Home Cigar 101
Options

Cellophane Wrappers?

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, I'm a newbie so please go easy on me. When I store my cigars should I remove the cellophane wrappers. I have a Boveda 69% packet. Thanks in advance.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really it is your prefepreference, leaving it on doesn't hurt anything.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your choice. It's personal preference. The cello saves the wrapper from being damaged so I leave mine on.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cello acts as a slight humidity buffer too, I just leave them on.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For storing leave it on. If you pick around in your sticks a lot leave it on. Best to leave it on unless aging but thats a very subjective completely different discussion with lots of variables.

Theres very few cigars that I took it off of and it wasn't to age them on those, more to do with rushed production, or cigars that were put in freshly lacquered boxes that hadn't finished out gassing resulting in the cellophane to smell horrible like solvent, the cellophane was the only thing that saved those certain cigars from being ruined.

As others have said it truly is personal preference.    
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Who cares?
    Do what you want.

If I get cigars with cello, I leave it on.
    If they come without, such as ISOM or Padron, it goes in without cello.
    Mostly cause I'm too lazy to give it much thought.

But I will agree that the cello helps protect your cigars if you are like me and have to go digging to find the cigar you want. The cellophane helps protect your cigar from handling.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I put my non-cello cigars in a box instead of my trays so I don't paw through them and damage the wrappers, most of the cigars I pick up have the cello.
  • Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about cigars that you get in ziplocs? Should you take them out to store them since the bags are theoretically air tight?
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just open the ziplock.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Also my rh has dropped a couple percent to 63 recently. I've got 2 60 gram 65% bovedas in Tupperware. What's the absolute lowest rh at which one should worry?
  • Options
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These guys who buy their FXSS perfectos in boxes of fifty, three / four boxes at a whack, they mostly prefer them pre-punched and nekkid. They tell me that on the phone all the time. I spose when you're smoking six or eight daily you just get tired of hunnerds of cellos layin all over every corner of the shop. Sides, who wants to waste time unwrapping your gar when yer busy wrassling a rebuilt tranny into place. Just reach in and light one, is all you got time for. Got one customer, he's 94, he still works at his law firm, he told me he can't take the distraction if he has to unwrap one. Middle of heavy thinkin, doesn't want to look away from what he's doing to strip a smoke, cause that makes him forget where his mind was. Course, these guys don't keep their smokes on hand long enough to worry whether they dry out. Apt to consider the crisper drawer or the spring house as long term storage. Mostly, like em fresh. Some of these cheaper gars, they come with a cello that has a red stripe you pull. Pull the stripe & the whole deal whips off, just like the cello on a cigarette pack. American ingenuity. None of the bands are glued. I like that part myself. Some of these fancy oversized bands on premiums, I've had to fiddly freakin fool with them -- especially when I have recently cut my fingernails.

Me, I do like cellos cause I tend to root round the humi from time to time, just cause it smells so damn good in there. Nakes get beat up in the admiration process. But I'm mostly just rootin in the humi; my actual smoke that night is apt to come out of a box of naked home rolls.

Hey I scored some wonderful molds and rolling boards and stuff yesterday. Among them, some neat little sample boxes. Nifty tobaccoiana. I need to take pics.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    I'd like to see those pictures, Davis.
  • Options
    mpomariompomario Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I leave them on for protection when I rotate stock.  I usually always take a couple out of the cello because they are going to be the first to go up in flames.  The cello is permeable to gases and I agree they are a buffer for RH fluctuations.  
    As far as RH, 63 isn't bad.  There are a lot of folks who keep their stash right around that number.  Your bovedas are going to keep stuff a couple points lower than their rating anyway.  If that is too low for you you may want to move to 69% packs to shoot for 66-67.  
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have cigar cello photos under a microscope? 
    I did a search a while back and couldn't find any info. Curious to see if there is a repeating pattern or random holes for humidity in and out. I assume the cello is made in sheets, the cut and folded to fit specific cigar sizes. TY 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Guitarded said:
    Does anyone have cigar cello photos under a microscope? 
    I did a search a while back and couldn't find any info. Curious to see if there is a repeating pattern or random holes for humidity in and out. I assume the cello is made in sheets, the cut and folded to fit specific cigar sizes. TY 
    I think cellos are supposed to "breathe" unlike a plastic bag. Not sure what the molecular structure looks like!

Edit: http://reallytinystuff.blogspot.com/2015/01/cellophane.html?m=1

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link!
    It was a slow day at work, so I had a little time to do some research. 
    Cellophane and baggies/plastic wrap are two very different things. 
    Basically cellophane is a product of trees, plastic is petroleum based. 
    Cello will let cigars "breathe" and plastic will not.
    Of course the is a lot more to it and wiki has very detailed info, but no micro pics. 
    Maybe one of my customers from Los Alamos labs has access to a high powered microscope? 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

"plain transparent cellophane is a highly unstable product since it is neither moisture proof nor water proof but is a highly hygroscopic substance which readily absorbs moisture from a relatively humid atmosphere and just as readily gives up or loses moisture in a relatively dry atmosphere. This characteristic vitally v affects the stability of cellophane since when its moisture content is too low, it becomes brittle and breaks easily, sometimes rendering it totally unusable. When its equilibrium is upset becauseof excessive moisture content it becomes stretchy and difiicult to manage, particularly when being processed by automatic machinery as in the formation of cellophane bags, envelopes and the. like."

Source: US Patent Publication Number US2814382 A

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    TightfitTightfit Posts: 2
    I am a newbe to the hardcore cigar affectionato group and was wondering about this very subject.  Putting cigars into a humidor while leaving on the wrapper seemed contrary to the need to keep the cigars from drying out. The idea of micro-holes in the cellophane sure answers that question nicely.  Do across the counter cigars, such as Swisher Sweet Perfectos have the same "holely" cellophane as those higher dollar ones?  I have recently started with cigars and that's what I've been smoking.  They don't stay around long enough to see if they'll dry out.  I go through about 5 or 6 a day.
  • Options
    Cellophane is cellophane. Doesn't matter what it is on.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    And a machine made cigar like a swisher will not dry out, as its not an actual leaf it's wrapped in.

• Options
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the swisher type wrappers were made similar to a paper product but using tobacco bits and pieces to make it. Therefore it is mostly tobacco. True? False?
  • Options
    It is paper made from tobacco pulp, similar to the Leaf by Oscar's band, but since it's pressed to get the liquid out, it acts more as paper than leaf.

• Options
    ^Homogenized Tobacco Leaf is what y'all are thinking of/referring to.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    TX98Z28 said:
    Either way, it's a *cough* Swisher.
    Not like you're gonna hurt the flavor of it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    TX98Z28 said:
    That was what I was thinking, but then I googled homogenized and thought that can't be right. Fat free tobacco leaves... Hmmm...

• Options
    I believe Homogenized refers to all the bits and pieces being put together in such a fashion as to resemble one piece of "leaf" or paper. 
  • Options
    I had only read the first one, you are correct.

ho·mog·e·nize
    həˈmäjəˌnīz/
    verb
    past tense: homogenized; past participle: homogenized
    1. 1.
      subject (milk) to a process in which the fat droplets are emulsified and the cream does not separate.
      "homogenized milk"
    2. 2.
      make uniform or similar.
      synonyms:make uniform, make similar, standardize, unite, integrate, fuse, merge, blend, meld, coalesce, amalgamate, combine
      "Hollywood is homogenizing American cinema"

• Options
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    Either way, it's a *cough* Swisher.
    Not like you're gonna hurt the flavor of it. LOL!
    What I'm saying is some cigar companies use HTL for the bands and they are smokeable, La Gloria Cubana did this for their Truck Show cigars, others have done it also. Is flavor effected? Could be to some when smoking through that disgusting HTL band. A lot of the HTL bands are glued to the wrapper, sometimes making removal impossible.
  • Options
    Comparing a swisher to a La Gloria is a bit of a stretch.
    I wasn't referring to that wrapper as the reason swisher sucks.
    They just do.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: