Home General Discussion

Are your favorite cigars Your go to Cigar?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I find myself asking this on a daily basis. I have my favorites, though only problem is they are either spendy, hard to get, or just too full bodied or strong for an everyday smoke. Right now I'm looking for a regular smoke and though I have a few small sized cigars great for it, a couple are rather hard to come by. I am looking at getting a few short story boxes, but other than that I still looking for a great cigar that takes 30-45 minutes that is cheap and would sell me. How about YOU!

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy mostly samplers or do splits. Most of my cigars that our my favorites are pricey and I never have more then 5 it seems. At this point almost everything I have are single sticks. I have some I would like to make regulars but the are too expensive to buy boxes of them. I have tons of great sticks to try but finding something inexpensive that could be a everyday go to would be nice. Personally I would have to go the 5 Vegas route. Can't beat the quality for the price. Actually Cask Strength II is one of my favorites and you can get them cheap.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    one of my fav's is Perdomo Habano in any wrapper. 45min or so and excellent flavor, especially for the price
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

Like jsnake, I am currently doing a lot of samplers. I personally prefer samplers and 5-packs because there are so many different kinds of smokes out there and it seems like it would be a waste to invest in a whole box. I also feel like that if the super-premiums become an everyday smokes, they lose some of their luster.

That being said, if I had to choose something I wouldn't mind having everyday, Fonseca Habana Seleccion or Nica Libre comes to mind.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    I buy mostly samplers or do splits. Most of my cigars that our my favorites are pricey and I never have more then 5 it seems. At this point almost everything I have are single sticks. I have some I would like to make regulars but the are too expensive to buy boxes of them. I have tons of great sticks to try but finding something inexpensive that could be a everyday go to would be nice. Personally I would have to go the 5 Vegas route. Can't beat the quality for the price. Actually Cask Strength II is one of my favorites and you can get them cheap.
    yeah, I enjoy the casks too as well as the relic. Though they are longer than 45 minutes for me. I have been eying those don peppin firecrackers.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    No, my favorite cigars are Arturo Fuente Anejo and Graycliff 1666. The Anejos are too pricey and rare to be my go to, and the 1666 I have plenty but tend to save them for special events.

My go to cigars used to be in the $4-6 range, but the last few weeks have been more like $8-10 (a lot of Decades and 92's). Generally though, my go to cigar is much more reasonably priced than my favorites.
  • I really enjoy the sol cubano Cuban cab. And the number four Volta is cheap,short and med bodied
    and damn tasty
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    jeff_connors:
    I really enjoy the sol cubano Cuban cab. And the number four Volta is cheap,short and med bodied
    and damn tasty
    I couldn't agree with you more! The #4 is a great 30-45 min smoke.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hmmm to answer your question no... the ones I smoke on the reg are not my favorites.
    But I think any robusto is about 45mins to smoke....
    I'm kinda on the same quest something inexpensive, tasty, and relatively timely.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

Most of the cigars I have number in the teens at least. My "go to" smoke may vary in the Winter due to the colder days, but not really because of the smoking time. In the summer, I smoke more while out camping and fishing. For that, I tend to smoke JR. Alternatives, but I bring a premium or 2 along for the ride. In the winter, I prefer to smoke something along the lines of the RP Decade or Sungrown...seems to warm the spirits. The 5 Vegas Relic is a good winter smoke for me as well.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I have my favorites that are "special occasion cigars" like you, but in general my go-to cigars are some of my favorites, especially the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet as mentioned before. Damn tasty and very affordable. I get in on daily deals and samplers all the time so my go-to cigars are always kinda changing and I usually never have more than 5 or 10 of anything at one time. At the prices these dailly deals are your favorites could be 3 or 4 bucks each, too!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    joz3r turned me onto the LFD Double Ligero 'Carajos', which are like a petit corona at 4x38. They run anywhere from 15-20 bucks in a 6-pack wooden box, so about 3-ish a piece. I haven't tried them yet, but joe says they're pretty good. I don't think that Ccom carries them, so if you're interested I can PM you a site where you can get them. They're a short smoke.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I keep passing over those Carajos because I usually want something that will smoke for longer. I've only had the one, and it was a tasty little guy...good for a night like tonight where I want a cigar but don't want to sit out in the wind for an hour.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Probably should have said a go-to cigar, haha. I'd probably either smoke an arturo fuente 8-5-8 Flor Fina, Onyx reserve, or Perdomo Lot 23.

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    One of my favorite smokes that is also one of my go to cigars in the Don Pepin Cuban Classic. I can always count on it to be a great smoke with lots of flavor. I usually smoke the robusto which takes around 1hour and 20 minutes. A little longer than what you are looking for, but for me if it was any shorter I'd probably cry! lol
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Iam a huge fan of the Cask II and its a top 3 for me ....... but lately with the weather at 20 i have no intentions of ripping a cask without getting frostbite ....... but the fuente curlyheads at 2.50 a pop and i can get through 80% if its cold enough .... they are 6.5 x 43 ...... maybe a lonsdale i think ..... not too sure but ya can get through pretty much the whole thing and at the price iam not horribly upset by not nubbing it ...................
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Glen, check your inbox.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    even though I don't have a lot of them currently, I love a Nub for a quick quality go-to smoke. I think they are all outstanding and unique in the 4 varieties. The Connys and Cameroon are nice and mild while still having good flavor, the Habano is peppery and bold and the Maduro is sweet and dark. Once I have room in my humi, I'll probably get 4 of the samplers so I can have a nice little variety for whatever I feel like smoking.
    My Only issue with them? The name. I hate saying it. I really wish they'd come up with something different. Just call it the "Sam Leccia"
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Lately my go to cigar has been the Oliva O maduro. But I just ordered a box of ccom Red label robusto's. Needed a good quicker smoke for winter.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I prefer to keep mixing it up as much as possible. I am a bargain shopper and I am willing to try anything that has a good rep. I do not do mild bodied sticks at all. But I do have a few I will jump on each time they are available at bargain prices like the IT SF Maduro Belicoso. It is a perfect everyday cigar for me. That does not prohibit me from trying plenty of other stuff too.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    I have 2 fav's, RP Vintage 90 and Gurkha Legend. If I smoke 4 times in a month, i'll smoke one of my fav's on 2 of those occasions so I know i'll get something i'll enjoy. The other 2 times i'll try something new.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    ill second the perdoma habana , i just tryed one and loved it!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    bacon.jay:
    joz3r turned me onto the LFD Double Ligero 'Carajos', which are like a petit corona at 4x38. They run anywhere from 15-20 bucks in a 6-pack wooden box, so about 3-ish a piece. I haven't tried them yet, but joe says they're pretty good. I don't think that Ccom carries them, so if you're interested I can PM you a site where you can get them. They're a short smoke.

I have only had one of these in this size. The LFD's Double Ligero are awesome sticks.
    I tend to have 5 or 6 different "everyday favorites" just because I always seem to want something different. I do try to buy the one day specials or the Weekend Blitz's for these sticks, as C.Com always seems to have some premiums on one of the sales at least every couple of days.That way I can smoke better then everyday smokes at an everyday smoke price.
    I would suggest the Partagas Black Label in the Clasico or Bravo size's. Both around 35 - 45 minute sticks. AND TASTY!!!!
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I am with the sampler method. I have so many different kinds but I am looking forward to the vegas 5 classic. I hear they are really good and for the price it can't be beaten
  • My three favorites that I reach for often are: Fuente Hemingway Signature Cuesta Rey Centro Fino Sungrown #60 Padron Londres If I walk into the shop with no particular brand in mind, I'll search for those three in that order. Although, the other week I had a Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 that was wonderful. I had forgotten how good that cigar was. The Padron Londres is an inexpensive smoke that is just great with a little age on them. The new La Traviata, EL Baton and Brickhouse cigars are "value" priced and may just fit your requirements. The Oliva Special G is also a great short smoke and under $4 in my area.