Home General Discussion
Options

Coolidor Project

I decided to get my first couple boxes of smokes and I am sick of the cigars which I am letting rest for an extend period of time taking up room in my desktop humidor so I decided to build a coolidor. I spent an hour so researching and going through coolidor threads. I opted to go with 48 qt cooler which I was able to get from amazon for fairly cheap. I will be using this thread to track my build with both short term and long term goals.

Short term goals
Build a cost effective stable environment for box and single cigar storage storage
Provide stability for longer term storage ( doesn't get opened as much, still keeping my desktop)
Provide better organization by storing similar cigars together (by wrapper?)

Long term goals

Computerized module which will track temp and humidity in multiple areas
Network enabled for online tracking of statistics
Time triggered fans for occasional air flow

Project costs
Igloo Cooler 48qt $18
Kitty Litter 7lbs $27
10 cigar boxes $32
Digital Hygrometer $20

Total Project Costs $97

I will keep the cost of this project up to date during the build. I hope someone finds this thread useful when they go to build their coolidor! Once I get the items in there will be pictures and more details as I put things together.

Comments

• Options
    dsaylesdsayles Posts: 123
    Eventually I would like to make one also...keep us posted!
  • Options
    WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    I have found that by bringing my girlfriend with me to the local B&M we get free cigar boxes when she asks the people that work there. About 3-4 boxes at a time. I recommend bringing a female, works great and saves money. Also my dad in florida is usually on the lookout for some boxes here and there...sends me them when he gets a good amount.
  • Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    WaterDemon:
    I have found that by bringing my girlfriend with me to the local B&M we get free cigar boxes when she asks the people that work there. About 3-4 boxes at a time. I recommend bringing a female, works great and saves money. Also my dad in florida is usually on the lookout for some boxes here and there...sends me them when he gets a good amount.
    Unfortunately I do not have a real B&M around. I have tobacco stores which sell a lot of cigarettes and liquor but also have some small cabinet off to the side. All of them have said no :(
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    WaterDemon:
    Unfortunately I do not have a real B&M around. I have tobacco stores which sell a lot of cigarettes and liquor but also have some small cabinet off to the side. All of them have said no :(
    Im sure some of the BOTL have extras lying around they dont want. i'm not a big box buyer but i think i could spare a couple. oh well.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i too have been thinking of starting a cooler, i will be paying attentio! and good luck
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    reggie713:
    i too have been thinking of starting a cooler, i will be paying attentio! and good luck
    Me three! I have an unseasoned 50ct that I am getting ready now and that just won't be big enough for another year here on the forum!!!!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Im sure some of the BOTL have extras lying around they dont want. i'm not a big box buyer but i think i could spare a couple. oh well.
    +1
    I bet if you post something in the T/P/B section you'll get a response ... (wish I could help out but I don't have any extras)

Orrrr....another thought, if you can't get any cigar boxes, you could use some type of plastic containers/shelving and just add some pieces of spanish cedar to the bottom of each container/shelf. If you go this route, check out Woodcraft for spanish cedar, they'll cut pieces to size for you too.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm really curious how you will network enable this. I'm thinking something wireless and perhaps the raspberry could be used.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck and welcome to the real game of Tetris!!!! May I suggest you get some painters tape so you can label your boxes. I use it since it has no smell and doesn't leave the stickem on the box when removed...it will also be good to use to seal a box if your in for the long haul
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    james40:
    I'm really curious how you will network enable this. I'm thinking something wireless and perhaps the raspberry could be used.
    This is my first guess. Way back in the day before small embedded platforms were novelties I used to take Sokreis boards and make saltwater aquarium controllers out of them. Similar concept with a lot less complexity. Back then boards could cost $200 :) Pi's can be had for cheap and I am excited to get to work with one :)
  • Options
    Added price for the Hygrometer.
  • Options
    WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    I'm thinking, and this is just from looking at photos or other coolidors, you might want another Hygrometer in the box. I don't know if you are that OCD or not, but I've had some humidors with a +-5 difference with humidity from the top to the bottom.
  • Options
    WaterDemon:
    I'm thinking, and this is just from looking at photos or other coolidors, you might want another Hygrometer in the box. I don't know if you are that OCD or not, but I've had some humidors with a +-5 difference with humidity from the top to the bottom.

Good call.
  • Options
    This is badass. Jules approves.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Coolers are great for storage, mine work better than my wooden desktops. For storing loose cigars, though, you'll discover that keeping them in old boxes is very space consumptive. When I got rid of my boxes and went with custom shelves I doubled my storage capacity. I built my own shelves but I'm sure you could figure something out that will work for you. Boxes are just a way of adding wood which keeps the rh more stable, that is all they really do inside a cooler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    biodarwin:
    james40:
    This is my first guess. Way back in the day before small embedded platforms were novelties I used to take Sokreis boards and make saltwater aquarium controllers out of them. Similar concept with a lot less complexity. Back then boards could cost $200 :) Pi's can be had for cheap and I am excited to get to work with one :)
    Sounds like you got the know-how to make this badass. I was thinking of doing the same thing for trending the temps/humidity and this was my first guess as well. i would love to see your progress on this because I'm probably going to do the same thing (networking). That is, once I get some time to put some research into it. Damn, I'm excited on a nerdy tech level here. (already thought of graphing programs, etc.)
  • Options
    DCarp2005DCarp2005 Posts: 140
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of KL did you get? I know it's to be nonscented, but wasn't sure what kind works best.
    P.S. I'm looking into building a coolidor as well, interested in seeing how yours turns out
  • Options
    DCarp2005:
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of KL did you get? I know it's to be nonscented, but wasn't sure what kind works best.
    P.S. I'm looking into building a coolidor as well, interested in seeing how yours turns out
    I bought a red igloo cooler. I believe I read somewhere the red does not smell as bad. While I didn't have blue to "sniff" against, the red only had a faint scent of plastic. Will be posting pictures shortly.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    DCarp2005:
    I bought a red igloo cooler. I believe I read somewhere the red does not smell as bad. While I didn't have blue to "sniff" against, the red only had a faint scent of plastic. Will be posting pictures shortly.
    Kitty litter was the question...personally I'm mostly all for boveda!! The KL I've read you have to train to hold at the rh you want...personally I feel this is to much effort just to maintain a certain rh for who knows how long. Yes it's cheaper but if you have $1,000's of cigars I'd rather not take many chances with them
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Kitty litter was the question...personally I'm mostly all for boveda!! The KL I've read you have to train to hold at the rh you want...personally I feel this is to much effort just to maintain a certain rh for who knows how long. Yes it's cheaper but if you have $1,000's of cigars I'd rather not take many chances with them
    I shouldn't post before having coffee :) I bought: Ultra Pet Trackless Litter Pearls. I don't see too many people using or talking about kitty litter here so I thought I would take one for the team and post my experiences. If it doesn't work out I will switch to beads, which is what I use in my desktop.
  • Options
    Read about these Coolidors on the other threads and they sound like something I'll be investing in soon. My 100-ct will more than likely not be enough...lol. I'll be following this thread closely.
  • Options
    The cooler

Kitty Litter

The cooler didn't smell too bad so I used a homemade all natural general purpose cleaner to clean it up. Some people say to use bleach or baking soda to get the smell out. I didn't suffer from this as bad and I try to avoid things like bleach unless needed. I have saltwater aquariums so I try to stay away from harsh chemicals of all kinds. After it dried out I placed newspaper in the cooler for 24 hours to absorb any remaining plastic smell.

As of right now I have it opened up airing out. The only smell is newspaper. My cigar boxes will be here tomorrow. Everything is coming together nicely, so far...
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    I built my own shelves but I'm sure you could figure something out that will work for you. Boxes are just a way of adding wood which keeps the rh more stable, that is all they really do inside a cooler.
    What did you build them out of? I was thinking about this, but I thought cigar boxes would also help regulate the humidity as well.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    bigharpoon:
    I built my own shelves but I'm sure you could figure something out that will work for you. Boxes are just a way of adding wood which keeps the rh more stable, that is all they really do inside a cooler.
    What did you build them out of? I was thinking about this, but I thought cigar boxes would also help regulate the humidity as well.
    They will help, a ton! I built my shelves out of spanish cedar I was able to get from a (somewhat) local hardwoods supplier. Same wood humidors are made out. I did it because I wanted to store and organize my singles to maximum capacity. Fortunately I'm a finish carpenter with a full workshop :D
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    nice, i had a cooler just like that and had it sitting pretty stable with half a pound of beads in there with 130ish cigars.
  • Options
    The KL and cigar boxes have been in the cooler all day. Without adding any water it has been at 65%. I have added about 3lbs of KL.

• Options
    I woke up this morning and checked the cooler. It was at 63% RH. I spritzed a bit of water on a little of KL on one of the bags, not a lot, just a little. Will take a look again before the Colts DESTROY the Titians.
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    I woke up this morning and checked the cooler. It was at 63% RH. I spritzed a bit of water on a little of KL on one of the bags, not a lot, just a little. Will take a look again before the Colts DESTROY the Titians.

Been holding at 70Degrees 65% RH all day.
  • Options
    biodarwin:

And the Colts came out victorious! Go Colts!!!
  • Options
    mr.wendell1979:
    And the Colts came out victorious! Go Colts!!!
    This is what I am talking about! The Colts have turned into a beastily 2nd half team. Now if they can get the 1/2 half figured out we will be good to go!!! :)