• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    1/27/2014
    Avo Lounge Edition Toro (6x50)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican Olor, Piloto Cubano, and San Vicente
    Blender: Hendrik Kelner

The Avo lounge is not like other Avo Limited Edition cigars. Avo's other LEs are released on an annual basis only. The Avo Lounge is a regular production LE. This may seem like a contradiction in terms but it is not. This cigar is only available in the handful of official Avo Lounges worldwide, year round, making it the rarest of all Avo Limited Editions.

The first Avo Lounge opened in January of 2003 in Aarau, Switzerland. The design, atmosphere and overall concept were created by Avo Uvazian and shop owner Otto Fischer with the express intent on being able to recreate it in other locations. Some of the reoccurring themes are, Style, relaxation and Avo's vision of “cigars and music” sharing the same space. The logo for the lounge itself is simply the standard Avo logo but with a pale blue background. This design element is mirrored in the band of the Avo Lounge edition cigar.

This particular Avo Lounge Cigar was purchased, and smoked, at the Havana House West Avo Lounge in Bath Ohio. This is One of Six Avo Lounges in the US (including Puerto Rico). Seek this place out. Seriously.

The Avo lounge has a medium brown wrapper that is a bit more rustic and a bit less seamless than expected. It feels a bit rough to the touch. Through all of this, the construction still looks wonderful.

The band comes off with ease. The smell unlit is woody and delicate. The lick on the cap is near flavorless with just a hint of spice. A clip with a double guillotine lets a wonderfully easy draw with flavors of leather and licorice.

light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are delicate and musky. This musk has a very earthy undertone to it. The musk is in the initial flavors and the retrohale, unlike most Kelner blends that have it mostly through the nose. There is a hint at spice that lingers but is very soft. The flavors coat the mouth and there is a thick texture to the smoke. It is unbelievably smooth. The the end of the beginning third the flavors have surprisingly, rounded out. This is surprising because it was round to begin with. However, it is also surprising because usually the “rounding out” of a cigar is on the “low” or earthy end. However, this is on the “high” or woody end.

The middle third is decidedly cedar. It retains the smooth and mouth coating texture. Through the nose there is still a great musk that has become a bit sweeter. The spice has picked up but it is not really a spice. It is more of an intense cedar especially as the smoke is held in the mouth. The flavor is very intense and round but the body is not felt. The finish is more of the musk and a bit of the cedar. It is balanced, and interesting. There is a complexity in each puff and a complexity, so far, over the length of the cigar. The only thing that hints at negative is the length of the finish, with is much too long. Not only is the the finish too long, but it is that sharp cedar... that fades to a strange leather.

The final third the sharp cedar in the initial flavor turns more into a white pepper style spice. It is still incredibly balanced and not overpowering. The body is medium at best. All the heavy flavors stick around in the final third and some of the refinement is lost. The only “delicate” part of the beginning two thirds that hangs out for the final third is the retrohale. It is almost unchanging throughout the cigar and retains much of the musk that is the signature of many of Kelner blends. This is the most enjoyable aspect of the cigar so this is a decidedly good thing.

The Avo Lounge ends like this and has burned for 1 hour and 50 minutes when it dies peacefully in the Avo Lounge ashtray at the nub.

burn: 10
    draw: 9
    taste: 10
    aftertaste: 8
    construction: 10
    balance: 10
    feel: 9

overall: 9.4

This cigar is an interesting bit of blending. Avo does have a blending style and it is generally the same blending style as all Kelner blends. If only to compared to the Avo line it would be as if the Avo Domaine and the Avo XO had a medium bodied love-child. It is still unique to the line but retains the wonderful style of an Avo cigar.

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, never knew there were Avo lounges. I would love to try that, and nice ashtray! I love that color. If I am ever up that far North, I will have to try and stop by!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Wow, never knew there were Avo lounges. I would love to try that, and nice ashtray! I love that color. If I am ever up that far North, I will have to try and stop by!
    Road trip! I'll swing through all of West TN and pick up the guys around here, head up through KY for you, swing in for Kuzi, and we can herf...

...just as soon as I get a paid vacation.

But seriously, I want one. Sounds yummy.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel:
    Gray4lines:
    Road trip! I'll swing through all of West TN and pick up the guys around here, head up through KY for you, swing in for Kuzi, and we can herf...

ill just meet you there. its my home B&M and i can be found there 1-2 times a week.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Martel:
    Gray4lines:

ill just meet you there. its my home B&M and i can be found there 1-2 times a week.
    Lucky dude! Kuz, how much do these go for? I found some online, but wonder if they are a little too pricey... May try and pick up a couple. The Domain and XO are my 2 fav Avo's, so this one sounds like a winner
  • Options
    if i am not mistaken this one was $15.90....

dont quote me on that. i may be off a few cents.
  • Options
    kuzi16:

Oh! I found em at $13. I may just try and grab em
  • Options
    2-10-14 been in humidor since 10-10-13
    Regius Robusto (4.875 x 50)
    Wrapper: Shade-grown Nicaraguan Rosado
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Don Ricardo, Nestor Plasencia

Regius cigars have only been available in the US since about 2011. Before that time the owner, Akhil Kapacee, was distributing to the Asian and European markets. This means that this cigar was competing directly with Cuban cigars. To many this may seem like a no-win situation given the reputation of the island south of Miami. However, this is exactly the competition the good people at Regius were ready to take head on. They believe that Nicaragua has grown in tobacco cultivation and cigar manufacturing so much that they are on par with the product coming out of Cuba. Not only was this cigar was designed to compete with Cuban cigars, it was designed to have a bit of Cuban flavor using zero Cuban tobacco. This could help explain why it was able to survive in Europe and Asia.

There is a method to make this happen. The first choice was to make the cigars in the Plasencia Factory. The Plasencia family is considered one of the major dynasties in cigar making. The family started in Cuba and when they were forced off of their land and out of the country by the hostile Castro regime, they settled in Nicaragua and Honduras. Not only is the family heavy in pedigree and tradition, but Nestor Plasencia has a degree in Agricultural Engineering. They know what they are doing.

The Next choice that was made to help Regius compete with the Cuban cigar market was what tobacco was being used. The tobacco itself has been taken care of. From the soil being analyzed in a lab previous to planting, to a highly controlled curing process, to a 15 year aging process for some of the bend, there is care and love in every step.

This effort produced good results and created success in markets dominated by Cuban cigars. In 2011, in a deal made with SAG Imports (“Sobrinos de Antero Gonzales" or “Descendants of Antero Gonzales,” better know as Quesada), the brand came to the US.

This Cigar comes in a metal tube with black and gold a red color scheme. Across the top of the tube is the brand name and under that are the words "Arbiter Elegantiae" inside a rendered ribbon in black. This is a reference to Gaius Petronis Arbiter who was considered to be authority of elegance and taste by the decadent Nero, of Roman Empire fame. The lip of the tube is also gold in color. The presentation of this tube is wonderful. Once open, the color scheme and branding are mirrored on the band. The wrapper is a light brown with a touch of a reddish hue and has a bit of a sparkle to it. The triple cap is beautifully done.

The wrapper feels smooth and oily. The smell unlit is very mild. The lick on the cap is also mild but slightly sour. When held in the mouth momentarily a light spice makes an appearance. After a clip with a bouble guillotine I have a very slightly firm draw with an extremely light spice and a light dried fruit flavor. The subtlety of the flavors is actually what is noticed. It is all very clean before the light.

light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are a relatively sharp cedar with an undertone of spice. There is a slight sweetness that starts to emerge by the fifth puff or so. This quick change in flavor is usually indicative of a hot light. Once the cigar is settled in a slight floral note comes in. The dominant flavors are still woody and spicy, a typical Nicaraguan flavor profile.

The middle third is a bit rounder overall and any hint on harshness is gone but there is no further development. The flavors are decent but there are no real dynamics. The good news is that the spice is not too much. It is smooth, even with some through the nose. The wood notes are sweet and sharp. However, if the intent was to create a Cuban feel from a non-Cuban cigar, then this is a failure. If the point was to make a quality Nicaraguan cigar, then this is a relative success. It is just not anything special so far.

The final third is identical to the first two. Still the flavors are nothing amazing but they are not bad. The real “problem” with this particular cigar is that there is no journey or dynamics over the course of the cigar. It is a one note song, and that note is not anything that sets it apart from other cigars. The flavors are decidedly mediocre. The plus side is that there are zero burn or construction issues. It is a well made cigar.

The cigar goes out at the nub due to inattention. The flavor does not bring you back puff after puff.

Burn time: 1 hour 45 min.

burn: 10
    draw: 9
    taste: 7
    aftertaste: 7
    balance: 7
    feel: 7

overall: 8.1

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you remember the price point on these? I am a big fan of the cedar flavor and though it may be a one trick pony I think I want to give these a go especially if the price is right. Nicely done review.
  • Options
    I thought the corona was really good and more complex than you indicate here. Floral and citrus flavors melded and danced together. Granted, I've only had the one because NO ONE around here carries them. I've begged. I've pleaded. I've emailed, called, and mentioned it in person. Not one of the SAG supplied shops seems to care.

But, I put it in my top 10 list I gave to my wife, anyway. It was a little monotone, but smooth and quite good, overall, I thought. I'm curious if the vitola makes that much of a difference, or if this is a palate difference or you smoked a bum cigar/I scored a good one thing.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel:
    I thought the corona was really good and more complex than you indicate here. Floral and citrus flavors melded and danced together. Granted, I've only had the one because NO ONE around here carries them. I've begged. I've pleaded. I've emailed, called, and mentioned it in person. Not one of the SAG supplied shops seems to care.

But, I put it in my top 10 list I gave to my wife, anyway. It was a little monotone, but smooth and quite good, overall, I thought. I'm curious if the vitola makes that much of a difference, or if this is a palate difference or you smoked a bum cigar/I scored a good one thing.
    Looks like MSRP is $7 and the closest place to me that has them is 4 hours away. For that price I definitely plan on hunting a few of these down. Luckily I know the manager at that store 4 hours away so I bet I can get him to ship them to me.
  • Options
    this one was a gift so i dont know the MSRP. i was just very disappointed with it. its a middle of the road Nicaraguan.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    this one was a gift so i dont know the MSRP. i was just very disappointed with it. its a middle of the road Nicaraguan.
    Do you believe in the theory that you should smoke several of one cigar to have a true opinion of it? I usually review the first time I smoke a cigar, but not always. I just look at it like I'm reviewing this particular smoking experience.

Still, I'm nowhere near as refined of palate as you, but I went back to my review and tasting notes. It was far more complex to me than you mention yours being. Cedar, a little pepper, but not overwhelming anything else. Floral comes and goes. Some citrus throughout, but also some tangy dairy feel to it as well at times. Like sour cream or yogurt, instead of the citrus.

I hope you give this another shot. I have no problem with saying I don't like a smoke when I don't like it, no matter the hype or fan base. Anejo-no. OSOK-meh to bleh. And so on. I smoked this without reading any reviews and loved it. I know taste is personal , but the really surprising thing about your review is the idea that the cigar lacked complexity, because that's what I found so intriguing about it. It was complex, and with flavors I haven't tasted in many cigars. Refreshing, in fact for its qualities. So much so that I've started my personal crusade to try and get these in the mid-South somewhere.

Oh, btw, is this the kind of debate you were asking for in that "two cents" thread? If so, happy to oblige.

• Options
    Martel:
    Do you believe in the theory that you should smoke several of one cigar to have a true opinion of it? I usually review the first time I smoke a cigar, but not always. I just look at it like I'm reviewing this particular smoking experience.

yes and no. i do like to note that when i do a review it is of one cigar on one day. and taste is subjective enough to change from one day to the next given the PH in the mouth, the mood, or any number of factors. some of my favorite cigars had bad reviews but they are still my favorite cigars.
    Martel:
    Still, I'm nowhere near as refined of palate as you, but I went back to my review and tasting notes. It was far more complex to me than you mention yours being. Cedar, a little pepper, but not overwhelming anything else. Floral comes and goes. Some citrus throughout, but also some tangy dairy feel to it as well at times. Like sour cream or yogurt, instead of the citrus.

I hope you give this another shot. I have no problem with saying I don't like a smoke when I don't like it, no matter the hype or fan base. Anejo-no. OSOK-meh to bleh. And so on. I smoked this without reading any reviews and loved it. I know taste is personal , but the really surprising thing about your review is the idea that the cigar lacked complexity, because that's what I found so intriguing about it. It was complex, and with flavors I haven't tasted in many cigars. Refreshing, in fact for its qualities. So much so that I've started my personal crusade to try and get these in the mid-South somewhere.

that would have kept me interested.
    and if it did have those flavors i would absolutely say that it has a bit more Cuban profile. many people describe the Cuban profile as "twang" or "tang" and that is what you are describing. i am always willing to try a cigar again but if on the second try i dont like it then i am hard pressed to try it a third time.

Martel:
    Oh, btw, is this the kind of debate you were asking for in that "two cents" thread? If so, happy to oblige.
    yes. exactly. these are the type of comments i hope to get after every review. i am more interested in the comments where people disagree with me than when they agree when it comes to my reviews.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    kuzi16:

Oh! I found em at $13. I may just try and grab em
    Yummy sounds good! If you're in the area, I'll throw you a few bucks.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Martel:

yes and no. i do like to note that when i do a review it is of one cigar on one day. and taste is subjective enough to change from one day to the next given the PH in the mouth, the mood, or any number of factors. some of my favorite cigars had bad reviews but they are still my favorite cigars.
    Martel:

that would have kept me interested.
    and if it did have those flavors i would absolutely say that it has a bit more Cuban profile. many people describe the Cuban profile as "twang" or "tang" and that is what you are describing. i am always willing to try a cigar again but if on the second try i dont like it then i am hard pressed to try it a third time.

Martel:
    yes. exactly. these are the type of comments i hope to get after every review. i am more interested in the comments where people disagree with me than when they agree when it comes to my reviews.
    Well, I hope we can both try another again, soon. There's enough good cigars out there, that it's no great loss if you don't like this one, but the review surprised me.

When I was preaching, I loved comments, period. Anything beyond "good sermon" made my heart happy! It meant someone was affected in some way by what I said. I welcomed negative and positive and grew from both. Happy reviewing!

• Options
    ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    kuzi16:
    Our local BM carries the full line in non celo boxes. I picked up the robustos and had pretty much the same middle of the road experience. I also bought several of the Regius White Label "Royal Robusto" 5 1/4 X 54. It is fuller bodied and has more spice and earth than the non white. I can send you one if you would like to a comparison review.
  • Options
    ckrddsmke:
    kuzi16:
    Our local BM carries the full line in non celo boxes. I picked up the robustos and had pretty much the same middle of the road experience. I also bought several of the Regius White Label "Royal Robusto" 5 1/4 X 54. It is fuller bodied and has more spice and earth than the non white. I can send you one if you would like to a comparison review.
    no need. im sure i will run across them again at some point. i just hope it isnt the robusto.

ive been doing some reading and it seems that others feel that the robusto is the low point of the lineup. next time ill look into getting the corona size.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ckrddsmke:
    kuzi16:
    no need. im sure i will run across them again at some point. i just hope it isnt the robusto.

ive been doing some reading and it seems that others feel that the robusto is the low point of the lineup. next time ill look into getting the corona size.
    That is some good info there. I will skip over the robusto which I don't buy too often anyways.
  • Options
    2/19/2014 been in humidor since 1/29/2014
    Illusione Cruzado Elitas (6 x 44)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollio Rosado
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filelr: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Dion Giolito

This cigar has been around since 2008. It is a variant of the original Illusione blend, with this blend focusing more on the criollo leaf more than the corojo and the ligero leaves being replaced with viso leaves. These changes make the cigar more flavor driven and less power driven with a softer feel.

In a way, this makes them more traditional than many of the cigars on the market currently. The classic Cuban ring gauge and the lack of over the top power does not seem to appeal to the large ring gauge and spice bomb driven non-Cuban market. Therefore Illusione, and specifically the Cruzado, seem to go under the radar on many big name forums, B&Ms, and even online. It seems that the hardcore enthusiasts are the only people talking about Illusione.

Don't think that this cigar is so unknown that it has nothing to show for itself. The brand, and this line, have been very positively reviewed on many of the top publications and review websites, winning accolades that include terms like “best of show” and “cigar of the year” and “hottest boutique brand.”

The Cruzado Elitas is a wonderfully dark brown/red lonsdale. The wrapper is very uneven in tone, showing the actual natural fementation process. The cap looks expertly crafted and winds up to a pigtail that is flattened against the cap. If not careful it would be easy to miss that it has this classic Cuban cap. There are many veins in the both the wrapper leaf and showing through from the binder. The rustic look makes the cigar look almost seamless. A simple but striking band of gold, silver and black completes the cigar. It is an excellent color scheme given the color of the cigar itself.

This cigar has almost no bouquet, a quality that is usually found on aged cigars. The aging of the tobacco probably happened before the cigar was rolled. The lick on the cap is cedar in taste with a bit of a tart note on it as well. After cutting with a double guillotine a near perfect draw is discovered. There is a gentle umami note that leans to roasted nuts and rye bread.

Light with a soft flame.
    The first hot draws bring on heavy flavors of earth and leather and cedar. There is an undertone of sweetness to the initial part of the draw as well. On the finish there is a bit of a pepper note that lingers long into the finish. As the cigar settles in the cedar note begins to slowly cannibalize the leather, and then most of the earth. Through the nose there is a bit more pepper and a bit more cedar but the cedar is a bit more sharp through the nose making it a touch floral.

As the cigar settles in, these notes mellow out and become very relaxing. The spice dies out and is only an impression on the tongue in the finish. This finish is very mush a fresh mushroom flavor. It goes very well with the soft cedar on the initial draw.

The middle third becomes more earth and leather again. The cigar is smooth mellow and round in flavor. Nothing is overpowering on the palate, but once smoke is pushed through the nose there is a bit of a burn that is just slightly out of balance with both the flavors and body of the cigar. The retrohale also has a slight musk to it that stays into the finish. The finish of the middle third has a slight drying quality. Without this quality the spice may be lost. Given the flavor profile on the palate this drying quality is needed because the spice makes the finish complex and enjoyable.

The final third starts off with a touch up on the burn. This cigar apparently does not enjoy a slow smoking style. The flavors have transitioned to a roasted earth flavor. It has the same roasted qualities that a dark roast coffee has but it is not coffee. It is definitively earth. The retrohale is essentially the same as the first two thirds but the flavors on the palate are different. The transitions are not defined. They are noticed long after they have changed. Its a slow subtle change but absolutely there.

The cigar ends on warmer earth note with walnuts and black tea. The complexity of this smoke is fairly amazing.

Burn to the burn
    time: 1 hour 55 min

burn: 8.5
    draw: 9.5
    taste: 9
    aftertaste: 9
    balance: 9
    feel: 9

overall: 9.1

I suspect this cigar will also age well.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Our experiences differed greatly with the Cruzado. Its no secret that I am a HUGE fan if Illlusione's regular line and the new Rothschilds. But the Cruzado hit me as much more bland than you are describing. I remember thinking of it as their budget stick (even though it obviously isn't). Maybe I had it on a bad day. I would say maybe it was a bum stick, but I have burned through many Illusiones and have always thought of them as one of the most consistent brands out there. I smoked the toro, a 52rg I believe, so maybe the smaller ring lends helps in revealing the complexity you're describing. I will give it a second shot, maybe try the lonsdale or corona this time around.
  • Options
    i saw a few reviews for this cigar that were along the lines you are talking about here. bland, not complex at all, unbalanced. some said it was harsh and tasted young and needed more age. I found it to be very good. it probably wont find its way into my best of 2014 list when that time comes but i would smoke it again.

you also have to keep in mind that Dion blends to smaller rings. he prefers them. so it may just be a ring gauge issue. i mean, most of those reviews i saw were of the larger rings.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    That is true. As much as I love the MJ12, the F9, CG4, and 888 are all better smokes. I know with the original line, aging isn't an issue. To me, they are just as good straight from the B&M as they are after 3-4 years in your humi. Not sure about the Cruzado though, how long have you had the one you reviewed?
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    how long have you had the one you reviewed?
    just a few weeks.

i suspect that it will age well because of the lack of ligero leaves.
    ligero is good for power and spice, but it loses that quality faster than seco or viso. since this cigar has NO ligero it should age well with not many changes, just smoothing and melding of flavors. id love to get a few and put them down for a few years. I may just do that.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Actually saw this the other day and wanted to see if anyone reviewed it before pulling the trigger on a few. I'll definately buy a couple based on your review.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:
    just a few weeks.

ligero is good for power and spice, but it loses that quality faster than seco or viso. since this cigar has NO ligero it should age well with not many changes, just smoothing and melding of flavors. id love to get a few and put them down for a few years. I may just do that.
    Ligero ages poorly? Wow, that sort of flies in the face of everything I thought I knew. I mean I thought ligero = strong and strong = good for aging, generally speaking. And I also thought AJ uses a lot of ligero and I KNOW his cigars age well. Could you maybe elaborate a bit on this at some point? Maybe on a separate post so I don't jack your review thread?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:
    just a few weeks.

Ligero ages poorly? Wow, that sort of flies in the face of everything I thought I knew. I mean I thought ligero = strong and strong = good for aging, generally speaking. And I also thought AJ uses a lot of ligero and I KNOW his cigars age well. Could you maybe elaborate a bit on this at some point? Maybe on a separate post so I don't jack your review thread?
    yes. i can.

ill do it here but dont have the time now. and you are right... it is counter intuitive especially after what i have been saying for years. its a different way of thinking. dont change yours. all will be clear when i explain myself.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    so i actually hinted at the answer with what i said in my above quote.

the way most of us have been taught to think of aging is that the stronger the cigar is the more age it can take. I mean, after all, age is the slow and controlled mixing and then break down of oils within a cigar. and to a degree this is very correct. if you have a real powerhouse of a cigar that is full of spice it will age for a few years and lose much of the power and spice; aging "nicely"
    this happens in a relatively short time and that is hinting at the problem.

Ligero, compared to viso, breaks down fast. so yes, strong cigars will age well but they will also change drastically. this can be good and it can be bad.
    but think of it this way. many cigars have large amounts of ligero and are blended when the tobacco is new and fresh. when that ligero breaks down due to age and loses its power, flavors, and often complexity, the cigar will not taste the same at all. Yes, it ages, it changes, but that isnt always a good thing or an intended thing.

liga Privada No.9 for example, has a good amount of ligero. it ages in this drastic measure. i happen to not like it very much aged. it loses everything that makes it good in my mind. it loses the ligero.
    on the other hand, Davidoff thousand series has relatively little ligero in it and after 3-5 years it tastes very similar to the fresh product, just softer and more complex. more mixing of oils, slower breakdown.

now that i have some aged stock in my collection (many dating to 2006, 07, 08) i am able to see how drastic many of these blends change, and often not for the better.

i am also seeing that the lighter blends are not only more enjoyable to me personally , but taste more like their fresh counterpoints with more complexity.

there are a few exceptions to this though, DPG blue being a good example. its one of the few ligero heavy cigars that i feel are much better with 5+ years on them than fresh

so as i said before, dont change how you think about age completely. just add on to it.
    ligero will age well, but since it changes so drastically it wont maintain the same spirit that the cigar was blended in. many will refer to this as an aged cigar being past its prime. cigars with little Ligero have a longer "prime" than those with heavy ligero.

so i guess the comment "this cigar may age well" is still a relative term, but now you know where the comment came from in this specific instance.
  • Options
    This is awesome information. I can't wait to have some cigars sitting on 5 or more years in my humi.

Any idea what makes DPG Blue so much better after aging in contrast to other ligero heavy cigars? I've only tried it "fresh" and its a borderline smoke for me. I almost love it but something just doesn't sit right in my mouth. Every. Time. So much to like, but something just turns me off. But I'm curious what quality might make this blend age well even though it has a high ligero ratio when other cigars wouldn't? I'm planning on tucking away a few of these to age, just to see if what I don't like goes away.

At any rate, it seems like ligero can't be the only indicator. Maybe an important one, but it seems like the only way to truly know if a cigar ages well is to, well, age it.

kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    so i actually hinted at the answer with what i said in my above quote.

the way most of us have been taught to think of aging is that the stronger the cigar is the more age it can take. I mean, after all, age is the slow and controlled mixing and then break down of oils within a cigar. and to a degree this is very correct. if you have a real powerhouse of a cigar that is full of spice it will age for a few years and lose much of the power and spice; aging "nicely"
    this happens in a relatively short time and that is hinting at the problem.

Ligero, compared to viso, breaks down fast. so yes, strong cigars will age well but they will also change drastically. this can be good and it can be bad.
    but think of it this way. many cigars have large amounts of ligero and are blended when the tobacco is new and fresh. when that ligero breaks down due to age and loses its power, flavors, and often complexity, the cigar will not taste the same at all. Yes, it ages, it changes, but that isnt always a good thing or an intended thing.

liga Privada No.9 for example, has a good amount of ligero. it ages in this drastic measure. i happen to not like it very much aged. it loses everything that makes it good in my mind. it loses the ligero.
    on the other hand, Davidoff thousand series has relatively little ligero in it and after 3-5 years it tastes very similar to the fresh product, just softer and more complex. more mixing of oils, slower breakdown.

now that i have some aged stock in my collection (many dating to 2006, 07, 08) i am able to see how drastic many of these blends change, and often not for the better.

i am also seeing that the lighter blends are not only more enjoyable to me personally , but taste more like their fresh counterpoints with more complexity.

there are a few exceptions to this though, DPG blue being a good example. its one of the few ligero heavy cigars that i feel are much better with 5+ years on them than fresh

so as i said before, dont change how you think about age completely. just add on to it.
    ligero will age well, but since it changes so drastically it wont maintain the same spirit that the cigar was blended in. many will refer to this as an aged cigar being past its prime. cigars with little Ligero have a longer "prime" than those with heavy ligero.

so i guess the comment "this cigar may age well" is still a relative term, but now you know where the comment came from in this specific instance.

• Options
    Martel:
    Any idea what makes DPG Blue so much better after aging in contrast to other ligero heavy cigars? I've only tried it "fresh" and its a borderline smoke for me. I almost love it but something just doesn't sit right in my mouth. Every. Time. So much to like, but something just turns me off. But I'm curious what quality might make this blend age well even though it has a high ligero ratio when other cigars wouldn't?
    i have no idea why DPG blue ages well. maybe it is the vast experience of DPG. maybe it has to do with the type of ligero used. maybe it isnt as ligero as we think it is and they are just using sungrown seco, maybe its just luck.