Home Cigar 101
Options

New Cutter

Comments

• Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I've heard really good things about those scissors. They are reportedly working on a cutter with the three bladed action like that, but with an in your hand guillotine style mechanism rather than turning it with the scissors. It's gonna be awesome. It'll be like holding the effin tri-force up to your cigar.
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I can't wait to try them out! You all got me triple maduro psyched for my first official "well-cut" cigar.
    I will post my findings here upon first use... the more I think about it, I may bust out my OpusX :-)
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    those are freakin sweet lookin. three blades. all metal. trusted name. lifetime guarantee...
    if the price is right, i dont see how it can be wrong.
    i got in the mail today an Xi2. so...im a bit excited about that.

bloodstone. for those who wanted to know.
    Can you PM me where you got this?
  • Options
    rad1964:
    I have been using my VERY sharp kitchen knives for the last few months, but as some of you will assume, yes, I had some small issues, although nothing that couldn't be smoked. I am now understanding the significance of the 'clean' cut.[spits out the cap pieces]

So I did some late night shopping and found this on ebay and bought it. Anything has got to be better then my knives lol.

Anyone have any experience using this?
    I think it looked cool and sharp my 2 criteria :)

These look AWE - Diddly - AWESOME - Youve got me Flandersed looking at these! Wehre did you pick these up and how much?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Can you PM me
    PM sent
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I am looking for a new cutter myself. I had a CCOM double guillotine that I got with one of their Friday deals last year but haven't been able to find it since I went golfing about a month ago. It and my lighter that came with the same deal are both MIA. I want an Xi3 but can't bring myself to spend the money.
  • Options
    Check your bag! Ha!

Im with you about spending the $ on a cutter. Every time I come around I say hmm I could buy X cigars with that money.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I had a few cheapies then switched to a xikar punch and now after misplacing my punch have evolved to palio ........ its awesome and extremely sharp and can handle any cigar you put in it. Its also a very ergonomic cutter. Link http://www.paliocutters.com/
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I grabbed a Xikar II recently on a suggestion from Jeff.

I couldn't be happier with it. Very sharp, great ergonomic design and a lifetime gaurantee. I LIKE IT !
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Check your bag! Ha!

Im with you about spending the $ on a cutter. Every time I come around I say hmm I could buy X cigars with that money.
    I did, it wasn't there. It's got to be around the house somewhere. If not, then chances are it was left in the cart and someone got a lighter and cutter for free. :(
    The cutter was no big deal but I really liked the lighter. It was adual flame from CCOM, made by Colibri I think. Nothing special but it worked great.
  • Options
    laker1963:

I couldn't be happier with it. Very sharp, great ergonomic design and a lifetime gaurantee. I LIKE IT !
    I may get an Xi2. I just prefer the all metal Xi or the wood handles of the Xi3 but functionally they are all the same.
  • Options
    rdnstn:
    laker1963:

I may get an Xi2. I just prefer the all metal Xi or the wood handles of the Xi3 but functionally they are all the same.
    I just checked and I thought that mine was an Xikar II but when I checked them out (Xikar II's) they are not the metal ones at all. So I guess I have the XikarI?Mine is the black aluminium bodied one. It is a GREAT cutter.
    I guess I just assumed they got better as new generations came out, so therefore thought I had the second gen. not the first.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    laker1963:
    rdnstn:
    laker1963:

I just checked and I thought that mine was an Xikar II but when I checked them out they are not the metal ones at all. So I guess I have the XikarI?Mine is the black aluminium bodied one. It is a GREAT cutter.
    I guess I just assumed they got better as new generations came out, so therefore thought I had the second gen. not the first.
    Laker, I'm pretty sure you have the Xi2. I have them as well, and these are the fiberglass handled ones. I'm pretty sure the Xi and Xi3 are the all metal ones.
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    laker1963:
    rdnstn:
    laker1963:

I just checked and I thought that mine was an Xikar II but when I checked them out they are not the metal ones at all. So I guess I have the XikarI?Mine is the black aluminium bodied one. It is a GREAT cutter.
    Laker, I'm pretty sure you have the Xi2. I have them as well, and these are the fiberglass handled ones. I'm pretty sure the Xi and Xi3 are the all metal ones.
    No, I checked again and mine are the Black Body Aluminium Xi. I just assumed the Xikar 1's were the cheapest hence made of plastic or fibreglass of some kind, but I was wrong both about the number 1's being plastic and about which cutter I had.
  • Options
    i have the Xi2 and it is not plastic at all. its fiberglass. it feels much stronger than plastic. they may be the least expensive of the three, but they are not "cheap"

the Xi3 is the wood.
    the Xi1 is metal. colored or otherwise.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i have the Xi2 and it is not plastic at all. its fiberglass. it feels much stronger than plastic. they may be the least expensive of the three, but they are not "cheap"

the Xi3 is the wood.
    the Xi1 is metal. colored or otherwise.
    Kuzi, sorry 'bout the terminology there bro'.
    In my earlier post regarding these cutters I did refer to them as Fibreglass as a possible constuction material, I was NOT saying they were cheaply made.
    I was just cutting (LOL) corners there with that last post and shortened it off after plastic. I absolutely know that these are NOT cheap. They are a great little cutter, these xikars. I can't really figure out why there is so much difference in the prices of the three. I mean $20 more for metal over plastic sides, and another $20 above that to get wood sides!
    The only reason I went with the Aluminium was because I thought that the cutter would look better after a long period of time, because I will drop this thing several hundred times over the course of its life, LOL.
  • Options
    i didnt think you were calling them cheap at all.

i was assuring any prospective buyers that they are "inexpensive" rather than "cheap"

i also wanted to assure people that they are not plastic because there is often times confusion on what the material is. in Xikar's words: "Nylon fiberglass composite"

i cant figure out the price difference either. the only one i can justify costing so much more is the mammoth tusk one. you would think that the wood one would be less expensive than the metal one or the one with the rubber sides. maybe im just not undertanding the process that they produce these things.
  • Options
    My quickie review for the Cuban Crafters Scissors.

Very nice to use, since I am a newb when it comes to scissors, cutters, punches etc.. please take this review with a grain of salt :)

I liked them, they are impressive to look at. My first cut was on a 5 Vegas Miami, and it seemed to leave a slight bump in the center of the cigar. I thought to myself, I must not have snipped fast enough. My next one was on a Veredero. I tried to cut faster. I was outside at night and believe there was still a small center tobacco pinch that the scissors left.

Brings me to the night before last. I finally broke out the Opus X Perfexcion. Strong! The scissors worked beautifully. Maybe someone else can report about the pinching effect.

Robert

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    rad1964:
    My quickie review for the Cuban Crafters Scissors.

Very nice to use, since I am a newb when it comes to scissors, cutters, punches etc.. please take this review with a grain of salt :)

I liked them, they are impressive to look at. My first cut was on a 5 Vegas Miami, and it seemed to leave a slight bump in the center of the cigar. I thought to myself, I must not have snipped fast enough. My next one was on a Veredero. I tried to cut faster. I was outside at night and believe there was still a small center tobacco pinch that the scissors left.

Brings me to the night before last. I finally broke out the Opus X Perfexcion. Strong! The scissors worked beautifully. Maybe someone else can report about the pinching effect.

Robert

I was awe-struck with those cutters when you posted them, so I also picked up a pair...

I will most likely have a cigar tomorrow and we'll see what happens!
  • Options
    rad1964:
    . Maybe someone else can report about the pinching effect.
    you will get similar results from many double guillotine cutters. instead of a little bump in the middle of the cigar it will produce a ridge. this is due to the fact the there is a tiny amount of space between the blades. they may look like they are touching, but they have an amount of play that is so small you cannot detect it with your eyes. the closest i have seen to not having this at all is from a Xikar cutter. its still there but very small.

the Cuban Crafters Scissors that you have probably have a very small amount of play in them but this is almost unavoidable. if you can live with it, then its all good. if you cant live with it... buy a punch.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    would that mean that single guillotine is best for a flat cut? I always wondered what the benefit is of a double guillotine over a single. So long as the single is sharp anyway.
  • Options
    for a flat cut yes.... but also for a better chance of damaging your cigar.
  • Options
    Yes, but won't any dull cutter smash the cigar? Comparing a sharp single to a sharp double.....whats the difference/preferrence?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    Yes, but won't any dull cutter smash the cigar? Comparing a sharp single to a sharp double.....whats the difference/preferrence?
    It's all about surface area... while the single blade may be sharp, the dull plastic side on the other side will be crushed. Even if the blade is razor sharp there is too much surface tension.

The goal of a double blade with their curved blades is to relieve surface tension and create a cut that doesn't put the cigar through so much stress and potentially ruining your cap and having your cigar unravel.
    Most single blades will tend to either distort your head or unravel your cigar...
  • Options
    Thanks. Great point
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    see if you can use a v-cut first. some people actually dont like this type of cut at all.

otherwise i go with a punch whenever i can.

I think he meant 'punch Vs. cutter', not necessarily a V-cutter. "Course, I've been wrong before. Why, I remember a time, back in '59 I think it was......

Marty

• Options
    Cuban Crafters Scissors ... they are certainly growing on me. I had the chance to use it two more times and as long as you 'snip' fast, the tiny raised area in the center does not bother me, nor is really as noticable as I thought when I had used a slower snipping approach.

Bottom line is snip fast and puff surely. You can quote me on that.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    The xi3 retails for $195 in my country, Great Brittan.:o
  • Options
    sol1821:
    The ones and two's do the exact same job... for a lot less money. I'm just sayin'...
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

laker1963:
    sol1821:
    The ones and two's do the exact same job... for a lot less money. I'm just sayin'...

yer i know just saying how you guys in the states have got it good.

Xi1 is $95

Xi2 is $50