Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Why do you have two turntables? Do you use them to copy records?
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Clearly, he's a mixmaster.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Dang kuzi, bringing back memories of the 90's and all the strange alternative tunes. I haven't heard Beck for probably 10 years, hadn't even thought if his music until you sprung that one.
  • Options
    Really? You've been missing out on some good Beck albums.
  • Options
    Now that I find hard to believe...though I was never a fan of his music, so I'm biased.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of both "Midnight Vultures" and "Mutations." Oh, and "Sea Change." His latest one is pretty good, too.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    His latest one is pretty good, too.
    its in my car right now!!

i do have two turntables... too bad only one works and neither one is set up to DJ anything. they both kinda suck...

as far as microphone... i was in a few bands in my day. you just collect these things over time when you are involved in music. I also have a small PA system. a 4 track, a few guitars including a bass, many amps.... its just what i did for a while.
  • Options
    3-31-09 been in humi since 12-19-08

Camacho SLR (Special Limited Reserve) Maduro
    Rothschild (4.5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf maduro
    Binder: Honduran Corojo
    Filler: Honduran Corojo

This is a fairly good looking, yet short, cigar. It is a deep rich brown in color. The smell is earthy but dry, and no squishy spots are felt. The lick on the cap is oily on the tongue and a bit spicy. The draw after the punch is firm but not bad. The unlit taste is classic maduro—a bit of coco and earth.

The light is quick and the aroma hits me first. It is earthy and on the sweet side. The first puffs are similar in nature with a good roundness as well. After the cigar settles from the light a real depth of flavor is noticed. Coco, sweet earth, and maybe hops as well. The roundness is classic Honduran to me (Earthy, nutty maybe) the finish is light but long with the taste of singed chocolate.

The first ash was at just under an inch. The flavor has evolved a woody note and is more nutty than before. A generic spice is there but fairly light as well. The finish is the same as previously mentioned. The burn is flawless to this point. The body is full.

At the half way point the flavor has not progressed any more. There may be a bit more spice. There are a few small burn issues but a quick touch up light fixes that.

The last third is a but warmer and a bit spicier, but otherwise much of the same, but that’s fine by me.

Burn time: 1h 10min
    Burn: 8
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 10
    Appearance: 8
    Feel: 9

Overall: 8.9
    4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Great review as always Kuz! I'll have to pick up a few of those pretty soon. I had a Camacho about a week or so ago and it was a great smoke! It wasn't the SLR and I'm still not 100% sure which one it was. I posted about it a while back but never figured it out. It was good regardless!
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I'm gonna have to pick up a couple more SLRs, the one I had was like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Dude Love:
    I'm gonna have to pick up a couple more SLRs, the one I had was like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
    I know a girl that could do that!!! haha
  • Options
    4-13-09 been in MY humi since 11-13- 06

*Ashton VSG Belicoso no1 (5.2 x 52)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sungrown
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican

The cigar has spent two and a half years in a humidor without cellophane. The foot has a few chips on it. As I pull the band off I find that there must have been too much glue used to put it on. The wrapper peeled up a bit and a good chunk came off. (Maybe the size of a dime)

The lick on the cap has a good spice to it with a bit of leather. When clipped with my double guillotine cutter, the wrapper on the part that was clipped off separates from the binder and falls off. Things are not looking good at this point.

The draw is very good. There is a slight earth taste to it.

The first lit draws bring on a sweet woody taste with maybe a hint of licorice and a bit of wood on the finish. As the cigar begins to really open up, a cinnamon-like spice develops on the initial taste. The wood mentioned on the finish before stays but it is very short and fairly light. Building up to the first ash, the cigar settles into a sweet nutty wood flavor with mild pepper on the back of the palate. The finish is still wood, and still a bit too short. I would place tis more to a medium cigar than the listed full. The first ash fell at just over an inch.

At the mid point the flavors are good and much of the same. They have a very classic feel to them. Though they are good flavors I do not feel that this cigar is very impressive. It seems to lack a complexity that a cigar that is held in such high regards usually has. That does not mean the cigar is bad… just not living up to the hype.

As I get to the point where band was and the crack developed, the wrapper begins to peel up a tiny bit. Surprisingly though, it does not effect the burn very much.

Nearing the end of the cigar I am finally able to pin down what is lacking for me: A notable finish. The initial flavor is great but the aftertaste is a bit too short and a bit to mild.

…maybe too much time in the humidor.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 10
    Aftertaste: 7
    Construction: 7
    Appearance: 9
    Feel: 8

Overall: 8.6

3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

Recommended to:
    NOBODY…
    And here is why:

*After I smoked this cigar and I started this right up I noticed that the band it had and the band on ccom were different. It didn’t say “Ashton VSG” or “Ashton Cabinet” it said “Ashton Cabinet VSG” What does this mean? It was An Ashton VSG round from 1999 .
    This would explain how the body was medium on what I thought was a cigar that was listed as full. They were rolled in 1997 and distributed in 1999. Only 50,000 were made in this shape. From there on out they were box pressed. They are collector’s items. … And I smoked one. I feel special. I also feel that they are only good as collector’s items. This cigar has probably passed its peak. It was rolled 11 years ago and the crop the wrapper came out of was probably 15 years ago. They are interesting to talk about and to have but fairly uninteresting to smoke (IMHO) if I am not mistaken, this cigar was a gift to me for my wedding. I will have to review a “new” VSG sometime soon just to compare.

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Welcome to the club. I bought two of these and have smoked one. I haven't had mine as long as you have had yours. I probably won't smoke the second one for a long, long time. I actually liked the Partagas 150 much better. Try one if you can get your hands on them. For being a cigar that was rolled in 1994 with a wrapper from 1977 it still has a ton of taste. I have only had the regular VSG in the robusto size but I thuroughly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about these but at the price they are at decided to pass. I'm very happy with my wizards but also a little confused on why these weren't all that great. Great review kuzi none the less.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    ... but also a little confused on why these weren't all that great.
    kuzi16:
    This cigar has probably passed its peak. It was rolled 11 years ago and the crop the wrapper came out of was probably 15 years ago.
  • Options
    4-29-09 been in humi since 11-19-07

5 Vegas Miami Toro (6x48)
    Wrapper: Cuban seed Nicaraguan Corojo
    Filler Cuban seed Nicaraguan Liegero

The cigar has a bit of red in the medium brown wrapper. There is a small amount of tooth to it but it feels smoother than it looks. The smell unlit is a bit of sweet earth and has a precut taste that is similar but with a hint of spice. The draw has a good resistance; it’s pretty much perfect and has a chocolate tone to it.

The first few draws are sweet and woody with very little aftertaste to it. It does have a bit of the classic corojo taste to it. Once the aftertaste starts to settle in the pulpy, sawdust, Nicaraguan taste shows itself.

This flavor profile continues through the first ash at just over an inch. (and almost 30 minutes in)

By the mid point a few minor burn issues occur. Minor touch up lights.

2/3 of the way through the cigar takes a turn to the woody side. The aftertaste remains the same. Unfortunately, this is the part that I would love to see change.

Near where the band would be (had I left it on) a harsh and bitter taste develops. The cigar decided when I was done. Not me.

Burn time 1h 25min

Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Aftertaste: 7
    Construction: 9
    Feel: 7

Overall: 8.4

3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

this review took up the least amount of space in my catalog than any other cigar. it wasnt a "bad" cigar, just very uncomplex and and unexciting.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    it wasnt a "bad" cigar, just very uncomplex and and unexciting.
    That was about my thought on this cigar. I've tried it numerous times in different sizes, and it just never seemed to "pop". Like you said, not a bad cigar, just not all that great.
  • Options
    im not sure how it got such high marks when it was rated. then again, if i liked the nicaraguan taste better i might like this cigar a lot more. i mean i found the initial taste to be great. but the aftertaste was not that good at all. and the ending to the cigar was a bit strange too. within two puffs it went from good to damnineedtoputthisout. I was smoking this cigar with TheseFilthyHands. he has one to but it was a torp. his ended the same way.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have to say, I've tried one of these before and while I do enjoy the Nicaraguan taste, I did not love this cigar.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    As usual - Great Review - even though this was a 'light' review!

Never had a 5 Vegas Miami, but I pick up todays Daily deal.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    im not sure how it got such high marks when it was rated. then again, if i liked the nicaraguan taste better i might like this cigar a lot more. i mean i found the initial taste to be great. but the aftertaste was not that good at all. and the ending to the cigar was a bit strange too. within two puffs it went from good to damnineedtoputthisout. I was smoking this cigar with TheseFilthyHands. he has one to but it was a torp. his ended the same way.
    I usually like the Nicaraguan taste, and this didn't do it for me...I too experienced some weird aftertaste after an initially promising start. Oh well, even 5 Vegas can't score a home run with all of them.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    I have to say, I've tried one of these before and while I do enjoy the Nicaraguan taste, I did not love this cigar.
    that's not what she said you said... =p

I do believe this is the only one from the line I haven't had, and I doubt I'll be purchasing any either. Thanks for the review kuzster.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    what was it about this that you dindt like?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    bbc020:
    what was it about this that you didnt like?
    I think it was a lack of compliment flavors. I remember it having a spice to it, but the lack of a balancing sweetness or woodiness wasn't there for me.
  • Options
    AVO Domaine # 60 (5x43)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian sun grown Connecticut seed.
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Dominican Republic.

This cigar is a medium light brown in hue. It feels smooth and silky in the hand. The simple dark brown band compliments the wrapper well.

The smell is earthy, classic tobacco, and a bit of barnyard. The lick on the cap is smooth and oily with a taste that is very classic tobacco and cream.

Cut with my punch. The draw test yields a slightly loose draw but it doesn’t seem that it will be problematic. The pre-light taste is, again, creamy and with a touch of leather.

Lit with my Xikar executive lighter. The aroma before the first puff has a woody note to it.

The first puffs are a creamy sweet with an earthy wood finish. As the cigar settles from the light the wood tapers off a bit. The ease of draw in conjunction with the small ring gauge makes this cigar easy to turn bitter.

The nuances in this cigar are very subtle. Only a half an inch in, this cigar is best described as contemplative. It makes you think about what you are tasting.

Once a good smoking pace is developed (to offset the easy draw and small ring) the taste of each puff from start to finish is as follows:
    Draw: sweet, cinnamon, cream
    Holding/swishing the smoke: cinnamon comes on stronger, cream.
    Release the smoke: earth, then lingering leather.

Very complex in nature, yet very subtle at the same time. These flavors will not jump out at you. TheseFilthyHands and I always joke about how all cigar reviews should say “tastes like bits of burning tobacco.” Well, this one does… but with the above mentioned subtleties. I like it.

The first ash is about 1 ¾in into it. The burn is damn near perfect.

Nearing the midpoint a nutty taste develops in the “hold the smoke” range. I’m finding that the leather lingers a bit longer than I would like to and at times has a very mild bitter taste to it.

The last third of it retains much of the same flavors. The smoke is a tiny bit warmer than before but it still retains its flavor profile.

The last few puffs really bring out the cinnamon flavor. At this point I can feel the full bodied nature of this cigar.

Burn to the burn.
    Burn time: 1h 25min

Draw: 9
    Taste: 10
    Feel: 9

Overall: 9.3

5 of 6 smoke rings -- an exceptionally good cigar

Recommended to:
    Those with a more refined Palate.
    Those who don’t mind the earthy/leather of Davidoff.
    Those who can set a good smoking pace to bring out the nuances of the blend

• Options
    Great Review Kuz, these are excellent sticks IMO and you summed up the experience very well.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that about sums up the Avo Domaine..Always an exceptional experience.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Havn't had one yet :( ...wasn't that one "Bino liked so much?
  • Options
    5-22-09 been in humi since 7-17-08

Cohiba Red Dot corona (5.1x42)
    Wrapper: West African Cameroon
    Binder: Dominican –grown Piloto Cubano
    Filler: Dominican-grown Piloto Cubano

The cellophane has a slight bit of yellow to it. The wrapper is a medium brown with a few veins in it. The lick on the cap is very barnyard with a tiny hint of sourness to it. the sour is probably a bit overstated.

When punched, the cap cracked a little. The draw is a bit on the hard side but not enough to put it down.

The cigar opens with a distinctly Cameroon flavor of sweet leather with a slightly “sharp” taste to it.

As the cigar begins to develop, a slight white pepper taste comes out. The finish is short, mild and with a bit of nut to it. the body is medium-full but the flavor is medium at best.

The fist ash was at an inch and a half.

Half way through, and the flavor is unchanged. The cigar burns well, draws decently, tastes ok and is generally constructed well. The problem is that nothing jumps out as amazing. There is little to no “wow” factor.

The rest of the cigar is the same decent but unimpressive note.

Draw: 8
    Feel: 8

Overall: 8.8
    4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar (only because of the construction)

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a typical General Cigar product.