Home General Discussion
Options

Coolidor Project

2»

Comments

• Options
    biodarwin:
    mr.wendell1979:
    And the Colts came out victorious! Go Colts!!!
    This is what I am talking about! The Colts have turned into a beastily 2nd half team. Now if they can get the 1/2 half figured out we will be good to go!!! :)

Agreed 100%... They'll get there.
  • Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Everything has been stable so far. I added 10-15 cigars and a box of MoW 52c Side projects, I am rethinking the kitty litter idea. I mean, I am keeping it as it is a good buffering agent. It is the same idea as a smoker(cooking) which has a large pan of water. The water is not the source of the heat, but helps to buffer the temps if you open up the pit. I will probably remove the small bag and go with a Boveda packet. I would imagine they would last for a while with an additional buffering agent.
  • Options
    Still rocking and rolling. If I open the coolidor it drops to 63% so I keep these small thin pieces of cedar you see in the picture. I take this and soak it in water for a min or so. Dry off the excess and place in when I close. This stabilizes things and brings it back to 65% each time without fail. All in all I am really happy with it so far!
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    cool project. thanks for sharing
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    I decided to get my first couple boxes of smokes and I am sick of the cigars which I am letting rest for an extend period of time taking up room in my desktop humidor so I decided to build a coolidor. I spent an hour so researching and going through coolidor threads. I opted to go with 48 qt cooler which I was able to get from amazon for fairly cheap. I will be using this thread to track my build with both short term and long term goals.

Short term goals
    Build a cost effective stable environment for box and single cigar storage storage
    Provide stability for longer term storage ( doesn't get opened as much, still keeping my desktop)
    Provide better organization by storing similar cigars together (by wrapper?)

All of these goals were easily met. Once I realized how much more stable the coolidor was than my small desktop I ended up gifting it to a friend I smoke with from time to time. I ended up storing the cigars by size. This is typically the first step in picking a stick. How much time do I have and how busy will I be?

biodarwin:
    Long term goals

Computerized module which will track temp and humidity in multiple areas
    Network enabled for online tracking of statistics
    Time triggered fans for occasional air flow

I have a rough prototype running right now using a Rasberry Pi controller, some sensors, and a small DC fan to circulate the air and stabilize humidity. I will start a thread once I actually install it.

Here are a few updated pictures of the coolidor:

image image image
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope dredging up this post helps the Colts today! Taking my son to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game today. If he didn't like football, I'd be at the cigar lounge smoking. This will be better.

Nice cooler. The networked environmental monitor is a neat idea, but I'm curious if it will be worth it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    This is a good reference, I plan on doing this very soon.
  • Options
    Martel:
    I hope dredging up this post helps the Colts today! Taking my son to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game today. If he didn't like football, I'd be at the cigar lounge smoking. This will be better.

Nice cooler. The networked environmental monitor is a neat idea, but I'm curious if it will be worth it.
    I do as well! North MS? Are a transplant like myself?
  • Options
    Rain:
    'I keep going back and forth on the configuration. I am mostly set with the shelves. A box from a MoW Side project 52c was perfect for tearing apart for the shelving.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    'I keep going back and forth on the configuration. I am mostly set with the shelves. A box from a MoW Side project 52c was perfect for tearing apart for the shelving.
    I'm specifically interested in you DC fan. Is it on a timer? Tell me everything. LOL
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I'm specifically interested in you DC fan. Is it on a timer? Tell me everything. LOL

Yes, it is. Right now I have it fire up for 15 seconds every 30 minutes via a script which runs from cron on the Raspberry Pi. I have a similar setup for my beer ferminting chambe, but based on a temp prober. After I built it, I had the inspiration to finish the setup for the cooler. I might get a bigger cooler before I proceed . I have also been looking at adding a small light which will turn on when I open the lid.
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    Martel:

I do as well! North MS? Are a transplant like myself?
    Yup. From Greenwood area. Moved down here about 4.5 years ago.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    Bob Luken:

Yes, it is. Right now I have it fire up for 15 seconds every 30 minutes via a script which runs from cron on the Raspberry Pi. I have a similar setup for my beer ferminting chambe, but based on a temp prober. After I built it, I had the inspiration to finish the setup for the cooler. I might get a bigger cooler before I proceed . I have also been looking at adding a small light which will turn on when I open the lid.
    Cool. But you lost be at "via a script" LOL. But I caught back up where you said "a small light which will turn on when I open the lid". Cool!
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    biodarwin:
    Bob Luken:

Cool. But you lost be at "via a script" LOL. But I caught back up where you said "a small light which will turn on when I open the lid". Cool!
    Nice! Like a fridge!

You know, we have to keep this thread active until the playoffs are done, now, right? After that comeback?

• Options
    Can you guys write ESPN and tell them that Indy won despite Andrew, no because of him???
  • Options
    Martel:
    Yup. From Greenwood area. Moved down here about 4.5 years ago.
    Right on, I am originally from New Castle, just east of Indy.
  • Options
    Martel:
    You know, we have to keep this thread active until the playoffs are done, now, right? After that comeback?
    Pretty much mandatory at this point. I was so close to switching to drinking mode and then BAM!!!!
  • Options
    Rain:
    Can you guys write ESPN and tell them that Indy won despite Andrew, no because of him???
    I think his 400+ yards passing helped. Not too mention his 3rd down runs. Sure, he made some mistakes, but he didn't let it shake him. That 60 yard bomb to TY at the end was impressive.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Just finished my new coolidor for now. It's much smaller but damn am I happy to see it maintaining humidity with cigars. Just wanted to say cool use of the Raspberry Pi! I'm using one as the main hardware of a new AUV we're developing in my lab.
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    Martel:
    Pretty much mandatory at this point. I was so close to switching to drinking mode and then BAM!!!!
    This...was using BWW gift cards with my son. I thought "may as well use em now!"

• Options
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    I think his 400+ yards passing helped. Not too mention his 3rd down runs. Sure, he made some mistakes, but he didn't let it shake him. That 60 yard bomb to TY at the end was impressive.
    And this.. TY was awesome. Luck had mistakes but didn't get rattled and played some heads up ball.

• Options
    Poor Alex Smith...378 pass yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs and 57 rush yards.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Poor Alex Smith...378 pass yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs and 57 rush yards.
    And hit by Robert Mathis a couple of times. And that intentional grounding. And losing his best weapon(s). He played a great game overall. Still, I don't feel TOO sorry for him.

• Options
    biodarwin:
    Bob Luken:

Curious if you've done any work on it this week?

Okay, not really. I just felt the thread needed a bump today.

Go Horse!

• Options
    Martel:

Go Horse!
    I like your style sir! I have ordered the dual temp and rf sensors but that is about it. I switched from the Raspberry Pi to Ardunio. The ardunio has 5v where as the Pi is 3v. I was off all week from work with the flu. Never had it before, never want it again. Coincidence that I recovered in time for playoffs? I think not. Unfortunately tho, my lungs still feel beat up so no cigars for me :(
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    Martel:

Go Horse!
    I like your style sir! I have ordered the dual temp and rf sensors but that is about it. I switched from the Raspberry Pi to Ardunio. The ardunio has 5v where as the Pi is 3v. I was off all week from work with the flu. Never had it before, never want it again. Coincidence that I recovered in time for playoffs? I think not. Unfortunately tho, my lungs still feel beat up so no cigars for me :(
    I looked at an arduino kit around Christmas. I've always been fascinated by electronics and computer hardware projects, but never got into them much. Yet another hobby that would cost me too much money. If I spent money on that my wife would probably make me cut out the beer budget.

Glad you're feeling better. Just recovered myself. Thinking of hitting the cigar bar tonight for the game, but not sure about it. It's been a long week so I might just curl up at home.

• Options
    chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    I was wanting to revive this thread and find out the current status of peoples HumiPi's and HumDuino's??? I have a bunch of different Arduinos coming to me soon, some of them very small, so I figured it might be neat to work on this. Get some small wireless battery operated ones for things as simple as just monitoring, and then possibly eventually going full blown with full temp and humidity control for a cooler or for those of you with the nice cabinets.

Please PM me if you are interested in this or if you are currently using a Pi or Arduino in this capacity!
  • Options
    chrislolds:
    I was wanting to revive this thread and find out the current status of peoples HumiPi's and HumDuino's??? I have a bunch of different Arduinos coming to me soon, some of them very small, so I figured it might be neat to work on this. Get some small wireless battery operated ones for things as simple as just monitoring, and then possibly eventually going full blown with full temp and humidity control for a cooler or for those of you with the nice cabinets.

Please PM me if you are interested in this or if you are currently using a Pi or Arduino in this capacity!
    I'm clueless as to how this all works but I'm interested. Someday I'd like to try a dc fan setup inside a cooler.