Home General Discussion
Options

my sticks are in

got these in today now just to try and pick one to start with ?

Camacho Havana (1999)
, Petit, Natural

Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real
, Toro, Connecticut, 6 X 54

Gurkha Legend
, Robusto, Maduro, 6 X 50

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
, Churchill, Natural, 7 X 48

Gurkha Titan 5 Pack

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Where are the GoF's?
  • Options
    ewebeweb Posts: 20
    I got the gof in last week smoked one over the week end at my wife’s b-day party just got these one the list today
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    those camacho havannas are quite nice. I have one left from a box i bought last year. im saving that thing for something special. good stuff there.
  • Options

kuzi16:
    those camacho havannas are quite nice. I have one left from a box i bought last year. im saving that thing for something special. good stuff there.

thats funny that is the one i am smoking right now i like it so far

• Options
    i think i like this one[ Camacho Havana (1999)
    ] better then the one gof i had
  • Options
    the GOF, i have heard, isnt as good as people say it is. Iduno. ive never had one. i have one in the humi but i cant bring myself to smoke it yet. someday.
    once i get a replacement for it (with another) i wont feel as bad.
  • Options
    Ya now what you mean I was hoping for something more out of it but have 3 more so maybe ill like the next one better need to start smoking faster I guess I am already out of room
  • Options
    eweb let at least one age for a good while like at least a year.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    eweb:

got these in today now just to try and pick one to start with ?

Camacho Havana (1999)
    , Petit, Natural

Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real
    , Toro, Connecticut, 6 X 54

Gurkha Legend
    , Robusto, Maduro, 6 X 50

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    , Churchill, Natural, 7 X 48

Gurkha Titan 5 Pack

So many nice cigars, this does create quite the dilemma.. And what a variety of sizes and wrappers too.. I see you are not restricted to one shape.. or flavor profile..
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The R&J might be a good one to start with. Being a Connecticut wrapper, age isn't likely to change its flavor profile much. And being an R&J, its construction is good enough that it should smoke well even w/o much rest.
  • Options

urbino:
    The R&J might be a good one to start with. Being a Connecticut wrapper, age isn't likely to change its flavor profile much. And being an R&J, its construction is good enough that it should smoke well even w/o much rest.

ok i will pull one of the R&J out for my walk around the yard

• Options
    Had to do some fast moving around of my sticks the RH drooped to 60% guess I tried putting to many new one in at one time so I got some rubbermaid and squirreled away a bunch in there with some of the water pillows they where sent with hope this works ok
  • Options
    strange... usually my RH spikes UP when i add new sticks. i wonder what caused the spike down. either way if you are not good with 60% then its good to move em. Im not sure i would have. i was considering buying 60% RH beads when i first made the switch. ... im glad i went with 65 but 60 wont hurt em too bad, if at all.
  • Options

kuzi16:
    strange... usually my RH spikes UP when i add new sticks. i wonder what caused the spike down. either way if you are not good with 60% then its good to move em. Im not sure i would have. i was considering buying 60% RH beads when i first made the switch. ... im glad i went with 65 but 60 wont hurt em too bad, if at all.

that makesme fill better knowing 60 is ok on another line

Was just wandering how do you guys keep track of all your smokes
  • Options
    what do you mean "keep track" .... ?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I put all my cigars in a big box so they won't run away... that's about all the "tracking" I do. I have a vague idea of when I obtain them and that's enough for me.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I put all my cigars in a big box so they won't run away... that's about all the "tracking" I do. I have a vague idea of when I obtain them and that's enough for me.
    And I check on them daily, The ones I intend to put some serious time on I have a sticky dot with the date I obtained it.. Those are all in a seperate humidor that I don't go into very often..Once a month or so just to check condition and humidity and to rotate them... In my regular humidor I have different sections for different seasons. Top summer, middle fall, bottom winter, we don't have spring in Chicago.. Boxes always get a date on them, and singles that I know I am going to get to in less than a year all sit in one box with just my memory to keep track of aproximately when I got them..If a cigar sticks around for a year it gets a sticker and moves out. I am not obsessed or all that organized because it is really about enjoyment.
  • Options
    I dunno, kas. That sounds pretty darn organized to me.

I guess if a man really wanted to keep track of things, he could print up some barcode labels to stick on the cello. Actually, that's a pretty darn good idea. Hmmm....
  • Options
    ok i guess my tracking is all done in my head. I know about what i have and about where they are. I dont have friends that have access to my house let alone my room let alone the key to humidor. I put a date on them when i put them in there. anything i want to age i put in one humidor. anything i want to smoke soon i put in another. anything i am unsure about or dont want to specificly age but is not an "impending smoke" i put in another. all of my cigars come OUT of my "impending smoke" humidor. this is the humidor that i open at least once a day. the others not so much
  • Options
    BTW, kas, what season do Chicagoans have while the rest of us are having spring?

This reminds me of a great line a friend of mine in TX used to have about autumn down there. "Autumn in Texas," he'd say, "is that day in November when all the leaves turn brown and fall off."
  • Options
    urbino:
    BTW, kas, what season do Chicagoans have while the rest of us are having spring?
    Methinks that kas has a three drawer humi, so he's rearranged the seasons so that winter turns directly into summer. Quire a neat trick I must admit.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Methinks that kas has a three drawer humi, so he's rearranged the seasons so that winter turns directly into summer. Quire a neat trick I must admit.
    During the time that most parts of the country experience spring, Chicago alternates between lingering winter with snow and cold ,and crappy "fall revisited" with sleet/rain/freezing rain/and strong winds.. spring as most people know it lasts about three days so there is no use in dedicating a section of my humidor to only three days..I keep those cigars in a small baggie or hold off purchases until summer arrives. That section ( thanks to you all), is overflowing right now.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    During the time that most parts of the country experience spring, Chicago alternates between lingering winter with snow and cold ,and crappy "fall revisited" with sleet/rain/freezing rain/and strong winds.. spring as most people know it lasts about three days so there is no use in dedicating a section of my humidor to only three days..I keep those cigars in a small baggie or hold off purchases until summer arrives. That section ( thanks to you all), is overflowing right now.
    My family is from Illinois, though I've only been there once for two weeks a few years ago, not too far away from Chicago, up near the Wisconsin border in Antioch. It was right around "spring" time and I do recall the weather being a bit more like winter than spring, it rained and it was a bit chilly...well actually it was cold for me I'm a Californian, I need to bundle up in two layers and a heavy coat if the weather hits 30.
  • Options
    egeem2egeem2 Posts: 2
    Nice selection. Enjoy those smokes.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Chitown...I've been there during all the season, even had 3 seasons in one week. I love the town and would move there except for the weather. Too damn cold. But the food is great and most of the people are nice.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    There are two seasons in the Chicago area....

"When the F*** is it gonna warm up???"

and

"Damn it's hot out!"
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    Chitown...I've been there during all the season, even had 3 seasons in one week. I love the town and would move there except for the weather. Too damn cold. But the food is great and most of the people are nice.
    I agree about the food. People are people and a$$h@1es live everywhere, except Memphis ( right Urbi?) but jobs are plentiful and wages are great because of the weather. I was born here and this is where I plan to stay..
  • Options
    No, unfortunately, we received our allotment of them, too. Though the weather here is kind of the opposite of Chicago. We have a dry season and a wet season, and plenty of spring (usually), but not much fall (usually).
  • Options
    in the cleveland area we have a few seasons. we start the year with winter, with snow and cold, and wind. we then transition into winter with rain and cold and slushy mud everywhere. after that we get road construction, this brings heat and humidity and frustration. then we have Winter jr. lots of rain with an occasional frost and light snow from time to time.

all in all i get to sit outside for about 2 weeks every year without being annoyed by the weather in some way.
    im still not moving.
  • Options
    eweb:
    Was just wandering how do you guys keep track of all your smokes
    I keep an inventory in a spreadsheet on my computer. It has Number, Name, Vitola, Date acquired, and where acquired from columns. Then on another tab of the spreadsheet I have all the ones I've smoked from my inventory with all the same info, and date smoked and a simple rating i.e. Good Buy Again or Ehhh don't buy again. Finally it has a Passed tab where I move all the cigars that came out of my inventory to this tab when I trade of PIF or bomb them to someone.
    Each cigar has a number that I write on a little piece of masking tape and stick on the cello or band of the stick so I can keep track. I aso use kuzi's multiple humidor method. I have one for aging and one for daily smoking. The only difference between him and I is that when I get 3 or more of one cigar one immediately goes in the ready to be smoked humi. I like smoking one fresh, one rested and the rest aged.