• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

6-18-12 been in humi since 2-27-12
    Tatuaje Wolfman
    7.5 x 52
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Pete Johnson, Don Pepin Garcia.

A big thanks to Zach for the hook up on this LE.
    Like all of the monster series, this cigar carries the namesake of one of the all time monster greats. To make this representation a bit more clear the last bit of the foot is left without wrapper. This is supposed to look like the hair of the Wolfman. What this also does is give an opportunity to taste the filler and binder without wrapper. This is a rare opportunity in the cigar world.

The blend is rumored to be based off of the Cojonu series but with a different wrapper and, in Pete’s words “a twist”. This is good news for all of the Tatuaje fan-boys out there. However, I would not consider myself part of that group. Don’t get me wrong, I respect both Pete Johnson and DPG. I have met them both. I have toured the My Father Factory. I understand the quality of tobacco, the skill of the blend, the craftsmanship of the rollers. I guess my palate has never been blown away by a Tatuaje cigar (though DPG has impressed me a few times). Some people like vanilla; some people like chocolate. I know, I know… don’t flame me too bad in response to this review.

This is a large cigar. Given how large it is I am surprised at how light weight it is. The wrapper is a rich milk chocolate brown with very visible veins all over. The muddled/splotchy color of the wrapper shows some of the fermentation. It looks very nice, almost “marbled” in character. The band and the wrapper color are similar with the band being a bit lighter and significantly less varied in tone. The lettering is a very cartoonish font in a deep red. I have to say that I like this presentation.

The scent of the cigar is nice and barnyard. Its a very classic smelling cigar. The lick on the cap feels very oily on the lips and produces a peppery spice. My usual double guillotine is used to snip this cigar. The cold draw is wonderful in the resistance department. There is a great meaty-sweet taste to it as well.

I light the shaggy foot with my soft flame Xikar EX lighter.
    The initial puffs, that are sans wrapper, have a light flavor with little to it save for some spice on the finish. There is a hint at some chocolatey musk but it is too light to say for sure. Only three or so puffs are managed before the wrapper presents itself. When it does the cigar becomes a bit sweeter and the spice is a bit more refined. The spice is a good black pepper and it is found mostly on the middle flavor. The finish is a bit more woody and meaty. The initial flavor is woody as well but not as rich or meaty.

As the cigar settles in there are some coffee notes on the finish and the sweetness has died down. The spice is earlier in the flavor and lingers to the finish but never stays on there. Its mostly the woody and meaty flavor. The texture of the smoke is a bit pulpy like many Nicaraguan cigars but has a thicker chewy quality to it. At just about an inch in, the first ash falls with a distinctive “thud” into the ashtray.

Entering the middle third the sweetness makes a triumphant return. It is on the initial flavor and has a great almost sugary quality to it. The next flavor to come out in a draw is the pepper. Its a sweet black pepper and is very enjoyable. This all fades to a musky wood on the finish with spice through the nose.

The burn has been less than perfection and a touch up has been needed. I have a difficult time complaining because the flavor is unique. The OCD part of me has to fix it though.

The final third has a woodier overall feel. The spice and the sweet have toned down more and it has evened out quite a bit. Each puff is not as complex but it is still enjoyable. There are a few more burn issues but again, nothing too major. The lighter did make another appearance.

Burn to the burn.
    Time 2 hours 25 minutes.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 8
    Overall: 8.8 of 10

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review Professor Kuzi. Out of curiosity, are you going to review the little wolfie anytime soon? Would be interested to see a compare n contrast.
  • Options
    i dont have one of those.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    nice review as always Kuzi! I have been waiting and waiting to smoke mine...
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kuzi, for a review site your's is excellent. Its easy to understand and follow. Rating system is great. I just melted my eyes out reading as much as I could before my eyes got blurry. I look forward to reading past, present and future reviews.

PS The CORE review was cool to read.
  • Options
    Vision:
    Kuzi, for a review site your's is excellent. Its easy to understand and follow. Rating system is great. I just melted my eyes out reading as much as I could before my eyes got blurry. I look forward to reading past, present and future reviews.

PS The CORE review was cool to read.
    thanks.

just remember that as you go backwards the reviews get more and more basic. the first review i did (AF Hemingway signature) was about one quarter the length of what they are today. i've been using the catalog so that i can learn about cigars. i know more than i did then so i am able to put more into the review.
    my entire progression is on that site. from uber-novice to where i am today.
  • Options

6-21-12 been in my humidor since 1-26-12
    La Flor Dominicana Limitado (6.5 x 54)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra (“cloud grown”)
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican
    Blender: Litto Gomez.

Thank you to txpool for helping me find this cigar. It was on my bucketlist for a long time and you made it happen.

This cigar was a one time release in 2002 and it put La Flor Dominicana on the map.
    …Not that they were unheard of before, but this was the one that solidified their reputation as a premium cigar company. La Flor Dominicana was around in the early 1990s cigar boom and, at the time, was known as “Los Libertadores”
    By 1994 the name had changed to “La Flor Dominicana” and their, at the time, flagship line “Premium Line” was released. When the boom was over, cigar sales were not as robust and many cigars faded from memory. Litto Gomez wouldn’t go out like that. Long term plans were in the works. And in 2002 the first Limitado was released as 1000 boxes of 50. The MSRP was $395.00 for the box or about $8 each
    A decade later I paid $25 for this rare cigar. I have been an LFD fan for quite some time and this is one of the first LFD LEs to be released. It has been on my bucket list for a few years. I am now happy to say that I finally will smoke one.

This particular cigar sports the original flower cigar band that LDF did away with between 2005 and 2007. There is also a secondary band with the word “Limitado” in white on it. The secondary band is flat on the bottom and curved to fit the primary band like a puzzle. This is a lighter colored cigar than I had imagined it would be. It has effectively the same wrapper as the LFD Ligero Natural line. The Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper is not shaded by cheesecloth-like material like many wrapper leaves are during the growing season. Usually the wrapper leaves that are not shaded by cloth are considered “sun grown,” however this wrapper leaf gets a natural shade by the cloudy weather that the growing regions in Ecuador get. This is where the term “cloud grown” comes from. To me, the wrapper is lighter than a sun-grown would be but it is darker than a shade grown.

The cellophane that you see in the back of the picture above has a thin and frail feeling to it and a decent amount of discoloration. To get a better idea of that I took a picture against the eggshell walls of my house.

As I hold it in my hand, I think of how long it took me to find it and the efforts put forward in verifying the authenticity of it. In my head, once I take the band off there is no going back. Just owning this cigar is an accomplishment to me. I would consider this cigar to be one of my prized possessions, and I am about to set it on fire. It has been on my bucketlist for about 5 years so it is very special to me. I thought I would never see one, let alone have the opportunity to smoke one. Its hard to burn this one. However, cigars are meant to be smoked. They are not for collecting. What joy does one get from parking a vintage Corvette in the garage? The joy is in driving it. The only way to truly respect this cigar is to smoke it.
    I just wish I had another.

I have found myself saying this more often as of late but I still mean it and it has not lost any weight: I will try to keep objective in the review even though I have years of build up in my head about it.

The cigar has a good amount of heft to it and feels very solid in the hand. The wrapper is a little bumpy and relatively ugly in appearance. There is not much of an oily feel at all to this cigar. It looks unassuming. The smell while unlit is delicate and earthy. The lick on the cap feels a bit dry on the tongue with maybe a slight leathery spice. A cut with my Xi2 is met with more Resistance than usual. It feels like I was trying to cut through more tobacco than would fit in a cigar. The draw is ever so slightly tight but still very good and it offers up flavors that are unique. There is a meaty-licorice taste to it with spice. Those flavors dont sound like they would go well together but in a strange way they do. It is unique enough that I want to sit here and “puff” on the unlit cigar for a moment longer and even “retrohale” the draw.

The soft flame of my Xikar EX awakens this cigar from its sleep. There are some classic elements from Litto’s blending style that show up. There is a nice subtle sweetness and some light spice elements. The smoke feels smooth in the mouth. What is missing from the “stereotypical” Litto Blend is the punch from the get go. It is milder than the other Limitados that I have had. Through the nose there is a very light spice and a familiar taste that I recognize as ligero leaf. It really wants to be spicy but the decade of age is probably playing a factor in this. The finish is long and almost like toasted rye. It is very pleasant.

The first ash falls at just over an inch. Now that it has settled in the subtle spice picks up a bit through the nose but is not oppressive. There is also the above mentioned spice on the palate while still retaining the smooth qualities. The toasty notes on the finish are still the high point of this cigar. The initial flavor is slightly thin but it does contain some sweet notes and a light earth/wood flavor. It is very well balanced.

Entering the middle third the burn remains perfect. And some of the toasty notes have moved the initial flavor. The earth taste is building and the spice is being added to the finish. It isn’t losing the good toasty notes on the finish, just adding a slight spice. A light sweetness comes and goes that seems dependent on how fast I smoke; the slower the sweeter. This cigar is very relaxing and still lighter in body and power than I expected from LFD given the reputation and experience that I have with them.

The final third seems to change ever so slightly to the coffee. By that I mean, all the above flavors are still there and have not left the mix but the impression of the way fresh roasted coffee smells starts to creep in. it is a very, very light expression of this and could more easily be described as “roasty” in nature. This may have to do with the tobacco later in the cigar being coated with smoke from earlier in the stick now being burned. It is an interesting development. In this last third, the “punch” of LFD come out and hits me. Like almost all LFDs, this one smokes very slowly.

Near the end the smoke through the nose has picked up significantly more spice. The finish has become more coffee and the toasty notes have disappeared and the smokes texture is thicker as well. It has built in body over the course of the cigar.

Overall, the cigar is dynamic and complex. It is not as full bodied or as full strength as other Limitados but if you get your hands on one you will not be upset with it. It is surprising how much it is exactly like what youwould expect and what you wouldn’t expect from LFD.

Burn to the burn
    time: 2 hours 15 minutes.

Burn: 10
    Draw: 9
    Aftertaste: 10
    Construction: 10
    Balance: 10
    Feel: 9
    Overall: 9.5 of 10

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Nice review! That looks tasty. IS it me or does the cap look weird? (Like there isnt one)
  • Options
    mostly just lighting. i assure you it did have a cap.
  • Options
    txpooltxpool Posts: 30
    Glad it lived up to the hype.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    great review kuzi and congrats on striking one off the old bucket list. I also really appreciate the fact that you waited until you smoked it to cross it off even though you got in a few months back, becuase I agree with you on the fact that cigars are not meant for collecting.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Great review brother. Glad it was good!
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Great review Kuzi. I'm a big LFD fan, so thanks for adding another cigar to my bucket list.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nice write up. I scored some of these along with some 4's several months ago. I've only had 1 of each as of now and I really like them. Would like to find the other two.
  • Options
    7-2- 12 been in humi since 8-28-11
    Camacho Triple Maduro 11/18 (Perfecto (6? x 48x54x48))
    Wrapper: Honduran Maduro
    Binder: Honduran Maduro
    Filler: Honduran Maduro
    Blender: Christian Eiroa

The claim to fame of the Camacho Triple Maduro (other than being a highly acclaimed cigar from one of the most celebrated brands in Central America) is that this is the first all maduro cigar to be released- ever. The name “triple maduro” is to tell you that all three parts, the wrapper, the binder, and the filler are maduro. However, there are five different leaves, three of them in the filler and all five are maduro. This cigar was quite an undertaking to blend. With so many different factors to deal with when fermenting one leaf heavily enough to make a maduro its almost impossible to for me to conceive of the challenges with blending five leaves that have all been fermented at high temperatures and high pressures. This is why it took over a year of constant trials to settle on the blend of this cigar.

The other half of the equation is combustion. To make a maduro leaf with body and strength and durability you need to use a thick hearty leaf. It needs to hold up to the process to turn it into a useful leaf. This thick leaf, even after fermentation, has issues with burning correctly. So getting this cigar to burn correctly AND taste right is a huge challenge.

Thanks to wwestern for this cigar.

The cigar is a rich milk chocolatey brown in color with highly contrasting silver double bands at the usual spot and the foot. There are a few rough/bumpy patches on the wrapper but nothing overly out of the ordinary. The veins are dominant and thick. This is a slight perfecto. By that I mean, the taper is not drastic. If not paying attention, it would be easy to overlook the shape. At its largest it is a 54 ring, and at its smallest it is a 48.

The smell of the cigar is a classic maduro smell. I usually call it a heavy “barnyard” smell. A lick on the cap is a sweeter version of barnyard but slightly more earthy. There is also a spice that lingers on the tongue. A cut with a double guillotine and a perfect draw with notes of coco, earth and musk is revealed. My Xikar EX lighter does its job for the day. The light seems to take longer that what is usual.

The first few puffs are a bakers chocolate with a “roasty” coffee-like undertone. The smoke feels thick in the mouth but it is smooth and does not feel oppressive. Through the nose there is a damp earth/musk that is subtle and hints at spice. On the finish there is also (what I consider a signature of Eiroa’s blending style) a nice round nutty “warmth”. This nutty roundness is how I identify many Honduran cigars and Camacho uses it better than any other brand.

As the cigar really settles in the earth flavors of the smoke sweeten and pick up a deep, subtle spice when swirled in the mouth. Through the nose the musk mentioned above has dried out a bit and still hints at spice. The deep spice from the initial flavor carries through to the finish that is still dominated by the nice nutty roundness that was there in the first few puffs.

Entering the middle third and there are a few burn issues. A corrective light is needed. The nutty flavor has crept into the main flavor but it is sweeter in this part of the puff. The deep spice is there through the entire flavor and the finish is becoming woodier. The most interesting aspect about this cigar at this point is that the flavor manages to coat the mouth with flavor but still does not become oppressive. Its a thick smoke and heavy mouth feel that does not linger too long.

At the beginning of the final third, I notice that the cigar has only dropped its ash once. A woody flavor is slowly taking over but now the cigar is reducing in ring gauge.

This third brings on a few more burn issues and another correcting light is needed. The flavor has not changed much from the middle third of the cigar but it is still very enjoyable.

By the end, the power of the cigar is noticeable. I good meal helps to stave off the sweat on the brow and the punch in the gut.
    This is the definition of a powerful, refined cigar.

Burn to the burn
    Burn time: 2 hours 30 minutes

Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 10
    Aftertaste: 10
    Balance: 10
    Overall: 9.5 of 10

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    oh dang. This totally sounds like something right up my alley. Thanks for the review Professor Kuzi. I am excited to try these now.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Nice review Kuzi. I really enjoy these but I haven't had any with age on them. How do you think they'll age ?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    Nice review Kuzi. I really enjoy these but I haven't had any with age on them. How do you think they'll age ?
    They age well, got one from bandy and it was significantly different then ROTT
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    Andy, I can fix that for you..............
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    amz1301:
    Lol, you da man. Curious because I found some of the 8 stick box samplers marked down at the B&M and they were a couple years old.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    bandyt09:
    amz1301:
    Lol, you da man. Curious because I found some of the 8 stick box samplers marked down at the B&M and they were a couple years old.
    Depending on what they were marked down to, you probably can't go wrong.
  • Options
    this one had almost a year on it. the last time i had one it was ROTT and it had a longer more prominent finish. the amount of spice on it was about the same as now but there was more of the other flavors. this is kinda strange to me because the spice is the thing that usually goes first.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I've had a handful of the largest RG. It is a great cigar... Great review Kuzi
  • Options
    Hmmm...guess I'll pick one of those samplers up if they've still got them. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Great review kuzi. I haven't seen too many score a "10" in the flavor / taste category. That's saying something.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Another good review Kuzi. I preticulary like these in the robusto size. Haven't had a bad one ROTT or with age but they are different. One of my go to sticks for sure.
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    These are a fav of mine as well. The robusto is also my preferred size. I put half a box away back early '07 and just got into them a few months ago. They still have the nice spice but it's more refined and less noticeable. The cigar still creeps up on you and when I stand up after finishing I can really feel it! These are a classic IMO.
  • Options

7-9-12 been in humidor since 1-3-12
    Cuba Aliados Miami CRA Edition. Toro Viejo (6 x 53)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Maduro
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Rolando Reyes Sr.

First off, a huge “thank you” to Cigar Rights of America not only for sending me this cigar for joining (something you all should do) but also for everything they do to help makers of fine cigars and the people who smoke cigars fight for their right to do so. Keep fighting for our rights.

There are three bands on this cigar. The main band, that carries the brand name; the secondary band, that states that this is the Miami; and the tertiary band that is from the CRA. On the bottom of the primary band there is a bit of fine print that reads:
    “Original owner from Habana Cuba”
    This brand has been held by Rolando Reyes Sr twice before. It all started when he was nine years old in Las Villas, Cuba. He was convinced that he wanted to be a tobacconist. The family trade was not in tobacco. He had to seek training from Silvio Santana of the Tabacalera Pequeña in Zulueta, Cuba. After learning what he needed to know he started to work at the Jose L. Piedra Cigar Factory in Guanajay. Later he moved on to the H. Upmann Cigar Factory and the Jose Gener & Batet Cigar Co. where he became a master roller. Eventually he took his skills and created his own brand “Los Aliados” (the name was taken from an old Cuban Bus company that translates to “allied”). This brand continued under Reyes watch until the communist government confiscated his trademark “Los Aliados,” his factories, and his life’s work.

Frustrated with this gross violation of rights, Reyes packed up and came to the US in 1971 and set up shop with the brand Cuba Aliados but was unable to retain the rights to distribution of his blends. In 2004 he regained the rights for distribution and reblended the entire line. He is proud to have the name “Aliados” back under his supervision and his focus is there.

However, between the mid 70s and 2004 Reyes did have some success, just not under the Aliados brand name. He built a factory in Honduras that has 200 rollers and has over 300 employees producing over 75,000 cigars daily including the brand “Puros Indos,” a brand that Reyes himself blended.

This cigar does not come from that particular factory. This cigar comes from his Miami factory and is the only on in the brand that is rolled there. It is rolled by 4 rollers and they have an output of about 600 of these particular cigars per day.

The cigar is a medium dark brown in color and has a very classic feel to the styling.this cigar, unlike the rest of the Miami line has no cedar wrapped around it. I notice while taking the cellophane off that the cellophane is too tight. It is as if the cigar expanded slightly after the cellophane was added, or maybe the cellophane shrank. Either way, the cellophane had to be cut off as to not risk damaging the wrapper. Once out of the cellophane the cigar does have a slightly squishy feel to it but it is uniform. There are not spots that are firmer than others. The wrapper is lumpy and has a bit of a rustic look to it.

the secondary band is very difficult to get off of the cigar. I know how minor it is but this is one of my pet peeves when it comes to the cigar world. The CRA band on the inside has the note of “become a CRA member cigarrights.org 818-541-1535”
    listen to the band. Become a member.

The smell of the cigar is fairly light and has a spicy grass flavor to it. The lick on the cap has a slightly sour note. After a quick cut with a double guillotine I have a draw that is a bit on the loose side. However, the cold draw has a good flavor to it that reminds me of spice drops.

The light is difficult but the Xikar EX lighter is windproof, and that helps.

The initial puffs have a sweet wood with a hint of spice and a small amount of “bite” that lets me know that I scorched the tobacco while lighting. As the cigar starts to settle from the light a damp earthiness starts to come out and play. There is also a musk through the nose. The texture is the familiar Nicaraguan pulp with a hint of spice. There are a few burn issues right off the bat, but it isn’t clear if this is a construction issue or a lighting issue.

The middle third continues with the Nicaraguan texture and some of the damp earth notes but the finish has picked up a coffee note that is nearing bitter. There is a heartier “bottom end” to this cigar that reminds me a bit of multi grain bread. This is a mild flavor and I admit that it is a bit of a reach but I cannot think of what else the subtle flavor here can be called. A bit of black pepper sneaks in late on the finish. There is a dominating vein that runs the length of the cigar that seems to be the cause of the burn issues. The vein seems to be a part of the binder and the wrapper is lumped up over it. It burns slower and a touch up light is needed now and again. The fix is not difficult and, fortunately, doesn’t seem to have a negative impact on flavor.

The final third has the same overall feel but with more emphasis on the grain notes. The damp earth is not quite there anymore. There is also more of a woodier feel to the cigar. I’m not sure when this found its way in the door but it rounds the cigar out a bit and keeps the cigar interesting from beginning to end. The same burn issues centered around that vein are still there.

The changes in this cigar have not been drastic, but they are there. This is a cigar that I could smoke often and not feel bad about it. This is also a cigar that could easily be smoked by the fire pit with friends. I do not recommend this cigar for golfing or other activities where you must set it down for a period of time. It may even be a bit difficult if you smoke as slow as I do. The cigar wants to go out. You need to keep puffing on this one. If I did my ratings with price point as a factor it would rate higher than what it does. I would definitely put this above a “budget” cigar as far as taste goes with a “budget” price. If you want a Nicaraguan flavor that you don’t feel bad sharing with friends and wont break the bank this would be a good one to keep on hand.

Now to the non-price influenced meat an potatoes…

the burn and the draw hurt this cigar quite a bit. Maybe a different one on a different day would end up with a higher rating

burn to the burn
    burn time: 2 hours even.

Burn: 7
    Draw: 8
    Balance: 9
    Overall: 8.6 of 10

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options

Modesta V Double corona (7.5 x 49)
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Binder: Connecticut
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan
    Blender: General Cigar

A big thanks to TheKid for this cigar and for getting me started on the research for this cigar. I couldn’t have done this review without you.

When you type in “Modesta Cigar” into any search engine you end up with a list of links announcing the retirement of Modesta Fondeur, the executive vice president of tobacco and operations for General Cigar Co.( December 31, 2009 ). She has a hand in this cigar but there is no information on the cigar that pops up. As much as I respect the work of Modesta Fondeur as it relates to tobacco and literacy/quality of life in Honduras and the Dominican Republic, this is not the info I was looking for. I was looking for the namesake cigar. After much digging I was able to find more information.

The story goes a little like this:
    General Cigar was working on the Partagas 150 project back in 1993 to be released in 1995. The Partagas 150 was a cigar to honor the brand names 150th year of existence and the Ramon y Ramon to honor Ramon Cifuentes, the man behind Partagas. These two cigars were to be released in commemorative humidors of 75, with 50 of the Partagas 150 and 25 of the Ramon y Ramon blend. Later the blends were to hit the market. The 150 has made it to to legendary status and the Ramon y Ramon only made it to market as a very limited release in 2000. To find an original Ramon y Ramon from that release with the band on is a rare thing.

About 100,000 Ramon y Ramon cigars were rolled in various sizes around 1995. So what happened to all of those cigars? Enter: Modesta Fondeur. (with a bit of pushing from Mark Goldman) Around the year 2000 (from what I can gather) Mark Goldman (of Mom’s Cigars, and owner of the largest private collection of Old Cigar Store Indians in the US) and Modesta Fondeur were looking through an aging room associated with General Cigar and came across them. With reluctance, Fondeur sold the lot to Goldman. As a bit of a “thank you” the cigars were renamed after Modesta. In short, these are the Ramon y Ramon blend released under a different name.

This is a large cigar. The “double corona” or Churchill is way larger than I usually go for. I smoke slow. This could take a while; good thing I have nothing else to do.

The cigar has no band on it at all and the wrapper is pretty dark. When I think of Cameroon wrappers I have a tendency to think of some of the very light Arturo Fuente wrappers, but then I think of the Fuente Hemingway and I realize that a little extra fermentation goes a long way when it comes to color. I would say that the color is about the same as a Hemingway but this is a bit more varied in hue and there is some tooth to it.

The smell of the unlit cigar is mild but definitively barnyard in nature. The lick on the cap has nothing beyond a very mild earthy-sweet. Once clipped with my Xi2, I am met with a surprisingly rich flavor of sassafras or licorice through a very firm draw.

I light with my 5 year old Xikar Executive lighter. Its been a while since I used a torch.
    The first few puffs are light are coco and coffee. There is a molasses-like sweetness to it. The coffee is a bit later on the puff and it more describes the type of bitter that is there rather than the roasty notes found in coffee. There is no spice at all, even through the nose. At some point, this does not surprise me given that the tobacco that was used to roll this cigar was grown in the late 80s/early 90s and has been aging since 1995. Through the nose there is a faint musk that is on the grassy side. I’m not sure if that makes sense but it is the best I can describe it. It hints at the Cuban “twang” that I usually describe as a sharp earth. It seems a bit unbalanced with the other flavors. This is already a very unique cigar and it is only ten minutes in.

Entering the middle third, the cigar starts to get more coffee by picking up some of the roasted notes I mentioned it was lacking before. There is still no spice through the nose but the cigar has picked up some body. The musk and sharp earth are getting stronger as well. Very late on the finish there is a cedar note.

In the final third brings on a more hops note that replaces the cedar. There is a hint on spice late in the finish. Beyond that the the beginning of the final third is almost the same as the middle

the last few puffs have a bit more spice and a strange slightly harsh note late in the finish that I am still not mad at. Not a single burn issue was had.

Burn to the nub
    Burn time: two hours

Balance: 8
    Overall: 9.0 of 10

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

Modesta V Double corona (7.5 x 49)
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Binder: Connecticut
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan
    Blender: General Cigar

A big thanks to TheKid for this cigar and for getting me started on the research for this cigar. I couldn’t have done this review without you.

When you type in “Modesta Cigar” into any search engine you end up with a list of links announcing the retirement of Modesta Fondeur, the executive vice president of tobacco and operations for General Cigar Co.( December 31, 2009 ). She has a hand in this cigar but there is no information on the cigar that pops up. As much as I respect the work of Modesta Fondeur as it relates to tobacco and literacy/quality of life in Honduras and the Dominican Republic, this is not the info I was looking for. I was looking for the namesake cigar. After much digging I was able to find more information.

The story goes a little like this:
    General Cigar was working on the Partagas 150 project back in 1993 to be released in 1995. The Partagas 150 was a cigar to honor the brand names 150th year of existence and the Ramon y Ramon to honor Ramon Cifuentes, the man behind Partagas. These two cigars were to be released in commemorative humidors of 75, with 50 of the Partagas 150 and 25 of the Ramon y Ramon blend. Later the blends were to hit the market. The 150 has made it to to legendary status and the Ramon y Ramon only made it to market as a very limited release in 2000. To find an original Ramon y Ramon from that release with the band on is a rare thing.

About 100,000 Ramon y Ramon cigars were rolled in various sizes around 1995. So what happened to all of those cigars? Enter: Modesta Fondeur. (with a bit of pushing from Mark Goldman) Around the year 2000 (from what I can gather) Mark Goldman (of Mom’s Cigars, and owner of the largest private collection of Old Cigar Store Indians in the US) and Modesta Fondeur were looking through an aging room associated with General Cigar and came across them. With reluctance, Fondeur sold the lot to Goldman. As a bit of a “thank you” the cigars were renamed after Modesta. In short, these are the Ramon y Ramon blend released under a different name.

This is a large cigar. The “double corona” or Churchill is way larger than I usually go for. I smoke slow. This could take a while; good thing I have nothing else to do.

The cigar has no band on it at all and the wrapper is pretty dark. When I think of Cameroon wrappers I have a tendency to think of some of the very light Arturo Fuente wrappers, but then I think of the Fuente Hemingway and I realize that a little extra fermentation goes a long way when it comes to color. I would say that the color is about the same as a Hemingway but this is a bit more varied in hue and there is some tooth to it.

The smell of the unlit cigar is mild but definitively barnyard in nature. The lick on the cap has nothing beyond a very mild earthy-sweet. Once clipped with my Xi2, I am met with a surprisingly rich flavor of sassafras or licorice through a very firm draw.

I light with my 5 year old Xikar Executive lighter. Its been a while since I used a torch.
    The first few puffs are light are coco and coffee. There is a molasses-like sweetness to it. The coffee is a bit later on the puff and it more describes the type of bitter that is there rather than the roasty notes found in coffee. There is no spice at all, even through the nose. At some point, this does not surprise me given that the tobacco that was used to roll this cigar was grown in the late 80s/early 90s and has been aging since 1995. Through the nose there is a faint musk that is on the grassy side. I’m not sure if that makes sense but it is the best I can describe it. It hints at the Cuban “twang” that I usually describe as a sharp earth. It seems a bit unbalanced with the other flavors. This is already a very unique cigar and it is only ten minutes in.

Entering the middle third, the cigar starts to get more coffee by picking up some of the roasted notes I mentioned it was lacking before. There is still no spice through the nose but the cigar has picked up some body. The musk and sharp earth are getting stronger as well. Very late on the finish there is a cedar note.

In the final third brings on a more hops note that replaces the cedar. There is a hint on spice late in the finish. Beyond that the the beginning of the final third is almost the same as the middle

the last few puffs have a bit more spice and a strange slightly harsh note late in the finish that I am still not mad at. Not a single burn issue was had.

Burn to the nub
    Burn time: two hours

Balance: 8
    Overall: 9.0 of 10

Very nice review!!!, I got a little worried when you mentioned tight draw as Ive had one or two now where the draw was bothersome. Sounds like it was ok,, a slow burning mellow smoke for sure and yep two hours is bout how long it takes me as well. Glad I was apart of your huge milestone and another thanks to Glen for puttin it all together. Oh yea I would like to mention the Philanthropy side of Modesta, which you touched on. What a wonderful lady who brought better working conditions and education to many torcedors, who play such a huge part in this wonderful craft..
    Thanks again Kuzi