Home General Discussion
Options

What do yall tell your kids

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
When they say something about smoking? Our little girl (3yrs old) has been talking about smoking like daddy.
What have been some if your responses?
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been smoking since before my kids were born. I just tell them straight up. "These are Daddy's cigars, you can't touch them till your older." My son use to pick things up and put it up to his mouth and pretend he was smoking a cigar. I didn't stop him. We weren't bothered by it. It was a phase.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    When they say something about smoking? Our little girl (3yrs old) has been talking about smoking like daddy.
    Well...I don't know if I'm in the same boat as my botl but in my family and extended familyI'm the ONLY one who smokes cigars. My daughter 2, points out side and says Dada...tink! It's funny but her mama always says the same of me. Sighhhhh..man I got no clue what to say but I keep it covert as I can smoking while they are in bed etc...when they're older?????????? Good question,.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    my kids are older and i had a frank discussion with them about the differences in tobacco products and the repercussions. Once they saw the data they didn't really care. Luckily i picked it up when my kids were old enough to have a reasonable conversation with them.

My buddy has small children and he never smokes when they are awake and his humidor is downstairs on his workbench where they don't pose a problem. He is curbing his cigar smoking to keep those questions at bay.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    this s a funny thing, my son around 6-7yrs was asking me to save him the little cigars, now that he's 11yrs does not even care, my oldest doesn't say anything either,
    now the 4yr old always takes the cigar mags and pretends to shop for me, telling me she got this and that cigar or i should say "gars" for me.
    i dont smoke in the house so not a big deal, mainly smoke on my way to and from work, and cigar lounges, so the kids don't really see me smoking.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I'm a pretty casual smoker (1-3 per week) and I have a soon-to-be 3 year old. She sees my cigars, sees me open the boxes and sees me smoke. She's never really questioned it besides saying, "Daddy is smokin a cigar Momma!" She also used to think I was a dragon! I'm sure when she gets a little older we'll have to have a talk, but, truth be told, I wouldn't touch a cigarette or chew. Cigars and pipes are different.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always found it best to be up-front and open in talking with my kids. My 12-year old doesn't like the smell of cigar smoke, so there's no problem with him wanting to imitate his old man. We've talked about tobacco and the difference between cigars and cigarettes, and he understands that there are some activities that are for adults.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    I got a 19 year old daughter who could care less, almost two year old twin boys who are really too young to notice right now and a three year old girl who is well aware of it all. I am a Skoal dipper and she calls it daddy's yucky my biggest fear with this is one day she or the boys might mistake my "yucky bottle" for a refreshing beverage but she is usually really good about knowing it's "daddy's yucky" and leaves it alone.

With the cigars to my three year old girl, she knows if daddy smokes a stinky she gets to go out side and play while daddy's smokes his stinky cigar on the porch or swing bench near her play set while i watch her do her thing. Sometimes she likes to cconvince me to smoke one if I'm not in the mood to just go play with her.

I usually smoke one to maybe as much as four or five in a week. Prob one of my favorite places to smoke is in my wood shop when I can be by my self but unfortunately my wife will bring the kids out there cause they want to be around daddy but it's hard to keep everyone out of the second hand smoke in an enclosed shop so I have to put the cigar away until they leave.
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    My parents never really explained cigarettes to me. I formed my own negative opinion on cigars. I did get to try a pipe once but didn't care much for it. My parents pretty much told me that smoking was bad and told me they got into a bad habit. I guess you could tell her that you got into a bad habit that she doesn't need to start or something along those lines? I don't know really. I'm not a parent so I really wouldn't know.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have kids yet, but I have a nephew whom is almost 3. I smoke at least one cigar a day, including at family parties. Today Colleen and I had family over for dinner we had relatives in from out of town for the forth, any way I took a cigar to the back and River pointed at it sitting unlit on the ashtray and said uncle. My sister was not happy with me. I am no longer allowed to smoke around him.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell them they are for adults and nasty smelly things. To keep their hands away from them and when they are old enough, then they can make a decision on what they like.
    We had an uncle when I was younger that was never without a cigar.
    He was always stationed with in 100 miles of where my dad was stationed and we had family get togethers a lot.
    I'm the only one who smokes cigars of my brothers and sisters and didn't start smoking continuously until my 30s. And mostly because my step dad and I would smoke in the wheel house of the fishing vessel together. He constantly smoked a pipe.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I worry about this too. As of now, my daughter is too young to notice (15mo), but something tells me she'll be asking questions like "why daddy?" in the near future.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until they are 18 they make no decisions on their own when it comes to such things.

Until they are 21 and paying their own way they will not smoke anything in our house.

That daddy is XX years old, worked 2 and 3 jobs all his life, paid taxes all his life and has earned the right to enjoy a cigar.

That quitting cigarettes was a long and very hard thing to do.

That waiting for maturity, experience and knowledge to make a personal decision about drinking and smoking is a smart thing and you can wait, it ain't that long.

And above all, bowing to peer pressure means you are a follower, and decision by "well so and so does it", is a sure sign of you have not learned to stand on your own 2 feet....
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice and stories fellas. I appreciate it.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I grew up in a smoking family. Dad smoked cigars a pipe and chewed tabacco. Mom and aunts all smoked cigarettes. Old man left his plug of chewing tobacco out once and I took a big old bite, cured me of that, I was about 5. Got permission to smoke when I was 13 years old, but didn't really smoke all that much. Things were different back then but it was always understood that alcohol and tobacco were for adults. We were also more of a smoking society then as opposed to today too. I remember my uncle going in the hospital for surgery with a carton of cigs under his arm.
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    My time to relax... oldest hates the smell and thinks I'm killing myself. Youngest grabs my lighter when my humi opens. Different reactions from each of the 5. But I always tell them to think research and make up their mind. Don't let anyone think for you. Older kids understand the younger just think Dad is funny.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I are both heavy smokers, so were seen smoking all the time by the kids. I had wondered if this would be an influence on them especially since my older son likes to check out cigar stuff with me all the time. My little one has no intrest in smoking at all, in fact he finds Moms smoking a pain and my pipe smoking hilarious. My older son while I imagine he will pick up a cigar someday, sees them as moment makers more then a habit.

Im pretty sure most kids are well aware smoking is bad, even at fairly young ages.

My Parents were completly non smokers... and I can honestly remember being scolded when I was young about "play" smoking or questions about it. I knew then i was destined to smoke... i just wanted it, regardless of the consequences. I think most of us knew right out at a young age we were going to smoke. And with kids the way they are these days... you have to give them more credit then we think

Aj