Home General Discussion

The future of Forum blends...

I have been thinking a lot about the Forum Samplers which we are waiting for; let's say patiently.
It was discussed elsethread about the Forum Blend coming out as a regular offering from C.Com.
Now when we were all putting this thing together with Alex it was never something that was discussed. BUT !!!
Wouldn't it be KEWL if when these sticks do arrive and we give them a test drive, and assuming they are a hit, that C.Com would consider placing these into their regular rotation of offerings?
Then I started to think about the possibilities of an ongoing project known as the "Forum Blend Project" or something similar, and having a new blend released each year or every other year, something along those lines.
Not only would it be an original idea for a company like C.Com to take on, but I see it as the ultimate promotional tool as well.
Imagine, each year, the forum members would be selecting the wrappers, binders, and fillers for a new cigar creation.
Each year could be denoted as, for instance "C.COM Forum Blend 09" (this years version) followed by "C.COM Forum Blend 10" and on and on.
I remember how much I enjoyed the process this time and would love another chance to do it again.
What do you think Alex? Any chance? Any different interesting ideas, since you were the person who proposed this in the first place, in response to the "test" that Duty and Kuzi were working on if my memory serves me correctly.
What do you BOTL here think of this... if Alex and C.Com think it could be worked out again?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    That would be interesting.. And, at the pace the forum is growing the interest will continue to be here. Kind of like Rocky Patel with his seasonal blends.. Alex always seems to be on-board with the suggestions of the members here. I say yes !
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I also agree, this is an interesting idea and let's not forget...FUN.

"Long ashes my friends."

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You never know, it is an interesting venture. To a degree, and maybe only a small one, this helps us understand the blending process better than just talking about what cigars are made of what and what it is that we like about them, we actually get to say I think this tobacco would work well with that one and this wrapper/binder combination and actually see how it turns out. An annual ccom forum blend would be a cool and novel idea, I guess it all comes down to how this one turns out.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, this is a sick idea. Also, I think from a sales perspective, this is something that you don't read in any other cigar reviews: "This cigar was selected by a community of cigar lovers." That would sell well.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    You never know, it is an interesting venture. To a degree, and maybe only a small one, this helps us understand the blending process better than just talking about what cigars are made of what and what it is that we like about them, we actually get to say I think this tobacco would work well with that one and this wrapper/binder combination and actually see how it turns out. An annual ccom forum blend would be a cool and novel idea, I guess it all comes down to how this one turns out.
    I think the annual forum blend would be so kewl.
    Just to be clear as to what I was hoping for... would be to have each blend after they were created to stay in production, so that any and all were available from the time each one was created on.
    It would actually be a new "Line" of cigars which would grow each year. Just my thoughts, don't know if it is reasonable or able to be pulled off.
    They would have to be good enough for cigar.com to get behind, I can tell you that much Doug. I think there is a market for such a unique house blend, so it's not unreasonable to think that they could make it a steadily available line....if it's good that is.
    Yeah. I hope Alex decides to wade in here. Just to give an idea as to whether this is just a pipe dream, or something with at least a chance of becoming a reality. I'm surprised that not many guys have commented on this. Maybe it isn't something as popular with the BOTL out there as it is with me. LOL. I thought this thread would generate a lot of interest and comments.
    Something else I thought of; if we did a year-only release per vintage, we could open up options in tobacco use; just sayin', we could maybe use some rarer tobacco if we limited production.
    betasynn:
    Something else I thought of; if we did a year-only release per vintage, we could open up options in tobacco use; just sayin', we could maybe use some rarer tobacco if we limited production.
    I would think that in any given year if it was decided to create a "super Premium" stick we could use some of the better rarer tobacco's available.
    The reason I like the idea of continueing with a particular stick after the initial first run is that the first run will always be smaller like this time around. If you keep these cigars in production after the initial run then if someone really likes them they can keep them on hand from then on.
    It was actually the EXTREMELY limited availability of this first cigar that got me thinking this way.
    What if these sticks turn out to be a real favorite, and then you realize that the sampler you are holding in your hands is the first, last and only chance you will ever have to enjoy these sticks as no more are available, ANYWHERE!!!
    To calm myself down I started thinking about how great it would be if these Forum Blend sticks were put into regular rotation at C.Com.
    From there it just grew into why not do it every year or two and actually create a new line of sticks which could be ordered by the year of their creation as discussed earlier and would be kept available (if that particular stick has a market for it, of course) from the time of it's creation, forward.
    The BOTL here get some very KEWL opportunities to learn and be creative and C.Com builds a whole new line of House blend sticks and can offer them as "only available at C.Com" and has a built-in market and the chance for them to use this line as a fantastic promotional tool.
    The 1 year only thing scares me. I don't know if I could afford to purchase up as many as I may like before they become un-available. Then what!! LMAO
    Maybe a vote at the end of each year to keep the cigar active/inactivate it or something. I can't see it being practical to have that many blends; it would be pretty expensive, and even with ccoms huge humidor(s) it would cost shelf space. It's a great idea, and I'd love to see it happen; I think maybe it would be good to keep the best lines and have the misses set aside as a limited edition release.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been back on here since early yesterday morning at work. I've been really busy.

I've been buying from C.Com for almost 2 years, and a "technically" a forum member for over a year, but I didn't actually become active until this year when I stumbled upon the forum blend right after you guys had decided on it and had already started the pre-order phase. I for sure thought I had missed an amazing opportunity.

so I watched every single day, countless times throughout the day to see if there was any news or last minute orders, and lo and behold, Alex posted on here that there were only 14 left, so I immediately called up C.Com and Tim hooked me up.

Seeing how involved everybody was and how excited everyone was got me completely sucked in here, even though I may not be as kewl as most of you guys as well as the old legends that were on here, you guys don't hesitate to welcome everybody, with a certain level of reserve of course.

The concept of purchasing and enjoying something like this is amazing enough. I mean, how kewl is it going to be to have somebody ask "Hey, what kind of cigar is that?" "Well, it just so happpens to be one that a bunch of bad ass online bros of mine constructed." But next time, I want to be able to say that I helped.

So If I need to sign a petition, join a club or make a sacrificial offering to help get another one of these amazing opportunities going, then that's what I'll do.

I'm with you fellas, this is great, but I sure don't want it to be the last and only time this happens.
    betasynn:
    Maybe a vote at the end of each year to keep the cigar active/inactivate it or something. I can't see it being practical to have that many blends; it would be pretty expensive, and even with ccoms huge humidor(s) it would cost shelf space. It's a great idea, and I'd love to see it happen; I think maybe it would be good to keep the best lines and have the misses set aside as a limited edition release.
    The vote would work or if C.Com was not moving a particular years creation, then I would assume they would just drop it like any other non selling blend.
    As for the too many blends... I don't know, possibly C.Com would find this too big a burden to carry, but with new lines coming out every year anyway, they still have to make room or drop blends/lines in order to keep their inventory current to what people are buying. I don't think it would be that much of a departure from the present house blends. The expense would be passed on to the BOTL here just like every other line out there. At least as I see it. Of course there may be numerous things that we are not savvy to that may prevent this from happening.
    That is why I was hoping Alex will comment on this idea.
    Might as well have it blown out of the water right off the bat, IMO.
    Wow. I came home from being at the ocean cooling off thinking that I would sit down to read all the comments from this post. I guess it isn't as interesting an idea as I thought. I figured there would be plenty of people who would wade in on this.
    On the other hand, I suppose it would be this quiet level of response which C.Com would use to gauge the real interest in such an idea. Too bad.
    I think a lot of people are regarding this on a "wait and see" basis, Doug. We don't even know yet if this first forum blend is going to be a hit or a flop, so my guess is that more than a few are holding off on speculation until they have the cigars in hand. I for one am not at all opposed to this idea of an annual forum blend, but the flip side of that coin is that I want to know how our first blend turned out to see if it is even worth the trouble of putting together a second effort.

I think once we get the samplers and have had time to try the cigars and really form an opinion on them, that will be when this discussion takes off. Not only regarding future blends, but perhaps what we could have done differently with this one to make it better. And we can only know that last part once we've sampled the fruits of our effort. Patience is the key here my friend, there will be a time for this discussion to come to fruition, I can assure you of that much.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wonder how much the blends would change from year to year. everyones tastes are always on the move. i wonder how that would reflect in a yearly project.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    i wonder how much the blends would change from year to year. everyones tastes are always on the move. i wonder how that would reflect in a yearly project.

Yes that would be very interesting to follow. Also many people come and go from the forum so that would probably have an effect as well ...
    That's an interesting point that I had thought of myself. Not only in regards to how our own tastes change, but also in regards to the people participating...with a whole new set of voters, who knows what kind of different blends we would come up with. I can tell you for certain that even now I probably would have voted differently on some of the components, so a year from now....?

Looks like me and Gino think alike, he's just got a quicker trigger finger. :) How ya doing this evening Gene?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Probably quite a bit since the participants will be changing.. Guys seem to hang around a year or so.. and then drop out.
    j0z3r:
    That's an interesting point that I had thought of myself. Not only in regards to how our own tastes change, but also in regards to the people participating...with a whole new set of voters, who knows what kind of different blends we would come up with. I can tell you for certain that even now I probably would have voted differently on some of the components, so a year from now....?

Looks like me and Gino think alike, he's just got a quicker trigger finger. :) How ya doing this evening Gene?

Doing great Joe hope you are as well brother ..... You know I think I would have voted a little differently if we had it all to do over but I'm still excited to try these hopefully soon.
    As am I Gene, the idea of a forum collaboration is great..I mean, how often do people who communicate with each other on the internet get to have something tangible (and smokeable) to show for it? I'm gonna save one of each wrapper indefinitely just to commemorate that...or not, if they're damn good. :D
    Haha I hear ya ... I think its pretty amazing that such a diverse group of guys got to put this together and like you said have something tangible to show for it. Alex can't have enough praise for making this happen in my opinion. Whether we like them or not its unreal to me he was able to do this for us !
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Can anybody remind me what we get in the sampler? I ordered two but I don't remember what we get...I'd like to hang on to a couple indefinitely too.
  • JFJF Posts: 54
    Luko,

From what I remember, we get five of each of the two wrappers, all in a toro vitola.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    JF:
    Luko,

From what I remember, we get five of each of the two wrappers, all in a toro vitola.
    Aha, sounds about right...thanks JF. Hope they're good.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Luko:
    Can anybody remind me what we get in the sampler? I ordered two but I don't remember what we get...I'd like to hang on to a couple indefinitely too.
    I think 5 Toros of each blend for 10 cigars total. So if you ordered 2 you have 20 coming.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

Doing great Joe hope you are as well brother ..... You know I think I would have voted a little differently if we had it all to do over but I'm still excited to try these hopefully soon.
    I definately would have voted differently as Im liking more full bodied cigars now as opposed to the mild Connies and that was only 6 months ago.
    If I remember right, these were Med. to Full bodied sticks weren't they?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    Probably quite a bit since the participants will be changing.. Guys seem to hang around a year or so.. and then drop out.
    OR they hang around for a year, leave for many months, and then come back and still talk allot of stupid *** and get drunk!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    im the freak that cant keep away....
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    im the freak that cant keep away....
    FREAK...