Home Non Cigar Related

Creative Writing

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
WELL gents, any writers out there? Seems the last conversation I could find on this was way back in 2009 (and I had posted there...I can't effin believe it's 2015 now). I've written quite a bit, been published in a couple collections before (poetry), and when I first left the States I was working on a greater collection of short stories and further poetry. Thought I'd share this piece here that I actually wrote MANY years ago - I feel like I've posted it here before, but I couldn't find it in Search...so, sorry if it's a repost. It's one of my favorites, largely because it's very different from my normal style (and also because most people have NO idea what I'm talking about - but I think y'all might be able to pick up the drift). Bueno, dime amigos!

Ode #4

But a brief moment this morning
To ponder a great beginning
A phantom aroma haunts me
And I find salt on the tongue
A fiery pillar fills my view
And gently defers to molten ember
A glow refracted, distracted
By billowing clouds upon the horizon
Wave upon airy wave drifts along
Obscuring the radiant orb
And yet,
Accentuating it still
The ascension to glorious crescendo
The epic peak, of which we seek
And brilliance washes over ye
To bask in its wonderful glory
Grasp upon it, indulge while you can
For it is ever fleeting
And we are are ever seeking
Alas, the day must wane
And as all things must end
So too shall our heavenly divine
Settling peacefully into ashen night

¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Pretty damn good my man. You didn't start off with roses are red, so it's better than I could have done.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    That's great, the last seven lines are words to live by. Is that an Ode to your morning cigar? Could be lots of things but a cigar came to mind first, could be the venue too.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    That's great, the last seven lines are words to live by. Is that an Ode to your morning cigar? Could be lots of things but a cigar came to mind first, could be the venue too.
    You called it... Man, I've had some incredibly complex, philosophical guesses to the meaning of this poem, and only like 1 other person ever just figured it was about a cigar lol

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As they say in English class, "Ya dun good!" I just wish some of my students could write that well.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    The3Stogies:
    You called it... Man, I've had some incredibly complex, philosophical guesses to the meaning of this poem, and only like 1 other person ever just figured it was about a cigar lol

Well I'm a simple guy maybe that's why. Poems, lyrics, classical music can all be different things to different people but the morning cigar was the first thing I thought of. Could be because this is a cigar forum but maybe not. My days off morning cigars are kind of a ritual, especially in the summer outside. So quiet, birds in the feeder and singing in the tress, sun coming up, okay cue up Cat Stevens' "Morning Has Broken" lol. So it kind of fit my ritual, or maybe my thoughts, but in different words. Excellent poem.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Cigar poetry, very nice!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I liked it, and it inspired me to try.DeathSurrounds meI'm dead#FML
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I used to write a lot in high school. I'll find some stuff and post it later.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done quite a bit of writing in my time. Have three books published - two in the U.S. and one in the U.K. I've also dabbled in poetry over the years, but nothing as cool as your ode to the morning cigar. That was very well done, sir!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Very nicely done! Iv dabbled a bit in fantasy and syfy writings and short stories, buti never get around to working seriously on them. Sometime s i feel life is way to short, or I just have to many dang hobbies.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Crousefer:
    Sometime s i feel life is way to short, or I just have to many dang hobbies.
    Man do I know this feeling! Between travel, golf, tennis, sailing, cigars, booze, reading, watches, hiking (I swear to God I´m not a snob, or rich lol), I know exactly what you mean. I really have to zone in on the things I enjoy and end up pushing other things away. Not enough time in the day!

Thanks for all the nice comments here guys, I appreciate it! Most of my writing tends to end up fairly melodramatic, so that's why I tend to like this one all the more. Doug - what books did you write, man? I'd be curious to see!

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Doug - what books did you write, man? I'd be curious to see!
    I wrote a lot of stuff when I was a pastor. Published a few things on spiritual subjects. My magnum opus can be seen HERE.

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I can when I want to but I don't have those notions anymore, Whaoo is good at putting down words, we had a band when we were younger well if you want to call it that lol more like a few jam sessions.
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody else? 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239

I'm no poet, but I do write, it is for all intents and purposes my forte so to speak.  I was working on a blog--call it a creative writing experiment--a few years back and it was sent to the back burner for a while.  I may pick it up again soon but since we are on the subject, here it is for you guys to read if you want.

http://thelastbuglesounded.blogspot.com/2010/08/chapter-i-sring-thunderstorms.html

Sean L.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a poem from my war memoir.

Reflections in a can of c-rat coffee

How many times

did you sit up with me?

Kindle my thoughts,

be my only friend.

how many times did I ask you

for an answer?

Sitting in my hole at night

waiting together