Home General Discussion

Are my sticks ruined?

I really need some help from you guys. For about the last 3to 4 weeks my humis both have been reading about 58 to 60%. I have tried recalibrating my hygros and even bought 2 new xikar digitals. Did the salt test about 6 times and got different readings every time. If the humidity is really that low are my stogies ruined? If not how long will they last at that % ? And what do I need to do to bring it up? I tried the reseasoning that catfish posted even added extra days with the sponge. Added kitty litter and still a week later 58%. What is the problem???

Comments

• thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    keep calm and gangnam style!
    first how big is the humi?
    your sticks are not in the humi at this time correct? if they are pull them out and store in a tupper or ziplock bags
    now lets say sticks are out how much kl did you add?
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58 - 60 isn't low at all. I keep my cabinet at 60 - 62 all the time as that is my preferred smoking humidity. See how they smoke at that humidity level and then adjust accordingly.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    keep calm and gangnam style!
    first how big is the humi?
    your sticks are not in the humi at this time correct? if they are pull them out and store in a tupper or ziplock bags
    now lets say sticks are out how much kl did you add?
    And no the are not ruined. Need more info. How big is the humi, how full etc. That's a common problem this time a year. Have you checked the seal on your humi? Typically you'll need to water more often or add more beads/kitty litter in the winter. But I'd put the sticks in a Tupperware or ziplock bag with a humipak or 2 depending on how many cigars you got, until you get your humi straight.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAHA let me be the first one to say it. Yes, they are all ruined. Please package them and send them to me so that I may destroy them properly with fire. Good advice here. I had to start keeping mine in the basement year round just to avoid issues. Placement can be an issue as well. By a window, vent, etc.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    HAHA let me be the first one to say it. Yes, they are all ruined. Please package them and send them to me so that I may destroy them properly with fire. Good advice here. I had to start keeping mine in the basement year round just to avoid issues. Placement can be an issue as well. By a window, vent, etc.
    You keep trying that same old trick Jake, has it ever worked ?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup ruined!! Send them too me and I will dispose of them ;)
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Yup ruined!! Send them too me and I will dispose of them ;)
    without opening this is almost always what runs through my head when i see a thread with that title.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    My humidor is in my basement. In the winter it is 60-63% humidity. In the summer it is 67-70% humidity. Never have a problem with them. Letting them fluctuate some with the environment helps them not split/crack as easily when you do light them up. Depends on your weather where you live of course, but up here in Minnesota it works amazingly well to let them fluctuate on their own accord.
  • JcalJcal Posts: 5
    One humi is 125count the other is 50. They are both about 3/4 full. And no I didn't pull the sticks but I will. The 125 ct has about 3/4 pound of kitty litter and I have sprayed it about 3 times and it hasn't changed. They were both holding at about 67% for months and all of a sudden they both dropped almost over night. The seal seems to be good. I get the swoosh sound when closing it.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    HAHA let me be the first one to say it. Yes, they are all ruined. Please package them and send them to me so that I may destroy them properly with fire.
    You beat me to it!
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    Jcal:
    One humi is 125count the other is 50. They are both about 3/4 full. And no I didn't pull the sticks but I will. The 125 ct has about 3/4 pound of kitty litter and I have sprayed it about 3 times and it hasn't changed. They were both holding at about 67% for months and all of a sudden they both dropped almost over night. The seal seems to be good. I get the swoosh sound when closing it.
    did you add more sticks latelt?might be that your sticks are absorbing more then the humi.
    when ever you season you pull the sticks,
    reseason with out the sticks, i would up the KL to 1lb.
    give them a good spraying, let them sit undisturbed for at least 2-3 days so you can gauge whats going IE, is the RH going up?down? etc.
  • JcalJcal Posts: 5
    Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can get this under control