Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

A Drinking Man's Review

2»

Comments

• Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Here is a way to enjoy a favorite cigar down to the very last bit.
  • Options
    Tonight we started with Salmon adding my special spices and fresh Rosemary:
    I placed it in my Oven because Wrens are raising a family in the Barbie.
    Accompanied it with a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.
    Later We headed for the Devil Dog Lounge. (about a 25 ft Walk) LOL. Grabbed a San Lotano Oval from my Humidor and refilled my glass with wine. My Baby joined me with her pipe packed with Walt's blend #2 (BLWB and Very CherrY). Proceeded to enjoy my Oval with the aroma of Walt's blend wafting acrross my nose and some warm lips from my Baby. The sound system was playing and I settled down for a great smoke. AJ once again satisfied by desires with the oval. Just an enjoyable time and I'm here to share it with you.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    You need to hook up a system so you can smoke at the DDB&G.
  • Options
    Rain:
    You need to hook up a system so you can smoke at the DDB&G.

May one day but since its an open structure it would have to be large enough to cover the tot sq ft of living space. The Lounge has the same immenities but separate. Bring your drink in listen to the music. Enjoy the ambiance with others and enjoy your stogie. When you're done come back in and share the experience with non cig and cigar smokers. Pipes allowed throughout at all times. House Rules. (Grill food allowed in the lounge)
  • Options
    Hmm, yeah, I forgot how much open space there was.
  • Options
    Thank You Shorty for your Diesel. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad I have more. By the way I used my pipe to get it down to a really small nub.
  • Options
    The term no good deed goes unpunished wrung through again.
    After working for the last week with a vet and his wife trying to get him into some sort of psych facility I have finally succeeded and as no good deed goes unpunished my Sportster crapped out on me and I had to walk over a mile without my cane to go home and get my trailer. Load the bike by myself and haul it to the shop. Its now home I'm home and after a cool off in my lounge I now feel better.
    Now for the review.
    I entered the Devil Dog Lounge tired sweaty and frayed. I opened the humidor originally gonna smoke a shorty but I only have 3 left until my order arrives. Shorty personifies my personality. I looked to my Gurkha stack. I know everyone hates em. But I like the ones with a personality. Remember pipes are my all day suckers. My home brew blends are meant to be tasty but no bite because the pipe hangs in my mouth till I go to bed. so when I go for a cigar it has to make a statement. It has to cry dip me in Tobasco. I don't want hot burning crap I want smoke you can chew on and solid taste sensations. No namby pamby crap.
    I lit it up and poured a triple spanish Brandy to begin. The Gurkha was a Legend Double Corona Double Maduro. It smoked good. Enough smoke and long enough to enjoy a few Brandys. Burned evenly (Note I rest it in a vertical position). Ash up. thumbed through my CC catalog. Thought about the dead Soprano and my roots back in the Bronx NY. I may have lost alot if not all of my Bronx accent but not my attitude. I remembered the Italians smoking their almost black colored Cheroots that looked like black turds and wondered what ever happened to them. So good. Many may not like the Gurkhas but I have a few I like and this one was no exception. Well back to the lounge for another stogie, more Brandy and memories of a grand era gone by.
  • Options
    Bwahaha, you said namby pamby.Whatcha up to this weekend? Sunday, particularly.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Bwahaha, you said namby pamby.Whatcha up to this weekend? Sunday, particularly.

Yea right. LOL. Left my lounge for another review or whatever.
    Took one of my MofW pureo authenticos. I keep a bunch on hand. Some in cellophane for the road. More Brandy. Really feelin Mellow. I don't know about Ya'll. But I LIKE AJ! Havin trouble focusing on the screen. Love my authenticos as well. They're my riding smoke. except for a few Shorties which I use for longer stops. Usually at the **** Toad or some other Biker stop. For you older folks. Think your in the fall of your life. Get over it. Its just beginning. Don't work. Gettin a good income. Have toys. Enjoying life. If I die tomorrow; Bury me a$$ up so the world can kiss it. LOL. Randy what ya doin? Bring the wife up. Love to meet her. Got some shorties for you to try. As for pit bulls. My next dog will be a standard poodle. My cockerpoo is gettin on in age and is totally blind. Standard don't shed and can retrieve ducks. Ask Sly. or whatever his name is. LOL. Gonna check out other threads and back to the lounge. LOL
  • Options
    Wellllll, I'm moving tomorrow and Saturday. I was asking because Brian is going to be in San Antonio on Sunday and I plan on trying to meet up with him. I know it's a little bit of a drive for you, but I figured I'd ask.If you're wasted, you just might say yes! ;)PS - Your dog is awesome, let's hope you don't need to get another one for a while!
  • Options
    Rain:
    Wellllll, I'm moving tomorrow and Saturday. I was asking because Brian is going to be in San Antonio on Sunday and I plan on trying to meet up with him. I know it's a little bit of a drive for you, but I figured I'd ask.If you're wasted, you just might say yes! ;)PS - Your dog is awesome, let's hope you don't need to get another one for a while!

Wasted I am but I'll have to run it by my Baby. She'll be home Mon Morning. There is a great place to meet at the Menger hotel. They have a great tobacco shop there.
  • Options
    Notice these other Namby Pamby reviews? Either say you like it or not. Fruit pepper whatever just say like or not like. the rest I don't care. Oh Forgot. Smoke you can chew onor not. LOL
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Notice these other Namby Pamby reviews? Either say you like it or not. Fruit pepper whatever just say like or not like. the rest I don't care. Oh Forgot. Smoke you can chew onor not. LOL
    I think we have similar taste. Have you tried AJ's fresh rolled maduro? Another I'd put in the same vein but sweeter would be La Duena.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    pilgrimtex:
    I think we have similar taste. Have you tried AJ's fresh rolled maduro? Another I'd put in the same vein but sweeter would be La Duena.

I don't believe at this point though I will probably bring some in in my next order to try. Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.
    By teh way I was born in the Bronx but grew up in Union Hill. Just down the road.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Ken Light:
    pilgrimtex:

I don't believe at this point though I will probably bring some in in my next order to try. Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.
    By teh way I was born in the Bronx but grew up in Union Hill. Just down the road.
    You could do that...or you could PM me your address...

I probably pass by your old stompin' ground every day on the way to work at Barnard College on Broadway and 120th...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    pilgrimtex:
    Ken Light:
    pilgrimtex:

You could do that...or you could PM me your address...

I probably pass by your old stompin' ground every day on the way to work at Barnard College on Broadway and 120th...

If you drive west on Route 10 Heading for Dover after passing rte 53 look for signs that say Union Hill and Openaki Rd. Turn south (left) on Openaki. You'll come to a cross road with an old stone church. The other corner is the Denville board of ed. The place I grew up at was the second house on the left from the crossroad on Openaki. It was gold colored Cape the last time I saw it.
  • Options
    Entered my lounge or should I say fortress of solitude with a full bottle of wine and left it with an empty bottle.
    While there I pulled out a MOW Skull Crusher. WOW great cigar. Full Bodied. Wrong pairing. Oh well I was committed to the bottle. Enjoyed the crusher. My kind of smoke.
    By the way read in one of my cigar cats that if you get an uneven born just rotate the smoke to where the the unburnt portion is down and just keep puffin. Well BS. I did it and no gots; However if I puffed like that and rested in my vertical position (ash up) voila evening out.
    After the Skull Crusher and not yet saited, I grabbed a San Lotano Oval. Oh Man I love the Oval. Wrong Pairing though. Of course I had to finish my bottle so I tredged onward. The oval is what i dream to smoke with my beloved 1866 Brandy. It took me to that same old mission in the spaghetti westerns and the same old cobb webb covered cabinet. The 1866 and my Oval would have brought me to nirvana.
    I thoroughly enjoyed my oval even with the wine. I should have switched to my spanish brandy but I was on a mission. Treva doesen't care for the wine and I don't normally drink Yuppy wine so I wanted to finish it and toss the bottle.
    I enjoyed my Oval and kept the palate wet with wine. Purged the cigar off and on to maintain that new puff flavor and dreamt of the Man from LaMoncha slaying windmills. LOL. Reluctantly I layed the stub to rest and walked out of my fortress. By the way the empty bottle was tossed into the waste basket.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    I like a good home made muskadine wine with a full bodied smoke every now and then.
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    I like a good home made muskadine wine with a full bodied smoke every now and then.

A man after my own heart.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    pilgrimtex:
    Bamablows:

You really can't go wrong with almost ANY type of alcoholic beverage and a good cigar. Life is too short to not enjoy them together.
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    pilgrimtex:
    Bamablows:

You really can't go wrong with almost ANY type of alcoholic beverage and a good cigar. Life is too short to not enjoy them together.

Amen Brother tip a jar for me.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have never been able to get into wine it all just has that after taste I don't like. Now scotch on the other hand. I've not come across many stories that don't pair well with my favorite brand.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I just have never been able to get into wine it all just has that after taste I don't like. Now scotch on the other hand. I've not come across many stories that don't pair well with my favorite brand.
    I was with you until late last year but my now ex-girlfriend introduced me to some wine that I actually liked. Unfortunately reds give me migraines and that's what i would drink more often. But scotch, yeah, that's true love.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Walt,
    I have to say that your reviews are right up my alley. I've done a few where I went into the flavor profiles and what not, but a simple "I like it" or "it sucks bawls" works just as well.
    Gurkha...(sigh) Very few have I found that sit well with me. Centurion, Black Dragon, and Park Avenue most notably. We all know that taste is subjective and to each their own.
    I love your habit of nubbing a good stick in your pipe. Now, I need to find my crappy, POS, cheap-o and give it a whirl. BTW, the pipe blend you mentioned in an earlier post sounds purty darned good. Recently branched into pipes, but still working on my packing technique.
    Booze and stogies? Yes, please!! My favorite libations to pair a good smoke with are Buffalo Trace, McClelland's 1818 Islay or a good Trapist ale. I had to give up wine since it irritates the gouty foot...
    Regardless of my babbling, keep up the reviews! I'm always looking for another BOTL's perspective on a cigar I have or haven't tried.