dyed brown after a little moisture from a water bottle got on it, I decided it was a lost cause.

I've had a few others that I dry boxed before smoking and enjoyed them.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    sounds like what i have experienced,, wasnt just a bad batch either, as i have been gifted some as well with the same results,, (edit)
    To be honest Im not a huge fan of Cinco Vegas,, unless were talking the Cask Strength, The Miami, The Triple A and the Limitada series,, still havent tried the Freedom blend,,Thanks to JJ I was just gifted one of those.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    never had a 5v Gold Maddie that i didn't have trouble with (tried 5 of them), and im a 5v fan.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall having problems with 'em, I just didn't care for the maddie version. I like the Gold but not the maddie.
  • taythegibs:
    never had a 5v Gold Maddie that i didn't have trouble with (tried 5 of them), and im a 5v fan.
    3/4 of my humidor is 5v. I love em. I have yet to try the high primmings which I'm itching to get my hands on and the relic. But these maddies just will not burn. Hell the last 1 went out while I was smoking it with tons of smoke rolling out. Just don't get it
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    +10 on the burn problems with these. I like the Relic and the Gold never had a burn problem. I got a box of 5Vegas Gold Maduro and I'm sorry I did. I could drain an entire lighter of butane trying to smoke just one of those cigars. Damn shame.

• it may just be me but the wrap feels like its an inch thick lol
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    hmmmmm..............I've smoked probably 50 or more different types of 5 Vegas.................burn issues have NEVER been a problem............on a single one.
    A few have tasted flat, a few one-dimensional, but good yard gars............
    Love the Miami (M5 es mucho bueno con 200 dias)
    Like the Cask Strength, Limitada, and like the Gold with coffee in the morning o occasion.

• KingoftheCove:
    hmmmmm..............I've smoked probably 50 or more different types of 5 Vegas.................burn issues have NEVER been a problem............on a single one.
    A few have tasted flat, a few one-dimensional, but good yard gars............
    Love the Miami (M5 es mucho bueno con 200 dias)
    Like the Cask Strength, Limitada, and like the Gold with coffee in the morning o occasion.

agreed on the gold with jo in the mornin got 2 cask strengths i bought awhile back before my B&M stopped carrying the brand altogether havent smoked em yet
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    taythegibs:
    3/4 of my humidor is 5v. I love em. I have yet to try the high primmings which I'm itching to get my hands on and the relic. But these maddies just will not burn. Hell the last 1 went out while I was smoking it with tons of smoke rolling out. Just don't get it
    mine would be nearly the same way except for all of my trading and getting bombed by guys on here, the gold maduro is the only 5v ive had trouble with so far out of the ones ive had (ive probably smoked 20-30 5v's- gold, gold maduro, A, AAA, Classic, and Cask Strength) and besides victor sinclairs they are the only cigars i've never finished.

I have about half a box of the classics right now in the cooler, and for the price you can get them on the Sprint Sale they are a GREAT cigar, they are sitting side by side with my little pile of Aj's Fresh-Rolled :D The gold was good, but a bit too mild for my tastes, but ill still smoke em again. The A was the first cigar that i bought more than two of and i bought a ten pack right off of the bat, ive gifted/trade/smoked all but one and i plan on keeping it for a while longer to see how it does with a year on it. the AAA is one of my favorites but ive only had one since ive been really into cigars, and a couple at a buddy's wedding when i had no palate at all but i still think that they were AMAZING at that time, i just got gifted one today by Imgembo (great botl, Thanks again!) and i plan on making the AAA my first box purchase, and have been planning it for months, just gotta get the $$ together first. I stumbled upon the 5v line, and fell in love with the consistency and the variety, there is a blend for every mood of mine :D
  • taythegibs:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    taythegibs:
    mine would be nearly the same way except for all of my trading and getting bombed by guys on here, the gold maduro is the only 5v ive had trouble with so far out of the ones ive had (ive probably smoked 20-30 5v's- gold, gold maduro, A, AAA, Classic, and Cask Strength) and besides victor sinclairs they are the only cigars i've never finished.
    ive never finished a victor sinclair either i was gifted a few by my buddy on here Dude Love. didnt like em other than that the only other cigars ive never finished were the plethora of Rocky Patels ive had
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I just smoked a gold. Decided to fire one up when a friend came over for some help on a project. I asked how they compared to the cao gold maduro a while back and taythegibs was kind enough to hook me up. I like how it tasted. Pretty consistent coffe and chocolate flavor to me. Smooth until the last third which got bitter. It also went out at the start of the last third so the relight might have cause that. Lit back up like a champ. It did have burn issues through out the cigar. However still not a bad cigar. Of course it helps when you are smoking with a friend=). Would i ever buy them? Most likly not considering i have had better maduros at the same price point. You dont even need to look past to the 5v logo to find something more flavorful with a better burn. Thanks again Taylor for letting me try it out! Enjoy the AAA! I think CCOM should just make an AJ brown bag special for like 20-30 bux with 10 random aj cigars in it thats all i would ever buy.
  • seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    How are the GOLD'S please let me know, I'm having the standard 5 VEGAS as I write Photobucket
  • seagarlover:
    How are the GOLD'S please let me know, I'm having the standard 5 VEGAS as I write Photobucket
    i only have 1 left but i love em. if you want it lemme know
    The regular gold's, in my opinion, are pretty good, they're smooth and really light, a beeakfast smoke if you will. I liked them enough that i'd buy more if i found a good deal on em but with the deals ive found on the classic, they just kinda got knocked out of the running.
  • and i was referring to the golds not the gold maduro
  • and fo rhwat its worth seagar I prefer the classic in the torpedo. dunno why but had the best experience and consistancy box after box with the torps
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    seagarlover:
    Whats up with the cap on that cigar if you do not mind me asking
  • Imgembo:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    seagarlover:
    Whats up with the cap on that cigar if you do not mind me asking
    i thought the same thing till i looked really closely its the light i think hes outside
    Ah that makes sense
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Had two of these today in toro and they burned very well. However I am concerned about this dying business. I know that back in the 80's and early 90's it was not uncommon for small companies to dye their darker "maduro" lines, but I have been told by several BOTL's that dye is simply not an issue anymore.

I smoke cigars because they are delicious. But, part of the joy of lighting up a big glorious *** and herfin' to the nub is knowing that my smoke comes from pure tobacco and water. I don't want any added oils or dye to my cigar experience.

If ANYONE has any info about dyeing or cigars / cigar makers that dye cigars, please share it with your brothers.

If you watch the video of the Rocky Patel factory tour on Youtube, theres a two or three second clip when the torcidores are making the Decade wrappers and it appears that the leaf is being coated with some kind of oil. Is this "dye"? If not, it was a very viscous looking substance, and it was not gum of acacia or the sugar-based paste used for the bands.

I love Rocky Patel and 5 Vegas, and I really hope that the reason Rocky was trying to keep the FDA away was because he was trying to protect our freedoms. But it makes a lot of sense that he wouldn't want consumers to know his company was adding secret cosmetic ingredients to his product.

Now, this is just something I have been thinking about recently, and is in no way an indictment of any one cigar maker. However, I think that consumers have the right to know exactly what they are spending their hard earned money on.

P.S. This Quesada Heisenberg is questionable to me because the wrapper/binder/filler is secret. Why are companies being shady under the guise of a marketing gimmick? They wouldn't let Pepsi release a glow-in-the-dark soda without an ingredient list, so why would I smoke a cigar that could be short filler and homogenized tobacco / dyed wrapper?

Let's talk.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    P.S. This Quesada Heisenberg is questionable to me because the wrapper/binder/filler is secret. Why are companies being shady under the guise of a marketing gimmick? They wouldn't let Pepsi release a glow-in-the-dark soda without an ingredient list, so why would I smoke a cigar that could be short filler and homogenized tobacco / dyed wrapper?

Let's talk.
    No one knows the formula for coca-cola.

You smoke the quesada and tell me its crap tobacco and banana leaves. I dont believe a company like quesada would risk their reputation to make a few bucks on cheap cigars.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    youngryan216:

Let's talk.
    No one knows the formula for coca-cola.

You smoke the quesada and tell me its crap tobacco and banana leaves. I dont believe a company like quesada would risk their reputation to make a few bucks on cheap cigars.
    agreed. cigar companies are very quiet about their blends. every blend, to some degree is a secret. yes, you can find the country of origin for the wrtapper binder and filler but it is very difficult if not impossible to find more info on those leaves, such as the fermentation process and temps. or the seed that is used, or how long it is aged or how many leaves are used in the bunch.

if every cigar manufacturer disclosed every detail of their prized blends then they would be faced with copycats all the time.
    Well, actually, a few people do know the formula for coke: The owners of Coke a Cola and the FDA panel that tests it every year and reviews ingredients for safe human consumption. Obviously they can't reveal how to make it because it is their livelihood. Revealing the recipe would be bad business.

However, telling consumers exactly what is in their products is the only way to establish trust, look at the Naked Juice scandal.

And as for Quesada being above dyes and banana leaves, many say even Rocky Patel touches up his cigars.

I am really enjoying this healthy conversation between brothers. I love this site.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Well, actually, a few people do know the formula for coke: The owners of Coke a Cola and the FDA panel that tests it every year and reviews ingredients for safe human consumption. Obviously they can't reveal how to make it because it is their livelihood. Revealing the recipe would be bad business.

However, telling consumers exactly what is in their products is the only way to establish trust, look at the Naked Juice scandal.

And as for Quesada being above dyes and banana leaves, many say even Rocky Patel touches up his cigars.

I am really enjoying this healthy conversation between brothers. I love this site.
    touching up is one thing. dying a light leaf dark is very different. RP doesnt do that. again... mountains out of molehills.
    I hope tobacco juice touch ups are all I'm tasting.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    I hope tobacco juice touch ups are all I'm tasting.
    Are you suggesting that its a "paint" persay? like the fabled Victor Sinclar maduros? sprayed on before packing up?

Aj
    How many tobacco leaves have you seen look like the wrapper of a Partagas Black right off a pilon?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rocky has some dyed crap, leaves it on your lips, same as RYJ Maduro, and that party. Quesada does not. Read the history of the Heisenberg blend. They did not disclose it as part of the marketing. They wanted the smoker to enjoy it, and not be encompassed with the origin. As far as companies not discussing origins, many do it, because blends get stolen left and right in the industry.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    How many tobacco leaves have you seen look like the wrapper of a Partagas Black right off a pilon?
    none, and they won't, but that does not mean they cannot be cured as such over time.