Home Cigar 101

Bitter box

AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been smoking cigars for about a year now. My favorite over the last few months has been Perdomo Noir. Been buying fivers and singles and always been great. Finally decided to invest in a box and the first few I've smoked have been bitter as hell. Humi seems fine and holding at around 67%. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Age them. The box has probably been sealed. Your 5ers were opened and "breathed" like booze they could develop in a humidifier environment. Just my thoughts. All boxes I bought required time except 1. 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    another example of cigar guru @#&$ goin down here
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Albinfk please check your messages. I need some info from you. Thanks.

This may not be your problem but it's worth mentioning. I never have smoked cigars ROTT (right off the truck) I always let them sit in my humi/cooler for a few weeks at least. I recently tried to break my own policy. I smoked a new cigar the day after it arrived by mail. The weather was mild so I figured what the hell. It sucked. About a month later (last night) I had another and it tastes much better.  

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna agree with the guys.
    I open the box and set them aside for a while. 
    Even my favored 1916s, I've tried opening the box and smoking one ROTT, only to get that bitter beer face. 
    I've only had one box that I was able to smoke ROTT and that was a replacement box of 1916s that Torano had replaced for me.LOL!

Never really had the problem with 5 packs or bundles, just boxed cigars.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Good investment, now let the interest accrue, lol.  Waiting is the hardest part and boxes are packed more tightly.  I've been known to take the cello off a for a week and then smoke one if they're fresh.  I have 1 humi my cigars are all naked, around %65,  and I put them in there to socialize.  Just a week seems to make a difference, but longer is much better.  

As a rule I get 5'vers for smoking now and buy boxes for smoking later.  Wait a few weeks or a month and try another one after they've rested a bit.  When I get a box I try to wait a few months myself before smoking one, and sometimes I actually do.  Try and hang onto a few of those for a year or 2 and then sample those.  
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting is so hard. Will have to plan accordingly and start stocking up. Looks like a coolidor is in my near future. Any suggestions on handling the wife explanation about the new coolidor?Thanks to all very much.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    Waiting is so hard. Will have to plan accordingly and start stocking up. Looks like a coolidor is in my near future. Any suggestions on handling the wife explanation about the new coolidor?Thanks to all very much.
    Simple. Tell her that boxes are cheaper than singles. Purchasing a cooler to adequately support boxes is a financially sound investment in keeping the overall cost of the hobby to a minimum.

;) 

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Albinfk said:
    Simple. Tell her that boxes are cheaper than singles. Purchasing a cooler to adequately support boxes is a financially sound investment in keeping the overall cost of the hobby to a minimum.

;) 

agree totes james earl jones totes magotes
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that case just tell her cooler are cooler  :p
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife is really good about it, considering how many shoes and boots she has.  Maybe a power point presentation and a bottle of wine, no a bottle of wine then the presentation.  
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife just deals with it... sort of. More like tolerates it... most of the time. She has no vices. She don't drink or smoke. She doesn't shop. Everything she gets is because I bought it for her. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Shakin My Damn Head
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    I did mention it was my wife I was talking about not a logical open minded person.
    I'm told that there are logical women.  I assume it's a characteristic they drop during marriage.  Good luck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking I'm gonna try the upfront and honest approach, being cool, economical, bottles of wine, acting like the idiot I am, just deal with it, you have more than me concepts and eventually just hiding the fuken stuff.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Usaf06 brilliant idea!

Truly though a cooler costs less to purchase and setup than a good size humidor.  It is actually fiscally responsible to go the route of a cooler.  I like the 70qt cooler size and with buying a box of bovedas, a digital hygrometer as well as the cooler it is sub $100.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I've only ever gotten 2 boxes total. The first one, Chillin Moose got much much better the longer it sat. But the Cult's I got actually became less flavorful the longer I left them in the box. I loved the flavor it started with, coffee, cedar, chocolate. After a month in the box all I could taste was harsh cedar.

So I feel that letting them rest is not always the best policy. It should be on a batch to batch basis.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    I did mention it was my wife I was talking about not a logical open minded person.
    I'm told that there are logical women.  I assume it's a characteristic they drop during marriage.  Good luck.
    Woman
    n.
    An animal usually living in the vicinity of Man, and having a rudimentary susceptibility to domestication. It is credited by many of the elder zoologists with a certain vestigial docility acquired in a former state of seclusion, but naturalists of the postsusananthony period, having no knowledge of the seclusion, deny the virtue and declare that such as creation’s dawn beheld, it roareth now. The species is the most widely distributed of all beasts of prey, infesting all habitable parts of the globe, from Greeland’s spicy mountains to India’s moral strand. The popular name (wolfman) is incorrect, for the creature is of the cat kind. The woman is lithe and graceful in its movement, especially the American variety (felis pugnans), is omnivorous and can be taught not to talk.

Balthasar Pober

==========================

from the Devil's Dictionary ... Ambrose Bierce
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Round here, whether it's murdersickles or cigars, I work on three rigid principles. The first two are: a done deal is a done deal. The second is Who Pays the Mortgage. I have been known to announce "I'm flying to Chicago on Tuesday." "What? Why?" "I bought a motorcycle and I'm riding it back." She has been known to announce: "You got another package from UPS." "Kewl. I bought more cigar leaf." "Why do you need more cigar leaf?" "I don't need it. I bought it." 

The third principle is essential to the other two: No critter respects you if you are afraid of them. Dogs, horses, women. What she wants she gets. What I want I get. Logic is not required. Respect is required.

It was a tougher sell the first few dozen times. Thirty five years into marriage, it's become perfunctory. A package of leaf arrived in the mail today, in fact. No guff at all. After all, she received a bathing suit in the mail Saturday. So...

On another note: Don't you already own a cooler just going to waste in the shed. waiting for a picnic?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Crisius said:
    I've only ever gotten 2 boxes total. The first one, Chillin Moose got much much better the longer it sat. But the Cult's I got actually became less flavorful the longer I left them in the box. I loved the flavor it started with, coffee, cedar, chocolate. After a month in the box all I could taste was harsh cedar.

So I feel that letting them rest is not always the best policy. It should be on a batch to batch basis.
    Just a question but what is rest to you? Months,years,days?
    Money can't buy taste
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Crisius said:

Just a question but what is rest to you? Months,years,days?
    A month, maybe? I'm lucky if a box lasts that long. I just don't have the patience to hold onto something for long than that. I have no idea how some of these guys let stuff sit for a couple of years.

I know I have an addictive personality, I jump from one thing to the next and always turn it to 11 without necessarily meaning to. I just don't have to patience to let something sit that long at the moment. If I had a couple boxes/coolers/etc and a 100+ sticks coming in a month, yeah I could hold back enough to let stuff really gain some age. But since I'm almost living stick to stick, ordering in 5 packs as I can and smoking them a day or 2 after I get them either alone or by sharing them out with the few people around me that smoke as well, time is not necessarily a luxury that I can give to the Cigars.
    edited May 2016
    I hear ya bro, while I am far from out (dont get any silly ideas) and have another order on the way, I just havent been at this long enough to truly age a cigar. Hell if I saved my first it would be a whopping 6 months  of age. I got a box of Zero Latitude Experimental last month, after the first one I thought "I should let this age a bit", might just be the cigar, I dont know but hell, I am halfway through the box now
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's how I felt at first too. Eventually enough of a stockpile built up and now I've got some stuff that I've had for a year or two. I have the same addictive personality. Cigars, bourbon, bowling, video games, cell phones, always something.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    bowling?
    A little dirt never hurt