Home General Discussion
Options

Low humidity

My humidor won't go above 65.  I have the two humidifiers that came with it plus another one and a bunch of bags that they send with each order.  I know the dial works since I remove it and it will drop to around 45.  What could be wrong?

Comments

• Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    there could be a number of things wrong with it. Did you calibrate your hygrometer? what type of hygrometer are you using? the cedar shelves may be dry, did you season the humidor? the sticks may have been a bit on the drier side also...
  • Options
    T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    I know I am not the expert on this by any means, but we have had issues and the brothers on here have always thrown out suggestions that have helped us. Have you done the dollar bill test to make sure that your seal is good all the way around?

Also, in our experience, save yourself the trouble and throw away those black disc looking humidifiers (and the bars if they have similar stuff inside of them) because they are prone to cause mold. We had it happen to one of our humidors and it was a pain to get back to a safe environment for our sticks. It also caused mold to grow on a Monte Cristo that we had received from Marineatbn03.

If it humi passes the dollar inspection, it might be the hygrometer if it is not digital. Our analog is pretty accurate, but it is definitely worth picking up a digital either online or at your local Home Depot/Lowes/B&M or CCOM has one for $25... (you make the call on that one). If none of that works or helps, I would look into getting some beads since they seem to be working great for us now that we reseasoned our humi (after the mold) and stabilized the humidity with the beads. Rock solid now at about 67... Hope it helps, and I am sure someone else will post the links to similar threads on here. Use the search bar and you will get more info than you ever dreamed of. These guys are amazingly helpful and knowledgeable.

Oh, and Welcome to the FORUM! Let the madness begin!
  • Options
    T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    Obviously I type slow/am long winded because Trident beat me to it :-)
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    My Xikar digital hygrometer doesn't read above 65%, and I've got two bags full of crystals in there. For what it's worth, when talking to a bunch of B&Mers about what was the best stuff to use for humidification, nearly all of them said that 60%-65% was perfectly fine for aging purposes and that much higher humidity might actually be more harmful over the long run.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I keep my humis at 65% and if, on the rare occasion, one or the other happens to go as low as, say, 62%, I love it! Sticks burn quite well at 62%.....

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    jlmarta:
    FWIW, I keep my humis at 65% and if, on the rare occasion, one or the other happens to go as low as, say, 62%, I love it! Sticks burn quite well at 62%.....

Same here. Keep my humis in the mid 60s.

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    jlmarta:

Yup..that's where my mine sits, mid-low 60's.. Not a problem
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    stephen_hannibal:
    jlmarta:

Yup..that's where my mine sits, mid-low 60's.. Not a problem
    yup! mine too, 65 to 67%
  • Options
    Chips2481Chips2481 Posts: 52
    Thanks for the replies!
    Trident:
    there could be a number of things wrong with it. Did you calibrate your hygrometer? what type of hygrometer are you using? the cedar shelves may be dry, did you season the humidor? the sticks may have been a bit on the drier side also...

Ok I re seasoned(remoisened the wood?) it last night and it is sitting at 70 now.  I just got it last month, I hope I don't have this problem every month.  Actually when I got it the front door was open on one end, I had to re drill the hinges to make a tight fit.  It does shut nicely though, I made sure of it.
    The hydrometer is a analog type, it is removable but installed into the unit.  I removed it and it drops down to about 50 so I assume it is working.

T.J. Armstrong:
    I know I am not the expert on this by any means, but we have had issues and the brothers on here have always thrown out suggestions that have helped us. Have you done the dollar bill test to make sure that your seal is good all the way around?

Also, in our experience, save yourself the trouble and throw away those black disc looking humidifiers (and the bars if they have similar stuff inside of them) because they are prone to cause mold. We had it happen to one of our humidors and it was a pain to get back to a safe environment for our sticks. It also caused mold to grow on a Monte Cristo that we had received from Marineatbn03.

If it humi passes the dollar inspection, it might be the hygrometer if it is not digital. Our analog is pretty accurate, but it is definitely worth picking up a digital either online or at your local Home Depot/Lowes/B&M or CCOM has one for $25... (you make the call on that one). If none of that works or helps, I would look into getting some beads since they seem to be working great for us now that we reseasoned our humi (after the mold) and stabilized the humidity with the beads. Rock solid now at about 67... Hope it helps, and I am sure someone else will post the links to similar threads on here. Use the search bar and you will get more info than you ever dreamed of. These guys are amazingly helpful and knowledgeable.

Oh, and Welcome to the FORUM! Let the madness begin!

Not sure exactly how the dollar test works.  What I figure is if it locks the dollar between the seals.  The front door(the one I fixed myself) holds the bill well in all area's.  The top, which I left stock, holds it better on some area's then others but does hold it somewhat in all area's.  I might try a few things to make a better seal. 

This will actually be a temp humidor until spring when I buy/make a large one to fit entire boxes.  With that I plan on using an electronic one.  Instead of the beads I may just buy an electronic one now and use it in this one until I upgrade. 

jlmarta:

Yes I was enjoying them and didn't think much of it as I knew they would be gone before any problem however I found a few lately to have a vent/leak(not sure of the slang word for it) and thought it was from them drying out.  I am smoking a diesel unlimited right now, perfect draw, huge clouds!
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    It looks like you have a lot of space and a little amount of water. Seasoning the humi again will help as you just did but until your wood reaches equilibrium you may need to leave a small dish of water in there to get the RH up. That humi (assuming its new, cant recall) has been sitting in a warehouse for who knows how long at probably 30% so the wood is at 30%. it will take time to get all that wood up to 65% or whatever you want it at.

Its quick to get the air up to 65% but takes time for the wood to soak that in (which is what you want).
  • Options
    Well I got my electric humidifier and it was running the fan on max and staying under 65.  Found out it was the wood seal things that "clamp" into the door to keep it sealed.  They were not glued and had pulled out from the pressure, I reglued and added some tape now it stays at 70.  Yay.  I wish I could leave negative feedback for this POS but it is too late, I checked the guys account and everyone is complaining about them.  Why is almost every ebay sale shady!  Scammers..  It is a nice humidor now that I fixed it though. 
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    What kind and who did you purchase it from. save me the future heartache.
  • Options
    ddubridge:

I actually really like mine now that I fixed it.  However I am assuming this guy bought a big lot of humidors that were probably defects and is selling them without knowing.
    Can't find a 400ct humidor for under $100 as nice as it though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271064536835&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Chips2481:
    ddubridge:

I actually really like mine now that I fixed it.  However I am assuming this guy bought a big lot of humidors that were probably defects and is selling them without knowing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271064536835&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
    when I out grow my 300ct i'll pm you for the fix. looks pretty nice.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I have been having am issue, sitting around 60 for the last two days. I have beads and I kept a shot glass full of water next to it. The problem was that the beads were not sucking the water up quick enough. I misted 1/4th of the beads, and within he hour it was at 65.
  • Options
    Un_SubUn_Sub Posts: 210
    I have the same 400 count humi, I did not moisten the wood, instead I put a large bowl of water in it (at the bottom) and let it sit for 3 or 4 days w/o opening it. After that time, I set up my hartfelt beads and it works great. I only have to add water once every month or two. I saturate about 85% of my beads and it stays at 65% solid. From what I see in your humi and knowing mine, you need more humidifiers.
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    Chips2481:
    ddubridge:

when I out grow my 300ct i'll pm you for the fix. looks pretty nice.

Great, not sure how long they will be around for though.  All I did was redo the hinges so there was no gap and reglue the curved wood that holds the moisture in.  You might want to get in on his auctions when they are listed.