Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    1990 has the honduran wrapper right? i like that one better.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Honduran...of course you do! :) And I still don't care for either one, give me a Decade and I'm happy as can be.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    Honduran...of course you do! :) And I still don't care for either one, give me a Decade and I'm happy as can be.

The Decade is probably my favorite of the RP's ....
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

I Haven't had a Decade yet, but I had to sit between two guys yesterday as THEY both smoked them and were blathering on about how great they were.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

I Haven't had a Decade yet, but I had to sit between two guys yesterday as THEY both smoked them and were blathering on about how great they were.

Holy Cow Kas what are you waiting for man !?!? I don't think you will be dissapointed at all ...do you at least have some resting ?
  • Options
    .. No, I haven't found any at my local shop, and have imposed a temporary ban on online shopping..I'll get some when I do my " back-to-school shopping " :}
  • Options
    Hhmmm...Kas sending you a PM
  • Options
    Replied to you Geno..
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    kaspera79:
    .. No, I haven't found any at my local shop, and have imposed a temporary ban on online shopping..I'll get some when I do my " back-to-school shopping " :}
    Why the online shopping ban?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jpclotfelter:
    kaspera79:
    Why the online shopping ban?
    When it comes to cigars.... I call the internet the "Black Hole"... ugh... I'm just glad my girlfriend isn't home all the time to see all my deliveries

"Honey??? Are there MORE little boxes in the dining room? Did you get more cigars???"
  • Options
    and BINGO was his name-O. Lassie knows all.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Had another Graycliff Original. I'm really impressed with these, but I'm not going to pay 18$ or whatever they cost. I would pick them up if I saw a deal though.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Speaking of awesome RPs, had my first summer 08 last night in the robusto vitola. Always love a sumata and I think I have yet to try and RP I didn't enjoy. Some more than others. This would probably go in my top five RPs. I agree with Gene or Jozer or Kas or whoever said decade was their favorite. 1992 would be right behind that. I bought the summer 08 at a local shop and also picked up a spring 09.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Speaking of awesome RPs, had my first summer 08 last night in the robusto vitola. Always love a sumata and I think I have yet to try and RP I didn't enjoy. Some more than others. This would probably go in my top five RPs. I agree with Gene or Jozer or Kas or whoever said decade was their favorite. 1992 would be right behind that. I bought the summer 08 at a local shop and also picked up a spring 09.
    I enjoy the Rocky Summer '08 very much, but haven't had any of the other "Blends" lemme know how the Spring 09 is!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was another 2 cigar day. First was a RP Conneticut, I'll be just fine if I never have another one of those. Second was a CI Yellow Label, gifted to me by BOTL on this here board. Damn fine cigar ...
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I had a great cigar evening last night!
    It was a 3 cigar night!

1st up to bat was an AJ Fernandez Signature Robusto. I just filled up on a burger and a chicken sandwich.
    This thing didnt dissapoint. Was as good as I remember the 1st one. Again it started off as a pepper bomb, but I was prepared w a full belly and I knew it was coming so I handled it fine. Then smoothed out to be a great cigar w a razor burn line.
    About 3/4 way through this cigar Cholmes showed up and us and a bunch of buddies headed inside to play poker.
    I smoked this down to the NUB.
    I drank Newcastle while smoking this one.

2nd Cigar was a Rocky Patel Decade Torpedo.
    Q: Whats better than playing poker and drinking with your buddies??
    A: Playing poker and drinking w your buddies while smoking a ROCKY PATEL DECADE!
    The burn was a littly wavy on this one, but it never required a corrective light. (Maybe one near the end when I left it unattended) This one was a 2Hour deliscious smoke.
    I burned this to the burn!
    I drank Newcastle and added in a little Glenkitchie over ice to the mix for this.
    What a great pairing!

The draw on this one was a little looser than I remember them. I got a few more in the humi, but need to load up on these bad boys.
    While I had the Decade Cholmes fired up a 5 Vegas Relic. I havent had one yet, but he loves them. It didnt look all that great, but if it burns fine and tastes good, who cares?

A couple chili dogs later, Me, Cholmes and my nephew fired up a MOW ruination. I had the Robusto #1. Not sure what the other guys were smoking.

It started off with a tough draw and I started to get dissapointed. So I took a chance and took another clip at the head and it opened right up.
    This sucker was great. It was also so loaded up with Nic it was like a kick in the head.
    It was late, so I only smoked this a little past the 1/2 way point. Almost to the band (The bands on these are huge).

What a fantastic night. I had three great cigars and the only thing that would have made it better was if I won some $ playing poker. I left that part up to Cholmes.

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Sounds awesome, fourto. I'll be in Massachusetts last two weeks of august, I think. I myself had a nice Perdomo ESV 91 second from Maddy, which was fantastic. Nubbed it.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Today is a 5 Vegas Limitada '09. Decent smoke, but I don't think it's as good as the '08. I'll let the rest set for a while and try again.
  • Options
    Don pepin Blue labe 6X50.. if i could only shake this man's hand . ...a cigar hero for sure
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had a Gispert Maduro, big toro-ish size, very sharp box press on it. It wasn't exactly bad, but it was by no means good. After an hour of near flavorless, super-bland smoke, I was only halfway done with it and called it quits. Oh well, at least I only had a single (got in a sampler). Now to determine what to smoke to cheer me up......
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Had a rp summer of 08 after golf....my last one, and it's my new favorite, dang. The first nine holes I was ready to buy a membership, the 2nd nine changed my mind.

Sitting on the porch now with an Oliva Serie 0. This is one big tasty fella - nearing on too strong for me, but what I consider "strong" keeps changing.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I too just finish an oliva serie o...a maduor. Don't think I've had this, would certainly like to have more. Razor sharp burn throughout, create toasty cocoa and carmel flavors.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Finished a RP fusion last night that I started two days before. I know, I know I let it sit to long but with the humidity it didn't dry out. Kept it in the truck with the windows closed and it was fine. Today I smoked a Gurkha Royal Brigade. It was decent. The wrapper is was one of the worst I have seen. It was coarse and there were little tiny cracks all around. The head had the last wrap kinda sticking out. Overall an OK smoke that I probably won't buy again afer I finish up my supply.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    betasynn:
    Sounds awesome, fourto. I'll be in Massachusetts last two weeks of august, I think. I myself had a nice Perdomo ESV 91 second from Maddy, which was fantastic. Nubbed it.
    If you see a guy on Wellfleet beach smoking a cigar it may be me!
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Just enjoyed a Partagas serie S. MMMMmmmmm good stick. Will definetly pick up a few more of these!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    I myself had a nice Perdomo ESV 91 second from Maddy.
    Dude you have to think J0zer and Urbino for turning me on to those guys!
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Fourtotheflush:
    I had a great cigar evening last night!
    It was a 3 cigar night!

1st up to bat was an AJ Fernandez Signature Robusto. I just filled up on a burger and a chicken sandwich.
    This thing didnt dissapoint. Was as good as I remember the 1st one. Again it started off as a pepper bomb, but I was prepared w a full belly and I knew it was coming so I handled it fine. Then smoothed out to be a great cigar w a razor burn line.
    About 3/4 way through this cigar Cholmes showed up and us and a bunch of buddies headed inside to play poker.
    I smoked this down to the NUB.
    I drank Newcastle while smoking this one.

2nd Cigar was a Rocky Patel Decade Torpedo.
    Q: Whats better than playing poker and drinking with your buddies??
    A: Playing poker and drinking w your buddies while smoking a ROCKY PATEL DECADE!
    The burn was a littly wavy on this one, but it never required a corrective light. (Maybe one near the end when I left it unattended) This one was a 2Hour deliscious smoke.
    I burned this to the burn!
    I drank Newcastle and added in a little Glenkitchie over ice to the mix for this.
    What a great pairing!

The draw on this one was a little looser than I remember them. I got a few more in the humi, but need to load up on these bad boys.
    While I had the Decade Cholmes fired up a 5 Vegas Relic. I havent had one yet, but he loves them. It didnt look all that great, but if it burns fine and tastes good, who cares?

A couple chili dogs later, Me, Cholmes and my nephew fired up a MOW ruination. I had the Robusto #1. Not sure what the other guys were smoking.

It started off with a tough draw and I started to get dissapointed. So I took a chance and took another clip at the head and it opened right up.
    This sucker was great. It was also so loaded up with Nic it was like a kick in the head.
    It was late, so I only smoked this a little past the 1/2 way point. Almost to the band (The bands on these are huge).

What a fantastic night. I had three great cigars and the only thing that would have made it better was if I won some $ playing poker. I left that part up to Cholmes.

Yeah, I have to thank Four for the generous invite to hang out, play poker, and enjoy cigars and adult beverages with his family. I did indeed start out with the 5 Vegas Relic. It is a very respectable smoke, with a very nice, smooth flavor. I wouldn't say I "love" it, but it is always a welcome choice. They have been incredibly consistent every time i have smoked one, and are always enjoyable. About the time I finished with this one, I won the first house game of poker. I was enjoying 16oz Miller Lites the whole time.

We took a break from the cigars while playing the second game to give the ladies who were playing a break. I have to say, they were troopers during the first game, sittin there while 4 guys smoked around them. I have to admit, I won this game as well. I hope I get invited back. I feel like a greedy guest, winning both games the first time I met everyone. Oh well, my bank account is thanking me!!

After a break and a little chow, we did fire up the MOW Ruinations. Always excellent!!! This is the top cigar for me. It has all the elements covered - spice up front, full body, a ton of smoke, razor straight burn line, and a smooth, lasting finish. 2 excellent cigars, great company, great beer, and poker. Best night I've had since moving to MA. Thanks Four!
  • Options
    andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    andrewh:
    This is going to be a two night post. Thursday night, I arrived in New Orleans for a weekend wedding and was staying with my better halves parents, which have a great house here. In the rain storm, I got myself a nice glass of Pappy Van Winkles and my dogs and sat down to smoke a cigar that I had really been looking for-Rocky Patel's 1992. I sat down, ready to enjoy and within the first few draws realized that I had my first experience with a bad stick. Something had gone wrong with it and I was very disappointed. My question is what are some possibilities to have gone wrong with it?(On a side note, nothing was wrong with the Pappy's! :-) Last night , we got home from the rehearsal dinner and sat on the porch and my girlfriend and I shared an El Rey Del Mundo Red label. It was excellent, we both really enjoyed it. Good spice. Not sure what I'm smoking tonight, we're going to Dos Jeffes cigar bar after the wedding so I'll make sure to let everyone know! Thanks guys!
    After the wedding we did end up going to Dos Jeffes (if you ever make it to New Orleans, great place to have a smoke.) and I decided to try the RP 1992 again and see if the first stick was just a fluke. It sure was a fluke! This was a great cigar, I'm looking forward to smoking a 1990 soon to see where I stand on the debate!
  • Options
    andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    andrewh:
    This is going to be a two night post. Thursday night, I arrived in New Orleans for a weekend wedding and was staying with my better halves parents, which have a great house here. In the rain storm, I got myself a nice glass of Pappy Van Winkles and my dogs and sat down to smoke a cigar that I had really been looking for-Rocky Patel's 1992. I sat down, ready to enjoy and within the first few draws realized that I had my first experience with a bad stick. Something had gone wrong with it and I was very disappointed. My question is what are some possibilities to have gone wrong with it?(On a side note, nothing was wrong with the Pappy's! :-) Last night , we got home from the rehearsal dinner and sat on the porch and my girlfriend and I shared an El Rey Del Mundo Red label. It was excellent, we both really enjoyed it. Good spice. Not sure what I'm smoking tonight, we're going to Dos Jeffes cigar bar after the wedding so I'll make sure to let everyone know! Thanks guys!
    After the wedding we did end up going to Dos Jeffes (if you ever make it to New Orleans, great place to have a smoke.) and I decided to try the RP 1992 again and see if the first stick was just a fluke. It sure was a fluke! This was a great cigar, I'm looking forward to smoking a 1990 soon to see where I stand on the debate!
  • Options
    No smoke for me today... damn shame too... was planning on one all day, then damn movie night with the girlfriend kicked into gear... shoot