Home Ratings & Reviews

Fonseca Arana? Any thoughts so far?

Hey guys,

thinking about a bundle in my next order. they sound right up my alley, so I wanted to see if anyone's had any yet and what their thoughts were.

thanks

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I thought it was decent for an inexpensive cigar. I tried a toro, and if I were to buy more it would be a smaller size, I think they make it in a corona.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I thought it was a decent stick, "The Beard" gifted a couple to me a few months back. The flavor profile had spice and a little pepper, earthy, cedary with a touch of cinnamon. I also picked up a crisp tobacco flavor and a toasty finish. I tried the toro. I think it is an above average, nicely priced everyday smoke.
    boydmcgowan:
    Hey guys,

thinking about a bundle in my next order. they sound right up my alley, so I wanted to see if anyone's had any yet and what their thoughts were.

thanks
    Didn't even think of it before, but if you want to try a couple shoot me your info and I'll send you some.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Fonseca is a brand that i just dont like. the blending style they have is not at all what i look for.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    j0z3r:
    boydmcgowan:
    Hey guys,

thanks
    Didn't even think of it before, but if you want to try a couple shoot me your info and I'll send you some.
    Awesome man, I appreciate it. PM to you.
    ShotgunJohn:
    I thought it was a decent stick, "The Beard" gifted a couple to me a few months back. The flavor profile had spice and a little pepper, earthy, cedary with a touch of cinnamon. I also picked up a crisp tobacco flavor and a toasty finish. I tried the toro. I think it is an above average, nicely priced everyday smoke.

Right on, sounds good, Definitely sounds like a stick I'd be into when I just want to relax and space out and not think too much about the cigar I'm smoking.

j0z3r:
    I thought it was decent for an inexpensive cigar. I tried a toro, and if I were to buy more it would be a smaller size, I think they make it in a corona.

I was def thinking about the corona. partially b/c the budget is tapped, but partially becuase I just have this feeling that budget cigars taste better in smaller ring guages. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

You too Kuzi, I don't think I've ever had a fonseca, or an urge to ever try one, until this one. It just looked good. Also one of my early favorite cigars was the CAO Criollo, and I'm bummed we don't have more cigars that utilize that tobacco. I rewatched the Ccom video where they talk about this one, and its just been on my mind. A Criollo Binder and a real dark habano wrapper with some probably mild dominican filler, just sounds tasty.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know when you've tried one of these, at the price offered it would certainly become a regular for me if it's any good.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    So, Joe sent me 3 Arana toros. I had one on Saturday night, but it was my second cigar of the night so I'm holding off any judgement till I smoke the other two on a fresher palate.

That being said, its definitely a mild and super smooth cigar that was nice but I wanted more flavor out of it. That could have been becuase it was my second cigar of the night though.

The write up on Ccom talks about the aged Cuban-seed Dominican filler with a Criollo binder, and Habano wrapper with spicy, nutty and earthy flavors. I Definitely didn't get any spice out of it, but it did have a nice sweet, warm, earthy vibe to it. So I enjoyed smoking it, but I do want to get through the other two before making up my mind on it. I would imagine the skinnier the better for this blend though, to squeeze the most flavor out of the binder and wrapper as you can.
    Sounds like a fair assessment Boyd. I did get some of the spice, but not a lot and I felt wanting for a little something more when I had finished the cigar. To me it was barely medium strength. I'm going to smoke a couple more myself before I make any judgments too, so far it's a decent budget stick.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Sounds like a fair assessment Boyd. I did get some of the spice, but not a lot and I felt wanting for a little something more when I had finished the cigar. To me it was barely medium strength. I'm going to smoke a couple more myself before I make any judgments too, so far it's a decent budget stick.
    Hmm, this is kind of how I felt about the Blue Label B-2, I enjoyed it while smoking it, and when I was done, I wanted a cigar.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigfnsteve sent me one of these bigfnsmokes... a gordo Here's my noobfnreview:

What a magnificent cigar. You can skip the rest if you want.

A cigar this impressive deserves a name. I would name it Colin Powell, because it has gravamen. Weight, calm intelligence, dignity, wise behavior, admirable conduct. You can skip the rest if you want.

Pre-light you notice the ample 6x60 size of course. A natural dark wrapper with beautiful veins and marbling, and a slight oil. It feels solid. Perfect construction. Tastes like salty leather. Uncaps easily Easy draw. The pre-draw puff is all cashews. I have read about cashew flavor in a cigar, but this is the first time I noticed it.

It took three matches to light this beast. Here, I wish I owned a big torch. Thought I had it lit right; but the sequel proved me wrong, because one side refused to burn for the first half hour before it evened itself out. I got a tremendous volume of smoke. The flavor became like an old leather bound book, the cream colored kind. The flavor was consistent, but got stronger in the middle. Never turned bitter when I ashed. Filled the room with a very pleasant aroma. Cold leftover merlot made a great accompaniment. Never overpowering, but always flavorful. An hour and a quarter in, with about three and a half inches left, the thing got soggy and put itself out. I think you'd need a mouth the size of Joey Brown to adequately puff a monster like this. I let it rest for twenty minutes. Went round the house on errands. The attic fan had drawn the aroma throughout the place. Very pleasing. You know how a barbecue guy sets up his trailer outside a high school football field taking careful note which way the wind blows so as to famish his customers in the stands? Well, if you wanted to waft an odor out the door of a cigar lounge to famish guys for a smoke so they would have to come in, this would be it. "Here, you go to the boutiques without me, Hon. Here's the credit card. Have fun. I have to stop here." Twenty minutes later, I lit up the rest, and it smoked another half hour just as well as the first. I think a smaller ring gauge would make this an ideal smoke. Increase the wrapper to filler and make it easier to light right.

I was left with a wonderful stinkfinger which smelled to me like puppy breath. Morning mouth was real harsh until I brushed and showered. After that, made me look forward to coffee. The wheeze is very pleasant too. And the house still has a linering aroma. You wonder how it manages to not go stale.

Gravamen and good manners. I give this a four and a half stars. If I had it in a robusto, I think it would rate five stars.

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! I just looked these beasts up on cigar.com and I see where they are selling a mazo of 20 robustos for 35 bucks! Toros are just 40 skins! What the heck are these guys thinking? I may have to clean their stock out of these gems.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Holy Necrothread batman. hahaha. Always weird to see your name pop up on a thread from over a year ago.

Good review by the way.
    Of all the secrets I have learnt at the foot of Master Kuzi, the most important was SLOW DOWN. Take a hit. Set it down. Go back a minute or two later. Slow down. This trick is essential to successfully savoring a superb succulent sotweed cylinder, and Fonseca Arana Robusto is why.

(Alliteration anyone?)

I scored a bundle of these to include among my Four Smoketeers. This may turn out to be the first Smoketeer which will have to be replenished. Can't stay off 'em. I was correct back in June when I reckoned that the robusto would be the right size for this. I don't have to yawn to get it in, there's a better balance between wrapper and filler, it's easier to light, and it's easier to live with.

Most importantly, if you hit this thing too often, you don't get that creamy soft replete with flavor can't see through it smoke. This thing has a completely different and way harsher profile when hit too hard. It wants to be babied, nurtured, and loved.

Nope. Hard to find a better bundle of flavor for the bucks. Fonseca Arana. Tellin ya. To da nub.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Love em especially the Robusto
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Glad some of you like them.
    I may have received a bad bundle of Toros, but...

1. After resting a week, the first one was terrible. Using the term "harsh" is being kind. Smelled like burning rubber.
    2. Another week resting and I fired up the second one. Ammonia best describes it.
    3. I donated the rest to the Combat Cigar Lounge and even the Soldiers commented on how bad they were.

Never again.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    This reminds me I need to order a bundle.
    True Sleeper.

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    True Sleeper.

let me um (cough cough) get a few of those!!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    smoke em if you got em:
    stephen_hannibal:
    True Sleeper.

I'll hook yo up sir.

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    smoke em if you got em:
    stephen_hannibal:
    True Sleeper.

I'll hook yo up sir.

Tanks Bra
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I'd dig up this old thread after I had one of these yesterday. First of all it was a great smoke FOR ME. I capitalized FOR ME because it's obvious that everyone's preferences on cigars are different.

But one thing I'd like to point out is that the cigar I smoked yesterday was not the same cigar I bought 4 or 5 months ago. I smoked a couple of them back then after they had had a few weeks rest in my cooler and I was not that impressed. Not badly turned off but, just not impressed.

Yesterday I just fired it up literally as a yard-gar while I was finishing up some outdoor painting but eventually I sat down and popped open a beer and ended up smoking it to the nub. (Which I don't often do.)

I'll definitely be getting some more bundles in different vitolas and I'll be sure to give them 3 or 4 months rest.
    Love the livin crap outta them. On my third bundle; due to order another bundle. Burnt one night before last. Always top notch. Smoke each one slowly. Give them away frequently.

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Thought I'd dig up this old thread after I had one of these yesterday. First of all it was a great smoke FOR ME. I capitalized FOR ME because it's obvious that everyone's preferences on cigars are different.

But one thing I'd like to point out is that the cigar I smoked yesterday was not the same cigar I bought 4 or 5 months ago. I smoked a couple of them back then after they had had a few weeks rest in my cooler and I was not that impressed. Not badly turned off but, just not impressed.

Yesterday I just fired it up literally as a yard-gar while I was finishing up some outdoor painting but eventually I sat down and popped open a beer and ended up smoking it to the nub. (Which I don't often do.)

I'll definitely be getting some more bundles in different vitolas and I'll be sure to give them 3 or 4 months rest.
    Agree completely. I bought a 5-ver of coronas a while back. Had one after just a few weeks of rest and was not impressed at all. Forgot about them then tried another one several months later, also as a yard gar because I wasn't expecting much, but ended up really enjoying it.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    Bob Luken:

Agree completely. I bought a 5-ver of coronas a while back. Had one after just a few weeks of rest and was not impressed at all. Forgot about them then tried another one several months later, also as a yard gar because I wasn't expecting much, but ended up really enjoying it.
    Webby turned me on to these beauties a while back. I've been meaning to pick up a bundle of coronas for some time now. Might have to shoot Tim B an email this weekend.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I like em. Haven't smoked one in a while, but I used to smoke a lot of the coronas.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a bundle of these a few months back, Royln said he was wanting to try them out so I smoked 1 and sent him some. Not bad smoke at all for the price, I think they needed a little rest though. I will go back to 1 in a few months and see the difference.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had another one last night and gave one to a friend and we both had some very uneven burns and they were hard to keep lit at all. Flavor wise they were still OK but not great. Maybe it was the time of day that was different. These just didn't impress me like the one I smoked in the late afternoon with no drink. (I did have a beer the other day during the last 1/3rd.) Last night we were sipping Jim Beam and the cigar just wasn't making a good impression. Maybe they are just a great late afternoon stick and that's all. Maybe they aren't something I should be smoking after dinner with Bourbon.