Home Cigar 101
Options

A new vice....scotch talk

Comments

• Options
    camgfs:
    My bottle of Glenlivit is getting low........better stock up! These cold winter nights deserve some respect.

Try an Islay malt ..you shalt not be disappointed...less fruity..darker smokier
  • Options
    As far as Scotch goes I like Oban However more of a Bourbon guy myself.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    dubiousmonk:
    However more of a Bourbon guy myself.
    I'll drink to that! Can't really get into Scotch myself.
  • Options
    I have a bottle of BUSHMILLS Irish whiskey.I have never tried before.I usually drink CROWN,what can I expect.
  • Options
    I was looking at bourbon ...whats good in bourbon?
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    I was looking at bourbon ...whats good in bourbon?
    Are you asking for suggestions? Then I like Maker's Mark, Crown Royal, and Jack Daniels...... They all have higher end blends to try also.

Are you asking for mixer suggestions? I like a little water and a lime, or a splash of coke and a lime.... But mostly just straight up, or with an ice cube or two in the summer.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    My personal favorites are Knob Creek and Makers Mark.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I tried Aberlour 16 Year over the holiday. I really liked it. Very smooth with lots of different flavors.
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    This past summer I joined a scotch tasting group. We meet every two months and for $20 get to sample 3 premium single malts. Well organized by our local pub.

I look forward to be able to combine the scotches and the cigars again next summer... Too darn cold to drink outside. Smoking is one thing, but I draw the line at trying to sip scotch in sub zero temps.

• Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    New poster to the forums, but a long time reader, and figured I would have to enter some input myself.

I'm mainly a scotch and bourbon drinker, and agree with the majority that some scotches and bourbons with cigars are not compatible (in a matter of personal preference whereas some will agree, or disagree). Personally I prefer Speyside over Islay.

My favorite scotches that I find go well with a spicier/peppery full bodied cigar:

Glenmorangie - The Quinta Ruban - matured in port pipes which gives it a more velvety, smooth, port dessert wine nose. Its slightly sweet, but not overpowering, and has all the aspects of a good Speyside scotch. A great after dinner with cigar scotch

Glenmorangie - Nectar D'or - matured in Sauternes wine barriques. I prefer Habano/Camaroon wrapped cigars with this one. Its a bit more syrupy and more of a citrus nose.

Balvenie 12 yr. - A good budget priced scotch that is a little more expensive than Glenlivet 12 yr. but well worth the few extra dollars. I like this one also with the stronger cigars.

Balvenie 15 yr. - This is an excellent after dinner scotch, though a bit pricier.

Glenlivet 12 yr - This is what I consider to be a basic scotch for those that tend to be new to scotches or like a tried and true. Personally I prefer the 15 and 18 yr Glenlivet a lot more.

Aberlour A'bunadh - A delicious sherry cask unobtrusive scotch

Macallan 18 yr. - Though pricy, I enjoy this one. Its a bit more heavy on the nose and pallate, and is one of the few that has a stronger peaty flavor.

My personal preference with scotch is a splash (albeit a small splash) of distilled or filtered water to open the various flavor nuances. I also like mine room temperature.

Islay scotches to me are far too smokey, and most I've had are overpoweringly so. Even the peatiness is overpowering, and I would not recommend Islay scotches for those that are not normally scotch drinkers. Nothing against Islay scotches, but they are not for me. I do say try one if you have not. You might like it. I personally go for scotches with a spicier fruity nose.

Mild to medium cigars I find do not pair well with scotch. After dinner coffee sure, but not a strong drink.

Like I said, this is my own opinion only. Someone else's tastes could be completely different and I have friends that absolutely love Islay scotches. I'm just a Speyside kind of guy.
  • Options
    Well I might be new to cigars but Scotch is one thing I and my friends have enjoyed for a long time. If you are dead set on single malt I would try some Glenlivet at least 18yo. I look at scotch like I look at females must be at least 18yo.... Another good single malts is macallan 18yo or if you want to spend $500 on a bottle try the 25yo macallan or $250 for a 25 glenlivet. Most scotch from speyside will be a good single malt.

As for cigars to smoke with scotch  we have been enjoying camacho triple maduro, tabak especial, and macanudo maduro hampton court
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I can't help it and I mean no disrespect to the Wing, but I have to clarify that Crown Royal and Jack Daniels are not bourbons at all. Crown Royal is a blended Canadian Whisky and Jack is a Tennesse Whisky, which are all styles of their own. This is important to note because Tennesse Whisky has it's own requirements and regulations to meet in order to be called "Tennesse Whisky". The same goes for bourbon, 51% of the grain bill has to be corn, has to be aged in brand new charred oak barrels along with other legal requirements just to bear the name "bourbon".

On that note, I used to like Maker's Mark and it's not a bad option. I have just found that there are comparable bourbons that run significantly less while providing a more top shelf product at a competitive price to MM. Here are some bourbon's that I really enjoy (I have a running list of other great bourbons I'd like to try):

Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve

If you're on a budget Evan Williams Black Label is comparable to some higher end bourbons. It's a very well done bourbon. And at less than $12 for a 750 ml, it's a steal.

To each his own, but I'll add an ice cube to help "cut" the bourbon which allows for the flavors to become more easily accessible. For all things bourbon (and other whiskies), check out this site. It's a great resource to learn about as much as you want about bourbon
  • Options
    deleted
  • Options
    deleted
  • Options
    Dang it...sorry about the triple post.
  • Options
    BStayer:
    I can't help it and I mean no disrespect to the Wing, but I have to clarify that Crown Royal and Jack Daniels are not bourbons at all. Crown Royal is a blended Canadian Whisky and Jack is a Tennesse Whisky, which are all styles of their own. This is important to note because Tennesse Whisky has it's own requirements and regulations to meet in order to be called "Tennesse Whisky". The same goes for bourbon, 51% of the grain bill has to be corn, has to be aged in brand new charred oak barrels along with other legal requirements just to bear the name "bourbon".

On that note, I used to like Maker's Mark and it's not a bad option. I have just found that there are comparable bourbons that run significantly less while providing a more top shelf product at a competitive price to MM. Here are some bourbon's that I really enjoy (I have a running list of other great bourbons I'd like to try):

Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve

If you're on a budget Evan Williams Black Label is comparable to some higher end bourbons. It's a very well done bourbon. And at less than $12 for a 750 ml, it's a steal.

To each his own, but I'll add an ice cube to help "cut" the bourbon which allows for the flavors to become more easily accessible. For all things bourbon (and other whiskies), check out this site. It's a great resource to learn about as much as you want about bourbon
    No disrespect taken. My bad. Us yanks tend to lump whiskies and bourbons in the same category.

Speeking of bourbons...... have you ever tried Booker's 7yr?

Someone offered me a bottle for $20 and it retails for around $50. Wondering if it's worth it.
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    BStayer:

Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve

No disrespect taken. My bad. Us yanks tend to lump whiskies and bourbons in the same category.

Someone offered me a bottle for $20 and it retails for around $50. Wondering if it's worth it.
    Cool...I'd love to have some bourbon and gars with ya some day!! One day...maybe!!

I've heard of Booker's and I would love to try some. It's supposed to be fantastic!! Yeah, I'd say it's worth it! I would surmise that it's worth the $50 price tag that it typically comes with based on the good things I've heard about it.
  • Options
    BStayer:
    lilwing88:
    BStayer:

Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve

Cool...I'd love to have some bourbon and gars with ya some day!! One day...maybe!!

I've heard of Booker's and I would love to try some. It's supposed to be fantastic!! Yeah, I'd say it's worth it! I would surmise that it's worth the $50 price tag that it typically comes with based on the good things I've heard about it.
    Yea. I think I'll snag that bottle while I can. Anytime your in Chicago, hit me up. I may have some Booker's left.........maybe.
  • Options
    :-) Enjoy that bottle Wing...and let me know what you think of it!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    BStayer:

Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve

I LOVE Wild Turkey Rare Breed its one of my favs ...have you ever tried Buffalo Trace ? By your list there I would say you would def like it , if you get a chance pick some up you won't be dissapointed .
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    dubiousmonk:
    As far as Scotch goes I like Oban However more of a Bourbon guy myself.
    ... Oban is my current favorite! Smooth as silk!
  • Options
    gmill880:
    BStayer:

Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve

I LOVE Wild Turkey Rare Breed its one of my favs ...have you ever tried Buffalo Trace ? By your list there I would say you would def like it , if you get a chance pick some up you won't be dissapointed .
    No, I've not had Buffalo Trace. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen it on the shelves here in CO. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I'd really like to try some Wild Turkey American Spirit, but I don't feel like dropping $70+ on a bottle of bourbon I've never had. It's one thing to have had it, it's another thing to try it a whole bottle at a time. There are so many bourbons out there that I'd like to try, as well as sipping rum. A tumbler of good rum is excellent!
  • Options
    Ive never had Buffalo Trace, but I do likey me some Eagle Rare!
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I am resurrecting this thread while sipping some Maker's Mark and havin some homemade pineapple spice chicken
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I realize MM is a bourbon but I wanted to get this goin again lol, any good inexpensive single malts out there?
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I just enjoyed my glass of Glenlivet 12 year Scotch with an ISOM Cohiba Seleccion Reserva cigar from Dec of 2002. Great pairing!

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    I just enjoyed my glass of Glenlivet 12 year Scotch !

^ is a goood "cheaper" scotch I have a bottle under my sink for when Johnnie Walker Red isn't going to cut it.
  • Options
    Tomatin 12 is a very cheap scotch. But definately gets you value. for $25 a bottle I thinks its as good or close to the Glenlivit.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Balvenie 12 yr is a good single malt for the lower tier prized whiskies.Not the cheapest but quality/value is pretty good!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    It has been my experience that life is meant to be lived while puffing on a fine cigar, with a glass of single malt in hand. Rarely in my life have I been happier than while sitting outside on a calm warm day with a great smoke and some single malt scotch in my glass.