Home General Discussion

Macanudo Cabinet Vintage 1979 #1

LRJohnsonLRJohnson Posts: 41 ✭✭
I have recently inherited a full box of twenty of these cigars and am trying to find out what they are worth?

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends how were they stored? If not in a good humidor I'd say $1 but if stored correctly it's up to the buyer
    Money can't buy taste
  • LRJohnsonLRJohnson Posts: 41 ✭✭

They seem to have been properly stored, they were in a humidor that was given to me.  They still seem soft and well hydrated.

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlikely to be worth much $$ wise, most Macanudo cigars are lighter Connecticut wrapper, which means that they are already very mild and subtle cigars. After nearly 40 years they will be so mild they will likely taste like almost nothing. So for a neat conversation piece, great! But for actually buying, smoking or selling I doubt you would find almost anyone willing to pay anything for them. Just my 2 cents but I think that is pretty darned accurate.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my research is correct these went for nearly 600 a box or 32.50 a stick back then I believe. They were the best of the Vintage according to many. Never aged a mac but they are mild so who knows. 

Be curious to see some pics though of the condition.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

I will take some, and upload them.  I tried to upload some general pics I took earlier but am having trouble.  I also have some 1992 Fuente Fuente Opus X in the same humidor.  Tried one the other day and it was excellent!
    If my research is correct these went for nearly 600 a box or 32.50 a stick back then I believe. They were the best of the Vintage according to many. Never aged a mac but they are mild so who knows. 

Be curious to see some pics though of the condition.
    Really nice job looking into the pricing, for their day I suspect they were outstanding. I just worry that a 40 year aged connecticut would taste like cardboard, not because it was a bad cigar  or tobacco but rather that much time on such a mild leaf could make it so mild that it just doesn't taste like much of anything. I would really love to be wrong though, I learn more when I am wrong plus I would want to be wrong here so that it works out well for the guy too.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I can buy 5 boxes of cubans that would probably blow the doors off the mac off for that price. Here is some more info. Price was likely due to only 50,000 being made.

The meaning of "macanudo" in Spanish is "best of the best," or "first-rate."  This definition is appropriate for the General Cigar line of the same name.  The Macanudo Vintage Cabinet Selection line goes beyond this.  The cigar makers at Macanudo look for the very best tobacco for the Vintage Cabinet line.  The cigar makers' standards are so high that the Macanudo Vintage Cabinet line has only been produced four times; 1979, 1984, 1988 and 1993. General produced approximately 50,000 cigars of the 1979 vintage; 125,000 cigars of the 1984 vintage; 400,000 cigars of the 1988 vintage; slightly over 1 million cigars of 1993 vintage.

The filler is from the Dominican Republic and Mexico.  The binder is San Andreas Valley, Mexico tobacco chosen for tensile strength, flavor, and long, slow, even burning characteristics.  The wrapper is a Connecticut Shade, grown from Havana-seed in the sandy, fertile soil of the Connecticut River Valley; the wrapper is from the 1993 tobacco crop. Cifuentes y Cia, Ltd. in Jamaica manufactures the Macanudo Vintage Cabinet Selection.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other interesting post-embargo lots at Cigar.com may soon include Joya de Nicaraguas from 1969, one of the first years of production for Nicaragua’s oldest cigar brand and older Macanudo Vintages, which Svenson says are heating up in value. "I haven’t seen a box of Vintage 1979 in almost five years, and certain clients have offered $30,000 for a box of 10 if I could track one down in good condition."

This came from an article on Robbreport.com . Looks like they may be worth something. @Alex_Svenson any input :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Also there many articles that state "Vintage" cigars should be stored at a lower RH and much cooler temps. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

I read that article last night and you can probably guess that it really sparked my interest!  I have been trying to get in touch with Alex Svenson but not sure how to do it!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'll pop in here eventually.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Great!
    edited June 2016
    Here is something else I found. Seems they are valuable for collectors. I have no idea about price wise though

The Vintage cigars are made only from vintage quality tobacco harvests. Such a harvest has occurred so far in 1979, 1984, 1988, 1993, and 1997. These cigars are rare and therefore quite valuable. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    ^ Might have got the winning lottery ticket of cigar there. Best of luck with your inheritance! 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the first opus were released in 95?  Am I wrong on that?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    May be I'll double check
    Lmao I bet he read the whole opus X rare estate 1992! This means watch out!!!!!! Yup your smokes are worth now $.5 to me. Tell me what a good RH and temp is and tell me what you found them at. Then tell me how long you've been smoking for plus what the three best companies are
    Money can't buy taste
    Opus was first released in 1995. They just celebrated 20yrs last year. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

edited June 2016
    Correct, and the ones that were before were "pre-release" and came in slide top boxes... they are also basically nonexistent now and won't find them. I had one with a damaged foot, gave it to Roman since I know how much he would appreciate such a rare conversation piece to have.

Brett
    Not trying to get made fun of!  Just trying to find some info 
    Opus was first released in 1995. They just celebrated 20yrs last year. 
    They use to age them before release making them...well all of
    the the rare estates
    Money can't buy taste
    Not trying to get made fun of!  Just trying to find some info 
    Not making fun of anyone, just talking shop and trying to educate. I hope you have terrific luck on moving those Macanudo's, unlikely anyone here would buy but that is mainly because we are very picky and leery as there has been a history of people showing up trying to sell stuff that didn't go well. Not trying to be a d i c k  to anyone we are just a touch gun shy, try to understand please how it looks from our POV ;)

Brett
    A pic of the Opus would be interesting as well. The cello should be like old yeller. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

A pic of the Opus would be interesting as well. The cello should be like old yeller. 
    Pretty sure that Roman still has the pre-release that I sent him (its not smokable, just worth still having as history). I bet if you messaged him and asked he could get you a real time pic of it. I used to have some but damned if I know where I put them.

Brett
    Twenty years ago, Fuente Fuente OpusX cigars were rolled in the accordion method, whereby tobacco was folded into s-shapes rather than scrolled into tubes, using the entubado method. Today, all OpusX cigars are made in entubado style. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Correct, and the ones that were before were "pre-release" and came in slide top boxes... they are also basically nonexistent now and won't find them. I had one with a damaged foot, gave it to Roman since I know how much he would appreciate such a rare conversation piece to have.

Brett
    That would be a site to see, an original pre-release.

BTW I ain't got no Opus's. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

I am a novice for sure!  All I can say is that they are not driedoing out or cracking.  I will try to post some photos and also check on the opus x when I get to the house
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see the pics of these cigars :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

Brett
    That would be a site to see, an original pre-release.

BTW I ain't got no Opus's. 
    It would take some digging through some of my very very old posts but I know for a fact that I did post several pics of that Pre-Release Opus X on Ccom here. Truthfully they look nearly identical but the bands are minutely different. The bottom 1" of the churchill had some foot damage and between that and how old they are I was advised by the B&M owner who gave it to me that it shouldn't be smoked as it had already lost the flavors that made it so great, but that it was a piece of history and a neat conversation piece. Roman had gone over the top for me time and time again so I sent him that and an original La Vieja Habana cigar. That was the one that Jonathan Drew was selling off of a plastic fold up card table in the bottom of the World Trade Center that put them on the map and made them famous. Cool stories at least, and should help you locate a pic until you can reach Roman and ask him for one Rod ;)

Brett