Home General Discussion

its tax return season!

Hey everyone its that time of the year again. I got em filed early this year, and because of that the better half has given me a $125 budget to spend on some cigars! My humidor is pretty empty and I really want to branch out a bit. Most of what I have tried are rocky patels, olivas, kristoffs, one or two gurkas and a few other brands that escape me. So I wanted to get a sampler with the best bang for my buck. I'm still pretty new to this hobby, so I'm not exactly sure what my palette is yet, but I just want to try them all! What would you guys suggest would be the best combination for the best bang for my buck, and what if any do you guys have planned for your return this year? Anything exciting? Thanks for the help everyone and I look forward to hearing what your guys have planned as well, cigar related or not!

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Must be nice...my whole return is going towards credit cards!
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My federal return will go to pay my state taxes. Booring.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    The vetrans will give you better answers as I am a N3WB as well, but I can say the CCOM COTM cigar of the month, has sent me 5 (plus a lighter and some Cohibas) but 4 out of the 5 have been absolutely great (and the one I havent smoked was a cigar of the year), I dont know if theyre gonna keep up the excellence for Feb, but I cant wait to find out. This is Januarys haul Nat Sherm Epoca Cabaiguan Guapos Joya de Nicaraugua RED Cuvee Rouge Casa Magna (COTY) The top four are greatness, but everyones pallet is different, beauty is in the eye of the INHALER, I wanna know what the vets say as well..... I have my eye on several samplers from various sites
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call Ccom and talk to the reps and have them build a custom sampler for you, they are amazing about that stuff!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    I'd call Ccom and talk to the reps and have them build a custom sampler for you, they are amazing about that stuff!
    +1, solid advice.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +1, solid advice.
    This, or pay attention to the dd and weekend blitz.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +1, solid advice.
    This, or pay attention to the dd and weekend blitz.
    This. While I don't always follow my own advice, I like to always try 3 of a cigar before passing judgment on it. My reviews are often the first time through, but if I like it, I want to try at least one more before I even consider a box because I want to eliminate variables from my enjoyment of a single stick to see if I will enjoy it under many circumstances. The custom sampler has some great cigars to choose from. Since you can't duplicate in one sampler, you have to buy at least two identical samplers. But if you call they might give you a discount if you buy two or three of these. They might even let you go "off list". Worth a shot.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Rain:
    I feel you on that! Bills is where most of it is going as well man. Only get this cause I managed a lucky deal with one of the creditors hah! I think I will def call up CCOM and see what we can do! I would def be interested in hearing more opinions and ideas. Was even thinking about the thrifty fifty deals as well.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crousefer:
    Rain:
    I feel you on that! Bills is where most of it is going as well man. Only get this cause I managed a lucky deal with one of the creditors hah! I think I will def call up CCOM and see what we can do! I would def be interested in hearing more opinions and ideas. Was even thinking about the thrifty fifty deals as well.
    In my opinion I would not get the thrifty fifty. Again this is Soley my opinion, I feel as though by describing what you know you like and your budget ccom will hook you with a much better for you sampler.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the nifty fifty is good but I would recommend the award winning sampler!!ive done it in the past and been pretty happy .don't get as many cigars but for 60 bucks you get allbig name cigars and ones you can easily find out their flavor profiles to figure out what you like,
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    the nifty fifty is good but I would recommend the award winning sampler!!ive done it in the past and been pretty happy .don't get as many cigars but for 60 bucks you get allbig name cigars and ones you can easily find out their flavor profiles to figure out what you like,
    and PM to you scott
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Return? What's a return? The IRS says we owe them $370,000.00 because an F3 ate everything we owned.

I digress.

Buy samplers, any of them. They are often good mixes of different flavors, shapes and sizes. You will learn pretty quick where you tastes are lurking. And please, the next humidor you buy (there will be a next), get the biggest you can store and afford.

PS Be careful of twistedstem, he is on a one man mission to make sure everyone reads more.
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twistedstem:

+1. The latest magazine has the award sampler details. We also did the thrifty fifty which gives you a few of most of the sticks so you can try more than once. Both were good starters for us.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +1, solid advice.
    #1 just give them idea of what you've tried and what you've liked.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    The Ccom reps are great at what they do and if you have identified some of your likes and dislikes they can definitely accommodate. If you want a solid sampler that will expose you to a bit of everything, check out their awards sampler. That's where I started last year and it was worthwhile. Some mild, medium, strong. Some budget and some premiums. Full spectrum. One sampler.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The customer service here will hook you up. They can work magic for sure. Personally I am hunting down a box of Viaje and some Caldwell's Eastern Standard or Long Live The King and maybe a winador.
    jsnake:
    The customer service here will hook you up. They can work magic for sure. Personally I am hunting down a box of Viaje and some Caldwell's Eastern Standard or Long Live The King and maybe a winador.
    LMAO why am I not surprised Jake? :P
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    The cigar shop I go to has Long Live the King and the King is Dead. I didn't know they were hard to find.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Dang it Jake, now you got me thinking about a wineador as well.
    Eulogy:
    jsnake:
    The cigar shop I go to has Long Live the King and the King is Dead. I didn't know they were hard to find.
    Well I can't find them in KC so for me they are HTF. Would be so nice to set up something where guys could help each other out based on local inventory. Had a shop here liquidate Viaje because no one bought them but me and a few other guys. I bought their remaining inventory but you can't keep them on the shelves in many places. Different regions seem to have different likes and dislikes.

CharlieHeis:
    jsnake:
    You can buy them with shelves and drawers already made even at Best Buy! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whynter-1-2-cu-ft-cigar-cooler-humidor-stainless-steel/8828016.p?id=1219375117286&skuId=8828016
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    on a somewhat related note --- anybody see Sean's email from today ???

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I could put together a pretty good sampler if you wanted to go that route.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Eulogy:
    jsnake:
    Well I can't find them in KC so for me they are HTF. Would be so nice to set up something where guys could help each other out based on local inventory. Had a shop here liquidate Viaje because no one bought them but me and a few other guys. I bought their remaining inventory but you can't keep them on the shelves in many places. Different regions seem to have different likes and dislikes.

CharlieHeis:
    jsnake:
    You can buy them with shelves and drawers already made even at Best Buy! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whynter-1-2-cu-ft-cigar-cooler-humidor-stainless-steel/8828016.p?id=1219375117286&skuId=8828016
    I can ask if they'll sell a box of them. If not, I could definitely get some singles for you.
    Chuck N:
    You're a true class act Chuck seriously. After payday might need to hit up someone to try and put together a Caldwell sampler. Maybe Ccom can do something there.
    90+ Irishman:
    Chuck N:
    You're a true class act Chuck seriously. After payday might need to hit up someone to try and put together a Caldwell sampler. Maybe Ccom can do something there.
    Let me know if they can. I need some of that too.
    jsnake:
    90+ Irishman:
    Chuck N:
    Will do, if I learn something I will shoot you a PM.
    90+ Irishman:
    jsnake:
    90+ Irishman:
    Chuck N:
    Will do, if I learn something I will shoot you a PM.
    Thanks buddy.
    No problem bro, have to wait and see what payday even looks like tomorrow. Cael's bday is coming up in a few weeks and gotta order his bday presents so it kinda depends on that.
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Eulogy:
    jsnake:

CharlieHeis:
    jsnake:

Check out Amazon too for the winador. That's where I got mine and I used points I had from one of my credit cards!!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20:
    jsnake:
    Eulogy:
    jsnake:

CharlieHeis:
    jsnake:

Check out Amazon too for the winador. That's where I got mine and I used points I had from one of my credit cards!!
    Thanks Jake and Edna. I really want one now.