Home General Discussion
Options

Why did I choke on it????

I am not into top brand cigars and many many years ago like the 50's I would get a few House Of Windsor's for a buck apiece and that was expensive back then. They were mild and I am sure I could inhale a puff or two?

I am a reg smoker so I am use to inhaling but learning real fast that you don't want to do that unless you like coughing and maybe laying down with the premium brands.

I had ordered the special from here that came with the humidor and the cigars. The second one I tried was the Joya De Nicaragua Antano and not thinking I did inhale it and it was smooth. And no I didn't do that every puff.

I told a good friend of mine how good it was and that it was mild enough to inhale if one wanted. He orders from lots of places and he was placing an order from Cigar Int so he ordered a five pack to try them out. He came by and brought me one. The only difference was it was longer but same name. Well I didn't think anything about it and I inhaled some. Well it was a few hrs before I lite it back up and finished it but no more inhale for me.

So why was it so harsh and the one from here so mild???

Comments

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Duke.
    It could be a couple of reasons like, The cigar's condition (humidity, age, vitola) or possibly the way you lit the cigar (scorched the Tobacco) or even the way you smoked it. Too fast = too hot. My $.02
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    It's very surprising that you call the Joya De Nicaragua Antono "smooth." For me, it's one the strongest, full-bodied cigars I've ever had--anything but mild. It was also my favorite cigar of all those I tried in my first intro sampler.

That said, I have noticed a huge difference in experience between individual Joya De Nicaraguas. The second one I smoked was a pale shadow of the first one--tasteless, papery, no spice at all. The third one was great. I recently one that had been aging for about a year and found it less enthralling than the original. Maybe it's a quality control issue; maybe it's just the quality of the tobacco from year to year; maybe it's the fact it look like Drew Estate owns it now and may be tampering with it. Who knows?

One thing I do know--I never inhale at all. One of the main attractions for cigars for me is that because you puff then and don't inhale it's less likely that you'll get the same kinds of cancers and lung diseases you get from cigarettes.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Don't inhale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the draw was looser and you just got more concentrated smoke with less effort on your second cigar of that same type. These things are really bad for ya' to be inhaling. But you knew that right? Well, anything other that oxygen is bad for ya' I guess.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Several possibilities here. I would guess that since you had already inhaled with the other one you were paying less attention and inhaled more with the second. It was longer, and so there was more tobacco. I know of a few on here who do inhale or at least did for a while, I would never do that. Not only because of the vitamin N but because it does affect flavor. If you don't think so stop for a while and you should notice a change.
  • Options
    duke46duke46 Posts: 4
    Well guys I am 67 and have been smoking from age 12 and inhaling. It is a habit and did it smoking a pipe also. I can go buy a Phillies or like cigar and inhale them if I want. I do like a hit every now and then.
    My friend gave me two of them and I just finished the second one and didn't even try to inhale it but took a breath at the wrong time and it tried to get me???
    So I guess the best way to settle this is to order 5 I guess from here and see what happens.
    Like I had said the one that I received through here was a shorter one and the ones he gave me are longer. Now to make my best guess and try to get the same on they had sent in the special.
    All the ones in the special were wrapped and the ones he bought were not. Not knowing anything about how they are packaged except in a resealable bag I don't know. You guys do but not me.
    Thanks for your input. And there is not but 10,000 + cigars to pick from and I am retired and do not have a bunch of money to to spend on things like this but I do like a good tasting cigar when I can get one as with you.
    if you have a good suggestion on one that won't choke me when I decide I want to inhale then pass it on.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do want to inhale, id go with a milder smoke like an Avo. Jdn's slogan is "strong as balls" so id suspect that inhaling the first time may have been an exception. My buddy who smokes cigarettes accidently inhaled some (a xikar hc maduro) and felt like he got kicked in the chest. He does have a better time inhaling a little from 3x3's (kelner seconds, same blender as Avos).

other than that, I cannot recommend anything else even for an occasional inhale since I do not inhale. I am not sure what makes one cigar easier to inhale than another. I would however bet that phillies and other "cheap" cigars are easier to inhale because they are a lot more like cigarettes; short filler, paper wrapper, less taste and punch to them.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the Avo. As a full time smoker and any of you that were and did give up the cigarettes then you found out things started tasting better from what I have been told. It is like I am not tasting what I should and the only way to get any satisfaction is to inhale at least a puff or two and that could bring you to your knees with a real premium cigar. I am better off just buying the cheap brands and maybe smoke one every now and then like I have been doing. If I can't enjoy a good $2 to $8 cigar then why spend the money and don't really get the satisfaction that you guys get. It is sad but true it looks like.
    I still can't understand why the one was mild and then the others no way the same just like they were another one altogether? From what you guys have told me even the first one should not have been that great. I would keep the label off each of the cigar's and write a note and on that one I wrote mild and can inhale an A+A+ on it. Can I luck up and order it from here where it came from and it be the same or by some crazy chance was it labeled wrong? Things can happen I guess. Does the company that makes it make other brands? Like my dad told me many years ago. He was a manager of a JC Penny store. He said if JCP ordered 2000 pr of jeans size 32x34 and the maker could not supply quick enough they would change the size labels to meet the order and to always try them on first or measure them. Just take your measuring tape in and check for yourself. I would always do that first and then go try them on. Two or three out of four might be correct and one be an inch of or more.

Thanks a bunch guys and I might try the Avo and it that does not work for me I just give it up and save my bucks.
    Dag what Avo do I try? There are a lot of them????

Thanks
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    That's what she said.......
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    duke46:
    Thanks for the info on the Avo. As a full time smoker and any of you that were and did give up the cigarettes then you found out things started tasting better from what I have been told. It is like I am not tasting what I should and the only way to get any satisfaction is to inhale at least a puff or two and that could bring you to your knees with a real premium cigar. I am better off just buying the cheap brands and maybe smoke one every now and then like I have been doing. If I can't enjoy a good $2 to $8 cigar then why spend the money and don't really get the satisfaction that you guys get. It is sad but true it looks like. I still can't understand why the one was mild and then the others no way the same just like they were another one altogether? From what you guys have told me even the first one should not have been that great. I would keep the label off each of the cigar's and write a note and on that one I wrote mild and can inhale an A+A+ on it. Can I luck up and order it from here where it came from and it be the same or by some crazy chance was it labeled wrong? Things can happen I guess. Does the company that makes it make other brands? Like my dad told me many years ago. He was a manager of a JC Penny store. He said if JCP ordered 2000 pr of jeans size 32x34 and the maker could not supply quick enough they would change the size labels to meet the order and to always try them on first or measure them. Just take your measuring tape in and check for yourself. I would always do that first and then go try them on. Two or three out of four might be correct and one be an inch of or more. Thanks a bunch guys and I might try the Avo and it that does not work for me I just give it up and save my bucks. Dag what Avo do I try? There are a lot of them???? Thanks
    The only thing that might be a difference is that the first one you smoked had some age on it. Age will mellow it some, but I really don't think it would have had enough age on it to make the kind of difference you are indicating. It could also have been that you had a big meal before the first? High carbs will help reduce the overall Nic. hit.

The cigar was most likely not mislabeled. They are hand made but a mistake like that would be very rare.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭

lol, well I for one applaud you on inhaling cigars, that I cannot do nor have I met anyone would could. That is bad ass!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    btw welcome!
  • Options
    No meal no food of any type. I liked to leave my shop 200 feet away and go grab a beer and set on our carport and smoke my Cigar. 1 cigar and 2 beers and then time to go in the house and get ready to get supper ready for the boss lady when she gets in from work.
    My shop so I do as I please and I get things ready to powder coat or whatever else I need to do so I smoke cigarettes all day and the beer and the cigar is my break at the end of the day or was.