Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    SleevePlz:
    chemforever:
    I think I will have to smoke one of these too, I just wonder if there is a way to tell the difference between the first and second release, as I got one in a trade a while back. I will have to smoke it and read this review at the same time, thanks for the review.
    As Kuzi mentioned, the original 2011 release did not have the pinhole in the foot. It is easy to see on the 2012 so you should have no problem identifying between the two. Thanks for the review Kuzi. I actually managed to keep a 2012 zombie for myself this time (I gifted all my 2011's away before getting around to smoking one). I might have to burn it down this weekend.
    yea I just read the review and see the pin hole reference, seems I just smoked a new one!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    11-20-12 ROTT
    Genesis The Project Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Cuban seed Connecticut grown maduro
    Binder: Jamastran Honduran
    Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran
    Blender: Ram
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Great review. This has been on my short list for a bit. Interesting and unique are positives in my book.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    He seemed like a really nice guy too bad the cigar he handed me had a super tight draw. I will have to get some after this review.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review as always Matt.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    For the price and what you smoke, this is one of the best smokes for $4
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Great review. The whole time I smoked mine, I kept telling myself that it was just a little bit different from anything I'd had before - but in a very good way. I'd draw on it and then hold it out in front of my face at arms length and say to myself "I haven't had anything quite like this". The thing that impressed me right off the bat was the wrapper - dark, almost like a hershey bar - shiney and oily - really a georgeous cigar to look at.

I don't know how kuzi can detect all these subtle flavors - I wish I could - but he's pretty much right on the money. I just want to know how he got almost 2 hours out of this robusto!!
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    pross:
    Great review. This has been on my short list for a bit. Interesting and unique are positives in my book.
    PM to you.
  • Options
    JDH:
    I just want to know how he got almost 2 hours out of this robusto!!
    i smoke slow naturally. one way to slow down quite a bit is to set the cigar down between puffs.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    i smoke slow naturally. one way to slow down quite a bit is to set the cigar down between puffs.
    Yeah, I actually force myself to put it down between puffs or I will instinctively just hit it again in a short amount of time.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Great review. Add another to my list of things to try. So many wants, so little rime.
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    Yeah, I actually force myself to put it down between puffs or I will instinctively just hit it again in a short amount of time.
    yup...
    out of sight out of mind kinda thing.
    ehehat:
    Great review. Add another to my list of things to try. So many wants, so little rime.
    couldnt have said it better myself.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    SleevePlz:
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    yup...
    out of sight out of mind kinda thing.
    ehehat:
    Actually I'm betting you could have spelled "time" correctly. :)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    kuzi16:
    [quote user="SleevePlz"
    ehehat:
    Actually I'm betting you could have spelled "time" correctly. :)
    That's how the whole BORK thing started. Fat fingers hitting the wrong keys.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    pross:
    Agrred, I had one, but I've learned a bit about gars since then and am looking to retry. Thanks Kuzi!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Didn't really enjoy the first one I had. Although the flavors were enjoyable, I thought it was too too. If you know what I mean. I have another in the box. Perhaps it will blend with age.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Great review as always.

I haven't had one, but the wife grabbed on the other night when we went out. Said I should get more.
  • Options
    1-8-13 been in humi since 8-13-12
    Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Trojes Honduras Corojo 2006
    Binder: Jalapa Nicaraguan
    Filler, Trojes Honduras, Nicaraguan
    Blender: Arsenio Ramos, Alan Rubin

A big thank you to DrPepperdude for getting this cigar to my humidor.

The Alec Bradley Prensado is a cigar that needs little introduction. Since the Churchill vitola of this blend was the Cigar Aficionado cigar of the year 2011 just about everyone who has ever dabbled in cigars has heard of it. The cigar was released in 2009 and the two years between the release and the award were full of acclaim that started at the IPCPR with this cigar being one of the most talked about releases of the year. With as much fanfare that this cigar has received, I am surprised to find myself about to light this blend for the first time.

This cigar continues with the successful concept that AB started with the Tempus in 2008. This concept, of course, is utilization of the Las Trojes, Honduras tobacco. This tobacco can be found in two places in this cigar: the wrapper and the filler. It is one of the defining characteristics of Alec Bradley's blending style and being that they Trademarked the name “Trojes” it seems that they have every intention of keeping the leaf all to themselves.

The Prensado has a dark chocolate wrapper and, apart from a few veins, is fairly uniform in appearance. The construction looks flawless and the wrapper feels smooth in the hand. The slight box press feels good in the hand . It is not “overly pressed” as its name might imply to some (Prensado is spanish for “press”). There is a very nice triple cap that is distinct and easy to see. A band of blue, gold, black, and brown seems opulent but since the color scheme works well and I will forgive it.

The cigar has very little bouquet unlit. A lick on the triple cap has a leathery taste and a very slight sour note initially but this turns to spice quickly. The oils are felt on the tongue and lips. After a cut with my Xi2 the draw has rich tobacco flavors and the slight spice continues.

The first few puffs have a decent amount of spice to them. It is the woody spice that I associate with Nicaraguan Tobacco. There is a leather earthy note that is pleasant but overall the flavors are fairly muted early on in the cigar. The spice seems to linger. I suspect that the spice blast I am getting is due to lighting to fast and hot. Some time to settle may give this cigar more complexity.

As the cigar settles in a slightly nutty note comes out to play. The spice does down to a simmer and is just enough to keep it interesting. Any hint of bitter disappears, not to say it is sweet but it is sweeter than before via lack of bitter. It is no longer offensive. This confirms to me that the light was just too hot and I scorched the tobacco. A few other issues that I suspect came from the light include an uneven burn. A quick corrective light fixes that. With ay luck that is the last of the issues I will see from my mistake. The leather earthy undertones are still there and bring the nutty and “sweeter” note together. Through the nose the leather and earth and light spice are balanced and work with each other well. The aftertaste is short and clean.

The middle third is full of the same flavors. There is a slight uptick of body but the cigar has not changed much otherwise. The saving grace is that it is all very pleasant and very well balanced. It is easy to smoke without being too mild or leaving you wanting more. The uneven burn continues and the classic trick of rotating the cigar does not help. The minor touch ups do not seem to be effecting the flavor negatively; it is just a minor annoyance for those who are neurotic about an even burn like myself.

The final third of the Prensado brings on a richer leather taste. This has been a slow progression. It is not “in your face” in any way shape or form. Just smooth and subtle. A slight chocolate note is seen from time to time. At this point I would put this cigar in the medium to full range.

The last few puffs bring on more of the leather and earth and it is slowly coming out of balance. This signals the end of the cigar for me.

Burn to the nub
    time: 1 hour 45 minutes

I don't think this cigar will get the number one spot in my catalog for the year, but I do understand why it was the 2011 cigar of the year from CA. The way they reach that decision is based off of blind ratings from a group of people. If this cigar is consistent from one to the next, its non-offensive nature will not turn people away. It offers little to be mad about. It is a nice relaxing cigar with good flavors. On the side of the Devil's Advocate, it has little “mind blowing” uniqueness. This is a good “top of the middle ground” cigar. A group of people would like it. A group average would even out the score and since there are no real negatives to bring it down that could place it firmly at the top. This is not a polarizing cigar in my experience. Nobody hates it and a few like it very much.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 10
    Balance: 10
    Feel: 9

Overall: 9.0 of 10

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice write up sir.have one sitting in my humi now.looking forward to lighting it up now.only been sitting for a few weeks .dont know if i can wait a year tho.lol.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    1-16-13 ROTT, no age.
    Room 101 One Shot One Kill Filero
    4.5 x 52/42 Figurado
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder: Honduran Corojo
    Filler: Honduran Corojo & Dominican Republic Piloto Ligero
    Blender: Matt Booth

The Room 101 One Shot One Kill (Named for the Photographer Edgar Hoill who is known for getting incredible photos with one click on short notice) is one of Room 101's most popular and highly regarded blends. It is very limited in production with a run of only 30,000 cigars over three shapes. One of the rumored reasons for this limited quantity is that only one person rolls the cigars and the entire run took over a year to roll.
    That is quite an impressive feat.

As interesting as the back-story is to this particular cigar and brand in general, the thing that most excites me about this cigar is the size/shape. It is very reminiscent of the smaller vitolas of the Fuente Hemingway series, somewhere between the short story and the best seller. What makes the vitola so interesting is the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio. Yes, the Ecuadorian Habano wrapper is a rare treat, and the Honduran Corojo is what Camacho calls the only “true” corojo, and the fillers are some of the finest tobaccos on the market, but the vitola can potentially take this cigar to the next level. The perfecto takes full advantage of the fact that the wrapper contributes a significant amount of flavor to the bend. As the the cigar gets wider, more of the filler is showcased in the flavor. As the cigar tapers the wrapper's flavor presence increases. Theoretically, this cigar has a complexity potential that parejo cigars inherently cannot have.

Simply put the OSOK Filero looks good. The cigar has a “true fermentation” look to it. By that I mean that there is some color variation almost like the leaf was muddled a bit. A leaf should look this way if it was fermented until it was dark and never just died to reach some aesthetic goal. The seems are difficult to see and lay flat save for where the cigar makes an extreme taper. Some of the veins are there but they don't have depth and they do not expressly stand out in any way. The silver and black band is simple and it works well. The wrapper feels smooth and oily in the hand and there is a firmness to the overall feel.

The unlit smell is a light barnyard and unremarkable. A lick on the pointed cap leaves a heavy oil feel to the lips and tongue with a slightly spicy note however I get a slight impression of sweet as well. These notes are very slight. It has less flavor at this point than most. A cut with my Xi2 and this cigar really starts to show it flavors. There is a sweeter earth flavor and a licorice undertone. Its quite nice. The draw is smooth and surprisingly easy considering the diameter of the foot.

After a light with a soft flame, the first few puffs have quite a bit of spice and heavy earth flavors. There is an underlying meaty sweetness. As the cigar quickly swells to the widest ring gauge. The spice tames down a bit and becomes soft and enjoyable. However, the burn is not even in any way. This is not a surprise, most figurados have a few burn issues due to the difficulty to roll. Minor touch ups are needed. The cigar smooths out and a shot light sweet nutty flavor comes out early in the puff with the earth flavors and the meaty quality soon to follow. Through the nose there is a bit of spice and a light musk. This cigar is very complex. Even early in this cigar, what I am beginning to recognize as the blending style of Mr. Booth is prevalent. (the other great example is in the Room 101 Connecticut.)

This small cigar reaches the mid point quickly. The sweeter elements seem to keep getting stronger. The light warming spice works very well with the sweet. It balances out the cigar very well. Through the nose it has not changed much at all. The finish is long an mostly made up of the earth and meaty sweet. The balance is quite impressive.

The last third of the cigar is the same but all of the flavors seem a bit more intense and they melt together well. The earth note is now through the nose as well. This cigar has a medium to full body but is not overwhelming. As the flavors intensify the licorice flavors that were detected in the cold draw start to come out. It is a steady improvement as the cigar tapers down. The last few puffs are warm and still very pleasant. As it heats it does not become harsh or bitter.

Burn to the burn
    time 1hour 45 minutes

It burns longer than it looks like it would.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 10
    Feel: 10

Overall: 9.2

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Good review kuzi. I still haven't smoked one of these. I should do that soon.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Great looking cigar, sounds like a winner!
  • Options
    Still looking for any of the OSOK that I keep reading about. Seems that none of the local B&Ms or CCOM has them.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    mr.wendell1979:
    Still looking for any of the OSOK that I keep reading about. Seems that none of the local B&Ms or CCOM has them.
    These are gone form the market. Tehy were a one time release, and now the guy whom blended it with Matt Booth at Room 101 started his own company, EH cigars. I've had the new blend, and it is alright, but I am not sure if it is as good. Either way, if you find any...let me know!
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    damn you kuzi. my white whale the osok and you write a awesome review as usuall. now it just makes it worse i can't find one. i mean i just want to smoke one before i die. haha is that to much to ask.
  • Options
    1-18-13. Fresh
    Zino Classic No.7 (4.6 x 34)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian grown Connecticut seed
    Binder: Honduran
    Filler: Honduran, Dominican
    Blender: Henke Kelner

Many cigar smokers follow a similar path in their journey deeper into the car world. Generally speaking, someone who wishes to dabble into cigar will get advice from a more seasoned smoker. The first bit of advice is to start out with a milder blend as to not end up sick on the first go. The new smokes who enjoys these first few mild cigars will buy many of them, filling their first humidor. As fuller bodied cigars are able to be handled, there is a step up to them. As there is a step up in power, there is generally a step up in flavor as well. More flavors are detected. The palate is beginning to be developed. At some point more humidors are purchased and they are filled with increasingly powerful cigars. All the while there is palate development. Months, or even years go by. It becomes easier and easier to recognize flavors, blending styles, signature flavors of a region. At some point, often when the fullest of the full cigars are being enjoyed by the now-not-so-new smoker. The palate is well developed. On a whim, this smoker finds something that is left over from when they liked the mild stuff, or they are sent a mild cigar that someone else enjoys, and they smoke it. But now it is different than before. With a more developed palate and the experience of learning how to retrohale and how to actively taste the cigar it is an entirely new experience. They can taste things in the mild cigar that they never tasted before. There is complexity now where there was once only “smoke.” The smoker looks through the humidors to find other old mild favorites to give a second look at them only to find that the humidors are full of the full bodied cigars and another humidor must be purchased.
    That one mild cigar alters the way that cigars are viewed from that point on. There is a new appreciation for all strengths of tobacco.

For me, that one cigar was a Zino Classic Robusto. I feel that now, years later, it is time to give a proper review of the blend that changed my life.

The Zino classic was re-blended by Henke Kelner and released in 2006. As it is with most Davidoff products, there is a ton of respect for tradition. In the case of this cigar it shows up in this cigar not only by carrying the Zino name but by using tobacco from Honduras. This was done on purpose. The original production site of Zino Cigars was in Honduras. This may seem a bit strange to the Davidoff fans out there being that the names "Davidoff" and "Kelner" seem to be synonymous with Dominican tobacco because of the company's heavy investment into the country. However, Kelner also uses Ecuadorian tobacco in the Davidoff Aniversario, Davidoff Classic, Gran Cru, Special Series, and a few LEs, and he uses Honduran tobacco in the Zino Platinum Z-Class. This is by no means out of his realm, nor should it seem strange.

The black tube with gold lettering is an elegant tube, as would be expected from Zino, being a Davidoff product. The cigar itself is a nice tan and there are a few wrinkles to it. It give the cigar a bit of a rustic look. The band is a simple gold and maroon band in a similar shape to Davidoff bands.

the cigar feels light in the hand and there is a slight fuzzy feeling to the wrapper. There are woody and sweet flavors that are boarder-line floral. The lick on the cap has those same flavors but with the tiniest hint of spice as well. After a clip with my double guillotine a slightly firm draw is noted and the flavors are licorice and floral in nature.

I light with a soft flame is quick due to the small ring gauge. The first puffs are woody in nature with soft pepper undertones. Through the nose there is a firmer wood note and a musky undertone, one of the elements that often show up in Kelner blends. The flavors smooth and the body is fairly light. The spice is light but it seems to linger quite a bit. This lingering spice does not seem to fit with the rest of the cigar.
    As the cigar settles in a slight nutty note creeps in. it is subtle and mixes well with the over all wood tones.

The cigar changes little through the length of the cigar. It settles in and stays there. Its a good thing it is a pleasant cigar and it is short. It could get boring if it was a larger cigar. The only change to note at the mid point is that the musk has settled down and overall it becomes a bit more “sharp” in nature.

Near the end of the cigar the flavor is about the same relatively unchanged. Its a good little smoke

burn to the burn
    time: 1 hour

burn: 10
    draw: 8
    taste: 9
    aftertaste: 8
    construction: 10
    balance: 9
    feel: 8

overall: 8.8

• Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    another nice write up kuzi. thanks.
  • Options
    1-31-13 fresh no age.
    Padilla Reserva Habano Torpedo (6
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Best Padilla so far, huh? That's interesting. I may have to try one of these.
  • Options
    2-13-13 been in humidor since 12-29-12
    CyB by Joya de Nicaragua Corona Real (5.5 x 46)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder: Dominican Piloto Cubana (La Canela Region)
    Filler: Nicaragua (Estali (viso) and Omatepe), Peru (Tarapoto region)
    Blender: Dr. Alejandro Mart