Home General Discussion

Cutters

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
I somehow misplaced my trusty Xikar X8 while on vacation so I've been using the backup which doesn't work as well. Now that I need a new one I can't decide which model. I want to keep it under $30 so it looks to be between another X8, Xi2, or possibly the MTX scissors if they go down that low on sale. Having only used guillotine stye cutters in the past I'm tempted to try another style. What do you guys prefer?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the Xi1.
    I have a couple Xi2 cutters as back ups, but they seem to break the spring a lot.
    Never had a problem with the Xi1 and to me, the Xi1 seems better built.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I have a Xi2, no issues after two months.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Palio all day.......
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Palio all day.......
    +6
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I bought the MTX about a month ago and Primed them for $30. I saw Jozer using them at my first SoCal herf and knew I had to have them. I don't cut through the cigar with them, but circle the tip and flip off the cap. Love them.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Palio all day.......
    I don't want to sound like a homer here but +1 to this. Used one for the first time tonight and the first thing I was struck by is the fact that both blades are used immediately on cutting. All the cutters I've tried (which is not too many) have had one blade move first. It seems to me that I'm pinching the cap on one side before cutting, not good. The Palio will be my next cutter.
  • I've been using a "Perfect Cutter" from Cuban Crafters for just over a year now. It's got a backing plate on the back side of the blades, so you can't take too much off the cap. There's also a hole in the plate for pigtails or the point of a torpedo. Like Xikar, the thing has a lifetime warranty, but I haven't needed it. I smoke 4 or 5 sticks a week and it is still cutting like new. For 15 bucks, it's a steal. I also have a Xikar retractable punch I keep on my keychain for emergencies. I rarely use it, but it works well enough. Nice and sharp. Cheers, Gentlemen!
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I love my xikar xi1, but probably my second favorite is the $2 cutter from the b&m that has a razor blade.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    TheMisplacedScotsman:
    I've been using a "Perfect Cutter" from Cuban Crafters for just over a year now. It's got a backing plate on the back side of the blades, so you can't take too much off the cap. There's also a hole in the plate for pigtails or the point of a torpedo. Like Xikar, the thing has a lifetime warranty, but I haven't needed it. I smoke 4 or 5 sticks a week and it is still cutting like new. For 15 bucks, it's a steal. I also have a Xikar retractable punch I keep on my keychain for emergencies. I rarely use it, but it works well enough. Nice and sharp. Cheers, Gentlemen!
    i liked my Cuban crafters as well, same cutter. It broke within 6 months, still trying to get it replaced... I'm done with lifetime warranty's, I want a product that lasts a lifetime. I actually liked the CC better then xikar as well, shame about their service.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I have a Xi2, no issues after two months.
    same for me but 3 years is the number.
  • Cuban crafters- nice if you're cutting in the dark and can't see how much you're taking. Bought a palio, don't care for it. Got a black Friday deal on a xikar xi2, absolutely love it. Would rather have the cocobola xi3, but the xi2 does the same job.
  • Copy that, Catfish.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    dont buy the colibri cutter. it does more crushing then cutting.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I have an Xi3 carbon fiber cutter that I love and can't say a bad thing about it love it. I also have the MTX scissors that are very handy and work well if you don't like a larger ring cigar than lets say 50-52. They have additional tools that are very handy while your smoking or to refill your lighter. I brought my scissors with me on my cruise and used them everday with my MOW PA's and never had one issue. They have a more precise cut than a the xi. I don't suggest using the bottle opener though bent the heck out of mine. I will say the shop I took them too exchanged them without even asking me why.