Home Non Cigar Related

Need Truck advice

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am going to be looking at getting a New/Used Truck here in the very near future.  I am between Silverado, Sierra, Ram or F150.  I want something new or used but not more than 3 years old and less than 50k miles on it.  Crew Cab or larger, good for towing (pretty much all will).  Anybody own one or have owned one that fits this and has advice to either look at one over the other or to stay away from one?
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a Chevy man for over 50 years. Got no use for a Ford or a 'Brand X' as we always refer to Chrysler products. 

Service a Chevy regularly and it'll last forever......  So sayeth the oldfart...   B)
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah my drawback on the Chevy and this is probably stupid is that everybody I know has one.  (probably speaks to the dependability) 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ford and Chevy are both good, I'm a Ford man myself. The Dodge power train is kick Azz but the rest of the truck is junk.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The LS series engine that is in the Chevy is one of the single most bulletproof and efficient (read powerful) pushrod V8's in the world today, for my money I would go Silverado for sure! 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah my drawback on the Chevy and this is probably stupid is that everybody I know has one.  (probably speaks to the dependability) 
    And I always get a laugh out of Ford advertising 'the Blue Oval'. The dummies don't know the difference between an oval and an ellipse.  :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I've owned an F150 crew cab 4.6 V8 and towed a 4400lb trailer all day long. I actually miss that truck. I didn't own it too long since I decided to upgrade.

I currently own a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew cab 6.6 Turbo diesel. I bought it used in 2006 and I have had no issues with it. This thing can tow anything I throw it. I chose this because of the Allison transmission. In fact, I'm just now looking to get the brakes done (60,000 miles I put on for a total of 120,000). I've owned it for 10 years now so that tells you the durability of the HD. 

I have tossed around the idea of looking into Diesel as well.  Most of my towing will be a pop-up camper or a boat.  I do pull a utility trailer and enclosed trailer from time to time as well for BBQ comps and things like that.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @reggie713 loves Fords. 

I doubt you can go wrong nowadays, as all the options are good. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If looking at a diesel, stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4L. 
    Unless you feel like having to do the heads.

If you go too new, be prepared to deal with DEF and the headaches that go along with it.

I have two 2011 F-550s in the dealer right now with DEF problems.

Tough call. 
    I'm a chevy man, but also a Cummins person, so it'd be a tough call for me between Dodge and Chevy.
    Dodge used to have front end problems but haven't seen the issues on the 2010 and up.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to be the black sheep here but Honda Ridgelines are unbelievable and they drive like a car. Pull a trailer 2-3 times a week with it and have 200000 miles on it and just put timiming belts on it. Never had any issues. 
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    This is like asking what brand cigar should I smoke. Lol I have been a Mopar fan all my life. Ford is building some nice trucks also
    Have you looked at Imports?
    I like the Tundra. That will probably be my next truck.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chevy or gmc 2500 duramac diesel. Will last forever. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Don't know, I drive a new chevy for work and it's got the electronic throttle response in it. So you put it in drive, hit the pedal and it doesn't go any dam(ned) place. Hit it a little harder and it jerks forward. So you gotta ease it down while it thinks about if you are pushing the pedal or not.

You want my vote? Don't get a "NEW" truck. Get a nice old truck that is all mechanical and none of this electric horse manure.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    F150 all day son. Have a 2013 now with almost 80 on it and not a stitch of a problem. Will trade it in on a new one this winter or spring. I have a 5.0 liter V8 now but will get the V6 ecoboost when I trade in. The quad can has enough room that my big ass can sleep in it. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Get a Raptor!
    This is the truck I have. B)
    An SS Silverado. 
    Best of both worlds. A truck, an SS and it's fast and fun. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I am going to be test driving a few trucks this weekend.  Have a few of the Rams, Silverados and Sierras to look at.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't offer you advice on which truck, I drive a SUV but I can recommend price checking on carmax.com you might even find something you like there. But it will give you a great reference for how much different models with the varying option go for 
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The silverado and sierra after the redesign are really really nice. The ride is freakishly smooth and quiet even without anything in the bed. Test drove a Z71 with the optional 22's rims and it was as smooth as my mom's brand new Mercedes S-class. The Dodge had the most comfortable seats, but the rest of the interior felt a bit cheap. I haven't driven the newest F-150, but the last model was the least comfortable of the three in my opinion although it had the most room in the back. One weird note on the Chevy is it has no rear vents for ventilation like the others, so the back passengers are SOL if they want AC or heat which is the only reason we didn't buy it. My wife ended up buying a lease return Navigator and it tow's my race car trailer like nothing is on the back so win win for both of us and it was about $7k less than a loaded F150. No issues with it so far after 65K miles.
    I have my eye on a Ram that is fully loaded with the crew cab. Low miles and under $30k. So far it is the most tempting but driving will tell me where to go.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    I was between a Ram and a Tundra and I heard some horror stories about the transmissions in the Rams so I went with the Tundra. 2013 with 26k miles on it. I've put almost 9k on it since March and I absolutely love it. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lookin' good, young man!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Phil_from_ChicagoPhil_from_Chicago Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    nice truck
    Originally from Chicago

I enjoy good cigars and bourbon,

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that should do nicely
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a pretty solid deal!
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Brad!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.