Home General Discussion
Options

Need a Cigar to pair with a good IPA

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
any suggestions? gonna be herfing with mawart in about 2 hours and he has a good IPA on tap. not sure what to smoke with an IPA.......what kind of cigar are we talking?

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly it's all about what's resting...IMO a good earthy stick pairs well with the IPA's something like padron or a sancho
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    what about a CAO concert? reviews say that has an earthy flavor.....
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really if u have it give the camacho triple Madoro a try, the beer will not over pier that smoke, and it's great.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    what about a CAO concert? reviews say that has an earthy flavor.....
    yes!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Hit up Kuzi....he's always combining craft beers man.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I almost never pair beer and cigars.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL......always to never....sorry the irony was funny. As a side note, Im coming clean here-----there is no such thing as a good IPA. There I said it. Some are acceptable, none are good. Gimme a Hefeweizen, Wheat Beer, Shandy, ect. This IPA craze is getting on my nerves and I think I speak for a good percentage of beer, booze, and buzz lovers when I say that.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I disagree, I live outside the US and will say that EU, Belgian, etc. is by far my favorite but I will import IPA's anytime I get a chance. When I am in the US I will buy nothing but IPA in the store and will go with the hoppiest beer I can get when I'm in a bar, which is usually a blue moon or maybe even a Guinness if I'm lucky. I can assure you I've been drinking IPA's for a long while bcuz I like them and that I didnt even know a craze was going on. Almost everyone I know would opt for an IPA over another beer if given the option.
  • Options
    Im not saying everyone...Im saying there are alot like me. Im referring to both IPAs and I gues any of these bitter beers. I love Blue Moon for instance....but when you put it next to Red Brick or Souther Tier----theyre like drinking poisoned tar water.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I almost never pair beer and cigars.
    LOL...I always see you posting pics of killer beers on twitter, that's why I figured you did. I've never liked the pair honestly, takes away from the cigar IMO. Found a weird pair recently...ginger ale with mandarin orange slices in it paired nicely with an LAT54.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL......always to never....sorry the irony was funny. As a side note, Im coming clean here-----there is no such thing as a good IPA. There I said it. Some are acceptable, none are good. Gimme a Hefeweizen, Wheat Beer, Shandy, ect. This IPA craze is getting on my nerves and I think I speak for a good percentage of beer, booze, and buzz lovers when I say that.
    Duuuuuuuude. Heretic! Hahaha, honestly, I'm with you to an extent, but I think the corner is finally being turned here. I think there is a current trend towards more balanced IPAs and they're really good. Check out Sam Adams Double Agent IPL, for example. I know, I know, ale is not lager so IPA is not IPL but with the hybrid yeasts anymore there isn't even a clear distinction between top and bottom fermenting anymore and ale/lager is getting blurry, so I'm counting it! I know I've had other good, balanced, ones recently but I'm drawing a bit of a blank ATM.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    ended up pairing a Boulevard single wide IPA with the CAO Concert. the pairing really brought out the floral taste in the cigar that i have read about in reviews. That would be one of the first times where I enjoyed an earthy floral type cigar. If I go with beer i normally pair it with a wheat beer.
  • Options
    Magic Hat #9 considered an IPA?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Hmm, well I have let them grow on me. If you are ever in Portland I can show you some good places that have IPA's. Though they are not usually my first choice but it depends. Fat Tire makes a decent one, not sure if you have had it though.

To the OP, I really don't drink beer with cigars though a camacho 3x maduro might work with a strong IPA, though I have only paired that one with a dark full stout. Maybe a Man o War would be nice with a IPA, more than a Camacho 3x maddy, but it all depends on your tastes. I love that cigar so for me anything would be okay.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Im not saying everyone...Im saying there are alot like me. Im referring to both IPAs and I gues any of these bitter beers. I love Blue Moon for instance....but when you put it next to Red Brick or Souther Tier----theyre like drinking poisoned tar water.
    a good IPA is not that bitter at all. just hopsy

try founders double trouble IPA on tap. it may change your mind.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:

Kuzi, I'm assuming you must have a really nice bar near you. Finding Founders on tap anywhere is an accomplishment. Finding one of their limited releases on tap is even better. I haven't had that one yet, so I'll definitely look around for it when it comes out in a couple months!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:

Kuzi, I'm assuming you must have a really nice bar near you. Finding Founders on tap anywhere is an accomplishment. Finding one of their limited releases on tap is even better. I haven't had that one yet, so I'll definitely look around for it when it comes out in a couple months!
    I know a bar or two with Founders on tap. I'll keep an eye out for you Tony.
  • Options
    Maybe its the hops I dont like and the bitter Kuz-------Lol, IDK, it just all kinda makes me go "eeek" at first------but 8 beers later i love it all;)