Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

*Contest* Valentine nightmare

BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

So...we all know Valentines tends to put the screws to us guys. What I want to know is, what Valentine experience really left you thinking, "This did not go as planned!!" If you share your story, you will be in the running for the grand prize. I do have a guest judge, hasn't been around in awhile, who will determine the winner!! And he is a sexy SOB!

One story per person

No post count minimum needed

Contest ends on February 9th at midnight Eastern

My story: In 1995, my (ex)wife and I were planning for a simple dinner at home. I worked as a CNA at the time at a nursing home. I have had this ongoing itch on my feet, in between my toes. I had gone to an allergist, doctor and they came up empty. I ended up going to a different allergy guy who wanted to inspect between my toes. He looked and said, "Hang on, I've got to get a sample and look at it." I was like WTF? So, he gets a scalpel and a slide and puts the specimen on the slide and disappears. Hmmmmm then he says, "you're interested in medicine, come look at this.." He motions me over to the microscope and I take a look..It looked like a crab monster from a bad '50's movie. "You got Scabies son, probably from the nursing home." I agreed, we just got done closing and cleaning a wing. Then he tells me that I need to put "Elomite" on, let it dry and shower it off, as well as the wife and wash all laundry and bedding.

It did not go over well with the wife, makes me itch thinking about it.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That story will be hard to beat.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes when she says "Don't get me anything" she means it. We broke up that night. We were off and on for about a year before and after that. We were pretty young so it wasn't a big deal then and it's still humorous now.
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok well I will give this a try here it goes and remember you asked for it lol
    I planned on taking my girlfriend to the amusement park for Valentines Day.
    Two weeks before I asked my brother in law if he could give us a ride. He agreed but needed money that day so I paid him $20.00 in advance.When Valentine's day came I was over her house waiting for my brother in law to show up. After waiting for 2 hours my sister calls and to tell me that my brother in law couldn't take us. So we try to get another ride for 2 hours. By this time I am so mad I call my brother in law up and just start yelling at him telling him I had paid him two weeks ago for the ride today. My sister hears me on the other end of the phone and tells my brother in law that she didn't know I had paid him already and that he better get over there and give us a ride.So we wait for another hour and he finally shows up and we go. When we get there I buy tickets for my girlfriend and I and she asks for some so I give her a few tickets and instead of coming with me to go on rides together. She runs off and leaves me there standing with my sister and brother in law. An hour goes by with me looking for her everywhere with no luck. Then she shows up and asks for more tickets. I told her I wanted to go on rides with her and she says which ones? I tell her the Ferris wheel. She says oh I went on that ride already.So I tell her then let's go on some rides together. She says that she doesn't want to go on rides with me she just wants more tickets.All this takes place in front of my older sister and brother in law. I gave her more tickets just to get it over with.I was embarrassed to have this happen in front of my older sister.Then if that wasn't bad enough when we get to her house she tells me that she doesn't want to go out with me anymore.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our first Valentine's Day I had to work. I told her that we would have to do something the weekend after. On Valentine's Day itself I got off a bit early, so I took her out for a drink and a little time away from home. The next day she was more pissed than I had ever seen her. She became convinced that the drink I bought her was her entire celebration. We fought so bad that we ended up not going out the following weekend. Now we don't celebrate V-day. It only leads to heartbreak.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never viewed Valentine's Day as a day that needed to be "special" so I've never done anything for it.  When Colleen and I got together I explained this to her.  Eight years later and all is well, I think I bought her flowers once though.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake said:
    We got married on Valentine's Day you suckers. Celebrating lucky 13 this year. I get two done in one day and never forget. I'm enjoying your stories though. 
    winner
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ''Twas approximately 15 years ago. I had taken half the day off from work to do some shopping and prepare a splendid dinner for my wife. I bought some flowers, wine, some tenderloin, scallops and everything I would need to do her a 4 course meal. I was REALLY looking forward to this as I really enjoy cooking. As I'm prepping my ingredients I cut my hand.......bad. During my time as a sheetmetal worker I've had cuts and usually it was "dirt and duct tape" but this would need more than a few stitches. I wrapped my hand in a towel and drove myself to the ER. In the rush I had left my phone on the counter.
    She came home to a scattered mess in our kitchen.......when she tried calling me obviously my phone rang there at home. 
    When I came in the door about 1.5 hours later she started yelling at me.....more for worrying her than the mess......Happy V-D......
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first marriage lasted 25 years, didn't plan it this way but Valentine's day my divorce was final, my last Valentine gift to my kids mother.
    A little dirt never hurt
    webmost said:
    jsnake said:
    We got married on Valentine's Day you suckers. Celebrating lucky 13 this year. I get two done in one day and never forget. I'm enjoying your stories though. 
    winner
    Not sure that @jsnake's story qualifies as a Valentine nightmare, at least I hope not.  It is a great story, though.

edited February 2017
    This thread reminds me I need to go to Costco to get rack of lamb, macarons, and other V Day fixings, we've made a tradition of celebrating at home rather than fight the insane Bay Area restaurant crowds.  Sauteed grapes in red wine and espresso is also a part of this celebration.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a clueless space-cadet, just had to google it to find out when it is. Always come through but frankly I don't celebrate any holidays willingly (except Groundhog Day).
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake said:
    You win the internet
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last valentines with the broom rider. 
    Happened be on a Saturday, and I worked ot to pay for this adventure. 
    I reserved a pool suite 6 months in advance at a romantic getaway called Sybaris. 
    Expensive and a very cool place to get away.
    Bought 2 bottles of her favorite champagne, ordered our favorite Chinese take out, and a dozen roses before I got home. She was in her usual pissy mood, but I wanted to try and make it a good night anyway. 
    We got to the suite and immediately jumped in the pool. Popped the champagne and opened up dinner. She actually seemed happy for a moment. 
    I nudged her towards the huge bed and it was then she informed me her period had started the day before. She pointed at my crotch and said " you can take care of that yourself in the bathroom".
    One week later she informed me we were separating, and she rented a penthouse room across from her work. Three weeks later I was served divorce papers. 
    I escaped with my corvette and golf clubs. Sold the house and payed off her car and credit cards. 
    Happy V D! 

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware of the redheads 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So valentines day has always been a struggle in my family. My parents divorce was finalized on valentines day when I was very young, so it has always left a bad taste. but this valentines day will signify 13 years since my family suffered a horrible tragedy. my brothers daughter was killed in a horrible accident, and he had to witness the  whole thing. It has forever changed my family, so now my valentines day is spent praying for my brother that he will continue to be strong. this year will be tough because it will be the day that marks my brothers life as he spent 13 years with his daughter and now 13 years without her.  So this valentines I would ask all of you to pray for my brother Mike, that he will continue to use this tragedy to help those who are struggling with loss and grief.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    On our first Valentines day together I sent my girlfriend (now Wife) a dozen red roses to her dorm, they were delivered to the front desk. I picked her up for our date, only to see the roses still siting at the front desk. I asked if she got her flowers, she let me know that that was them at the front desk still, so I ask whats up with that, only to discover that she is allergic to roses! I felt really bad, but all the girls working the desk loved it!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last few hours left before Mr. Sexy Ehat has to make the call on this one!! Thanks for playing and good luck!!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was around when he was.  I agree with your post, many people move on over the years that I would like to know what they are up to.  Oh well such is life.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss Ehehat, Eric was a great guy and I loved talking with him and hope he is well! 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Enjoy!! Wish it would show up tomorrow but...
    Who should duck and cover?

Should have landed today, I believe.