Home Pipes

Sooo... Thinking of trying a pipe.

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
My grandpa and great uncle smoked pipes and I remember the smells vividly. My dad dabbles in pipes but mostly sticks to cigars.
I love my cigars but sometimes I don't have the hour to finish one so I'm think that a pipe might allow for some of the same relaxation.
So...where do I start? I think I have a corn cob pipe laying around in storage somewhere.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might start by buying some pipe cleaners, a pipe tamper, and some Lane 1Q pipe tobacco blend and see if you take to it.  
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    You might start by buying some pipe cleaners, a pipe tamper, and some Lane 1Q pipe tobacco blend and see if you take to it.  
    Thanks! I wasn't sure about all the tools needed other than tobacco and a lighter.
    Why the Lane 1Q blend?
    edited March 2016
    The Lane 1Q blend is AFAIK the best selling tobacco blend out there.  I just recently tried it and it's pretty good.  When you go to a B&M they'll have their own "house" blends with different names and it's usually just the Lane 1Q blend.

It helps to have a soft flame lighter or matches to avoid scorching the pipe.  I made a pipe rest out of an old belt (you'll see commercial examples of this online) and use the corks out of liquor bottles (the kind with a larger wooden base) for pipe knockers.  Just was giving you the minimum you'd need to go on.

If you don't have a local B&M you can try a drugstore that sells tobacco and pick up some pouches to try.  I'm not much of an aromatic pipe tobacco smoker and I've heard that some of those like cherry can be pretty goopy and disappointing, but YMMV.  I like blends with Latakia in them and blends I like are Early Morning Pipe, Squadron Leader, Three Oaks Syrian, Bengal Slices, Mixture 965, but I haven't tried all that many different blends.

You can save money by buying in bulk (like the Lane 1Q) and jar them up or just buy in tins.  If you go for tins, use them up in about a month or transfer the tobacco to a small canning jar to keep them fresh longer.  Some people buy the heavier tobacco blends and age them like aging cigars, sometimes for five years or longer, but this is a bit of a rabbit hole, you probably just want to put your toe in the water right now.

Thanks for all the info!!!
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO aromatics are not the best way to get started. they are more temperamental and can be very frustrating for a beginner. Get a pipe tool and a couple of cob pipes,  send me your addy and I will put together a small sampler for you. If you decide you like it I have a few pipes I can send your way as well. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly suggest the pipe route. Very enjoyable!

Tons of info on YouTube if you are looking to learn. It truly is a massive resource.

I haven't done the corncob route, I have several estate pipes (read: sourced from antique stores) and have picked up the 30-40 buck pipes from the local B&Ms

Enjoy!!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nate introduced me to pipes and I love them when it's cold. They work perfect for me a couple of months and it's cigars the other 10.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danger, you are embarking on another slippery slope, don't ask me how I know.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I enjoy a pipe probably once or twice a week when I dont have the time for a cigar.  I cant really give recommendations on tobacco yet as I am still learning but there are some really good ones and start cheap on the pipe to get started.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Reviving this topic:

At this point, after researching pipes, I am interested in starting, but I feel the same way when I was purchasing cigars for the first time.

Could someone elaborate more on pipes?

-Why are stem length different?
    -What is the point of different bowl sizes?
    -How do you clean a pipe?
    -Difference between a corncob, meerschaum , or briar pipe?
    -What are aromatics? Why are they harder for beginners to smoke?
    -What pipe tools do you need and what are they used for?
    -Any suggestions for blends?
    -Are there mild and full body blends?
    -Can you mix blends to create your own?
    -Is pipe tobacco short or long filler? 
    -I heard a rumor that you need to twists the tobacco when packing it in a bowl. True?
    -How do you pack a bowl?
    -What kind of lighter. Soft flame or jet?
    -Do you char the tobacco as you do a cigar?
    -How should pipe tobacco be stored? In a humidor?

How do make this text turn upside down?
    oh, wow, you definitely know enough to ask really good questions! I'll answer more in a while, going for a walk on the beach now.
    sheesh, can't even print s.h.a.g on this forum.
    Good post @silvermouse
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Being a cigar guy and giving the pipe a try for the cold days I was underwhelmed. I was hoping the pipe would be close to a cigar and it was not. I tried a bunch of stuff and well SG xxl rope and Virginia flake were best suited for me. I still smoke a bowl now and again but I bought a crap load of cigarillos for the cold. Pipes are harder then cigars since there are more tobacco blends a ton of pipes and companies and a learning curve for cigar guys. 
    Money can't buy taste
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great info.  I still prefer a cigar over a pipe, but it adds a nice variety once in a while.  Haven't fully committed to an expensive pipe yet.

If you are hesitant, I would say get a corn cob and a pack of Captain Black Royal.  Probably $10 for both and you can see if you like smoking it first.  The Royal has a good flavor, easy to find, and smokes well in my opinion.  I love the 1Q, but it is a pain to smoke (doesn't burn very well)
    Dry out the 1Q a bit first. 

• CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info especially @silvermouse;!

I went to a pipe shop, "El Humidor" and talked with the resident pipe expert, Doc who gave me a thorough guide on pipe smoking, packing, cleaning, and refinishing.  He pointed me towards estate pipes for a clencher. I went with a Dr Grabow Briar pipe and got 4 ounces of house tobacco that Doc blends himself, called Doc's Blend for a daily smoke and Butter Rum for the mornings. 

After smoking a few days I notice the pipe tobacco I bought is more mellow than my cigars but more convenient. I can light up, take a few puffs, choke it out, and save it for later. One bowl lasts me all day and the smoke smells amazing! I will have to experiment with more blends. 

Can anyone recommend a full bodied blend?

Anyway the pipe:
    I have no idea why the pic is sideways....  :#

How do make this text turn upside down?
    pm your shipping address, I've got a few tins to send you that are full bodied. 
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Dunhill nite cap, it's very good to me. You can get it in bulk on C.com for a good deal 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, i've been lurking around this section of the forum for a couple of weeks now. I've been reading just about everything. Good stuff guys. Took the plunge and got a cob and a shape it yourself briar blank and some 1Q. I've been turning and sculpting wood for a living for many years so shaping a pipe will be fun and i have the tools to do it.. I'm thinking Bulldog for my first one maybe a free form after that.. The 1Q is a bit mild for me so i took a couple of leaves from my rolling bench of Pilito Cubano ligero that is kind of sweet and strong and shredded them fine so i could add a pinch to the 1Q to build a little strength. Taste is still pleasant but there is more bottom end. I'm looking forward to learning more about pipes and more about blending tobacco..
    Thanks again for all your great posts guys. 
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of you guys getting into pipes are interested I have a few cleaned up estate pipes I am thinking of putting up on the open market. It is nice to have a few to rotate through and experiment with. 
    When I was at Beehive on Sunday, I caught the Nording bug. Gonna take a few of my estate briars to work and see if some of the guys who smoke cigars are interested in trying a pipe out. 

Some me things I have learned? I am not hugely into straight stem pipes, unless they are the nose warmer type. I dig bent pipes, and would like to try a church warden.

I still don't have a preference on bowl type (is that normal??), and I find cleaning my pipes to be very therapeutic. 
    @jarubla I think I have an old church warden lying around. I will dig it out,and send you a few pics. If you're interested I'm sure we could work out a trade. It's not by any major maker. I think it's only been smoked a handful of times 
    Non Crux sed lux
    Sounds good, @johnnyB shoot me a pm
    So, almost a month after I started this thread, I finally found the box and unpacked my corn cob pipe. I want to clean it well before using first. Now to find a lighter (or just use matches) a tool and some baccy. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    When I was at Beehive on Sunday, I caught the Nording bug. Gonna take a few of my estate briars to work and see if some of the guys who smoke cigars are interested in trying a pipe out. 

Some me things I have learned? I am not hugely into straight stem pipes, unless they are the nose warmer type. I dig bent pipes, and would like to try a church warden.

I still don't have a preference on bowl type (is that normal??), and I find cleaning my pipes to be very therapeutic. 
    I always like the bent stems, too.  I seem drawn to Dublin bowls, but have also been satisfied with others.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years back I tried pipes for a bit but I had such trouble with them I didn't pursue it much. 

A a little while back my wife bought me this as a gift and I've been toying with the idea of potentially trying it again. I did figure out I'm less of a fan of aromatics, at least I was last I tried it out. 

Suggestions for a tin of fuller bodied less "foofie" (dunno what else to call it lol) stuff to try for getting back into this maybe? If anything I would smoke 2-4 times a week of I had to guess. When it comes to pipes it would be equivalent to me trying my first beer, 1000's of choices and completely ignorant and overwhelmed. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I like the Dunhill nite cap,it's not so  foofie
    Non Crux sed lux
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    johnnyB said:
    I like the Dunhill nite cap,it's not so  foofie
    Thanks Johnny will keep my eyes peeled, paid next Friday so will pick up a bit of something and that sounds good. LOL really should have chosen a better word than "foofie" haha wow

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."