Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    oh crap.

i just now noticed that i didnt put the review of the Indian Tabac Anniversary Limited Reserve in here.

when i get back from work if i have time....

Thats really slack of you Kuzi...I'm flabbergasted ...;)
    yeah... im good with getting the cigars smoked and taking notes on them but the second time that i type it (for the forum) i am starting to lack motivation. iduno.... i just sit down to type it and i think to myself "i just wrote this already.... now i have to do it again? man...."
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    oh crap.

i just now noticed that i didnt put the review of the Indian Tabac Anniversary Limited Reserve in here.

yeah... im good with getting the cigars smoked and taking notes on them but the second time that i type it (for the forum) i am starting to lack motivation. iduno.... i just sit down to type it and i think to myself "i just wrote this already.... now i have to do it again? man...."

Thats your cross to bear Kuzi for being our resident expert on so many things man. Seriously I do enjoy your input and you are very astute on many things we discuss here therefore you are my and probably a lot of others on heres go to source for answers...appreciate ya man ...
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    oh crap.

Thats your cross to bear Kuzi for being our resident expert on so many things man. Seriously I do enjoy your input and you are very astute on many things we discuss here therefore you are my and probably a lot of others on heres go to source for answers...appreciate ya man ...
    I second that...I do appreciate your input...even if you don't care as much for Nicaraguan tobacco as I do.
  • Options
    nicaraguan tobacco is starting to grow on me like a fungus. THe oliva family does it best in my opinion.
    i still dont think it will ever pass up my love for honduran tobacco.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    oh crap.

Sounds like you're getting burned out a little on doing your reviews...hope that's not the case, but if it is, I totally understand.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    nicaraguan tobacco is starting to grow on me like a fungus. THe oliva family does it best in my opinion.
    So does that mean you're starting to like Rocky Patels...??

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    no
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    nicaraguan tobacco is starting to grow on me like a fungus.

They make some good creams and ointments for this kind of stuff now a days.

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

yeah but have you seen the price for LAMISIL!!?!? its one expensive drug.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

Just make a paste outta Honduran tobacco , distilled water , and salt and rub it on yourself...works like a charm ...you may have a tendancy to speak a foreign language for a few days but you'll be OK ...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    no
    Silly guy, he said he was liking Nica tobacco more, not that he lost his sense of taste.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    kuzi16:
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

Luckily they started making a generic about 1.5 years ago... haha
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    kuzi16:
    Nice to see that Nic is growing on you. Its my preffered. Honduras is slowly growing on me. I would love to see Oliva's Maduro wrapper on some honduran fillers. Not sure if its already out there but I bet it wold be awesome.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I thought the maduro was good, I liked it much better than the domain. I do agree, it stayed consistent without much change, but I don't really think it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    it wasnt BAD. i just feel that when you compare the AVO maduro to any other Davidoff product, it just lacks the complexity and subtle nuances that Davidoff is best known for. in general i prefer a cigar that is complex from start to finish but i am very ok with cigars that are not; for example in the past week or so i have smoked a 5 vegas series A, a free cuba churchill, RP vintage 90, monticristo media noche, and a sancho panza double maduro. only one of these is truly complex from start to finish. yet im still ok with the others.

given the reputation and price point of Davidoff products, i expected more from the AVO maduro.
  • Options
    7-8-09 been in humi since 7-17-08

Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5 x 55)
    Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Nicaragua, Peru, Dominican Republic

First off, thank you, Madurofan, for sending this cigar to try. Sorry it took so long to get to.

Before taking the cigar out of the cellophane I can tell that it has some tooth to it. the cigar is very firm and the cap is very flat. The cigar feels oily to the touch and has a light tobacco smell to it. when licked before the cut, the cap as a bit of spice that fades quickly.

Cut with a punch. The draw is very good but on the easy side and has a coco cream taste to it.

The first few puffs have a bit of a woody coffee taste to it with a tiny spice on the finish. As the cigar settles from the light, an earthy undertone develops, the coffee lightens, and the overall flavor picks up some depth. There is still some spice through the nose.

By the time the first ash falls at just over an inch a light nutty taste enters the mix. This is an interestingly blended cigar. For a maduro it is surprisingly not sweet. it is good but is definitely an atypical maduro.

At the midpoint the nut flavor has developed more and a white pepper shows up on the finish. Everything plays well together.

I keep water with me when I review a cigar, but this time I don’t seem to need it. I feel that this cigar is making my mouth water as if I were about to eat a well prepared meal.

The burn is not perfect but is mostly self correcting.

The final third brings out a warmer smoke and again the coffee comes out.

This is the type of complexity that I tend to like in a cigar. Every puff has a multitude of flavors but also they change seamlessly throughout the cigar.

Burn to the burn
    Time: 1 hour 35 min.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Appearance: 8
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 10
    Feel: 9

Overall: 9
    4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    7-8-09 been in humi since 7-17-08

Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5 x 55)
    Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Nicaragua, Peru, Dominican Republic

First off, thank you, Madurofan, for sending this cigar to try. Sorry it took so long to get to.

Before taking the cigar out of the cellophane I can tell that it has some tooth to it. the cigar is very firm and the cap is very flat. The cigar feels oily to the touch and has a light tobacco smell to it. when licked before the cut, the cap as a bit of spice that fades quickly.

Cut with a punch. The draw is very good but on the easy side and has a coco cream taste to it.

The first few puffs have a bit of a woody coffee taste to it with a tiny spice on the finish. As the cigar settles from the light, an earthy undertone develops, the coffee lightens, and the overall flavor picks up some depth. There is still some spice through the nose.

By the time the first ash falls at just over an inch a light nutty taste enters the mix. This is an interestingly blended cigar. For a maduro it is surprisingly not sweet. it is good but is definitely an atypical maduro.

At the midpoint the nut flavor has developed more and a white pepper shows up on the finish. Everything plays well together.

I keep water with me when I review a cigar, but this time I don’t seem to need it. I feel that this cigar is making my mouth water as if I were about to eat a well prepared meal.

The burn is not perfect but is mostly self correcting.

The final third brings out a warmer smoke and again the coffee comes out.

This is the type of complexity that I tend to like in a cigar. Every puff has a multitude of flavors but also they change seamlessly throughout the cigar.

Burn to the burn
    Time: 1 hour 35 min.

Burn: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Appearance: 8
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 10
    Feel: 9

Overall: 9
    4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

I've smoked a Media Noche Churchill with about 6 months resting on it and I seriously enjoyed it... Great flavor and the burn was as you described, not pretty buy not messy

I wish to smoke the other one in my humidor (going on about 11 months now!) but I'm afraid to smoke it for the cost of these guys do NOT make it an everyday smoke
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    ... but I'm afraid to smoke it for the cost of these guys do NOT make it an everyday smoke
    and for about the same price i could have an AVO Domaine.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    it wasnt BAD. i just feel that when you compare the AVO maduro to any other Davidoff product, it just lacks the complexity and subtle nuances that Davidoff is best known for. in general i prefer a cigar that is complex from start to finish but i am very ok with cigars that are not; for example in the past week or so i have smoked a 5 vegas series A, a free cuba churchill, RP vintage 90, monticristo media noche, and a sancho panza double maduro. only one of these is truly complex from start to finish. yet im still ok with the others.

given the reputation and price point of Davidoff products, i expected more from the AVO maduro.

What one is the complex cigar?

• Options
    Great review!

Whats the MSRP on this one?

• Options
    the aov domaine and the media noche are both in the neighborhood of $12 a stick.

the complex through out the stick one was the Media Noche
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    p.s. damn you Kuzi now I'm hunting the internet for a box of Media Noche.... I've only had the churchill with a few months on it and I LOVED it... what would you suspect the difference in taste would be to the Edmundo??? (Edmundo is the only box I can find and that's without spending $240!
  • Options
    i think that the churchill would be more complex of a cigar over the length of the cigar because of how a cigar is bunched. you will get a more distinct difference from start to middle to finish because there are longer chunks of leaves in there. the nutrient distribution is different throughout the length of the leaf.

at the same time i feel that the over all flavor profile wont be that far off. if you are going for most flavor and most impact from the wrapper leaf then i would suggest the no.3.
    the 44 ring may do wonders to the cigar. it may bring out more of the sweet that is usually in a maduro and was very played down in this cigar.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    i think that the churchill would be more complex of a cigar over the length of the cigar because of how a cigar is bunched. you will get a more distinct difference from start to middle to finish because there are longer chunks of leaves in there. the nutrient distribution is different throughout the length of the leaf.

at the same time i feel that the over all flavor profile wont be that far off. if you are going for most flavor and most impact from the wrapper leaf then i would suggest the no.3.
    the 44 ring may do wonders to the cigar. it may bring out more of the sweet that is usually in a maduro and was very played down in this cigar.
    I've gone thru quite a few of these but only in the Edmundo vitola, and they ROCK!
    I would be interested in trying a few of the No. 3's too, i'll bet that extra little sweetness from the wrapper to filler ratio would only add to the enjoyment of this fine cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    the aov domaine and the media noche are both in the neighborhood of $12 a stick.

the complex through out the stick one was the Media Noche

A little spendy on my budget, but if its good enough Id spend the $$.

I like Decades and theyre a bit pricey.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    The AVO Domaines in the #30's are listed at $10.90 here at C.COM. I ordered a 5 pack of these the other day and they were cheaper then that. Fourtotheflush you should give C.COM a call and see what they will do a "fiver" for, I think you may be pleased. The AVO's are NOT like the Media Noche's but they are one of my top 5 favorites.
    That's from the top five that don't change. Not those other five that change failry regularly :)
  • Options
    laker1963:
    The AVO's are NOT like the Media Noche's
    this is true. I hope i didnt give off that impression. i like the AVO way more.
  • Options

7-15-09 been in humidor since 10-12-07
    Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente King B (6x55)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sungrown (“Cloud grown”) Rosado
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican

The cellophane has the name of the cedar wrapped cigar printed in gold on it. The foot is wrapped in black ribbon meaning it is Sungrown. Once the wrapper and the cedar are removed you find one or two dominant veins. There is a very cedar smell to the cigar itself. I’m sure this is due to the two plus years in the humidor in the cedar.

The lick on the cap has a bit of white pepper and has a bit of an oily mouth feel.
    Cut with a double guillotine. The draw has a bit of resistance and brings a classic tobacco smell but a bit on the earthy side.

Once lit the cigar opens with a light sweetness and a round earthy taste overall. The aftertaste has a bit of wood to it.

The ash is a bit flakey, but the burn is fairly even. Thought the ash did fall that I felt was a bit early. (¾ of an inch). By this point the flavor has evened out top a woody earth and a bit of a generic nut flavor. The sweet has dropped off quite a bit. It is smooth and the wood continues on the finish.

There is an underlying flavor that I can’t seem to put my finger on. Maybe a hearty bread or grain of some sort.

Along one of the dominant veins consistently the cigar burns slower than the rest. Corrective lights are needed and I don’t feel that this is construction related.

The further into the cigar, the more cedar seems to creep out. It never dominates though. It always stays in balance.

The problem with this cigar is that it is missing the wow factor. The reputation of the company, the fantastic presentation, the price tag, and the great construction all build up to nothing amazing. It’s not that the cigar is bad. It’s actually quite good. It just does not live up to its own expectations.
    Burn: 7
    Aftertaste: 8
    Appearance: 10
    Balance: 9
    Construction: 10
    Feel: 8

Overall 8.7
    3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

• Options
    laker1963:
    The AVO Domaines in the #30's are listed at $10.90 here at C.COM. I ordered a 5 pack of these the other day and they were cheaper then that. Fourtotheflush you should give C.COM a call and see what they will do a "fiver" for, I think you may be pleased. The AVO's are NOT like the Media Noche's but they are one of my top 5 favorites.
    That's from the top five that don't change. Not those other five that change failry regularly :)

Seeing as though Im buying at about 10X what I am smoking right now, I think Ill have to wait until the fall to pick up any more sticks.

Ive got a desk top 40/50 thats packed, Ive got a desktop 20/25 thats packed and I have a antique side table humidor (copper lined I mentioned in other posts) that has a couple boxes and randoms hanging out in.
    As soon as I smoke down some I will re-org and squeeze this order in. Ill probably pick this up along w some more Decades!
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Never commented on this site before now, but very nice reviews Kuz. I also tried the Monte Media Noche edmundo and personally, I loved it. Thought it was a great, complex smoke with nice balance and an anise note toward the end that I've never tasted in a cigar before. For the right price (I picked up 10 for $50 on a daily deal somewhere) it's an excellent cigar, but as many other cigars, not worth the retail for a single.

I also have a few King B's that have been resting for a while. I'll have to pull one out soon.