Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor project

NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
Well I finally got the new humidor in. It needs some work lol, but I knew for the price I was paying it was basically a DYI project

So here is what I am starting with:

Comes with this cool name plate :)

This stuff needed to go in there

So now it lights up :)

And "There she blows" :smiley:

The seal on the door is absolute crap. I will take it to work on Monday and fix that. I make machines that do this for a living so I think we can fix that leaky door lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hsulFyr5vM&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very cool, neat project and very rewarding I'm sure :) Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Thanks Brett :) When I can finally put the Bovedas in there I will be happy, but I have to wait until I fix the door on Monday. 
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great start. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Can't wait to see it overflowing.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    I hear ya! Once I feel comfortable with my stock I will be looking for one of you to sponsor me in a trade. It will be a few weeks at minimum. But I am looking forward to getting there. No hurries though. 
  • Options
    Jcdawg23Jcdawg23 Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Very cool! I would like to have a humidor like that one day. Maybe an end table or coffee table humidor 
  • Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    @NorthsideSmoke that looks great man!

• Options
    Jcdawg23 said:
    Very cool! I would like to have a humidor like that one day. Maybe an end table or coffee table humidor 
    Wish I could keep it in the living room but my other humidor got over 75 so I did not want to chance it, so downstairs in the basement it went. If I ever finish it off down there it would sure look cool.

Ryan1990 said:
    @NorthsideSmoke that looks great man!

• Options
    Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking good. Wish I had the tools and skills to take on something like this. Love the style of the humi.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    nice project @NorthsideSmoke, I'm getting excited, we dont see many empty  humidors around here
    lol, well the other two are packed. It's going to be a minor miracle if I don't end up with a tupador before this one is seasoned :)

Looking good. Wish I had the tools and skills to take on something like this. Love the style of the humi.

I like the style too, it would fail miserably though if a person did not fix the seal on the door. I think simple weather stripping would work. But when do you get to match up your job with your hobby? lol. plus no seams in the gasket :)  
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If temperatures are keeping you from displaying thjs where you want you might look into a cooling unit for it. I noticed while cleaning dust off the intake of the cooling unit on my wine cooler that that unit is self contained and could be attached to any unit, it is 16W x 14H x 3 deep
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    I am OK with it being downstairs. I think if it were up here and I saw it all the time, I would probably smoke a lot more lol. 
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great @NorthsideSmoke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Great job! It's bu-tee-full.  May I ask what the PVC contraption is in the background?
  • Options
    james40 said:
    Great job! It's bu-tee-full.  May I ask what the PVC contraption is in the background?
    It was the return on my old reef aquarium. I took it down before the move to the new house and have not set it up again but plan to maybe this winter.

• Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Where did you get the lights and fan unit?
  • Options
    So progress today:

Here is the gap I was referring to with the door. You can see how much light is coming through the door. So pretty much this would have been a very small china hutch if I did not fix this. :) 

Here is the door with the new gasket:

That fixed it :). But I do need to add a couple of new clasps on the other side of the door, the gasket was a bit high and the door won't latch. I don't think it will be hard to fix. Should have it done tonight and then I can put all those Bovedas in there and get it seasoned.  

• Options
    Looks terrific, wow you do some outstanding work way to go and thanks for sharing! More pics when it is done brother!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thanks again Brett!

So all done except for the hard part... Waiting two weeks before I can use it :)

The new clasps worked great

So she's loaded and on it's way to actually being useful 

Wasn't really sure where the best place to put the Hygrometer was. I settled for the middle The analog one that came with it has been on 60 every since I got it. Out in the garage down in the basement... I have my doubts it's working lol. anyhow this one is.

Post edited by NorthsideSmoke on
  • Options
    Anyone that thinks they'll need some 84% Bovedas in the near future let me know. I am sure we can work something out. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could probably use some when your done to season my winedor.  Need to pick up the shelves first and clean it up a bit.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    for sure man pm me we can work it out for sure. 
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I could probably use some when your done to season my winedor.  Need to pick up the shelves first and clean it up a bit.
    No need to season something that is plastic. Unless your putting trays, boxes, or cedar shelves it's ready to go
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    think that's what he's planning to do when he get's the shelves. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yes, I'm planning on ordering five spanish cedar trays to hold my cigars inside. 

BTW, @NorthsideSmoke, that's one sweet looking humidor.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Very sweet humidor and dig the latches, nice job and keep up the good work! Btw same hygrometer I use and works great for me, think the placement is perfect too. If anything you could out one high and one low or just leave the middle ;)

Brett
  • Options
    Thanks Brett, I think I will add another hygrometer and put it up near the top shelf, But I am not going to worry about it until I open it in two weeks. But it would drive me crazy not knowing. the bottom shelf will have a hygrometer in the humidifier. I also have one more fan plug to add a 4th fan. but I wanted to see how things progressed before I add it. Likely it will go on the opposite side on the middle shelf. I have some extension cables if I do decide to put one there.   
  • Options
    Yeah I hear ya, I'm the guy that has to know exactly what all the areas are doing independently of each other. I have two hygrometers in the coolidor alone for top and bottom etc. Keep up the good work and looks great, be patient while it seasons ;)

Brett