Home General Discussion

Ammo Box Humidor

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
You know, there are several ongoing discussions on this board with deployed heroes who don't have a cigar store handy. Got to thinking what do they have. I wonder: Has anyone here contrived a humidor from an ammo box? They're airtight, and these guys could lay their hands on one. Seems like an ammo box big enough to hold a proper cedar cigar box or two might do the trick. Is there something in the metal or paint that makes that a dumb idea?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    let your nose lead the way. if it doesnt smell like anything you should be good. however, to play it safe you could easily line it with spanish cedar and remove all doubt.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Like Kuzi said, use your nose. Fresh ammo boxes smell like crap.

That being said, there's a couple of guys that I work with that use .50 cal and 20mm boxes.

Let them air out for a while outside, then after a few days, add some baking soda in a container, close it up for a few more days.

You should be good after that. Take out the baking soda, add some Boveda packs and you're on your way.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Like Kuzi said, use your nose. Fresh ammo boxes smell like crap.

That being said, there's a couple of guys that I work with that use .50 cal and 20mm boxes.

Let them air out for a while outside, then after a few days, add some baking soda in a container, close it up for a few more days.

You should be good after that. Take out the baking soda, add some Boveda packs and you're on your way.

Creative for sure, that smell will be hard to clear out. But if can get it done. It would be a great idea all around.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only ammo can I own is a wee 50 cal one I scored at the flea market bolted to my KLR650 camping bike. I suppose I didn't think stink because that one smells neutral as can be. As for cedar lining, that's where the cigar box comes in. The B&M I frequent sells empty boxes for a buck. I scored an Acid box there just because it has the picture of a motorcycle on the lid. But I am sure it's made of cedar. Smells like cedar and spice. If a BOTL could score a cedar box for a buck, fill it with smokes, throw in a water pillow, stuff it in a priority mail box, and shoot it overseas, then the hero at the other end could pop it in a clean ammo can and done.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    You know, there are several ongoing discussions on this board with deployed heroes who don't have a cigar store handy. Got to thinking what do they have. I wonder: Has anyone here contrived a humidor from an ammo box? They're airtight, and these guys could lay their hands on one. Seems like an ammo box big enough to hold a proper cedar cigar box or two might do the trick. Is there something in the metal or paint that makes that a dumb idea?

La Finca used to sell cigars in an ammo box humidor. I made the mistake of buying one. The cigars were smoke-able after a year of sitting. The ammo box eventually was given away on a shipment to iraq soldiers.

The ammo box was alright and worked great, but the cigars were pretty much dog rockets.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Just have to be careful at with a new one like others have said. Gun powder residue and oils are going to in there whether they are seen or not. Definately want to give it a good scrub and let it air out..
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I attempted this when i started on here (i have a pretty nice ammo box that i got when i was like 14, has a rubber gasket and no rust) but i avoided posting on it because i failed miserably. I couldn't get the oily smell out of it, and after washing it several times, a carton or two of arm and hammer, and a sunday newspaper i gave up on it.
    ... and this afternoon, it's getting hot as Hades outside... which makes me reflect how hot a hero's ammo can would no doubt get when he's posted in Hades... which makes me think it's a stupid idea I should never have brought up... so

mea culpa dumba mia I'll shut uppa

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Not a bad idea brother, just have to make sure it is very clean, and most people overseas have A/C
  • ammodorsammodors Posts: 17
    I built my first ammo box humidor out of an old .50 cal ammo can back in college. I've been dragging it around ever since - going on almost 14 years now! You are right about how functional and cool they are. It always seems to be a conversation piece when I pull it out.

Let me know if you ever need any DIY plans or tips on building one - would be glad to share my experiences. You can build one if a weekend if you have the right parts. Although it can get expensive real quick with the current prices of ammo cans and quality spanish cedar.

After years of dreaming about it, I recently actually started selling mine if you're looking for a turn key solution. I sell them as Ammodors - check them out at http://www.ammodors.com.
    Nice site. There's a guy at the flea market sells ammo cans for eight bucks in summer. I dunno who sells cedar.

A huge supporter of the military, Boris Levin, creates COMBAT HUMIDORS with the assistance of some of our Wounded Warriors and donates a portion of every sale to the Wounded Warrior Foundation.

The default one is a 7.62mm ammo can but he also makes .50 cal cans.

Custom paint jobs and quality workmanship throughout.

Here's a link to a review:

http://youtu.be/PRCnMElC_gE
    Nah, not nearly so good lookin as the ammodor. The can shouldn't be painted. It ought to remain olive drab with white stenciled lettering, so it looks like an ammo can. Plus Levin wastes too much space on multiple cedar bins which could otherwise hold more cigars. I like the ammodor better.

Gonna wait till the flea opens back up this Spring and see if the ammo can guy comes back again.

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Nah, not nearly so good lookin as the ammodor. The can shouldn't be painted. It ought to remain olive drab with white stenciled lettering, so it looks like an ammo can. Plus Levin wastes too much space on multiple cedar bins which could otherwise hold more cigars. I like the ammodor better.

Gonna wait till the flea opens back up this Spring and see if the ammo can guy comes back again.

no gun show in the area? At the Michigan gun show they sell them buy the pallet. If you cant get a hold of any at the flea, I would be happy to ship one out to you.
    webmost:

Great. Enjoy your humidor.
  • NeleneaNelenea Posts: 90
    I have a few ammo box cans.. with ammo in them. They are the newer plastic versions, and a few have a rubber o-ring seal on the top. Same size as a .50cal can, think I gave like $17 for them.

Might try one as a yardgar humi.
    ddubridge:
    webmost:

no gun show in the area? At the Michigan gun show they sell them buy the pallet. If you cant get a hold of any at the flea, I would be happy to ship one out to you.
    Now don't start anything silly. I know how you guys work.

Besides, if I need an eight buck excuse to stroll the flea, here it is.

LOL thanks guys - glad you like. Jump over to our Facebook page and you can win a free one! Seriously though, yes I looked into the Combat Humidors during my R&D phase. I prefer the natural, unpainted look as well. And I think my prices are a bit cheaper. However, their business model did inspire me to team up with a non-profit organization called Hope For The Warriors® who's goal is to enhance the quality of life for post-9/11 service members, their families, and families of the fallen who have sustained physical and psychological wounds in the line of duty. Hope For The Warriors® is dedicated to restoring a sense of self, restoring the family unit, and restoring hope for our service members and our military families. www.hopeforthewarriors.org So regardless - hats off to Combat Humidors and their generosity in supporting our vets. We hope Ammodors will be as successful.
  • I just got approval from the wife to order one for my birthday next month. Currently I am using a tupperdor and I am excited to get a sweet humidor.
  • Dante6Dante6 Posts: 16
    finally a humidor i wont feel guilty about taking to the field haha
    Dante6:
    finally a humidor i wont feel guilty about taking to the field haha
    bigjohn125:
    I just got approval from the wife to order one for my birthday next month. Currently I am using a tupperdor and I am excited to get a sweet humidor.
    thumbs up! :)
    ...its like this
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Just stumbled across this post, and wanted to offer some of my (old commercial coatings) advice if it would help anyone regarding the "oils" in the box
    P83 OIL & GREASE EMULSIFIER
    If you don't know, coatings wont stick to "any" oil saturated surface, even if it ends up looking good at first it will eventually pop of from the contaminated surface, I have used this item many times, even on a car break shop concrete floor that was severely coated with break fluid and dust ground into the concrete from years of break jobs, they wanted to paint the floor with aliphatic urethane to make bright and white floors to update there shop, and this stuff worked like a charm
    I'm not sure about the product itself messing up smells after from itself, but it turns the oils into a soapy residue that can be scrubbed again with (I used T.S.P or sometimes Tide powder) but could use like Dawn dish detergent, like you would a new cooler

I haven't used this for "Humidor" needs But thinking about it I would love to try if I get the chance :)

www.etsy.com/listing/186229448/black-flag-ammo-can-humidor

This guy on Etsy makes and sells them. i got one not long ago. GREAT quality. A few of my friends just ordered some. This guy sells them in different sizes too.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In another time on another planet in a galaxy far far away at a place called Khe Sanh in a country called Vietnam I used a ammo can to store my sticks and writing paper. It rained for 10 weeks straight and we lived in our ponchos and in the mud. Our clothes rotted off and our feet decayed but those sticks stayed smokable. Use what ya got.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone posted this on FB today
    http://www.ammodors.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_23041.jpg.

pic link thingy not working. Sorry
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    danielzreyes:

love you
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what happens when google trolls the forums.
    When someone searches something, it brings up forum posts and draws these folks like flies.
    Then they post to every thread they feel is relevant.

That said, that is a pretty cool humi.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.