Home General Discussion

Cigar.com not posting reviews of bad cigars

Tried twice to post a review of the Ave Maria Immaculata Toro.  It wasn't good, however, no one else would know that since neither review was put in to the product page.  It isn't the only review I've posted on the site but it's the only one that hasn't been added to the product page.  This stinks of schilling for the cigar company to me.  I posted one last time and said if it wasn't posted, they'd lose me as a customer because of dishonest practices.  Anyone else having issues with Cigar.com not posting bad reviews of cigars?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which one(s) have you posted that WERE put into the product page?
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem posting a like or dislike with a cigar is that everyone's taste is different. I could see if the construction was bad or it was full of stems but a bad rating because you didn't like it isn't fare in my book. That's my 2 cents. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Tried twice to post a review of the Ave Maria Immaculata Toro.  It wasn't good, however, no one else would know that since neither review was put in to the product page.  It isn't the only review I've posted on the site but it's the only one that hasn't been added to the product page.  This stinks of schilling for the cigar company to me.  I posted one last time and said if it wasn't posted, they'd lose me as a customer because of dishonest practices.  Anyone else having issues with Cigar.com not posting bad reviews of cigars?
    I don't know how you can say that Cigar.Com isn't allowing a bad review of the Immaculata to be posted. I just checked that page and there are two customer reviews posted - one is a positive review and the second by R.T. Of Tulsa, OK is a negative review. What exactly did you try to say in your review??
  • TheWacoKidTheWacoKid Posts: 16
    I have to agree with Usaf06. It's unfortunate you didn't like it, and I understand you want to let people know about it.  But let me put in terms of my business.  I have a lot of people who love my music. Equally, I have a lot of people who dislike my music.  When it comes to music, cigars, and many other things in life, a bad review can give someone a predetermined negative outlook on something they haven't tried for themselves.  That's just how I see it.  
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did you post it?  Often, reviews will be audited and approved by the vendor before they get posted, and yours may just be waiting for them to get to it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    When did you post it?  Often, reviews will be audited and approved by the vendor before they get posted, and yours may just be waiting for them to get to it.
    This seems likely.  Your story does not conform to my experience here.  My second ever post was to say how disappointed I was with the RP Puro Cubano, tasted like crap to me, which I found surprising, since my only RP experiences prior to that had been the Vintage 90 & 92's, and the Sun Grown, all of which I thought were quite good.  I got some instant flak from some members about post-count, which I didn't understand at the time, as I'd never been on a "Forum" before. 

I think I also posted an opinion on the feedback line, as you did, and I believe it may have taken a day or two to show up.  Not sure, as it's been a long time.

At any rate, what I learned was that there are such things as "trolls", idiots who like to get on sites and post outrageous things for their own entertainment, and for that reason it behooves the site to review these opinions prior to posting them.

I haven't had the Immaculata, but I remember one of our long-time BOTL's posting a poor impression of it, which surprised me, since I've found all of the Ave Maria's to be quite satisfying so far.  Be that as it may, no one hits a home run every time, and everyone's tastes are different. 

What happened to the Puro Cubano?  Don't know, but it didn't last long.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I doubt a website like ccom would publish every single review they've ever received simply due to the amount of trolls on the Internet these days. Also possible to go unpublished if there was a lot of profanity in the review.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them.  Think they are a good cigar
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them.  Think they are a good cigar
    I agree Sherm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239

Cigar-662222

Thank you for choosing Cigar.com and brining this issue to our attention.  We read your review thoroughly and made the call not to publish it due to one simple reason.  The issue was not that you were giving a negative review of the cigar but you used the word “****” to describe the cigar.  It may seem silly but we are a professional business and cannot publish the word “****” in a professional review.  If you would please try to use a different colloquialism we would be more than happy to publish your review of this particular cigar.   

Sean Lamb | Tobacconist | Cigar.com
    PH 800-357-9800 x782 | FAX 877-464-2872 slamb@cigar.com

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    That figures.  I kind of wondered if there was a language problem or even just really bad grammar.  The site seems to have some standards.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    That's why I asked him to post a copy of the review he submitted, thinking the problem was on his end.

So he's one of those that register, gripe, and never comes back...  I hope he does, and tries to fit in.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭

Cigar-662222

Thank you for choosing Cigar.com and brining this issue to our attention.  We read your review thoroughly and made the call not to publish it due to one simple reason.  The issue was not that you were giving a negative review of the cigar but you used the word “****” to describe the cigar.  It may seem silly but we are a professional business and cannot publish the word “****” in a professional review.  If you would please try to use a different colloquialism we would be more than happy to publish your review of this particular cigar.   

Sean Lamb | Tobacconist | Cigar.com
    PH 800-357-9800 x782 | FAX 877-464-2872 slamb@cigar.com
     I love when you hear the rest of the story...Thanks for clearing this up Sean.

Hahaha... even the mods can't say shït. 
    The verboten word in this case was t-u-r-d....  >:)