Home General Discussion
Options

Xikar Event - Review

New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
So, I went to the Xikar event at a (not-so) local BnM today. I got there at about 1030, walked around, drooled on stuff. I picked up some of the BnM's own sticks. They were buy 3 get 1 free, so HEY! why not?! I would say however, that they are priced a bit high. Paying $7-10 for a "local stick" seems a bit high to me. I could have paid another dollar, and had an Air Bender...or another $2 and had an Undercrown. ANYWAY!

By 1230 the place was getting packed. A ton of folks around, enjoying cigars, food, drink, etc. Talked to quite a few guys there. Had a pretty good time over all. I left at about 1600, to head over to the inlaws and pick up the kids.

Xikar, I felt, was a little lacking in their set up and delivery. They were offering 20% off lighters and cutters. Though, most of their stuff is over priced anyway, so...that really just brought it down to an almost manageable price.

Anyway, I picked up some stuff while I was there. I got the 4 local sticks (smoked 2 there), and they had "13" sticks (well, those are also "local" sticks...so yeah) buy one get one...so I grabbed 2 5ers.

Comments

• Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    13's are good, but not a fan of the 60's but each to their own. As per the gunslinger, those are AJ's sticks. Not readily available, but if you know where to look they can be found.

Sounds like you had a good time, which is what it should be about.

Any opinion on the 2 locals that you smoked? Assume they were the Gunslinger hangman and Black Powder?
  • Options
    bearb:
    13's are good, but not a fan of the 60's but each to their own. As per the gunslinger, those are AJ's sticks. Not readily available, but if you know where to look they can be found.

Sounds like you had a good time, which is what it should be about.

Any opinion on the 2 locals that you smoked? Assume they were the Gunslinger hangman and Black Powder?
    I had the WTF and the Unforgiven. They were both good. In the Medium+ range, I think they'd be better with some time on 'em. Even though I'd still call 'em a little high in price, I'd buy them again. I'm not a huge 60rg fan either, I just kinda made due with what they had.

EDIT: I can easily obtain some "gunslingers" or anything else from the line...lemme know if you need some
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High priced but fun to visit and hang out at. Best events as well. I got back too late for this one. Do you ever visit the one really close to 435 down the road?

Surprised Xikar wasn't on their A game there. I have always enjoyed the events they are at and have seen them replace items on the spot without customers asking. For instance one guy had a scratch on his lighter and they swapped it out when they saw him using it.

I like their stuff and the lifetime warranty. I avoid paying retail. Haven't been to an event since I did an event there for a cigar company a few years ago. Going to have to see what is up with them.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    High priced but fun to visit and hang out at. Best events as well. I got back too late for this one. Do you ever visit the one really close to 435 down the road?
    That was the first time I've been to either.
  • Options
    We must meet up at the next one!!
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:

Surprised Xikar wasn't on their A game there. I have always enjoyed the events they are at and have seen them replace items on the spot without customers asking. For instance one guy had a scratch on his lighter and they swapped it out when they saw him using it.

I like their stuff and the lifetime warranty. I avoid paying retail. Haven't been to an event since I did an event there for a cigar company a few years ago. Going to have to see what is up with them.

Yeah, even if Xikar is a little high, they are totally worth it. I had one of the twist-to-open punches on my keychain back when I lived in Hawaii. I lived on the second floor, and one day I accidentally dropped my keys from the second floor. They hit the concrete on the first floor, punch-first. It dented in the opening so I could no longer open it. I emailed Xikar and asked if there was a way to fix it or a replacement part or anything. They emailed back saying to just mail it in to them and they would replace it. I replied, stating that it was obviously my fault, it was in no way a product failing. They emailed me back saying they understood, but it didn't matter, mail it to them and they would send me a new one. I did, and they did, about a week and a half turnaround. Fast foward a few years. I bought one of their 008 punches back in 2010. Unless I am smoking a torpedo, it is the only cutter I've used, for about 4 years now. It has finally gotten a little dull, so I emailed them asking if they could sharpen it if I send it in. Unfortunately, they can't sharpen it, and since they no longer produce the 008, they can't replace the blade. However, they have offered to replace it with my choice of the 007 or 009 punch. I'm probably going to keep it and just buy a new 009, it almost feels like I would be ripping them off to have them send me a new 009; I mean after 4 years of constant use, don't you expect at least a little dulling?

But yeah, due to that first experience with them and now their offer on my 008, Xikars are the only cutters/lighters I will buy any more.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    Well, I'll either be working, or in Topeka at my daughters roller derby match during the 8 March Eddie Ortega event. We'll figure something out!
    alienmisprint:
    jsnake:

Yeah, even if Xikar is a little high, they are totally worth it. I had one of the twist-to-open punches on my keychain back when I lived in Hawaii. I lived on the second floor, and one day I accidentally dropped my keys from the second floor. They hit the concrete on the first floor, punch-first. It dented in the opening so I could no longer open it. I emailed Xikar and asked if there was a way to fix it or a replacement part or anything. They emailed back saying to just mail it in to them and they would replace it. I replied, stating that it was obviously my fault, it was in no way a product failing. They emailed me back saying they understood, but it didn't matter, mail it to them and they would send me a new one. I did, and they did, about a week and a half turnaround. Fast foward a few years. I bought one of their 008 punches back in 2010. Unless I am smoking a torpedo, it is the only cutter I've used, for about 4 years now. It has finally gotten a little dull, so I emailed them asking if they could sharpen it if I send it in. Unfortunately, they can't sharpen it, and since they no longer produce the 008, they can't replace the blade. However, they have offered to replace it with my choice of the 007 or 009 punch. I'm probably going to keep it and just buy a new 009, it almost feels like I would be ripping them off to have them send me a new 009; I mean after 4 years of constant use, don't you expect at least a little dulling?

But yeah, due to that first experience with them and now their offer on my 008, Xikars are the only cutters/lighters I will buy any more.
    Yeah, their quality is top of the line, no doubt....and customer service seems to be on the Ccom level, from what I've heard. I just can't quite pull the trigger on it.....yet.
  • Options
    I have Xikar punch, cutter, and lighters. Just nice to know I have that warranty because no matter what you use it eventually will wear. It is an investment in my hobby. Watch the devil site and ccom for specials. I love supporting a hometown company plus they are just really good people.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, prices seem to vary a lot too. Full retail is high, but you can usually find the same thing on sale somewhere. I love all my Xicrap.

On another note, I just found out that they quit making the lighter I use, so if it ever breaks I have to get a different one :(. Thinking of buying a backup while I can still find em.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I was playing with some of their cutters yesterday. You can feel the quality, just by holding it, and dry cutting a few times. I do need to pick up a new cutter. The only cutters I have are double G's.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    I was playing with some of their cutters yesterday. You can feel the quality, just by holding it, and dry cutting a few times. I do need to pick up a new cutter. The only cutters I have are double G's.
    I have one with the wood handles. Need to have it replaced, it works fine, but the wood has become loose over time. I bought a xi2 with plastic sides as a backup. They are fantastic cutters. Super sharp.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I didn't notice that my old no-name cutter was getting dull and then suddenly… wtf??

I now have a new VX on the way.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I'm personally not a fan of the teardrop shaped cutters. Nothing to do with the quality, I just don't like the design itself. Their X8, on the other hand, is awesome. I mainly use a punch anyways, though.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    I'm personally not a fan of the teardrop shaped cutters. Nothing to do with the quality, I just don't like the design itself. Their X8, on the other hand, is awesome. I mainly use a punch anyways, though.
    I always punch unless it is a torpedo. Have my trusty Xi3 for those.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    alienmisprint:
    I always punch unless it is a torpedo. Have my trusty Xi3 for those.
    See, I'm a punch guy myself. I have that fancy Monte Cristo punch/dumbell combo key. I either use my Palio Double G or another Double G Vance sent me
  • Options
    MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    jsnake:
    We all need to meet up. I know jsnake and I talked about it a year ago but never did it.
  • Options
    MESKC:
    jsnake:
    We all need to meet up. I know jsnake and I talked about it a year ago but never did it.
    Ok, so you, Jsnake, Brian, and myself? Who else is in the area?
  • Options
    MESKC:
    jsnake:
    We have to make this happen. Just need a heads up so I can make sure I am in town.