Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked a RP Fusion MM yesterday during my walk and a RP Fusion last night on the way to my "friends" house. Didn't finish the fusion last night so I cam going to try and finish it today. Not sure what I am smoking tonight. I just got this Master Blends 2 last week and am itching to smoke one. Plus it is the Oliva event by me. I know I haven't had the MB2 that long but I'm dying to try it. So maybe that and something else. I think I have a Gran Habano 3 Siglos waiting too amongst other things.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Montecristo Habana Edmundo
  • Options
    mario6736mario6736 Posts: 11

I am new to the wonderful world of cigars.  I am still trying to find where I fit in. I have been "experimenting" with different cigars.  So far I seem to be drawn to the flavored cigars. So tonight I am going to smoke a Kahlua cigar. A friend of mine told me to try one, that I would enjoy it. Since they are discontinued (so I've heard) they were hard to find, but I found one Smile [:)].

Any suggestions are welcomed.

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kAHLUA is what I started on my cigar journey with ... :)
  • Options
    mario6736:

I am new to the wonderful world of cigars.  I am still trying to find where I fit in. I have been "experimenting" with different cigars.  So far I seem to be drawn to the flavored cigars. So tonight I am going to smoke a Kahlua cigar. A friend of mine told me to try one, that I would enjoy it. Since they are discontinued (so I've heard) they were hard to find, but I found one Smile [:)].

Any suggestions are welcomed.

You should try the Acid Cold Infusion Tea. It's a light smoke that you may enjoy. I'm not big on flavored smokes but I smoked mine to the nub.
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Last night was a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic. mMmMMmMMm delicious.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hello ! Who's your friend ? Ummm... I guess I should talk about cigars..
    I like the Cold Tea too, along with the Atom, which I tried for the first time this week. Drew Estates has some interesting what I call, change of pace cigars. Oh yeah, I like the Natural Clean Robusto too.
  • Options
    olerob_50+olerob_50+ Posts: 52
    Have a Perdomo Criollo 10th going in the figurado vitola,my 1st & it's a good smoke.I have one more & probably will buy more.Goes good with a little Crown straight.Hell anything goes with a little Crown. LOL
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Tonight was my second RP Summer of 08 - love it, but have to careful as they kick my butt.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    olerob_50+:
    Have a Perdomo Criollo 10th going in the figurado vitola,my 1st & it's a good smoke.I have one more & probably will buy more.Goes good with a little Crown straight.Hell anything goes with a little Crown. LOL
    That's a good cigar Rob, I really like it. The robusto is pretty good too, though I'd have to say the figurado is better.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    Had a Joya de Nicaragua Antano Churchill this afternoon that was kinda dissapointing. It had a tight draw and it kept going out on me. I'm hoping this was just a bad stick and not all their Churchills are like that. Oh well, the Belicoso and Robustos are still awesome, lol. I followed that one up this evening with a RP OWR Corojo 2nd, great cigar as usual.
    The churchills just aren't as good Tony...I wouldn't bother with the lancero either if I were you, you'd be disappointed all over again. The belicoso is the way to go, second to that is the toro, and the robusto after that...in my opinion anyway.
    ive been becoming more of a churchill fan myself as of late. im not sure why.

as long as they are complex its all good. if they are one of those sticks that is the same from beginning to end then i cant but.... i find that for a long cigar that tends to be complex over the length of the stick, i cant complain with a churchil.

maybe i should smoke more "A" sized cigars
    I like a good churchill too, but this particular cigar really loses something special in that vitola.
    Yeah, I definately found it lacking. The Belicoso and the Robusto are both excellent though. I picked up a sampler of them that had 5 different sizes in it though, so I'm giving them all a whirl.

I went to a pretty nice B&M here in Baton Rouge tonight and had a Joya de Nicaragua I've never seen before tonight. It was a torpedo, very long taper (similar to the 5 Vegas Classic Torpedo) and had a small, simple brown band with the three leaf logo in green. The cellos were all very yellowed. I asked one of the guys there about it, and apparently they no longer make them, and these had about 3-4 years of age on them. I picked one up and smoked it there, damn it was good. Not necessarily better than the Antano, but damn good anyways. Best part was that on close out they were a little under $5 each, so I picked up a few more.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had one of my worst in a long time - padilla obsidian. The flavor was fine, but I just couldn't keep it lit. The draw seemed fine, no plug or anything, but I just keep it going. I'm not sure what the problem was, and this is one I've had before and liked, but I let this one go out and now I'm getting pretty tired of Padilla. Had plenty of construction/burn issues with the ones I've tried.
  • Options
    jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    Had a Gurkha Ancient Warrior. Wow! One of the best ever. Lots of cedar. Excellent construction, great burn. No touch ups required. I got these free with a purchase, I hope they are not too expensive. I will be needing more.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    A 601 green label tonight. a fine smoke! Not complex, but I liked the flavor it was - through out. Had an old world reserve earlier - I believe that came from Bass - or perhaps he sent me the sun grown that I smoked last night. :) So many smokes so little time...
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I like the Cold Tea too, along with the Atom, which I tried for the first time this week. Drew Estates has some interesting what I call, change of pace cigars. Oh yeah, I like the Natural Clean Robusto too.
    The Cold Infusion Tea is the only one in the Acid line that I have had. Are the rest worth the price of admission?
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    So, I had an Oliva V Maduro tonight. At the risk of sounding crazy, I didn't enjoy it at ALL! I really really hope I just got a bad one. I have not had any other Oliva's that were bad. I actually really like all the others I've had.

Anyway, I have had this one aging about 3 months. I took it out, cut it, and toasted the foot. Lit it up, and immediately got a very harsh, ammonia taste. It was so overpowering I almost put it out right then. I let it burn for a few minutes, then just puffed very shallow for a while to get it burning again. I got the same flavor. I endured this for about the first inch, and it finally mellowed, but was still the only real taste I got. Also, it had an incredibly loose draw. There was zero resistance in the draw. I finally couldn't take it and put it out about 2.5 inches in. I think I'm going to get another one and give it another shot. This cigar has had way too many good reviews for me to quit after that one.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I was going to break out my new House Blend from my local B&M last night while I grilled up some chicken, but the little one wasn't feeling too good I stayed in and helped the wife out with him while going out to check (CHECK NOT CHOKE) the chicken. I will be having a smoke or two tonight for sure and probably a few tomorrow. On the up side though, the chicken was awesome! lol Nice Garlic, Herb, and Lemon marinade I made up with a big loaded baked potato with butter, cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream, some baby carrots, and a tossed salad.
  • Options
    Two nights ago I smoked a Montecristo Habana Edmundo; it was very good. Last night I smoked a Nestor Reserve Connecticut Corona Gorda Cedro; it was awful. I bought a bundle for like fifty bucks and every one that I have tried smoking has been terrible. They have an incredibly tight draw on them and when you do get some smoke there is hardly any flavor. I'll be going back to the Montecristo Habanas tonight. I've got a couple of #3s in my humi.
  • Options
    I just got my hands on a Padilla Hybrid Robusto. I think I'll be smoking that tonight and save the Monte for another night.
  • Options
    jpclotfelter:
    kaspera79:
    The Cold Infusion Tea is the only one in the Acid line that I have had. Are the rest worth the price of admission?
    Drew Estates, in my opinion makes quality cigars... well blended, interesting to try, very distinct in there flavor profile and shapes, I have tried many and enjoyed them for the uniqueness each time.
    Worth the price ? of course..If I enjoy it then I consider it money well spent. Try the Liga Privada for a straight forward cigar from D.E.
    Acid, and Subculture, always expect something " different".
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I smoked a cold infusion tea the other day and hated it, althgough it was rolled and burnt perfectly; it was just a flavor thing. I like all the rest of the DE cigars I've had, but that one was not for me.

I'm gonna smoke a graycliff 1666 with coffee this morning to start out my day.
  • Options
    andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    This is going to be a two night post. Thursday night, I arrived in New Orleans for a weekend wedding and was staying with my better halves parents, which have a great house here. In the rain storm, I got myself a nice glass of Pappy Van Winkles and my dogs and sat down to smoke a cigar that I had really been looking for-Rocky Patel's 1992. I sat down, ready to enjoy and within the first few draws realized that I had my first experience with a bad stick. Something had gone wrong with it and I was very disappointed. My question is what are some possibilities to have gone wrong with it?(On a side note, nothing was wrong with the Pappy's! :-)

Last night , we got home from the rehearsal dinner and sat on the porch and my girlfriend and I shared an El Rey Del Mundo Red label. It was excellent, we both really enjoyed it. Good spice. Not sure what I'm smoking tonight, we're going to Dos Jeffes cigar bar after the wedding so I'll make sure to let everyone know! Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Just finished an El Mejor Espresso, courtesy of a fine member here, to unwind after a long day at the farm. Next: ham and bacon sandwich!
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    So, I had an Oliva V Maduro tonight. At the risk of sounding crazy, I didn't enjoy it at ALL! I really really hope I just got a bad one. I have not had any other Oliva's that were bad. I actually really like all the others I've had.

Anyway, I have had this one aging about 3 months. I took it out, cut it, and toasted the foot. Lit it up, and immediately got a very harsh, ammonia taste. It was so overpowering I almost put it out right then. I let it burn for a few minutes, then just puffed very shallow for a while to get it burning again. I got the same flavor. I endured this for about the first inch, and it finally mellowed, but was still the only real taste I got. Also, it had an incredibly loose draw. There was zero resistance in the draw. I finally couldn't take it and put it out about 2.5 inches in. I think I'm going to get another one and give it another shot. This cigar has had way too many good reviews for me to quit after that one.
    The two that I have had had the same amonia taste. Not really at the beggining closer to the middle and end. So, you are not crazy!
  • Options
    I had two cigars yesterday. I was supposed to go to an Oliva event but with the rain we decided not to go since the shop is small and most everybody hangs outside. My first cigar was a Gurkha Ancient Warrior. I really liked this cigar. I have had it for a while, maybe 6 months. The second was a Oliva MB2. It was a decent smoke. Nothing to write home about but not bad at all. Maybe next time I should try the MB2 first. I went right from one to the other so maybe my palette was a little messed up. My friend and I traded last night. I gave him a GoF Don Carlos and he gave me an ISOM R&J Churchill. We met this guy sitting right behind us that was originally from NJ and moved to FL. He has been to the shop I went to while in Miami and he is also a sax player which I am too. He was cool and gave my two friends a RP Summer 08 each. I didn't take one because I have had one before. He was a cool guy and very knowledgeable. He knows all the shops in West Palm Beach and has even been to the Fuente store in Vegas. Plus he know a lot of shops in NJ. He said he smokes between 6 and 8 a day. I was amazed. I have trouble with more than 4 and that is even pushing it.
  • Options
    So far today a Don Tomas Clasico Corinat(sp) - so-so ...tasted ok but nothing special . I would not buy another but would not turn one down either. Then a Montecristo a friend gave me . Good and smooth , nice flavor , very mild . had some burn issues but pretty good nonetheless. Heading home from work in a few ...may get to kick back and enjoy one on the deck or in the hot tub tonight ...
  • Options
    Bauza by Fuentes. The draw on this one was a bit tight, like there was a knot in it. I tried to roll it between my fingers to loosen it but it wasn't enough. I had to deal with it. This one was about 15 months old and came from a five pack instead of my usual box purchase on this brand.. The draw really affected the flavor profile in a negative way. The leather, wood, and citrus, was there but, I didn't enjoy it the way I have countless times before. I will try again soon on these.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Had a long day of work (not a long day at work, as the time flew by, but boy do I feel it), so the perfect medicine for that was a La Flor Dominicana Ligero Oscuro Cabinet (that's a mouthful) in the long robusto size (like 5.5 x 50). Damn good as always and leaves me with that nice, warm and fuzzy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm not sure what it is about the La Flor Ligero, but it had this flavor all its own, this oily sweetness to it with a backbone of pepper...whatever it is, it's delicious.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    So far today a Don Tomas Clasico Corinat(sp) - so-so ...tasted ok but nothing special . I would not buy another but would not turn one down either. Then a Montecristo a friend gave me . Good and smooth , nice flavor , very mild . had some burn issues but pretty good nonetheless. Heading home from work in a few ...may get to kick back and enjoy one on the deck or in the hot tub tonight ...

Turned out to be the deck too tired for the hottub effort. And the smoke was a RP Vintage 1992. Lasted one hour and forty minutes. Great construction and burn. This baby had tons of smoke , must have looked like my house was on fire to the neighbors. Flavor was good, woodsy and spice and something else I can't quite describe. I enjoyed it and will keep a few on hand but honestly I think I remember enjoying the 1990 more ...or did I ? Damn , now I need to smoke one of each back to back. Heck of a problem to have huh?
  • Options
    The debate continues.. 1992 no 1990, 1990 no 1992.. Right now I'm stuck on 1992.. I think.