Home Non Cigar Related
Options

My PC is a dinosaur

JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
I'm a firm believer in squeezing every last bit of practical use out of any tool or implement that I buy. However, since I keep getting messages from my own browser that tells me that Google Chrome needs a newer operating system than what I have, it looks like I'll be forced by the oppressive hand of planned obsolescence in technology to go buy a new computer. I'm really laughing at myself for hanging on to this desktop so long, but I'm just a cheapscate who will put up with almost anything instead of spending money.

I have a question for some of you - Apple or PC?

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you are looking to be frugal, then a PC will be much cheaper. Also, if you already use a PC, then your existing software (MS Office, games, etc) can be installed on the new machine. What are you using the computer for? Macs are great if you do lots of multimedia type stuff.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I'm a minimalist. No gaming at all. Just web searching, You Tube, e-mail, some commerce, etc., however, when I get this new desktop or laptop, I'll also be getting a new bluray with wi-fi for movie streaming, etc.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    I'm a minimalist. No gaming at all. Just web searching, You Tube, e-mail, some commerce, etc., however, when I get this new desktop or laptop, I'll also be getting a new bluray with wi-fi for movie streaming, etc.
    Ever consider installing Ubuntu on your current PC? My laptop is about 6 yrs old, was just sluggin along with windows Xp. Saved all my important data to an external drive then completely reformatted the internal drive, wiped off Xp and installed Ubuntu. Been using it for about 1.5 yrs, mostly for web surfing and watching movies - it works great for me.

Check it out: http://www.ubuntu.com/

If not, go with windows, definitely cheaper & perfect for what you're using it for.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    JDH:
    Ever consider installing Ubuntu on your current PC? My laptop is about 6 yrs old, was just sluggin along with windows Xp. Saved all my important data to an external drive then completely reformatted the internal drive, wiped off Xp and installed Ubuntu. Been using it for about 1.5 yrs, mostly for web surfing and watching movies - it works great for me.

If not, go with windows, definitely cheaper & perfect for what you're using it for.
    The wife wants to take this PC, which is pre-Windows XP, and use it for spreadsheets and word processing and data storage, and it probably won't even be web connected. She already has a 2 year old laptop, so I'll either be getting a new desktop or laptop. I haven't figured out why apple products are so much more expensive. Can somebody clue me?
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    JDH:
    jgibv:
    JDH:

The wife wants to take this PC, which is pre-Windows XP, and use it for spreadsheets and word processing and data storage, and it probably won't even be web connected. She already has a 2 year old laptop, so I'll either be getting a new desktop or laptop. I haven't figured out why apple products are so much more expensive. Can somebody clue me?
    In a word, they are "cooler".
  • Options
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    jgibv:
    JDH:

Maybe so, but are they "better"? Why do people pay so much more for an Apple product?
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    jgibv:
    JDH:

Maybe so, but are they "better"? Why do people pay so much more for an Apple product?
    You pay for longevity and software support really. They do last longer and you dont need to go out and spend $1000s of dollars. Google search Mac Mini. You can pick one up for about $599.99 and a monitor for about $99-$199 depending on size. You will replace a $500.00 PC way sooner then an $800 Apple. Also..... Almost no viruses... Yes Apples do get Viruses but less likely. I worked for CompUSA as a Manager and currently work for Best Buy. I am a PC tech and I have been doing it for about 9 years (Certified) and started building my own in 95. I would say Linux is not for you unless you are "techie". I have ran Linux systems (Ubuntu, Mint, Puppy, MEPIS, and Xubuntu) for about 7-8 years now and they still pi$$ me off sometime. I am a huge fan of Linux if youre surfing but thats about it... unless you realy want to dig into it. PM me with any questions.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to stretch the life of your machinery, go Linux. The OS is free. it runs very efficiently, it requires far less resources, it never crashes, it's virus proof, updates are frequent, free, and easy. and if you are any kind of a geek, the stuff you can do from the command line absolutely will floor you. As an example, I just now resolved a problem for a B&B we stayed with in Idaho by running a simple whois query from the shell. M$ Windows gives you games and ubiquity. Apple gives you fashionable eclat. Linux gives you useful. Heck, even Macs use a Linux derivative these days... they gave up on their own long ago.

I write you this using a Google Chrome browser from a Debian Linux machine. Ubuntu is the Debian derivative most frequently installed by non-geekly users.

And, yes, you can read and make Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    This is something to think about. Had not even considered Linux, but since I'm not really a geek, and haven't used it before.....

Was considering an HP Omni 27, HP Touch-smart 520-1030, Sony VAIO, or a comparable Apple product...

Now I have something else to chew on.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to lose just download a n image burn a cd and install on your old tired machine.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)