Home General Discussion

Green Cigar

I was in a B&M recently and saw a green cigar! What is with the green wrapper. Did they pick it too early or what?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a candala. They are fermented differently.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 2deep4air2deep4air Posts: 11
    Great info! Thanks all. You guys are great

• tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Candela cigars were really popular in the late 50's and 60's. I've only had one, but it seemed ok. Sadly, I don't remember what cigar it was, so I guess it wasn't that memorable!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some candelas are a fairly sweet cigar.
     I don't mind them, but I can tell you that the first time I had one, it took me some time to actually light it. 
    My head said, "Just light the damn thing."
    But my gut went, "Oh hell no!"
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eyes and brain say "gross" or "it must taste like chewing on fresh cut grass" BUT if they are done right, key word here is right, that isn't the case at all and reminds me of a natural Habano wrapper and is fantastic but it is much harder to get right! Illusions, Viaje and a very select few others do some naughty good candelas. I am hanging onto an Illusione Holy Lance Candela with 4 years on it that should be cherry right now. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Best candela I ever had was the old Camacho! I really don't like the wrapper since yes it is a tad grassy but if blended right it's actually very tasty. 
    Money can't buy taste
    Just pulled up my database and found I have a couple Roma Craft CroMagnon Fromorian Robusto Gordo's chilling in the humi. Forgot about them. They are Candela wrapped sticks. I guess I will have to dig through the cool ID or and give one a try. They have been resting for about 3 months, so they should be ready.
    tabako said:
    Just pulled up my database 
    WTF?
    I must be way out of touch with technology.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    tabako said:
    WTF?
    I tried it once, when it was fully up to date using excel etc it was brilliant and such an outstanding way of tracking everything. Problem was that if you are not disciplined enough to update anytime you smoke, trade, pass, bomb, or receive a new cigar then it becomes a mess in a hurry like it did for me. I simply wasn't disciplined enough so I just switched to taping hand written sticky note strip bands onto each stick with who sent it and date I received it. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    tabako said:
    WTF?
    which makes you....an old faht.  Sorry!  :o
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    0patience said:
    tabako said:
    WTF?
    which makes you....an old faht.  Sorry!  :o
    I guess so.
    How do I tell what I have?
    I open the door to the humi, look and if I see it, I have it.
    If I don't see it, then either it's buried or I don't have it.
    Sometimes, when I'm pretty sure I have it, then I will move things around and discover old treasures. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that simplifies things a bit
    A little dirt never hurt
    The terrible thing is when you KNOW you smoked a cigar and you KNOW you didn't buy another one or get another one, cause you know, they were kind of hard to come by.......
    And you go into your humi and start trying to find something and here you pull out a cigar that you know for certain you didn't have.
    And then you break into your happy dance. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    The terrible thing is when you KNOW you smoked a cigar and you KNOW you didn't buy another one or get another one, cause you know, they were kind of hard to come by.......
    And you go into your humi and start trying to find something and here you pull out a cigar that you know for certain you didn't have.
    This does not happen to most people.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CigarPunk said:
    0patience said:
    This does not happen to most people.
    I can't decide if Tony has a magic humidor or he has early onset dementia. 

by the way I really enjoy candela wrappers. especially the illusione 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to keep everything up to date on a spreadsheet. A couple weeks ago I had a dream in which I smoked a Flor de las Antilles. I'd never had one before, so I checked my inventory. Nothing there. A week later I found one sitting in an old comacho box in the bottom of the cooler. It was as good as my dream. I don't think I had a message. Just an anecdote. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I went to a shop that has a ton of old stock...one of the candelas was turning brown from aging so long! I should have bought it but they had really old lfd' so I got them instead but I'm sure it's still there
    Money can't buy taste
    I am a Project Manager, so I am incurably organized about some things. I use an Access database to track all my sticks. I use the little stickers too on the cello so I know at a glance when it went into the 'dor. 
    Course, as my wife will attest to, I am still a disorganized piggy in my shop. Lol. Guess one has to have a balanced life!  :D
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did an inventory every Sunday faithfully! Then I won the lottery here 2 out of 3 months and I just gave up! How many is a shitload?
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

It's kind of like finding $50 in a pair of jeans you haven't worn since last winter.....It doesn't matter that it's already your money, but you feel like a winner for a little while:)

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried the AF 8-5-8 candela? That seems to be the one candela I see most often, but I've never had the stones to buy one. 
  • eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    Thompson cigars have some. But I'm not buying a box to find out if I like them.
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thompson cigars have some. But I'm not buying a box to find out if I like them.
    Ooooh, naughty, naughty. You said the "T" word here on the Ccom forum. We never mention those bastidges...   :#
    Por que? I don't know anything about them. I just happened to see candelas in a catalog they sent me.
                                                                  King Lear
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't talk about other retailers here out of respect for ccom
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Well, then I shall keep the faith.  B)
                                                                  King Lear
    Ryan1990 said:
    Has anyone tried the AF 8-5-8 candela? That seems to be the one candela I see most often, but I've never had the stones to buy one. 
    I have.  they're okay in my mind but the illusione are better if you can find them
    Usaf06 said:
    We don't talk about other retailers here out of respect for ccom
    Besides the respect issue they are also a crap retailer
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan1990 said:
    I picked up a couple at a B&M last year, I liked them.  As Echambers said, the Illusione is better.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain