Home General Discussion
Options

Rip’s Journey to Cuba

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your kind comments. Oppurtunity like this doesn't come that often so I utilized in in full scale. I will share more stories. It was a fascinating and an eye opening experience for me. I appreciate your words.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Very eloquent article, thank you for your insight, very enjoyable read!:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    MVW67:
    Very eloquent article, thank you for your insight, very enjoyable read!:-)
    +1
  • Options
    DCarp2005DCarp2005 Posts: 140
    With all of the cigars that rip brought back all he needs is an island and he could call himself "new cuba"
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve is a great enthusiast as well as other brothers here including yourself. I meant no disrespect to anyone my friend.
  • Options
    Sorry Tom...I did not mean it that way.
    Poker Slob:
    Steve is a great enthusiast as well as other brothers here including yourself. I meant no disrespect to anyone my friend.
  • Options

When I visited Cuba as part of my cigar journey, one of my goals was to learn about Cubans thought on non-Cuban cigars. Majority (not all) non-Cuban cigar makers always try to bash about Cuban cigars. In some extend, try to undermine the quality of Cuban cigar. They also promote the impression that CCs are the remembrance of things past and the sex appeal of the forbidden fruit. After smoking the top line Cuban and Non-Cuban cigars, I came to the conclusion that overall the Cuban cigars (specially the true Habanos) are indeed one of the best cigars in the world. At the same time, I also discovered that few Non-Cuban cigars are also very unique and represent their own characters in a different way. As a result of my personal experience, I am always curious and ask the same question to all the cigar makers I meet. I am not going to mention any name here rather than give you a clear idea about who the person is. One way to let people talk and gain their trust is to keep their identity and opinion anonymous. I will follow this simple rule to my post.

Before my trip, I packed almost 100 non-Cuban cigars. Here is the list:
    -
    Padron 1926 80th, 40th, no. 9, Family Reserve 45th, 1964
    -
    Opus X Lancero, ****, Forbidden X, Don Carlos Anniversario 2006
    -
    Davidoff Crown series
    -
    Viaje Oro reserve #5
    -
    LFD
    -
    Partagas Decada Reserva
    -
    La Palina 1896, Little Bill -
    Camacho PE
    -
    Ashton ESG
    -
    Graycliff original blended by Avelino Lara
    -
    Some other top line Non Cuban cigars

The Cubans who smoked different cigars were one of the Director of Casa del Habano, One of the most prominent Cuban cigar retailer, Carlos Robina(son of Alejandro Robina who lives and works in Havana. I will talk about him in another thread. I got his approval to disclose his opinion)), One of the manager of a top Cuban cigar brand factory, two tobacco farmers from Pinar del Rio, one European Ambassador who gave me the Cuban Davidoff from 1969, opinion from some European smokers who have been smoking 25-35 years. I met many European cigars vendors and smokers in the cigar festival. It was a great experience.

Here are my findings:

Experienced cigar smokers from Europe: European smokers did not even want to smoke a non-Cuban when I offered them. However, two smokers were curious and I gave them five years aged Padron 80th and seven years aged Opus X. Both of them said- good draw, good burn but the flavor profile is not as rich and complex as top Cuban cigars. They also thought the aftertaste is overpowering. However, they also said if the strength was more balanced then they might have liked it little more. They both said the cigars lack the Cuban like rich aromatic flavors, aroma and long finish. They also exchanged both cigars during smoking and both liked Padron more than Opus X. They found Opus X little light in flavors and aroma. When I told them the MSRP, they both said, they will not buy them with that price.

One of the director of casa del habano: I was convinced that he will bash about non-Cuban. In reality, it was opposite. I spend few days – couple of relaxing afternoon and evenings with him. He was very curious and smoked, pardon 80th, 45th, La Palina 1896, Camacho PE, Ashton ESG, Davidoff Crown series and Forbidden X with me. His impression was very constructive. His take on Non-Cubans are- they are very different in characters, well-constructed but miss richness of Cuban tobacco’s flavors and aroma. He also did not like the finish. His best take was Padron 40th and La palina 1896. He did not like Opus X but fairly enjoyed it until 2/3. He thinks the tendencies of non-Cuban cigars are pick up strength, gets bitter with metallic edge. The sweetness is not delicate and clean. He also believes Non-Cubans use too much Ligeros(they say Corona in Cuba) to make the flavor rich but it also gives the cigar the extra strength. It is not relaxing as per his opinion. His take on Camacho PE is, he couldn’t find any Cuban characters in it but he enjoyed it for it medium body. When I gave him the Ashton (without band), he immediately recognize it as Dominican. He enjoyed the Davidoff crown series and said won’t mind to smoke it again.

Two farmers from Pinar del Rio and the factory manager: They smoked whatever I offered them but stopped smoking either in 1/3 or 2/3. They were little bored and straight did not like the flavors and aroma. I gave them Padron 80th, Opus X, Viaje Oro reserve #5. Their impression was, none of them had the rich flavor and aroma rather than more strength and harsh finish.

European Ambassador: We smoked twice together. First when he gave me the Cuban Davidoff. Second time we smoked in his house. I gave him four options- Padron 1926 80th, La Palina 1896, Partagas Decadas and Davidoff Crown series Barrel. He picked up the Paratagas first but stopped smoking within 15 minutes. He did not like the Cameroon wrapper- it was not rich or aromatic enough for him. He picked up Davidoff and fairly enjoyed it. He has been smoking over 35 years and always Cuban. His take was non-Cuban cigars are full in strength but not balanced with rich and complex flavors and aroma. He kept the Padron and La palina and promised me to inform me later. He joked it is good that Americans cannot import Cubans. Otherwise, CC would have been more expensive. He also invited the owner of casa del Habano from his country who was visiting the cigar festival. He smoked Davidoff Crown series because he also sells them in his native country. His second cigar was Don Carlos Anniversario 2006 release and his take was 50:50 but he admitted that it was a good smoke and he will smoke it again. The same person also told me that he has $15 million cigars stock in his aging bank (yes that’s the word he used) and he is aging them patiently for a strategic business purpose. He will release them in the U.S. market after the embargo gets lifted. I will write a separated thread about him. I have learned a lot from him and feel proud to build a constructive friendship with him.

Carlos Robina & the prominent cigar retailer: I felt that he was little biased towards the Cuban cigars. He asked me to pick one cigar for him because he only smokes Habanos not even any other Cuban puros. Well, he grew up with best smokes from his father- the cigar legend Alajandro Robina. I gave him La Palina because I do agree Padron, Viaje they all comes with extra strength. He smoked the entire la Palina. He said he enjoyed it ok but it was nothing like any habanos. He also said that he does not believe Habanos are easy to copy because Cuba is a God gifted land with its unique characters. He just wishes they (Cuba) had more land to produce more Habanos to share the joy with the rest of the world. He is little intellectual and truly loves cigar and the people who enjoy fine smokes. He even made a special cup of Cuban Cordadito(coffee brewed with sugar then topped with steamed milk). I smoked in his Casa del habano shop in Av. 5th couple times and always asked for the same coffee. He gifted me a bag of Cubita brand coffee. He is truly a gentleman.

The prominent cigar retailer was interested to smoke the Graycliff original blended by Avelino Lara. He said the cigar construction represents the Cuban style, the smoke is good but definitely lacks the rich flavor and aroma. He smoked the LFD Diez but did not like it. His take was, it has harsh aftertastes and too much metallic (chemical) aftertastes at the back.

My analysis:

I do agree non-Cuban cigars leaves long lasting aftertaste and many of them have additional strength. It also does not have the Cuban like rich and aromatic fruity aroma. However, I disagree that non-Cubans are not as complex as Cubans. Though there are few smokes like Padron, Davidoff Crown series, La Palina, Viaje Oro Reserva # 5, Don carlos Anniversario but they are very complex smokes and have their own unique characters. I think at the end, it is personal choice.

However, it is true after smoking top Cubans, the non-Cuban selection becomes very limited.

The surprising part was, none of them said non-Cuban are bad or trashy cigar rather than lacks the richness of CCs. I hope some non-Cuban cigar makers can be a little more sincere and constructive about their opinion towards the Cuban cigars.

My favorite Cuban coffee Cordadito
    Photobucket
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip, as always, I very much enjoy your writings.
    It is interesting that the subject of the metallic aftertaste came up.
    I find that there are several different cigars that have that aftertaste.
    I sometimes think that the "extra strength" is geared more toward the US market, as it seems that there is a mentality that Americans like everything extra strength. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I truly cant wait to read about the people you met. I am looking forward to your writings as well. Rip... you never let us down!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Is that a piece of sugercain with your coffee?
  • Options
    Hi Brett, yes it is a sugarcane swizzle stick. Cuban Cordadito is a strong coffee. Traditionally the drinker is suppose to chew a little bit of it while drinking the coffee. Usually, Cordadito use strong Cuban Cubita coffee. Some people also use little honey to add more sweetness and creamy texture to the coffee. Cuban coffee has a unique and rich flavors and aroma. It has a nice thick body and they use freshly roasted bean.

In Cuba, they use fresh sugarcane juice to make the traditional Mohito as well. I visited the Havana Club rum factory in Habana. This is not their main factory but still could see the production method. Thats a story for anothe day. Fresh sugarcane juice or the swizzle sticks add an exotic and clean flavorful twist to any drinks.
    firetruckguy:
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Hi Brett, yes it is a sugarcane swizzle stick. Cuban Cordadito is a strong coffee. Traditionally the drinker is suppose to chew a little bit of it while drinking the coffee. Usually, Cordadito use strong Cuban Cubita coffee. Some people also use little honey to add more sweetness and creamy texture to the coffee. Cuban coffee has a unique and rich flavors and aroma. It has a nice thick body and they use freshly roasted bean.

In Cuba, they use fresh sugarcane juice to make the traditional Mohito as well. I visited the Havana Club rum factory in Habana. This is not their main factory but still could see the production method. Thats a story for anothe day. Fresh sugarcane juice or the swizzle sticks add an exotic and clean flavorful twist to any drinks.
    firetruckguy:
    Thats just awesome, Thanks brother!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    I truly cant wait to read about the people you met. I am looking forward to your writings as well. Rip... you never let us down!
    I agree 100%!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, Rip. I haven't had all the different cigars you brought on your trip but I've had maybe half of them and I think you chose great selections to bring with you for them to smoke. Their responses don't really surprise me, though. Cubans are so different on so many levels, ligero content as a perfect example, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

With each Cuban I smoke I fall in love with them a little more and fall out of love with non-Cubans a little bit each time. I think you are right, though it is a personal choice. The construction on non-Cubans is almost always fantastic it's just the flavor profile of Cubans suits my palate better. There are still many non-Cubans I truly enjoy and others I want to try but, in general, the list of non-Cubans I'm interested in is narrowing.

I think any cigar smoker who appreciates the craftsmanship of what a cigar offers will always be curious to continue trying new blends and new cigars while at the same time narrow down the core line of their favorites along their own personal palate.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    bigharpoon:
    Great thread, Rip. I haven't had all the different cigars you brought on your trip but I've had maybe half of them and I think you chose great selections to bring with you for them to smoke. Their responses don't really surprise me, though. Cubans are so different on so many levels, ligero content as a perfect example, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

With each Cuban I smoke I fall in love with them a little more and fall out of love with non-Cubans a little bit each time. I think you are right, though it is a personal choice. The construction on non-Cubans is almost always fantastic it's just the flavor profile of Cubans suits my palate better. There are still many non-Cubans I truly enjoy and others I want to try but, in general, the list of non-Cubans I'm interested in is narrowing.

I think any cigar smoker who appreciates the craftsmanship of what a cigar offers will always be curious to continue trying new blends and new cigars while at the same time narrow down the core line of their favorites along their own personal palate.
    Great insight....that's what I was thinking while reading through Rip's latest post.

I can't help but wonder, if the embargo was lifted, and open competition between the Cubans and the Nicarugan producers was allowed, just how much the blending from both camps would change. Jeez, I want that embargo to go away.

Once again, Rip, you've provided a terrific insight into a culture and way of life that are unattaniable to me. Many, many thanks. You have no idea how much I am enjoying your posts. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    This is good reading Rip. Interesting. Seems they prefer strong coffee but milder cigars. The new Serie E you got are supposed to be more intense though right ?
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    That was a very good read. I don't have any experience with cubans, but it's interesting that most of them had the same general comments when comparing cubans against the others you shared. Thanks for posting all of this!
  • Options
    Hey Rip. Just a thought/question. I know the Cuban people are very proud of their tobacco heritage. Do you think there could be a bit of bias towards CC over NC. Now... I am not saying that one is better then the other. I would rather smoke $4.00 CC over most gimmicky $10-$18 NC.... Just seeing what you thought.
  • Options
    Andrew, you are correct, Partagas series E no. 2 is stronger and spicier than any other Partagas cigar. I smoked six of them and close to say the best regular Paratagas cigar so far. PSD4 is an excellent smoke but PSE2 is even more complex. Though it has more power but it is very smooth, buttery and has a honey like sweetness to it. Honey has a thick, buttery body. It is completely different than any other Partagas. During the Paratagas 20th Anniversary festival they also released Partagas C no. 3. I believe Partagas series D no. 4 is going to loose its popularity to these new releases.

Though all Habanos are under Casa del Habano company's business umbrella but Partagas is trying to compete with Cohiba with more new cigar lines. I talked to Partagas best roller China(pronounced as Chena). She is a 9th grade Torcedor(cigar roller), the highest achievable grade within the Cuban cigar industry. She along with Master roller Ramses Herrera got the assignment to revive the glorious past of Partagas. The factory has been received additional funding and tobaccos. I believe this is just the beginning of revival of Partagas. I will post more about it in the future.
    amz1301:
    This is good reading Rip. Interesting. Seems they prefer strong coffee but milder cigars. The new Serie E you got are supposed to be more intense though right ?
  • Options
    Hi Peter, every cigar producing countries are proud and bias towards their cigars. But the question about quality remains the same- who produces the finest cigar.

however my personal opinion is- though Cuba produces very fine cigars but they are more humble about their quality and do not bash NCs. On the other hand, I find majority NC cigar makers bash Cubans in regular basis.

Who make the best cigars? I prefer individual smokers should answer to that question based on their preference, like and smoking experience. My opinion is each country has its own unique characters but I prefer 75% Cuban and 25% NC to my smoking rotation.
    Vision:
    Hey Rip. Just a thought/question. I know the Cuban people are very proud of their tobacco heritage. Do you think there could be a bit of bias towards CC over NC. Now... I am not saying that one is better then the other. I would rather smoke $4.00 CC over most gimmicky $10-$18 NC.... Just seeing what you thought.
  • Options
    I sincerely thank you all you for your kind Words. I will continue posting about my discovery from Cuba. If you have any specific question then please feel free to ask. I have so much in my head now and sometime I get confused what to write about next.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Everything looks so beautiful there very nice Rip truly enjoyed the read thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us. The one thing I truly love about this hobby is how everyone taste cigars differently. I for one love straight power but with the help of some of you guys have been trying to refine my palate. It's great to here about some of the greats in the cuban cigar industry that you were able to meet and how they were so open minded to other countries making cigars. The only thing I would like to add and I can be very wrong but maybe some of the families that exiled have a such a poor view of cuban cigars because of what happened to them and their families not that it's an excuse.
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    what a great read rip. thank you very much for sharing your insight and thoughts from the people you met.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Thanks Rip. It is really interesting to read that I am not the only one who finds many NC cigars harsh, metallic, and too powerful. In the past I had thought that cubans were mostly hyped and cigars from the DR could be just as good but it seems as though I need to revisit that theory.
  • Options
    Rip.... I <3 you bro. Damn I love your insite!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection RIP, I haven't seen one that nice since Diamondog

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Thanks Chris.
    Krieg:
    Nice collection RIP, I haven't seen one that nice since Diamondog
  • Options

Havana has many world class cigar lounges and stores. There are almost fifteen licensed CASA DEL HABANO (CDH) stores along with sixteen other regular cigar stores around Havana. In Pinar del Rio there is no licensed CDH store but I found three cigar stores. One of them is very well stocked. There is no “Cohiba Atmosphere” standard lounge in Cuba.

Street vendors: Practically in every tourist spots, people offer Habanos but they are fakes. Sometime they offer foreigners to take to Paratagas, H. Upman and other factories for a visit but in reality they take the tourists to a different building just next to the original factories. Sometime these factories are not small and look real. However, the price is 50% of the original. I smoked some of them; some are good but of course not as good as true Habanos. These street sellers are very aggressive. They come with fake bands and sometime with original band.

Black market: There is a black market for Cuban puros in Havana and I am not going to mention the name. One individual is very well known to the foreigners. He indeed, sells band less original, even Behike. He offers them in bundle. Original Cohiba Behike, a bundle of ten costs US$150 to $250 or more. I did not buy any because I never break the local rules. However, it can offer great value to some smokers.

I would like to explain a little more about this market. As I mentioned to my earlier post that Cuban average salary is $25-35. It is very difficult for many citizens to full fill their daily needs. As a result, people who work for different factories they exchange their goods with something else to maximize their needs. The people who work in the Cuban cigar factories, sometime they also receive cigars for personal consumption. They sell them to this individual and also pass additional cigars to the market. Please don’t ask me how. Many tourists especially the Canadian and the Europeans find this place as a great deal. I have to say though many of them are little off colored and different in sizes. I would say 40% are perfect and 60% are factory second. However, I do not believe that the factory handout Behike to the labor for personal consumption. One legitimate source informed me that 50% Behike cigars are real and 50% are fakes at this market. The problem is to detect the original vs. fake one because they all come without bands. The fake Behike cigars are also very well made with good tobaccos.

I also discovered a black market in Pinar del Rio. When I was in San Juan tobacco growing area (part of Pinar del Rio) couple of tobacco farmers and rollers informed me that not all Habanos are rolled in Havana. They also role some locally and send them to Havana for cutting and packaging. They showed me different sizes of Cohiba Siglo VI and offered US$5 apiece. They are excellent smoke but again fake. I couldn’t verify this information and still believe that true Habanos are rolled in Havana. Here is a picture:
    Photobucket
    Cosmopolitan cigar lounges in Havana: I am just highlighting some of the top CDH stores here. I am not adding any information about Hotel Saratoga cigar lounge because I want to write a separate thread on this. Sorry guys some pictures needed to be censored because I have no permission to disclose some faces in the picture. I tried my best to pick up the best shots.

As I mentioned to you earlier that there are fifteen licensed CDH stores plus lounges in Havana but not all of them are in elegant condition. I visited most of them and my favorite store and lounges are:

CDH at 5th/ 16th Avenue: This place runs by Don Alejanro Robina’s son Carlos Robina.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    CDH at Melia Cohiba Hotel:
    Photobucket Photobucket
    CDH at Hotel National:
    Photobucket Photobucket
    CDH at Colonial Club Havana and country club: This is a member club for diplomats, top government official and corporate members. This is a very exclusive place with great food and drinks. In fact, I found the best liquor stock at this place. The store runs by Enrique Mons. He is gentleman and showed me their warehouse where I spent two hours and found some aged cigars.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    CDH at Partagas factory: This place used to run by the prominent cigar personality Abel Exposito Diaz but he was arrested recently. I do not want to talk about it though some facts are open to the press. The real reason is very fishy. Anyway, Abel has been considered as the most experienced Cuban cigar retailer in Cuba.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    CDH at Hotel Havana Libre: This is a very historic hotel. When Fidel won the revolution war and entered to Havana, he declared this hotel as his official headquarters. It is a classic place with hundreds of historical pictures. Still need to upload some picture. I will update it some other time.

I will add more information to this thread later.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Rip, thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely amazing pictures and great information.
    Thank you so much for sharing with us. It is greatly appreciated.

Oh. And will you adopt me? ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.