Home Non Cigar Related

Pokemon Go..... really

miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok WTF are you kidding me. I got people all over my neighborhood walking with their phones almost in their face and they have no idea what is going on around them traffic wise etc. Someone is gonna get killed in a traffic accident or a child is gonna get ran over. I can see lawyers lining up soon as well. 

I have no idea what this crap even is. Game app taking over everyday lives? Peckachew what the h-ell is that?

Explain.....
Free Cuba
"I ain't got no Opus's"
LLA
- Lancero Lovers of America
2016 Gang War (South)
May I assss u a ?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no.
    Just no.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    no.
    Just no.

Oh I no intentions of playing, I am confused on how many are esp. adults. Makes no sense to me. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid it's just a sad commentary on today's mentality. Intelligence is outmoded. Mob rule (read "social media") governs lives more and more. Soon the planet will be completely inhabited by morons. Today, it's only partially inhabited by them. 

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    So this gets even more interesting for me. I stop at a friends down the road from me. Guess what he is playing Pokemon. 47 yrs old and is telling me how he caught 2 things in his house. I just shook my head and said really.. WTF man 

I guess i live a boring life. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Call it the new "Darwin Award" creator. I like Pokemon Go, but I also know how to look both ways before I cross a street or how to watch where I'm going so I don't fall 100 ft off a cliff.

I grew up with Pokemon, was my first Gameboy Color game too. I get the draw, I really do. And as far as someone getting hit by a car, getting hurt, etc. Survival of the fittest. It's the new way of thinning out the gene pool.
    You know that someone will now lobby to make laws protecting stupid pokemon hunters.
    Kind of like the Oregon crosswalk law, where you can be ticketed for not stopping for some dumba$$ running out into the street in front of you and not looking both ways.

Natural selection should kick in.
    Stupid people shouldn't breed, but yet they do, too much.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "smart" phones
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "smart" phones
    And Dumb people. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a news article listing all the crimes that have occurred due to this game.  Il try to post it when i get home.  There were also two people walk off a 75 foot cliff because they could lift their stupid faces from the phone.  Not to mention the muggings, and two people breaking into a zoo.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    LMAO now I know why I never read or watch the news
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play the game but when I was out walking today I saw dozens of people out with their phones trying to catch them all, including several morbidly obese kids and adults  they have probably spent more time outside walking this past week than they have in the previous year.  that's not a bad thing...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Echambers, Eric to that end you do make a valid point. If we are trying to pick at least one good thing from this it's the fact that people who could barely even describe what the outside world looks like are getting outside and even if it's only walking and only for short distances at least it's a little bit of exercise. I just wish they didn't have their phones surgically attached to their hands and faces while doing it :(

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    I don't play the game but when I was out walking today I saw dozens of people out with their phones trying to catch them all, including several morbidly obese kids and adults  they have probably spent more time outside walking this past week than they have in the previous year.  that's not a bad thing...
    Good point. At least it is getting kids out of the house and moving. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    without making them give up their addiction of being glued to their electronica. I doubt they see anything but their quarry, how many bars they have, and whatever text messages they're getting while 'hunting'. 
    even if it's only walking and only for short distances at least it's a little bit of exercise.
    Brett
    Someone hasn't really looked at it. There are "Eggs" you can hatch with random pokemon inside. You put them in an incubator and then have to WALK a certain distance to get them to hatch since it tracks your GPS. There are 2km, 5km and 10km eggs.

I finally downloaded it yesterday and even though I was sore as hell from work I still got out and walked over 5km in one day. Which isn't terribly far, but I really didn't notice it.

There are settings and things the game does to cue you in so that you don't have your nose stuck to it the whole time. It will vibrate your phone and even make a dinging sound when something is in range for you to interact with. So I look for the "hot spots" they call pokestops and then throw it in my pocket until I hit the location unless I get a ding that there is something to catch.

The smart people will survive playing this game.
    0patience said:
    You know that someone will now lobby to make laws protecting stupid pokemon hunters.
    Kind of like the Oregon crosswalk law, where you can be ticketed for not stopping for some dumba$$ running out into the street in front of you and not looking both ways.

I've had dinner with the Mayor here and suggested a law making it legal to run people over in the street that aren't in a cross walk with the walk symbol. He laughed and said he wishes he could get that to pass. xD
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Almost makes me want to start playing...
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree that it's goodabout getting kids out and walking.  I got home today and my 7 yr old boy wanted to go catch some.  I went with him of course so he wouldn't walk into a parked car.  Haha.  So it's even succeeded in getting me out to go walk some.  Plus, it was some good father/son time right after work.   
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wife and I play. I usually play as I walk the dog around the neighborhood. I don't keep my face buried in my phone. I just wait till it vibrates then I take a look. It's a good activity for the wife and I to do together as well. We just hop in the car with kid and drive around to hotspots. It allows my wife to get out of the house and puts the kid to sleep. 
    So @MorganGeo did you catch a jigglypuff? 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Hahahaha
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

Hey! Don't drag me into this! ;)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Problem is, no one reads that sign because, well, they're too busy playing pokemon.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

We believe in the theory of evolution ... but not in its practice.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    peter4jc said:
    Problem is, no one reads that sign because, well, they're too busy playing pokemon.
    And before that they were texting. Before that it was the new "car phones". It's always some new excuse.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Driver playing 'Pokemon Go' crashes into police cruiser

https://youtu.be/gd_LchqEO2s
    ^ Imagine that. Even a parked car is not safe from the pokemon go.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bwahahahaha! Dumb ass.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...