Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    kuzi16:
    Martel:
    Any idea what makes DPG Blue so much better after aging in contrast to other ligero heavy cigars? I've only tried it "fresh" and its a borderline smoke for me. I almost love it but something just doesn't sit right in my mouth. Every. Time. So much to like, but something just turns me off. But I'm curious what quality might make this blend age well even though it has a high ligero ratio when other cigars wouldn't?
    i have no idea why DPG blue ages well. maybe it is the vast experience of DPG. maybe it has to do with the type of ligero used. maybe it isnt as ligero as we think it is and they are just using sungrown seco, maybe its just luck.

Interesting.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    3-19-14 been in humidor since 2-13-14
    Smoking Jacket Robusto Imperial (5x52)
    Wrapper: Brazilian Cubra
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan, Peruvian
    Blender: Hendrik Kelner Jr.

The Smoking Jacket was first seen at the 2013 IPCPR in the Davidoff booth. This is hardly a surprise since Hendrik Kelner Jr is the son of Davidoff's master blender and he worked at Davidoff for 20 years. The cigar is only being distributed through Davidoff and is And is otherwise an independent Kelner Jr project (though there are rumors of Kelner “Family tobacco”). The cigar is being made in a new factory in Santiago, Dominican Republic called Kelner Boutique Facroty. This is the first cigar released by the factory.

This cigar has two separate wrappers depending on vitola. The Favoritos (6 x 46) and the Short Robusto (4.5 x 56) have Dominican Couti wrapper and the Toro Magno (7 x 50) and the Robusto Imperial (5 x 52) have a Brazilian Cubra wrapper. This should give very different experiences depending on the vitola being smoked.

The Robusto Imperial was the last to be blended. It was actually completed at one point and a few of them made it out into the hands a few lucky souls, but this is not that blend. This cigar was re-blended after rumors of it release started. Kelner Jr explains that the original blend for this size was good but there was a need to make it better. So they did.

The wrapper of this cigar is about the same hue and color as a brown paper bag. There is a light tooth to it. The seems are difficult to see and lay near flat. The head is very rounded and the triple cap looks flawless and smooth. A red, black, and gold band with the lapels of a smoking jacket adorn the front. On the glue side of the band in white script the words “Smoking Jacket” identify the cigar.

the cigar is very firm in the hand and the slight tooth feels like a soft sandpaper. The bouquet is old wood and maybe a bit on the bakers chocolate side. Moistening the cap brings a slightly tart and spicy flavor under the wood notes that are already there. Cut with a double guillotine. The draw has the right amount of resistance and is full of coco and roasted grain flavors.

Toast and light with a soft flame.
    The first few draws are deep roasted notes with a sweet feeling. The sweet notes are on the woody side. Through the nose there is some light spice.
    As the cigar settles in the sweeter wood notes are abundant. There is a very earthy undertone to it all. These flavors are intense and seem like they are trying to become a spice note. However, the only place spice actually shows up is through the nose. The retrohale is a sweeter version of the classic Nicaraguan profile. The sweet is very difficult to describe. The closest comparison is a “candied cedar” flavor. The Peruvian tobacco is prime suspect for this woody sweetness.

By the middle third, the flavors seem to fit together very well. The balance is well done and the sweetness, now almost caramel in feel, rounds the wood out and lingers to keep the hint at spice from becoming too much. The finish is relatively short but if it was longer it would be too much. The flavors are not anything that cannot be found other places, but the balance is just remarkable.

The final third builds some. There is almost a cinnamon quality added to the initial flavors. The sweet makes this work. The finish has picked up a note of spice that is boarder-line harsh. Even with this, the cigar is still quite enjoyable. Beyond that this last third is uneventful. Not a bad thing. Why change something good?
    The cigar ends this way.

Burn to the nub
    time 1 hour 45 minutes.

burn: 10
    draw: 10
    taste: 9
    aftertaste: 9
    construction: 10
    balance: 10
    feel: 9

overall: 9.5

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't have described it any better Kuzi !
    Loved them so much i bought a box !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    And now, another brand for me to consider! Would you mind letting me know where you got it (or where it's available)?
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a must try. Thanks, kuzi. Did not know the wrappers varied by vitola, cool!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    And now, another brand for me to consider! Would you mind letting me know where you got it (or where it's available)?
    Pmed
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    curtpick:
    wwhwang:
    Pmed
    Got it. Thanks so much, curt.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review Kuz. I've been eyeing the stuff KBF is putting out and you are making the decision to purchase a little easier.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice review now time too find some!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoy these as well. Great review
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Sounds like a must try. Thanks, kuzi. Did not know the wrappers varied by vitola, cool!
    now i need to try the other wrapper.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Intersting, I have the Favoritos (I believe) in the humi. Will have to give it a review myself. As always Kuzi loved the review.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Smoking Jacket has been on my radar for a while now, as have all of HKJ cigars. They seem to be getting rave reviews. 9.5 must be one of your higher scoring reviews.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:
    now i need to try the other wrapper.
    I think I'm gonna grab one of each
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    The Smoking Jacket has been on my radar for a while now, as have all of HKJ cigars. They seem to be getting rave reviews. 9.5 must be one of your higher scoring reviews.
    it is one of my higher ratings.
    two years (2012) ago my top cigar got a 9.6 (Elogio Serie Habano) and last year (2013) my top cigar got a 9.5 (Avo The Dominant 13th)

so a 9.5 puts it in contention for a top review of 2014

just for reference:
    Avo 22 got a 9.7, OpusX got a 9.5, and Davidoff Maduro R got a 9.6

• Options
    3-31-14 been in humidor since 11-22-11
    La Flor Dominicana Factory Press IV (6.5 x 60)
    Wrapper: Mexican Maduro
    Binder: Ecuadorian
    Filler: Dominican (La Canela Farm)
    Blender: Litto Gomez

The fourth blend of the Factory Press was released in Late November of 2011. This time around La Flor Dominicana used a Mexican wrapper, which is something that separates it not only from all other Factory Press editions, but all other cigars the brand has to offer. This changing up the wrapper should be expected to a degree because each Factory Press edition actually has its own unique blend and one single size. The IV comes in at a monstrous 6.5 x 60. This ties it in size with the first release of the Factory press (2005), and makes it larger than either the II (6 x 54) or the III (6.25 x 58).

The original concept behind the Factory Press was not just an extreme box-pressed cigar; It was to show how the process of box pressing a cigar to this degree is done. Each box of Factory press is the actual press used in the factory to press the cigars. The cigars are put into the box when still wet immediately after the roll and pressed to shape. The press is designed specifically to create a very well defined corner with some describing it with “sharp” edges. This is accomplished by having the press be a mold for each individual cigar.

This differs from the original box press cigar. It is theorized that in Cuba, cigars that were box pressed were wet packed in the retail cigar box just after rolling. The pliability of the cigar itself and the force of the cigar pushing on each other in the box would gently flatten the cigars on all sides making the cigar a box shape with rounded corners.

This particular Factory Press has been resting since 11-22-11, just days after release. The edges are still sharp and the band is creased along the edge of the press. The sides are not as flat as the day it came out of the box, but the curvature is very slight. The press has stuck with it. The wrapper has an oily sheen and a slightly oily feel. It is dark and fairly even in hue. This cigar is very large. The size and extreme press, in conjunction, make this a relatively difficult cigar to hold in a relaxing manor.

The smell of the cigar before it is lit is a bit on the sweet side but it also has a very light compost note. It is all very light in nature, especially for La Flor Dominicana, who is known for strong cigars. This is probably due to some of the age of the cigar. The lick on the cap is very oily on the lips and tongue. The flavor is barnyard and the feel of the oils linger on the lips. It slowly turns to spice. The clip with the Xi1 is a bit difficult because of the massive size and box press combo, but there is a reward when the cold draw is taken. The flavors are rich and earthy with hints at clove. It is slightly firm.

The toast with a soft flame takes quite a while not only to toast but to ensure an even light. Once evenly lit and puffing commences, there are leathery flavors with a light vegetable style sweetness. Quickly an oak undertone develops. It is there through each part of the puff through the retrohale and lingers into the finish. The main flavor of the retrohale is musty and oak.
    As the cigar settles in there is a slight spice note on the retrohale, but overall this cigar is incredibly smooth. The Oak quality is very enjoyable.

By the mid point the oak has changed over to a more cedar profile in the first half of the puff but on the retrohale the oak can still be noticed. A hint at clove has entered the mix. The burn is by no means perfect but not a single touch up or relight has been needed. The flavors are smooth and enjoyable but decidedly less intense than other LFD offerings. This could be due to just over two years of age or it could be blended to be slightly less intense. The body is still full but the flavor is just shy of.

The Final third is a spicier version of the middle third and the leather notes come back slightly. All the wood notes have calmed down considerably. It has built in body and it can be felt in the gut slightly. The cigar is still balanced and smooth but there are no new elements to it that can be considered a point of interest.

Its unclear on if the cigar is past its prime or just not dynamic originally. LFD has put out better offerings, especially from limited edition cigars.

Burn to the nub
    time: 2 hours 40 min

burn: 9
    draw: 9
    taste: 8
    aftertaste: 8
    feel: 8

overall: 8.8

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    What do you think about the mouth-feel of a box pressed cigar?
    To me, they feel a bit off and kinda clunky.

That being said,I may be missing out on great cigars by not smoking box-pressed but they are uncomfortable to me.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    i dont care either way.
    i didnt like this one but thats mostly because of how huge it was.
  • Options
    I have one of those sitting in the humi. Im happy to read it isnt as strong as other lfd's; I doubt I could make it through that monster if it was.
  • Options
    Don't think.it was as good either. Lowest scoring LFD in my catalog.
  • Options
    4-12-2014 been in humi since 3-15-2014
    AKA Respect Anchors Aweigh (4.5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder: Honduran Corojo Ligero
    Filler: Dominican Corojo Ligero, Honduran Corojo Ligero

The Respect line of cigars is a line specifically made to honor all branches of the US military. Each vitola actually represents a different branch of the military. This particular vitola is to honor the navy. Every branch is included and there are also vitolas to honor those who have fallen. A percentage of sales go to the Wounded Warrior Project and the company supports CigarsForWarriors.net.

This line of cigars has two different blends. This is because the line was reblended in 2013. The specimen under review here is the original blend with the Ecuadorian Habano and not the new blend with a Criollo wrapper. The New wrapper came about because the company ran out of old wrapper. Rather than reblend the cigar without telling anyone, AKA was truthful and honest. Respect is not just for the military, but also the people spending their hard earned money on a cigar.

With the reblend of the line there also came new sizes. The 4.5 x 52 version of the Anchors Aweigh went away and was replaced with the 6.5 x 54 version. The old blend is a bolder blend, where as the new blend is more designed for refinement.

Both the old and new blends have tobaccos from two of the biggest names in cigar tobacco around. There is Dominican tobacco from the Kelner farms and there is true corojo leaf from the Honduran farms of Eiroa.

Looking at the AKA respect, the first thing to pop out is the striking high contrast double band. Bot bands are silver and black. The main band only reads “AKA” and the secondary band is the name of the cigar. In true American form, it is bold. The cigar itself is very dark. Save from one giant vein running down the entire side, the cigar is very smooth and it has an oily sheen. The large ring and short length of the cigar give it a very stout look.

In the hand the cigar feels firm and oily. The smell is a very heavy barnyard and earth. A lick on the cap is slightly sweet. This sweet fades to a mild spice. The cut is with a double guillotine. The firm draw is coco and very mildly rye bread.

A light with a soft flame brings on initial puffs of cedar and damp earth. The cedar is a touch musky and lightly bitter. Through the nose there is more of the cedar musk and a bit of spice. As the cigar settles in the bitter goes away and the cedar through the nose becomes a bit pungent. It is sharp and a bit over done. The earth undertones on the palate keep it from being a real problem. A mild spice lingers on the palate after the smoke is expelled. Though slightly out of balance, the mouth coating flavors make the mouth water. This keeps things interesting and inspire further puffing.

The mid point has a much more subtle feel. The flavors are all there just much more mild and balanced. A slight sweetness develops, but it is not heavy handed. There is little in the way of complexity but the flavors that are there are nice. The finish is a bit long but it is only sweet earth and not very oppressive.

The final third does not develop much more. As strange as this may seem, this is a good thing. Many cigars tend to get hot or harsh in the final third. This one does not. It stays smooth. It stays manageable, and therefor, enjoyable; perfect for sitting around a fire pit with friends making good use of the freedom of speech.

Burn to the burn
    time 1 hour 45 min

taste: 8
    balance: 8

overall: 8.7

• Options
    4-16-2014 been in humidor since 1-29-2014
    Ram
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Great review. I will now add this to my buy list and get some. I have really enjoyed the Genesis that you sent for my christmas secret santa a couple of years back (got one of those left). I've been wanting to try the Odyssey and your review put me over the top for trying it. Once again, great review and a big Thanks!
  • Options
    San Cristobol de la Habana La Punta(5.5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Cuba
    Binder: Cuba
    Filler: Cuba
    Box Code: MLO SEP 11

The San Cristobol de la Habana marca is a post-revolution brand that began in 1999. It takes its name from a very pre-revolution source, the original name of Havana. The city was originally named after St Christopher. This city was the way into the Island and was protected by four forts. Each of the four original regular production cigars in this line were named after one of the forts protecting the city.

This particular cigar is named after the fort Catillo San Salvador de la Punta. This fort protected the opening of the bay of Havana Cuba. The castle begins its history in 1559 when lookouts were posted there. In 1582 it was actually built and became one of the main fortresses in the area. It sits directly across the bay opening from Morro Castle. El Morro is the largest vitola of the line.

Though the naming of this cigar has many historical ties to the island, this cigar is in no relation to the pre-revolution cigar brand of the same name. San Cristobol de la Habana cigars all use tobacco grown in the premier tobacco growing region of Vuelta Abajo and are made in the La Corona Factory.

The cigar is a classic Cuban Pyramid shape. It is a medium tan in color, not unlike a brown paper bag. The wrapper seems thin and frail, with a few chips around the foot. The band is cream and brown and gold

The wrapper has a very slight tooth that only is noticed when held. There is a light earth and licorice smell to the cigar unlit. The lick on the pointed cap has a drying effect and a flavor that can only be described as“autumn afternoon” that fades into a slight spice. After a clip with a double guillotine there is a nice draw with notes of baking spices, cinnamon, clove. This aspect is quite enjoyable.

toast with a soft flame.
    The first few draws are a soft woody flavor with a very mild white pepper. Through the nose there is the unmistakable sharp earth that comes from Cuban tobacco. The finish is this sharp earth but it fades into a dusty musk. The flavors are light and balanced with little finish.

As the cigar settles in there is a very nice cedar note that develops as the main flavor. The soft white pepper remains and mixes nicely with the cedar. The finish picks up an earth note, again with clove impressions. The retrohale is where this shines. The white pepper comes out more but with zero burn as it is pushed through the nose. The sharp earth falls to the background in the retrohale. The balance of this cigar is excellent.

Entering the middle third, the cigar becomes much more cedar in nature. A slight salt that fits well with the soft white pepper develops. Much of the earth has shifted to the nutty side of things.It is still unbelievably smooth even through the nose.

The final third is much like the middle third save for a mild coffee like bitter added to the mix as the smoke is expelled. The nutty flavors come on stronger as well, mostly in the finish. The last few puffs are slightly warm and the slightest hint of harsh is signal that the cigar is done

burn to the nub
    Time 1 hour 50 min

aftertaste: 9
    construction: 9

overall: 9.1

• Options
    Sigh...almost every review Matt puts out, I have to add more stuff to the wishlist :P
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    +1
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried these yet? The original Fusion was pretty darned good, marrying both the Vintage '90 and '92 but then, in typical Patel fashion, those were discontinued and this new version appeared. I'd be curious to hear the opinion(s) of anyone who's tried the new one.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Has anyone tried these yet? The original Fusion was pretty darned good, marrying both the Vintage '90 and '92 but then, in typical Patel fashion, those were discontinued and this new version appeared. I'd be curious to hear the opinion(s) of anyone who's tried the new one.

I just realized that I broke into Kuzi's thread here. Sorry, Matt. It wasn't intentional. If I knew how to move it elsewhere, I would.
  • Options
    The Griffin's Classic No.300 (6.5 x 44)
    Wrapper: Connecticut seed Ecuadorian grown
    Binder: Dominican grown Pelo de Oro Seco
    Filler: San Vicente Seco, Piloto Visus and Olor Visus Aroma Intense Cibao Valley Dominican Republic.
    Blender: Hendrik Kelner

The Griffin's is a brand that is not as often mentioned when talking about the Davidoff group. Davidoff, Avo, and Zino lines seem to come to mind first. Though The Griffin's is not as marketing heavy as Davidoff, Avo, and Zino they are connected. One of the big connections between these brands is the blender, Hendrik Kelner, and this cigar was one of his early releases that can still be found almost unchanged from the original blend. The blend has its place in cigar history; a place where two of the biggest names in the cigar world met up and formed one of the largest cigar companies today.

The Griffin's Brand first appeared in 1984. This makes it older than any other of the above mentioned Kelner blends currently on the market. The Davidoff brand moved out of Cuba and began selling cigars in the US in 1990. Avo was founded in 1986 and the current incarnation of Zino was released in 2003 (thought he brand was founded in 1970s there was a re-blend of all of the lines just after the year 2003).

It started with a man named Bernard Grobet.
    Bernard Grobet was a night club owner who owned a place called The Griffin's Club. In 1984 he decided to create an elite cigar that would be a club exclusive. He hooked up with Hendrik Kelner who had recently opened his own cigar factory near Santiago, in the Dominican Republic. Kelner was willing to make cigars for the Club. The Griffin's brand was born. The cigar was received very well and became known through out Switzerland for refinement and complexity. Grobet was known for his enthusiasm and passion for fine cigars among the Swiss elites and was even known by legendary cigar maker Zino Davidoff.

By 1989 Grobet's “The Griffin's” line was being distributed by Ottinger Imex to the Swiss and US markets. This happened to be the time that Zino Davidoff (whose brand was owned by Ottinger) was feuding with Cubatobaco over the, at the time, Cuban Davidoff brand. Grobet introduced Davidoff to Kelner witch aided Davidoff move production from Cuba to the Dominican Republic. Since then Kelner has been producing cigars for the Davidoff brand.

The Griffin's Classic has a nice tan wrapper with a few thin veins that do not seem to dominate the leaf. The seems are seen but are very consistent and the triple cap is the quality expected from the factory. The band is gold, white, and black. The white background is very stark with hard line black lettering. The metallic gold comes into play with the picture of the griffin in the center.

The band is exceedingly difficult to get off of the cigar, and when removed there is a very slight indentation where the band was. Cold, this cigar has a heavy hey scent. It is strong and there is little else to speak of as far as scent goes. Moistening the cap brings on a spicy note that seems like a very strong hey flavor. The wrapper leaf feels smooth on the lips and tongue. Once clipped with a double guillotine the draw has a light resistance. This cannot be described as “difficult” but at worst, “firm.” The cold draw has notes of mushroom but with a licorice style sweetness to it. These flavors on the light are very light.

Xikar EX to light.
    The first few puffs are on the sweet side of cedar with a mild pepper up front. Through the nose there is a slightly spicy musk that is mushroom and cedar. The finish is delicate but long; a combination that is not often seen. This finish has a slight spice to it as well. As the first third progresses the wood notes pick up and the retrohale becomes decidedly more dusty and mushroom. The spice is only an impression, making this cigar extremely smooth.

The middle third is the same profile as above with an overall increase of flavor. Heavy wood, mushroom, and dustiness prevail. The only real change is that there is a slight increase in spice. This spice is soft but definitively black pepper. This is mostly a lingering flavor on the finish.

The final third picks up a dryness. It really brings out the black pepper flavor, but not the heat. The room note is fantastic. Very woody and light. The cigar does grow in intensity and flavor and in this final third it is a medium body. It has also lost some of its smoothness but it does not qualify as harsh.

burn to the nub
    time: 1hour 45min

burn: 10
    construction: 9
    balance: 9
    feel: 8

overall: 8.8

• Options
    Thanks for the reviews. I did like the griffins that I have smoked, but avos have dominated my humidor. Maybe because as you said the griffins are a little below the radar. Maybe ill grab one tomorrow.