Home General Discussion

Is this cigar deal one to purchase for a Newbie?

Cigar.com Top 20 Awards Sampler 2015 for $79.99

I do not have the evolved tastes and usually select Mild-Medium to Medium cigars.  I have tried some full strength cigars.  Should I go for it as a Newbie or continue to target less than full strength cigars?  My instincts say yes.  What say ye?

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The my father/DPG sampler on the front page is a good one
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @usaf06. I got the my father sampler awhile back and love it.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @NodakgusThis is a good sampler for the price. Good variety of what is out there (just purchased one myself)  :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I have smoked most of them, but I did not buy the sampler. Separately, I did enjoy the MOW, camacho, perdomo, La aroma. 

If you don't smoke some full strength sticks, you will not be able to evolve your tastes. From my personal experience, i used to LOVE Connecticuts and mild cigars, but since I have been on these forums and exposed to more brands from the members (which I provide a huge thanks to! :) ), I started to enjoy habanos and maduros more.

Personally, when I was smoking full bodies, I would usually have a big meal before hand, like a steak and potatoes.
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad one. Thing I hate about samplers is a lot of the time they have maybe 1 or 2 good sticks in them then throw in not good at all (in my opinion ) cigars to get the quantity up so it appears you getting good a good deal ( and to some you may be, just not me). If there is a Gurkha or Rocky in the sampler I don't buy. A lot of CAO in samplers and haven't had terrible experience with them but nothing to call home about
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If it were between the Top 20 and the My Father deal, I'd take the latter. I did a similar Pepin MF deal a couple years ago. I wasn't overhwhelmed by the La Duenas and La Robelas, but the MFs themselves were top notch. I'm thinking of giving this one another try. As for the Top 20 deal, many of these are the "online only" brands C.com and its sister site promote most heavily in their catalog. I've tried several varieties of Ave Maria, 5 Vegas, Man 'O War and Diesel and have never been overly impressed by them. Of course, your mileage may vary. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get both samplers.

And don't be afraid to call Ccom and explain your situation -  they'll be delighted to put together a sampler for you.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Eh............the MF sampler is the way to go here......
    too many yard gars in the other sampler imho
  • Mackey123Mackey123 Posts: 1
    Of course u can buy that sampler.... As a newbie u should be trying every reasonable deal passing by..... Especially with world renowned "good" cigars.... Test your palate out and see what u like
  • NodakgusNodakgus Posts: 21
    Bought the MF.  I have various strengths, sizes, etc. I have about 35 cigars smoked in my very short career with this fine hobby.  Had a Gurkha Titan the other day that was quite enjoyable.  
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good choice
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nodakgus said:
    Bought the MF.  I have various strengths, sizes, etc. I have about 35 cigars smoked in my very short career with this fine hobby.  Had a Gurkha Titan the other day that was quite enjoyable.  
    Good choice. The MF sampler does wonders for your apreciation of yummy stogies.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    Had the MF Le Bijoe last night.  Quite enjoyable!  Did not burn hot.  Very smooth and satisfying.  Smoked it while taking the 8-month old puppy pointer for a walk.  I think the puppy needs another long walk tonight with another MF from this sampler set! :D
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What breed of pointer?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    What breed of pointer?
    German Short-haired.  We have two now.  We previously had a 3rd who passed many years ago.  Great breed!  Quite energetic, excellent family dog, guard dog and all-around companion! :)
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one of them as a child. Beautiful dogs. And a picture perfect point. He was so much fun to hunt with.  :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...