Home General Discussion
Options

what drink will compliment my cigars best

I was recently introduced to cigars by my brother in law, who gave me his humidor with about 75 cigars, when he left for 2 years to Bahrain(?). I have been enjoying some Ghurkas and toranos and some that you can't get here in the states, wink, wink hahaha, but I want to enjoy the full value of a cigar. So far I have only drank maker's Mark with my cigars and it gives me a vanilla/caramel chocolate after taste, which is nice, but I don't want to miss out on these fine cigars full potential. What are some of your favorite cognac's and brandy's?

Comments

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    mister anderson:
    I was recently introduced to cigars by my brother in law, who gave me his humidor with about 75 cigars, when he left for 2 years to Bahrain(?). I have been enjoying some Ghurkas and toranos and some that you can't get here in the states, wink, wink hahaha, but I want to enjoy the full value of a cigar. So far I have only drank maker's Mark with my cigars and it gives me a vanilla/caramel chocolate after taste, which is nice, but I don't want to miss out on these fine cigars full potential. What are some of your favorite cognac's and brandy's?
    Are you sure he didn't give them to you to watch over and protect while they age while he is away? LOL... My advice is to just try whatever you like, and a wide variety of it. My personal taste is bourbon. So I enjoy trying different bourbons with different cigars. I'm never disappointed. Many times I just go by my gut feeling. I'll light the stick.. spend a couple minutes with it... then go choose which bourbon I'm drawn to at the time. Have fun!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Mr A. I used to drink Gentleman Jack to accompany my cigars but now I just go with water unless the cigar leads me to want something more. Sometimes a club soda. Sometimes a coke. It's all a matter of personal preference.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    This too me falls under what will compliment my meal the best. Well what are you having what's the main course any sides...how big is the meal and what do you have to go with it??????? All cigars are different! But for the most part coffee and water are the best IMO for the most part. And are you sure the ones "you can't get in the states" are real? Even if he bought them over seas there is a good chance they are fakes just saying
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate answers which begin with "It depends..." and end with "...YMMV". Why answer at all if you don't have an answer.

However, the truth is that, just as the flavor of cigars vary, so their accompaniment ought to vary as well.

Many cigars have that leathery taste. Beer is excellent mouthwash there.
    Many cigars have that spicy flavor. Rye is ideal with them.
    Many cigars have that bitter espresso flavor. I don't like them, so I ought not say. I would guess that coffee would go well with them.
    Some cigars are sweet, chocolate, or caramel. Bourbon like your Makers Mark would do well.
    A few cigars have a peculiar tang that goes very well with Tequila.
    If you had to settle on just one thing, try rum. Clears your palate quite well.

In every instance, be sure you accompany a quality cigar with a quality beverage. Don't reach for the rum they mix drinks with. Reach for a rum which you would sip straight up, a beer carefully crafted from the four ingredients, a whiskey likewise quality. If you wouldn't savor it neat, then it's not going to do the job.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    By the way if you don't want to miss the full potential start with water,tonic or soda water. This will refresh you but not mess with your pallet
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I hate answers which begin with "It depends..." and end with "...YMMV". Why answer at all if you don't have an answer.

However, the truth is that, just as the flavor of cigars vary, so their accompaniment ought to vary as well.

Many cigars have that leathery taste. Beer is excellent mouthwash there.
    Many cigars have that spicy flavor. Rye is ideal with them.
    Many cigars have that bitter espresso flavor. I don't like them, so I ought not say. I would guess that coffee would go well with them.
    Some cigars are sweet, chocolate, or caramel. Bourbon like your Makers Mark would do well.
    A few cigars have a peculiar tang that goes very well with Tequila.
    If you had to settle on just one thing, try rum. Clears your palate quite well.

In every instance, be sure you accompany a quality cigar with a quality beverage. Don't reach for the rum they mix drinks with. Reach for a rum which you would sip straight up, a beer carefully crafted from the four ingredients, a whiskey likewise quality. If you wouldn't savor it neat, then it's not going to do the job.

A most excellent answer!
  • Options
    gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    Lee.mcglynn:
    By the way if you don't want to miss the full potential start with water,tonic or soda water. This will refresh you but not mess with your pallet
    +1
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I really like single malt Scotch. I prefer stuff from the Islay region. That region has more smokey, peaty, salty flavors which really pair well with spicy and rich smokes. Diet Pepsi and Dr. Pepper pairs with anything. Cheap beer also pairs pretty well with most anything. Lot's of guys like Rum as well.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum..? My standard warning is "Tread lightly this path", not all is what it seems, and there is a serious lack of math skills.

In the morning I always drink good coffee with Irish cream, no matter what cigar I am enjoying.
    During the day it is iced tea, again no matter the cigar.
    At night if I have a drink with my cigar it will be Jamison Irish, Powers Irish or Glenmorangie dual Cask Lasanta.
    But, like most people on here it doesn't really matter what you have, as long as the cigar is good.

And at 3AM when Sprint has summoned me I'll grab anything.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always seem to have a Dr. Pepper at hand when smoking and believe it or not I have met many guys who prefer that as their non alcoholic beverage of choice with a cigar. It brings out any underlying sweet flavors IMO. Not sugary sweet like infused. Try it you will see.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    I always seem to have a Dr. Pepper at hand when smoking and believe it or not I have met many guys who prefer that as their non alcoholic beverage of choice with a cigar. It brings out any underlying sweet flavors IMO. Not sugary sweet like infused. Try it you will see.
    Dr. Pepper is actually a nice pairing with many cigars for my taste too. There was /is a member "Dr. Pepper Dude" on the forums here. Haven't seen Dude around lately. And I like those Starbuck cold drinks that they sell in the glass jars. Mocha, or Vanilla.. Don't know the actual name but you know what I mean.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

things ive liked with cigars: Coffee, White Rascal (a beer), water, Coca-cola.

• Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Coffee, Root Beer, Water, Rum
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Rum, especially Captain Morgan Private stock. Believe it or not, Arizona Diet Green Tea is really good with most Connecticuts, Cameroons, or other naturally sweet cigars. I also really enjoy Tullamore Dew neat with some cigars.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stick with coffee and water for the most part, I'm going to have to try the Dr. Pepper now. I have had good experances with Maine Root, (root beer) it's HTF here, most of the Root beer has too much carbonation though. I have had mixed results with lemonade's.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    My drinks of choice to pair with a cigar.
    coffee, Dr Pepper, root beer, most porters or stouts, bourbon, apple pie shine, and chocolate milk. Yes, chocolate milk pairs well with cigars. I'm not sure who suggested it on the forums awhile back, but I, and my waistline, owe you for this tidbit.