Home Non Cigar Related

Best Concert/Concert Memories

BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got lots to add in a thread like this. Basically, wax nostalgic because those were some special times and some great memories that came from getting the tickets, pre-festivities, the show and post-festivities.

Comments

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    There are so many shows over the years. Seeing Van Halen for the first time on September 15th, 1980 just blew me away. Sitting 11th row for Pink Floyd in 1988. More recently going to see bands from my youth like Journey, Leppard, Night Ranger and Iron Maiden with a large group of friends just partying on the lawn. Nice memories. Great thread idea Shizzza!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Help me pick.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will start off with my first concert at 15 years old. I was a huge Beatles fan and used to follow them religiously as solo artists as well. In 1976, Paul McCartney and Wings were coming to the fabulous Forum in Inglewood, Ca. I remember the record store I used to visit had a bulletin board behind the counter. The time a friend and I went in there we noticed tickets thumb tacked to the board. Who was it? I asked..."Paul McCartney and Wings" he answered. How much? I asked and he replied.."$8.00 each" my friend and I put back our LP's back and bought those 2 tickets. Even though we didn't have a drivers license yet, we figured we could find a way to get down there.(more to follow) So, I get my Mom to drive us down there so my friend and I go to the concert and she takes my little sister to the movies in Inglewood...ever been there? The concert was great! Ringo came on stage at the end and handed roses to Linda McCartney. Greg Allman and Cher were in the crowd. I got a T-Shirt for $5.00.. Just a great experience!
    beatnic:
    Help me pick.

Man Beat, you and I must be twins!! All great choices, pick one and go.... I want to feel like I was there!
    If I had to: 1975 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Born to Run Tour. 3 hours of the ultimate Rock and Roll
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    If I had to: 1975 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Born to Run Tour. 3 hours of the ultimate Rock and Roll
    that would've been amazing to see man...
    Hard for me to say really, many of them I don't remember so much, more the feeling I had there. I've always been a concert hound being a musician and have hundreds of tickets stashed in a cigar box. Dylan and the dead comes to mind.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    August 1974 Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I had just turned 17 on July 20. They had a bunch of Mcintosh Amps powering their equipment. You can't miss the blue hue of a Mcintosh! Thanks for bringing back memories of one of the best concerts I ever attended!
    Dark Roast:
    August 1974 Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I had just turned 17 on July 20. They had a bunch of Mcintosh Amps powering their equipment. You can't miss the blue hue of a Mcintosh! Thanks for bringing back memories of one of the best concerts I ever attended!
    Ohh Yeah!! I got some of those Neil and CSN &Y stories too!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    you all are OLD!

for reference, my first concert when i was like 13 or 14 was Milli Vanilli............now that is some quality concert going.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't been to a concert in probably 18 years but the 2 that really stand out were both Stevie Ray Vaughn. Great outdoor concerts.
    brianetz1:
    you all are OLD!

for reference, my first concert when i was like 13 or 14 was Milli Vanilli............now that is some quality concert going.
    I believe the word you were searching for is WISE. However, being "old" placed me in the middle of the Rock and Roll Superfest known as The 70's. You youngsters can only dream!
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Let's see...
    The first Lalapalooza tour
    Def Leppard's comeback tour after Rick Allen lost his arm
    Journey and Foreigner('99)
    Monsters of Rock with Metallica headlining('86, I think)
    Primus, who happened to be passing through Tampa and decided to do an impromptu set
    Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels" tour
    ...too many others to list, but the best memory would be Ozzy's "Merry Mayhem" tour in 2001 that my wife and I went to a week before our wedding. Soil, Mudvayne, Rob Zombie and The Oz with Zakk Wylde on guitar and Rob Trujillo on bass. Mind blowing from 6 rows back!
    Dark Roast:
    omg...I bet those Mac's sounded unreal man.... I'd love to have a Mac system in my home... Nothing compares
    Rhamlin:
    Haven't been to a concert in probably 18 years but the 2 that really stand out were both Stevie Ray Vaughn. Great outdoor concerts.
    My favorite outdoor show.... Hmmmm. 1977 at Anaheim Stadium and saw Ted Nugent, Foreigner, lynryrd Skynryrd.. Skynryrd was unbelievable and that show cost $10.00 and it was extremely 420 friendly. How about another great outdoor clusterF... The US Festival in 1983.. It was sooo hot and the women were wearing hardly anything! Great concert with the Clash, U2, The Police....miserable conditions but it made for an awesome experience.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    brianetz1:
    you all are OLD!

I believe the word you were searching for is WISE. However, being "old" placed me in the middle of the Rock and Roll Superfest known as The 70's. You youngsters can only dream!
    old/wise....i guess they go hand in hand. :)

The problem that i have is that we have a local band call The Urge whose live performances blew away any big stage performer that i have ever seen. The only thing to come close was a Metallica show back in 1994.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Don't know how many of you guys saw this, but thank you for this thread Jim, it reminded me of this amazing weekend I had about a year ago!

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/502105.aspx

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I went to a Tool show in Southaven, MS just outside of Memphis a backin 07 that was one of the more epic journeys of my college career. It had been postponed because Danny Carey had torn a bicep, but that's beside the point.

We crammed 5 of us into a white 1987 Honda Civic hatchback affectionately named "the egg." Think Wayne and Garth in the pinto. That's right, three deep in the back seat and I was riding ****. We drove in some of the heaviest rain I think I've ever seen from Little Rock, AR following a wicked front all the way across the state. I think had there been less weight in the car it would have hydroplaned off the road, but alas it did not. Travelling at 30 to 40 miles per hour from Little Rock to Memphis takes a while, but we didn't have time to slow down or stop for fear of being late to the show. We whiteknuckled it all the way and right as we got to West Memphis, AR the clouds parted and we had finally gotten out ahead of the front.

I don't know how many of you have been across the I-40/55 bridge over the Mississippi River, but it is quite bumpy and we could smell the tire burning from rubbing the inside of the wheel well over every bump, probably due to the 5 adults in "the egg." This did not concern us, we had a show to get to. We arrived just in time to see Kinski, the opening act.

For those of you who like Tool, but have not been to a show, I can't explain how awesome their live shows are. This was my second time to see them, and the next time they're anywhere near here I will gladly go see them again, or any of Maynard's other projects for that matter.
    We finished the night up gambling in Tunica, and dragging home the next day.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Rage Against the Machine was really really good.
    Family Values Tour 2 was pretty good. That was before Staind was big and they also had Primus on stage with Buckethead which was rad
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Dark Roast:
    omg...I bet those Mac's sounded unreal man.... I'd love to have a Mac system in my home... Nothing compares
    Dustin it was the most crisp, clear uncluttered reproduced sound you could imagine. You could hear every note played. You are right, mcintosh is worth every penny and more. If only I could afford.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Best concert memories? ZZ Top shaking the Coliseum with LaGrange, Have mercy, Jesus just left Chicago, Deep Purple-Machine Head tour, Smoke on the Water= wow, Allman Brothers x3, the twin drummers, hammond organ and slide guitars were an awesome combination, Skynyrd rocking the hometown, Rolling Stones 1975, pretty special after that tea we drank and got the cowpie off of our shoes, can't say anymore. I will note I didn't leave my chair the entire time for any reason but I felt I could transport anywhere at will.
    I believe it was December 12, 1980 at the San Bernadino Fairgrounds...Grateful Dead. My friends and I decided to do our version of Woodstock. We had in the parking lot, a keg that was stolen and mason jars filled with moonshine and to cap it off, 3 grams of mushrooms. So, it was festival seating and a crowd was forming at the entrance which was like a funnel with brick walls on the sides and a chain link fence was the entry point. The crowd got larger and larger and started pushing in waves and it started to get hard to breathe and very claustrophobic. Less than a week earlier was The Who concert in Ohio that 8 people died by getting crushed and John Lennon was assassinated 4 days earlier. So when the gates opened up, we stormed ahead and then I realized I'd be standing, pinned in for a Dead show. Ever been through a Dead show? Not exactly quick. For 4 hours I battled the mushroom high and helped lift a guy out after he passed out right in front of me. It turns out he mixed LSD and Wild Turkey (not recommended) and I asked him why he was all wet? He said he went swimming in the fountain out front. Before his eyes rolled back in his head, he was yelling at the Hells Angels located all around the venue. It was a very interesting evening to say the least.
    fla-gypsy:
    Best concert memories? ZZ Top shaking the Coliseum with LaGrange, Have mercy, Jesus just left Chicago, Deep Purple-Machine Head tour, Smoke on the Water= wow, Allman Brothers x3, the twin drummers, hammond organ and slide guitars were an awesome combination, Skynyrd rocking the hometown, Rolling Stones 1975, pretty special after that tea we drank and got the cowpie off of our shoes, can't say anymore. I will note I didn't leave my chair the entire time for any reason but I felt I could transport anywhere at will.
    Those sound like some awesome shows!
    pelirrojo:
    I went to a Tool show in Southaven, MS just outside of Memphis a backin 07 that was one of the more epic journeys of my college career. It had been postponed because Danny Carey had torn a bicep, but that's beside the point.

We crammed 5 of us into a white 1987 Honda Civic hatchback affectionately named "the egg." Think Wayne and Garth in the pinto. That's right, three deep in the back seat and I was riding ****. We drove in some of the heaviest rain I think I've ever seen from Little Rock, AR following a wicked front all the way across the state. I think had there been less weight in the car it would have hydroplaned off the road, but alas it did not. Travelling at 30 to 40 miles per hour from Little Rock to Memphis takes a while, but we didn't have time to slow down or stop for fear of being late to the show. We whiteknuckled it all the way and right as we got to West Memphis, AR the clouds parted and we had finally gotten out ahead of the front.

I don't know how many of you have been across the I-40/55 bridge over the Mississippi River, but it is quite bumpy and we could smell the tire burning from rubbing the inside of the wheel well over every bump, probably due to the 5 adults in "the egg." This did not concern us, we had a show to get to. We arrived just in time to see Kinski, the opening act.

For those of you who like Tool, but have not been to a show, I can't explain how awesome their live shows are. This was my second time to see them, and the next time they're anywhere near here I will gladly go see them again, or any of Maynard's other projects for that matter.
    Great story Gordon!! Love Tool I almost went to see them at the Gorge. Dammit..
  • Fritz_the_CatFritz_the_Cat Posts: 27
    1973 Grateful Dead at Madison WI. Can't remember crap about the show but got invited to the after party at the Sheraton across the street. Billy Krutzman, both Godchauxs, Weir, Lesh,, we met them all in the hotel bar and had a beer with them as none of us were brave enough to knock on the doors! We were back at the elevators when Billy came by, heading for the bar and he invited us along. What a night!
    pelirrojo:

Seeing Tool is a religious experience. I broke my nose and busted my eye wide open the last time I saw them. It was worth every penny showing up to the office the following Monday and explaining to clients for a few weeks. Damn Jack Daniels...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    12/31/86. I was 16 and went to my first concert featuring Oingo Boingo at the Sports Arena in San Diego. It lasted about 3 1/2 hours. They did about 3-4 encores and we had a blast.

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Toombes and Dennis,... PRIMUS sucks!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Hey Toombes and Dennis,... PRIMUS sucks!

Primus SUCKS!!! Woot! It was an interesting show, to say the least. They were playing to a SRO crowd in a renovated theater which meant there were about 150 people. By the end of the show Les Claypool was down to a kelpie hat, work boots and his tightie-whities.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    not gonna lie, thinking about this brought a tear or two to my eyes... it was nov 2007 in Indianapolis at the National FFA Convention, 6 rows back, The beach boys and Uncle Jessie....err... John Stamos. That trip was one of the happiest times in my life, i was with a group of friends far away from home, participating in an event with tens of thousands of other teenagers.