Home General Discussion

Long Ashes Grow Log 2012

Long Ashes Grow Log 2012

Hello everyone! Full harvest season is right around the corner so I wanted to update everyone on my progress of tobacco leaves and create a grow log. I have three different tobacco varieties and all are being grown for cigar smoking use. They are Dixie Shade (A very dark brown leaf that is good for wrapper), Havana 263 (A lighter brown leaf that is good for binder, and Pennsylvania Red (A redish brown leaf that is good for filler). I bought the seeds from the newhopeseedcompany.com site. I originally planted around 200 seeds, and we currently have around 75 plants in total. This is due to pruning from seed trays and the occasional death due to some weather storms. They are spread out in three different gardens from three different locations, and each one is growing a slightly unique plant. 12 in one gargen, 18 in another, and 48 in the third in total.

I started planting the seeds in doors in the middle of April and had them all transplanted into bigger pots sitting outside by the second week of May. All plants went into the ground by the first to second week of June. They are all doing very good, some are smaller than others around 2 feet tall, while others are a massive 6+ feet tall. I'm happy with the overall progress and my friends have been helping me out every step of the way.

My plan was to grow indoors, move outside, air color cure, move into a refridgerator/crockpot kiln that I am building currently for 4-6 weeks, then roll up and smoke using the custom 4.5x56 cigar press that I bought (short fat cigars).

Without further ado, here are pictures as well as dates when they were taken. Feel free to leave comments, give advice, etc. Thanks!

April 16th 2012

April 19th 2012

May 1st 2012

May 21st 2012

May 23rd 2012

May 29th 2012

June 5th 2012

June 7th 2012

June 14th 2012

June 22nd 2012

June 28th 2012

July 10th 2012

July 15th 2012

July 18th 2012

July 22nd 2012

July 24th 2012

July 28th 2012

July 29th 2012

Rolling Time (not yet):

Cigar Press

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nice. its almost like you know what you are doing.

did you harvest in primings? did you keep track of where each leaf came from on the plant? how are you organizing this project?
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! I have a couple plants going too, just in pots.I plan to just stalk cut em and let them air cure. I wish I had some kinda place to ferment em. I'm just gonna see what happens. But I would love to do what you're doing one day soon!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    This is awesome! Keep us updated!
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Very, Very cool. Look forward to seeing future pictures
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking plants, grow,roll, smoke
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Very cool!
  • long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    Thanks!

Going to be a busy farming day when I get off work. Going to be picking the Seco/Volado leaves tonight in ALL gardens and hanging them up, as well as taking some of the "mud" leaves I've already picked and sticking them into the kiln as they are brown and ready to ferment. The kiln is steady at 120-130 degrees F and 70-80% humidity. Pictures will follow.

Here is one of the kiln/fridge (this will allow me to "cook" them for 4-6 weeks which is the same as aging them for an entire year:

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Awesome, can't wait to see the results. Thanks for sharing.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    Awesome, can't wait to see the results. Thanks for sharing.
    +1 this is Awesome!
    So, kiln fridge is a old fridge with a crockpot for heat/humidity? That's awesome. I may try "cooking" mine in a cooler in the back porch. Just let the sun warm it... can't wait to see your finished leaves.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    This is kinda cool but man I know I don't have the patience for this kind of thing.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! Looks like you got a good thing going there, I look forward to hearing what the cigars taste like.
  • Bklyn78Bklyn78 Posts: 65
    This is a very cool project. keep the Updates coming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Wow, they grew big time in July. Congrats on your progress so far, looks like it was a lot of hard work and patience. Can't wait to see this come full circle. Do you have custom bands made up already for your cigars?
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, about how many cigars do you expect to get?
    No custom bands yet but we have some in mind.

We are estimating around 500 cigars. The press we are using is a shorty like cigar (4.5x56)

Here are some more pics. These are us harvesting the seco/volado leaves, and preparing the "mud" leaves for fermentation in the kiln.

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
    Gotem hung up now. Here is a pic:

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool brother can't wait to see some reviews in crap cigars?? Seriously though I hope you wind up with some great sticks be sure and post pics of the fruits of your labor.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Simply impressive
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! I can smell them from here!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• So I smoked the "first" cigar from my homemade tobacco this morning. I quote on first because we had rolled a couple before that were too tight and we couldn't light. This cigar has a medium/dark/light filler mix (short filler unfortunately for now because these are very small mud leaves), with a Connecticut shade binder, and a dark maduro wrapper.

First impressions? Even on these mud leaves I was burning my fingers until the end. It had a very smoky (not straight smoke but like a steak that's smoked), sweet, and peppery (straight black pepper) taste. It also had feint pipe tobacco tastes to it, like a cavendish. It was smooth, and the draw on the cigar I rolled was perfect. The kicker here is that it also had a decent bit of nicotine to it. Which means these cigars may pack a big punch on flavor and strength once finished because these are just the mud leaves from the bottom of the plant (flavor and strength travels up).

We still have about two months before true rolling begins but I am super excited! Here is a picture of me smoking the little cigarillo I rolled up. (Backwoods style)

long_ashes:
    So I smoked the "first" cigar from my homemade tobacco this morning. I quote on first because we had rolled a couple before that were too tight and we couldn't light. This cigar has a medium/dark/light filler mix (short filler unfortunately for now because these are very small mud leaves), with a Connecticut shade binder, and a dark maduro wrapper.

First impressions? Even on these mud leaves I was burning my fingers until the end. It had a very smoky (not straight smoke but like a steak that's smoked), sweet, and peppery (straight black pepper) taste. It also had feint pipe tobacco tastes to it, like a cavendish. It was smooth, and the draw on the cigar I rolled was perfect. The kicker here is that it also had a decent bit of nicotine to it. Which means these cigars may pack a big punch on flavor and strength once finished because these are just the mud leaves from the bottom of the plant (flavor and strength travels up).

We still have about two months before true rolling begins but I am super excited! Here is a picture of me smoking the little cigarillo I rolled up. (Backwoods style)

Awesome, dude. Glad to hear they are turning out well!
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    One of the coolest threads I've ever seen, that's awesome!! Can't wait to see and hear how the final product comes out!
  • Thanks man! I will definitely keep everyone updated. I have the leaves separated out into seco/viso/ligero... the seco leaves are brown and down (down in the kiln that is). It looks like 3-4 weeks is the magic time period. Next week will hopefully be viso, then the following will be ligero, and another 3-4 on top of that will be rolling time!
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Very cool man..... keep it up.

Funny but kinda reminds me of moonshiners.... especially with the car trunk open and the stash inside!
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I am in awe, and expect to see a full blown review sir!!
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    this is pretty cool!